What has Runescape taught you in rl?

sarg1010

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the time I played RS, I believe I improved upon many areas...

1) Typing: Obviously talking to friends has become much faster. Before the multitude of updates, one of the very few ways to sell things was to spam World 1 Varrock and in order to do so, I would have to type "Selling yew logs 300 each ~ aznmidget448" before my previous message disappeared.

2) One could argue that it helped my English language, but I think the lack of grammar in game actually hindered it slightly.

3) Mental math was a huge thing. Need to calculate how much 3.5k chaos runes would cost at 150 each? I'd have it down within 10 seconds so I can respond to deals quickly.

4) Planning and preparation: In order to be successful in Runescape, you need to plan what you're going to do, how you do it, and how long it will take. In real life, this helped my time management because I knew my limitations and I stuck to them.

5) Stock Market: As a child, I would always listen to my parents talk about their stocks and I couldn't figure out how they worked. Recently, my dad has been trying to sell his shares in a certain company. Instead of being completely oblivious as to what all the graphs meant, I was actually able to predict where the prices were heading (any my predictions actually came true yesterday). The Grand Exchange as well as the original market gave me a good base in business.

6) Multi-tasking: There's no way I can cut oaks, willows, and yews without getting bored. In the past, I've just sat in front of my computer and tried to start conversations with people who I learned to call macroers. Now, I'm able to multi-task: do a math problem, chop logs, math problem, chop logs, etc. I would determine when to look back at my screen by listening to the sounds on my computer. In real life, this has allowed my brain to talk with friends while I complete my homework. Very useful during the Spring when I have jazz band and tennis practice in one day and want to avoid being anti-social.

7) Computers: No, this is not computer skills, but rather the computer in general. Because I used mine so much to play, I was forced to learn why my computer was overheating, why the CD-ROM drive wasnt working, how I could increase my internet speed, using task manager to prioritize my tasks, etc. I also learned a little bit about how horrible my integrated graphics card was and now I recognize what nvidia is. These skills helped me to recently put together a Dell 1420 that will be good for college with decent graphics, dual core (arent they coming out with a quad core soon?) and enough ram to get me through life without max lag.

8) Imagination: Hey, did you hear about the new update Jagex installed for us? Yeah, lets go try it out. New mini-games are great ways to let creativity and imagination help you. Lets take FoG for example. At first, it looks complicated, but as you get used to the game, it becomes a simple game of cat-mouse chase. On the first day I began playing the mini-game, I had figured out how to stay around the edges in order avoid death. Then I figured out how to play around with the teleport houses. Finally, I realized how many points I could score by just standing in the center. These methods of play eventually blended together to allow me to play the best I could and imagination definitely helped to mold me to play the way I do now.

9) Problem Solving: I know many of you do quests with tip.it, rune hq, or salmoneus guides open, and Ill admit I used to do the same. Now (or rather when I still had membership) I do my quests without guides. Its good practice for the brain and although Jagex does tend to be pretty obvious about what to do next, its still fun and good for the brain to solve the riddles and unravel the clues. This definitely showed up in my ability to solve difficult math problems. Being on the math team, I complete tough math problems which requires you to know exactly what you are doing and to solve the problems in ways you wouldnt at first think. Quests have forced me to think in this new way and its definitely obvious in the results of my homework sets.

10) Friends: Alright, so what if I just put this up if I wanted 10 things? But honestly, this is true. In middle school, I was definitely a bit of a loner. I had no social life, I had friends who I didnt hang out with, and I was too shy to voice my opinion in class. Runescape has been a place where I developed my new persona. At first, I was quiet, trying to find my way around, but as soon as I felt comfortable, I met people like Jimmyw and sugarbabe. Ive found out how much fun Ive been missing and that I was able to laugh, play, and be a normal kid. Now in high school, Ive found my niche with a cool group of friends: we hang out, study, and weve actually gotten a trip to Europe planned for the summer of senior year.

So yeah, Runescape has helped me develop skills that I would not have otherwise. I am glad I decided to begin playing this game and that it benefited me even though I was having fun.

Bronze=tin+copper-this showed up on one of my high school science exams, too.

Economics and stock exchange

Casually playing is awesome. Addiction sucks.

How to get around profanity filters that filter out ridiculous stuff.

Making alot of money usually means hard work at perfecting one skill.

You need to have at least one good skill and lots of dedication to get where you want to be.

It actually is possible to burn soup if you're careless enough to leave it in the stove while you go and play internet games

Medieval knowledge

From a player who listed a few signs of RS addiction: You need a license to fish and chop trees IRL.

Some French

Very well-written, aznmidget. Asians rock :D I used to be on my high school math team.

"People are idiots. Some just like to say they reported you to see your reaction, others are just spastic losers that believe everything is reportable, and others got banned and end up reporting everyone because they are mentally disturbed"

Scoring.

goal.jpg

...RuneScape has taught me to be an insanely sarcastic and idiotic person, who often uses too many sexual innuendos, as well as the art of typing.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Definately to type faster and more accurate...also taught me a lot about basic economics.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've learned that steel is made out of iron. :?

I've also been prompted to learn more about eucalyptus trees from a friend in my clan who insisted that they were really called gum trees. I looked it up and apparently they're native to Australia, and many species are indeed referred to as gum trees. They were introduced to California around the time of the gold rush, which is why I see Australian trees around where I live.

Runescape has taught me a few things...

- Increased my typing speed

- Mental Math

- What to do with my money

- If I put my mind to something I can achieve it

- How to have fun

There's a few other things that I can't think of atm.

Massbleeding.png

^dds'er in progress =D

Runescape has improved my english, made me type faster, knowledge about minerals, that ghosts exist, that elves and crystal items exist on the other side of a mountain close to where i live (jk :lol: ), annnnnnnd.... probably some math. ::'

Nothing.

It taught me hwo to spel

That is a terrible joke mate.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

We were supposed to read the story "The cask of Amontillado" next in English. We didn't know we were going to read it. From examining the wine salesman in Draynor I answered the extra credit question on our test asking "What is Amontillado?"

I knew tin and copper made Bronze.

I pointed out a yew tree in Costa Rica because it looks similar in RuneScape.

My English teacher asked what alchemists were for extra credit. I felt really dumb saying it at the time, but I said "People who believed you could converge an item into gold" and I got it half right and I got all the points ::'

That's all I can think of :P

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D