Why do people look down on skill capes?

cloud5856

I just get tired of seeing tons of cooking/fletching capes, as they seem like an easy way to get a 99.

Being a fan of runecrafting, slayer, summoning and farming, i feel kiiiinda cheated :lol:

Fact of the matter is that some capes will get you more respect than others, especially capes in skills that are hard to train and require more dedication than simply "cook x". I wouldnt look down on a hunter cape - its fast, but its much tougher than cooking and cant be bought.

Also, in my opinion 69 smithing > 99 cooking, ergo quest cape > cooking cape :D

Alternate Philosophy:

"Things just happen. What the hell"

obliviousvk7.png

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite frankly i admire people with a fm cape, they have the attention span to do something so mindnubingly boring over a period of weeks

u think thats hard? trying mining >_< and its gunna b my first 99, though i only have 76 atm.

well, people dont look down on all capes. just the common, easy to buy (cost less than 10m max) ones, i.e.

cooking

fletch

fm

and they are the most common, which sorta adds to the thought of them being lesser capes because anyone can easily make <10m, and buy one of those 3 99s. i honestly dont like people with fm cape, because its a useless skill, and people who get it are usually those who are jealous of those other 99s that are much harder to get, so they get 99 to try and "blend in". but not with the skill capers, but with other fm noobs. i dont openly flame people with 99 fm, but i do think to myself, wow...how lame, get the easiest 99 (and usually untrimmed too) just to try and look cool...i think they just degraded themselves instead of upgrading.

quest cape is great. it shows how many skills you had to level, how much time u put into quests (long and short, easy and hard), and how many miniquests youve done (RFD and Rag and Bone Man, anyone?)

the only capes ive never seen flamed anywhere (forums or game) are:

prayer

slayer

mining

farming

summon

hp

smithing

agility

herb

fishing

runecraft

crafting

and i can see why. they all take a long time to get, and most require a whole lot of money

ive gotten the "youre just jealous of a fm cape" talk, and please...i can sell my mages book and easily get 99 fm in about 2-3 weeks. its not hard. but i dont, cuz i dont feel like wasting time/money on a skill i dont like just to get a 99 which i think is lame.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I never look down on someone because of a Skillcape, no matter which one, but I wouldn't really praise them for it if it's Firemaking, Fletching or Cooking. I'd mostly treat them like they were wearing an Obsidian cape or something.

But, if it's a skill like Summoning, Hunter, or Construction, I'd congratulate them, and the Quest Cape is middle ground for me.

Why? Because of rarity. The less I see of a cape amongst players, the more I'd praise someone for owning one.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Well, this makes me think. If everyone flames you or someone else for having 99 fletching and cooking because they are just soooo easy, why wouldn't they have gotten the 99's already? I doubt anyone who has actually gotten a 99 will flame someone for getting a 99 too, because they would know the hard work that goes into getting that skill cape, no matter which one it is.

Being a fan of runecrafting, slayer, summoning and farming, i feel kiiiinda cheated :lol:

Ditto. I love Construction, and its taking a while to get the skill cape so far. :wall:

r2kuft.gif

Click Here for my RSOF 99 Construction G&A thread! Post your support!

• 2 weeks later...

If I got a 99 firemaking cape for example I wouldn't wear it to show off, I would wear it because (when guilded) it's the best cape in the game.

Edit: Why do you get 99 fletching.

A - To show off

B - For personal fufilment

C - To get the best (stat wise) cape in the game?

If you answer B or C you have passed the test and you are aloud to get the cape :P

fletching makes money not loses it, therefore isnt seen as much of an achievement.

cooking costs about 5m to 99 and can be done quite quickly.

firemaking costs around 5m usually, however some people probably burn yews which costs more but takes a lot less time.

however i dont look down on those skillcapes, merely dont respect them as much as the others. however the menial tasks associated with those skills make it unable to be looked down on.

99-7.gif

Most Difficult Quiz

Rare drops; tzhaar-ket-om: 6 tzhaar-xil-ak: 4 tzhaar-xil-ek: 4 tzhaar-mej-tal: 1 Obsidian cape: 18 Dragon Plateskirt: 4 Dragon Platelegs: 7 Sq Shield left half: 1 Dragon Boots: 1 Dragon Medium Helmet: 11 Draconic Visage: 1 Zamorak Spear: 3 Steam Battlestaff: 1 Godsword Shards: 3 Bandos Chestplate: 1 Bandos Tassets: 1 Abyssal Whip: 1

Also, in my opinion 69 smithing > 99 cooking, ergo quest cape > cooking cape

Lol, 69 smithing > 99 cooking?

The Quest Cape isn't hard to get lol....

Duh 99 Cooking is easier then 99 Slayer, but its not like it isn't an achievment.

The "Buying" Logic is totally crap as well.

You actually spend your time earning your money to get it, and then you don't just suddenly get 99 either.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

from 70-99 Firemaking it took me about 3 months (Nov,Dec,January)

From 78 Agility to 98 Agility it's taken me 7 months (from March-Current day)

I think people mainly look down on capes that are easier to get and don't require much time/effort.

If I was to walk around with my FM cape on i doubt many players will care but with my future Agility cape i'm guessing I could be pole-jumping quite alot :thumbsup:

Zaroterasu.png

Well, i personally dont care HOW easy a skill is, it still takes hours of tedious work to get. Fletching, Fm, and cooking are buyable, does this make them easy to get? Not nessairly.

Currently, im going for 99 woodcutting... I can't wait for it, but it will be a long 300 hours before it comes.

But, if it's a skill like Summoning, Hunter, or Construction, I'd congratulate them, and the Quest Cape is middle ground for me.

I think hunter cape is actually one of the most popular capes. It might have less people who have it but if you do the math and calculate the fact that it has only been out for like 2(?) years it is the most gotten per year or w/e.

Just a little fun fact!

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I think hunter cape is actually one of the most popular capes. It might have less people who have it but if you do the math and calculate the fact that it has only been out for like 2(?) years it is the most gotten per year or w/e.

Just a little fun fact!

You don't think that has anything to do with the Skill Cape update? I mean there's already 500+ people with 99 Summoning too.

i personally have cooking, quest, fletching capes. Quest is the hardest of the 3, because it requires constant maintenance.

how would you like it if every week you had to cut another thousand willows or cage another thousand lobsters, just to keep your skillcape. :?:

(yeah go ahead and say they're easy -_- :shame: )

To throw a a cat amongst the pigeons, i also have the elusive "fire" cape. this cape has BETTER status bonuses in everything except prayer. (and, if you are praying you don't need defence bonus, and if you're not praying then extra def + str bonus wins ;)

while quest, cooking and fetching took several weeks each, the fire cape took my all of 3 hours on the successful attempt.

I spent less than 1 mil, and it was almost enjoyable.

Whatever the cook, fletch, firemaking and maybe thieving cape owners may say, there's just no denying that their capes are the easiest to get.

They require a minimum of money.

They require a minimum of time.

Those two also happen to be the building blocks of the game Runescape.

I happen to have a fletching cape (was already in the high 90's when the capes came out) and a slayer cape. The sense of achievement in the fletching cape comes nowhere near the exuberance I felt at 99 slayer. Now, who of those fletching cape owners would pick the fletching cape for daily wear when there's a slayer cape in their bank? Oh, yeah, it fits better with their outfit, right? Riiiiiight. I think you get my point. Everything is relative to something else, putting the easier capes on the bottom sport of the 99 achievements ladder.

Either enjoy the skill and be proud of your achievement, ignoring the flamers, or set yourself higher aims if you want to feel the respect.

Some current numbers:

People with fletching cape: ~49k

People with cooking cape: ~50k

People with strenght cape: ~54k :twss:

0mg everyone flame dat guy with str cape, every1 has it!!!!1!!one!

If a lot of people has some skillcape, it doesn't really mean that it's easy. :roll:

2qcigdz.png

Imo I think the noobiest capes are cooking and fletching they aren't respected as much as they were before. reason why is because almost anyone can buy it easily and i mean anyone i used to respect it before but now eh its lost all respect to me just like full dragon.

When I had my skillcape strangely enough I didn't have this problem. Perhaps because I wore a cape shared with only 1,025 other people? How long before people give up this "proud to be wearing a skillcape that's often seen on a daily basis and is no special occurrence".

I went to look out of curiosity:

Players with 99 Cooking: 50,664

Players with 99 Fletching: 49,794

:lol:

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

People look down on 99s cause they know they're too easy 99s.

Look, I'll give some examples

99 RC is looked down on cause you seem like a nerd with no life.

99 Fletch is looked down on cause its the easiest, and quite frankly CHEAPEST one in game.

99 Cooking is almost the same, just easier in 1 way since you can do it in ftp.

99 Con is looked down on cause you seem like the worlds biggest nerd who sits there somehow getting 50m per min and using 50m per min.

The people who look down on good 99s are complete idiots who are, out of jealousy, calling you a nerd.

The people who look down on bad 99s arent complete idiots. Just slightly.

I admit I look down on people with an untrimmed easy cape if they are higher level than me. Im level 96.8 with no 99s, none over 90, but thats because the skills i want as 99 first are expensive. Unlike the people who go for 99s for the stat bonuses and to brag

99Fletch: "Zomg i have epic total xp noob"

Me: "In the easiest skill to level. And plus, my total is better than yours by around 150."

^that usually happens with me and some idiot who thinks they rule cause of lame 99s.

:)

I dont need a siggy no moar.

A skill cape is a skill cape to me.

There will always be skills that take more/less time than others, Skills that are easier/harder than others. If every skill took the same time and had the same difficultly it would be boring.

swordfight2.png

swordfight2.png

Quest Cape - Combat 94, Done Grandmaster Quest - 27/11/08, Combat 115

Godwars: 1 Sara hilt, 1 Bandos hilt, Bandos boots, 2x Steam battlestaff, Zammy spear, 6 Shards.

Dks: 1 worrior, 1 axe

You can get 11m fletching xp in a single day. 1 day of training aint that much lol, so nothing really impressive there. Any skill that can be got to 99 in a week doesn't really impress me, as it takes no real dedication, and usually not even that much money. Doing a skill to 99 just for the sake of a cape seem stupid to me. People used to stop at 95 or something in cooking to stop burning sharks, training the skill alongside fishing for practical reasons. You used to even making profit buying raws then selling cooked. The mass of noobs who rush for the fastest, easiest 99 have ruined the skill entirely. I would like to one day get 99 in every skill, and I have a feeling I won't even buy the capes for fletching/cooking/theiving, let alone wear them.

enzock.gif

Proud Leader of the Corruption Clan. PM me to set up a fight or for any queries relating to my clan.