Today...

Leoo

If it makes you feel better, you're opponent probably saw you warping around like Rick Sanchez , firing wildly at walls

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

There might be a client setting, like turning off some lighting and grass and all that, that makes character models super obvious

or they might be hacking

I don't want to be that calling someone a cheater just because they're better than me. That said i've seen a few very suspect things. Like one guy that literally 2-tapped me crossmap while i was running. When i say crossmap i mean i was so far away from him that my reticle covered his player model completely. I don't know if lag played any role there, whether he was just a godly player, or whether it was something else.

• Like 1

Picked up me new bike. It sure is shaky on highway speeds, not certain whether it is the specifics of a thumper powerplant or the knobbly tires...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I prefer dedicated online games that user server side calculations so that peoples connection issues don't become other peoples problems. Games that rely on clients are too open to manipulation.

180 ping is a bit high though. I mean, it shouldn't be as bad as you're describing, but you'll certainly expect to suffer a bit against people in the 40-70 range. It drives me nuts when I try to play Hero's and Generals since the games take place on servers all over, and finding a NA match can be difficult, but I do a lot better on them.

• Like 1

I prefer dedicated online games that user server side calculations so that peoples connection issues don't become other peoples problems. Games that rely on clients are too open to manipulation.

180 ping is a bit high though. I mean, it shouldn't be as bad as you're describing, but you'll certainly expect to suffer a bit against people in the 40-70 range. It drives me nuts when I try to play Hero's and Generals since the games take place on servers all over, and finding a NA match can be difficult, but I do a lot better on them.

Honestly, i don't know why my ping is that high. I don't know if it's bad internet, or something else. That said, generally ping at around the 200 mark has never been an issue in any games i've played before. My ping on smite is upwards of 200, probably close to 300, and it's never given me any issues. I've had to adjust my "aim" a bit, but that's it. Sometimes i get hit by abilities i feel i was just out of range of, but that's it. And that's when i play on NA servers. I used to play CoD with a friend that lives in NY and my ping was generally around 300 as well, and it never gave me too much of an issue either. I can definitely feel the latency. It's hard to describe, but i could see it. But with H1Z1 the problem is unlike anything i've really experienced before. 

Maybe i just need to turn my graphics settings all the way down and see if that fixes anything. I don't know enough of these things to know if it'll make any difference. Only thing i can think of is that, when i shoot at someone, the hits register client side but they don't register server side. That's the only way i can explain getting hitmarkers but apparently not doing any damage.

I find I notice the effect of ping mostly in 'but I shot first' situations. There is also the ugly reality that at closer to 30 than 20, my reflexes aren't quite prime anymore, so I'm simply going to lose in that scenario a bit more often.

One of the weirdest things I've seen in online gaming is trajectory correction in World of Tanks. The client naturally makes a guess as to what the shell trajectory should be based on what it knows. But if the shell stays in flight long enough and the server trajectory is sufficiently different, you'll see a visible mid flight correction as the client receives the corrected trajectory prior to impact. It's hard to catch live, but I've caught it before in replays.

One thing WoT offers is the server reticle, which I think is recommended past 150-200 ping. It can be a bit trippy to use (because it has latency), but it's synchronised to everything else your seeing so at high pings it tends to be more reliable for actually hitting the target.

I'm trying to design a random/customizable level system vaguely similar to Paper Mario games.

I want to be able to generate/draw arbitrary non-intersecting concave polygons (e.g., Dittos, not Starmies [or blobs, not stars for you dweebs out there]) and then perform various operations, like extrusion, and other transformations, such as generating hills.

Progress, from the top:

rBh7kn4.png

FdXIpw4.png

The interior is a regular grid (not yet triangulated), the exterior is an arbitrary concave polygon. I had to figure out a method to walk the interior to create a hole I can cut in the exterior, but it's beautiful. It's like marching squares, I suppose...

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I like the enthusiasm.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Shower thought: FPS games are the reason why micro transactions are so insane in modern gaming.

Why? FPS games are the root of MLG, but are also the most widely popular among all ranges of gamers from casual to pro.

• It's easy to exploit the FPS mechanic with loot crates
  • new maps will always be in demand
  • MLG pushes popularity of genre, and is backed by heavy marketing (for instance, COD and Destiny))

But what if FPS games followed the same leeching payed content method as say, MMOs? Like instead of paying $60 for the title, and $20 for every DLC there after for 3 years until a new title comes out [like DICE games] ... What if it followed a more...WoW approach? Could you imagine paying $25 down for a title, and then having the game constantly updated graphically and mechanically for decades without ever needing a new title or a new server? And for only $15/mo it could be true!

So why are MMO fans more willing to pay more money in the long run compared to FPS games? I imagine MMOs are more of a lifestyle choice for gamers that continually play them. Almost every 13 year old boy [first world countries only] plays COD on a semi-regular basis. They shell out something like $60/year for a new title and the probably buy DLC here and there as well. The time they spent playing is probably not approaching the "shit bucket" level of old school WoW players.

Now lets look at another paid service genre. Virtual card games ie: Hearthstone.

A new setlist is released every 3-4 months for $50 pre order, and if you want to remain even remotely competitive - you bet your ass you're buying those cards, especially when you can't use last year's cards anymore [in standard format]. 

So what I'm taking way too long to say is, imagine how great the world would be if instead of DICE/EA ruining Battlefront 2. Instead of hiding the majority of the content behind insane barriers and pay walls, they produced a game that followed a more, MMO style paid service. Let's take another EA/DICE game as an example. Battlefield 3. Personally, one of my favorite games of all time. What if instead of releasing Battlefield 4, Hardline and BF1, they had instead focused on creating one complete game? Because lett's be honest all of those titles were actually literally unplayable at launch and took over a year to place in a category of completed. Battlefield 4 only recently reached peak performance and it was released over 4 years ago. What I am hoping you can picture is a world where instead of releasing Battlefield 4 or any other sequels, EA/DICE spent all that time and money fixing Battlefield 3. Once the game reached peak performance, more content/maps/guns/modes could be released. Maybe, a mode that was essentially "Battlefield 4 mode" (given there are a few key differences). Another one could be "World War I mode" and would periodically have content released as if it from BF1. All the while maintaining graphic and mechanical upgrades through patches. Because I don't see a reason why at this point in time we can't just download all of this content from the source itself. We do it all the time from Steam and even Origin. Stop releasing new titles, and start releasing complete games.

Hell, I'd pay a small monthly subscription fee to see a game I like updated and maintained. Because you know how hard it is to find a lively Battlefield 3 server these days? Too damn hard.

I think for some games the idea of sticking to one title and changing to a per month based fee just isn't possible. Their sales would ultimately drop so much that the monthly fee would end up being much more expensive than just buying loot crates, or the cost would at the very least come to a similar amount. You really just can't compare MOBAs and MMOs to FPS games. The market is too much different. And you need to keep in mind, in the case of FPS games (i know this used to be true for COD) a large number of the playerbase are players who never play online. I read an article about 2 years ago which mentioned only something like 39% of the people who buy the game actually ever play online. So if you stop pumping out titles and instead resort to a per month fee, you're losing 60% of your sales per year. Any idea how they're going to compensate for that 60%? Ridiculous per month fees. 

I honestly have no problem with micro transactions, as long as they remain purely cosmetic. I've spent somewhere in the region of $500 on Smite cosmetics. I have no issue supporting a company in that manner. I don't think i've ever spent a dime on crates in CoD, because the idea of pay to win is disgusting. I will,  from a moral standpoint, never support a company or a titles in this manner. 

The problem lies with the gamers, not the developers. They're simply going to do whatever brings them the most profit. And there's an old saying that goes "money talks". Soon as the consumer starts saying no, soon as they stop opening their wallet, things will change. But that's the problem. People are so keen and so eager to get the newest title, the newest item, the newest whatever, they're willing to [bleep] themselves in the ass to get it. And essentially, this is exactly what they're doing. They're [bleep]ing themselves in the ass because they're making things more expensive for themselves, and killing their own playerbase. 

That's how some of the games, like World of Tanks/Warships/Planes and War Thunder work. Sort of. They're free to play titles, like RuneScape, but they have membership packages that unlock faster progression rather than new content (well, some limited cosmetic content). I think the companies behind both these games are hilariously profitable.

And at the end of the day, I don't disagree with their approach. I don't care much for the premium vehicles both games have, but as long as they stay balanced I can tolorate it. At the end of the day though, a multiplayer game needs constant attention to stay relevant. If you just release it to the world and never touch it again it wont last, so subscription based money streams make more sense, because that allows you to keep updating the game.

I would never get into a multipler game that is going to charge me a huge fee upfront and release a new version that will erase my progress a year or two down the road.

And at the end of the day, vote with your wallet. If a company does something you don't want more of, then don't pay them.

• Like 1

I wish more game companies took example from CD Projekt RED. Whenever possible, I get my games from GoG.

In other news, damn how I love my new bike. Did 700 k's on it in 3 days. Pretty much hard for me to break any laws, cause it doesn't get up to high speeds as it's just a 225cc bike, but oh how bloody fun it is in legal speeds. Sweet as, bro.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Got walls done...

And lighting...

but what about microtransactions?

No, no. Now's the time for DLC. He has walls done, so he can release the game and then send out the floors DLC in another month.

You can even get ceilings if you preorder!

Today I found r/malaphor and r/malaphors

It's been a productive day so far

Today was 60 and it was absolutely miserable. I hate the winter months. 

Still better than 60C though...

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.