Make Some Servers/Worlds Adults Only?

Dire_Wolf

Just thought I'd throw my two pennies worth in.

It would be different, in some respects if you had the chance to have opportunity to 'interact' (for want of a better word) say solely with other 'adults'.

But to me this smacks of elitism and isn't what I feel the game should be about.

Ok there are people of all ages that play this game, some of them are jerks, most of them are not, but there is no single age group for the jerk-factor so I don't see what there would be to gain by driving a virtual pillar between differing age groups that for the most part either get along nicely or at worst, don't interact.

There's enough barriers between groups of different people in the real world, why should we be asking for them in a game?

I can live with the off-chance that I might encounter the odd person here and there that might peeve me off against the chance of a good and rewarding friendship with someone that I have a common bond.

Also I think Jagex have probably got better things to be researching with our pennies than creating 'Adult-only Servers'. Plus, is it just me, doesn't 'Adult Only' in a mmorpg sound a bit seedy?

I suppose the only way one could play like this is enquiring with people about there age, then if from that you determine there not 'mature' enough for you, you don't interact, but it would probably be your loss, not there's.

Ps, mixture of age ranges (I guess) on my mates list and nearly 38.(haha big kid I guess) \'

Pps, not a 'perv'.

"Boy, sure would be nice to have some grenades, don't you think you think?"

1840554111_a0023e3d17.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly disagree with this statement. Just because some-one is older doesn't mean that they are less inclined to swear or be immature. If you haven't noticed most pedophiles are adults

Lol, sorry but no. There are some teenagers that are mature, but most of them are not. It only takes 5 seconds in a high school to realize that fact. The only reason someone would disagree is if themselves are under 18, then they have no way to even comprehend how age and experience can change a person. I remember my high school years, and how ridiculously stupid most of the kids were. I don't miss hearing about penises every 10 seconds in a conversation, thank you.

2480+ total

Hey let's start here at tipit! :idea:

YEAH!!! THROW THE KIDS OUT!!!! \' \' \'

Then I will never have to read another thread about pulling [wagon] out of your head or wanting to remove the filter so you can be cool and swear with your other adult pretending friends! =D>

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Hey let's start here at tipit! :idea:

YEAH!!! THROW THE KIDS OUT!!!! \' \' \'

Then I will never have to read another thread about pulling [wagon] out of your head or wanting to remove the filter so you can be cool and swear with your other adult pretending friends! =D>

By the looks of it, you'd be thrown out as well :lol:

2480+ total

It's annoying how people KEEP posting "OMGZ THE KIDS WILL ABLE TO LIE ABUT THEIR AGE AND SAY THEIR 18!!!!!!"

I ALREADY explained in the thread how to stop kids from entering. READ people.

Maybe because we are pointing out a specific issue that you need to understand. And I already explained a few posts up how people could bypass your "fool-proof" plan. Incause you dont want to re-read them, Ill repost.

1) Person A talks to person B ingame. Person A invites to pay for person B's members once they get to know eachother online. Now person B is considered an 18+ since she used person A's credit information. A can easily ask for personal infomation now without any restriction, and if he is a stalker, can get all the information he needs.

2) Not all parents care about their kids. This is a sad but true rising problem. A kid can easily say, mommy can you pay 5$ a month for this game? Most parents would say yes, or at least not do much research on the game. They are automatically then given access to an 18+ world.

There is no 100% fool proof way to keep 18- out, it would be impossible. You cant tell who's playing on the computer screen no matter what you do. Its simply impossible.

And the benefit is that you get rid of all the idiotic little kids, and end up with a mature community. And NO, people won't start swearing like no tomorrow. If you've noticed, it's the preteens and teenagers who thinks it's "cool" to swear. AND you don't have to take down the filter, simply slim it down. And tadaa, you've got a decent community.

1) Explain to me how a community who now has the option to swear is a better community than one that can only say ****? If you want the community to be more "decent" you shouldnt losen the filter at all. Curse words are profanity.

Profanity has therefore always been used to describe a word, expression, gesture, or other social behavior which is socially constructed or interpreted as insulting, rude and vulgar, or desecrating or showing disrespect as measured by the religious elite

2) Im over 20, Im not willing to say by how much, and I can tell you adults are just as immature, sometimes less mature, that teenagers. You think people in the big world dont throw around cursewords all the time? I hear more curse words being used everyday at work, then I would an entire week back when I was in highschool.

3) I believe things are fine the way they are. If you want to talk without a filter or more "advanced" community, you have the option to use programs like IRC, MSN, Skype, and other chatting applications. You can kick freely on these, and manage it how you want.

I just dont feel a change on RS is really needed. It opens to many risk factors, means more time Jagex has to spend on abuse reports and things of that nature, which ultimatly means less time they spend on updates.

Also I dont like the fact that if my kids were to have members, when im not around, they would easily be able to join an adult world without my permission. If I was not an observant parent and played this game as well, if your idea was the case, I would have no idea that my child could be talking with a possible peudofile, or someone that could endanger my child.

dawnsigblue-3.png

I would like a more mature server, maybe without the filter since that thing even blocks my username 'Warriorcc*0', ya...

It would be nice without dealing with people who are half-minded and I doubt people would start swearing, WoW never had that problem, or a optional filter like WoW would be nice also.

Dr_Brinner.png

I strongly disagree with this statement. Just because some-one is older doesn't mean that they are less inclined to swear or be immature. If you haven't noticed most pedophiles are adults

Lol, sorry but no. There are some teenagers that are mature, but most of them are not. It only takes 5 seconds in a high school to realize that fact. The only reason someone would disagree is if themselves are under 18, then they have no way to even comprehend how age and experience can change a person. I remember my high school years, and how ridiculously stupid most of the kids were. I don't miss hearing about penises every 10 seconds in a conversation, thank you.

So let me get this straight your idea of Utopian rs worlds with no vulgarity is to remove the current mechanism to stop lewd remarks. The truth is their are plenty of people over the age of 18 who are foul mouthed. So just because some teenagers are foul doesn't negate my point whatsoever.

britonlongbo.png

Rule 1: Offensive Language

We have this rule to maintain a pleasant environment in our games. For many people it's not much fun playing if there is someone else being rude or offensive, so please consider others when chatting. Also please remember that not everyone playing is the same age or from the same background, so may be more offended or upset than you expect.

This is mostly cause of kids so...

I don't see anything in there about it being for kids. Honestly, I wouldn't mind being in a world where the censors were turned off. I'd rather not have to write a sentence that winds up being "I'm ****** *** ** ****** with fish in **** *** ****." That's why I hate the censor. :D But honestly, I don't want to be in a world where there would be a bunch of people feeling like they could swear all the time and so that's what they do. And there would be people that did that. Plenty of them. And I don't want that either. So I'll stick with mixed messages about fish. :)

edit: As far as maturity means you can swear, I think there becomes a line where you quickly become less mature after swearing more. I'd like to think that I'm somewhat mature (I may not seem like it always, but I'd like to think it), and I definitely don't spend all my day swearing. There are plenty of ways to get your message across without swearing. =)

This is a suggestion, because Adult worlds don't exist. But anyways this would never work, kids would go onto the world, plus who would discuss stuff can't be heard in front of kids on Runescape, the mall is much better place to pick up girls and the girls are hot too.

Retired from Runescape September 1, 2008

Ahh...one of the great debates of our time.

I'm all for more freedom and less restriction, especially one the rules. I've always been against the censor, and even *some* Jagex Moderators think it's a bit overdone. However, the target age of Runescape seems to be that tween/preteen crowd. I do think they need to loosen up quiet a bit on the censor, but as for the personal information, I think they should keep that the way it is, for the safety of ALL users.

I like other people's ideas of an option to turn the censor on/off which would release Jagex as being liable for things said in game. Or at least uncensor MOST words. There are certain words that I don't think have any place in the game at all. It'd certainly make my 'job' easier.

ohmygosh3gk9.jpg

This is impossible and, quite frankly, the worst idea I have heard in a long time. The internet doesn't have an inbuilt lie detector - people can lie through the net! *SHOCK HORROR*. So this means the whole non-filter thing will just fall to pieces. In fact, I'd bet on it actually *actracting* noobs onto the world just to swear and preach without the filter.

Now, please, stop making pointless threads to get your post count up.

UrbanLegend.png

[hide=]

So let me get this straight your idea of Utopian rs worlds with no vulgarity is to remove the current mechanism to stop lewd remarks. The truth is their are plenty of people over the age of 18 who are foul mouthed. So just because some teenagers are foul doesn't negate my point whatsoever.

[/hide]

Adults are more mature than kids, it's scientifical fact. Kids have not yet reached their full intellectual, emotional, social and physical growth, by definition they are immature. Furthermore, they are much less experienced than adults.

You still think kids are more mature than adults? Perfect, stay on the kiddy servers with the other children.

As for adults, many would gladly leave behind the hordes of obnoxious kids behind for a more mature and older community.

2480+ total

[hide=]

[/hide]

Adults are more mature than kids, it's scientifical fact. Kids have not yet reached their full intellectual, emotional, social and physical growth, by definition they are immature. Furthermore, they are much less experienced than adults.

You still think kids are more mature than adults? Perfect, stay on the kiddy servers with the other children.

As for adults, many would gladly leave behind the hordes of obnoxious kids behind for a more mature and older community.

Not all kids are like that, but most is...but iagree.

[hide=]

[/hide]

Well you continue to ignore everything I have said. What I am saying is that making an adult world with a extremely small censor is worse then what you have now on a maturity level. I didn't say that children were more mature, I'm saying that the immature people over 18 will simply use that server making It a lower level of cleanness then what you have now.

Your position is a complete contradiction. We want maturity so please give us the ability to be immature #-o

If you really want to be the champion of maturity and pleasant conversation all you should want is a super censor that makes asterisks of anything that could be in any taken as objectionable

britonlongbo.png

[hide=]

[/hide]

Well you continue to ignore everything I have said. What I am saying is that making an adult world with a extremely small censor is worse then what you have now on a maturity level. I didn't say that children were more mature, I'm saying that the immature people over 18 will simply use that server making It a lower level of cleanness then what you have now.

Your position is a complete contradiction. We want maturity so please give us the ability to be immature #-o

If you really want to be the champion of maturity and pleasant conversation all you should want is a super censor that makes asterisks of anything that could be in any taken as objectionable

Mmhmm, this is what I've been thinking about the whole censor thing the whole time. I'm just glad it's improved over the years from accidentally censoring whole sentences that were harmless. =P

[hide=]

[/hide]

You talk as if the censor is the only thing that factors in the enjoyment of a community. Just being around other adults, instead of kids, is an improvement of epic proportions. And as I said, a slimmer version of the current filtrer is just fine, it would block the obvious offensive words, while deblocking all the ridiculous things Jagex currently blocks. Some mmorpgs, without even age restrictions don't have filtrers at all. Is it chaos or anarchy? No, because no one makes a big deal out of it, and you can still report offenders. Out of all the gaming companies, it's only Jagex that's making a big deal out of the "offensive language", and putting these ridiculous filtrers. Why? Because Jagex themselves said they will target more and more kids in the future, they want to make the game kid friendly. And since they're doing that, it's only fair for adults to have a few adult servers, it's not asking for much here.

2480+ total

[hide=]

[/hide]

You talk as if the censor is the only thing that factors in the enjoyment of a community. Just being around other adults, instead of kids, is an improvement of epic proportions. And as I said, a slimmer version of the current filtrer is just fine, it would block the obvious offensive words, while deblocking all the ridiculous things Jagex currently blocks. Some mmorpgs, without even age restrictions don't have filtrers at all. Is it chaos or anarchy? No, because no one makes a big deal out of it, and you can still report offenders. Out of all the gaming companies, it's only Jagex that's making a big deal out of the "offensive language", and putting these ridiculous filtrers. Why? Because Jagex themselves said they will target more and more kids in the future, they want to make the game kid friendly. And since they're doing that, it's only fair for adults to have a few adult servers, it's not asking for much here.

I do understand your point, and though I don't agree completely, I see where you're coming from.

britonlongbo.png

This is a suggestion. Therefore, it be longs in the "Suggestions" forum... If it is up for debate, users can post their opinion of to or not to there.

-_-

-Retired from Runescape on August 12, 2008-

Working out topic

Everything related to working out! Ask questions, get honest answers. Share your experiences, work out routines, stories, opinions, and discuss about working out! Everything :). Check it out :)

[hide=]

[/hide]

That seems much more sensible and I wouldn't mind something like that taking effect. =) I just believe that there are definitely some things that need censoring... however words such as "damn" or "crap" may not need to be censored. Especially "crap" =P, I accidentally use that one all the time and then feel bad because it looks like I'm doing some pretty heavy four-letter-cursing :D.

A server for adults to be on and they wouldn't have to deal with "HEY LOL! I'M NEW GIVE 3K PLZ?" Yeah, I'm for that. Though I like the idea of a server where you have to have at least a specific IQ to get in more. :D :roll:

I'd love an adult-only world, but it ain't gonna happen. There's no way for Jagex to verify that someone is truly over the specified age. Besides, I doubt that discrimination based on age really is the key to solve the harassment from immature players.

And Jagex... well they obviously are obsessed with parenting all of us. Runescape is truly the most sad game on this planet (at least, that I know about) when it comes to "controlled" gameplay. My God, they're really obsessed with it. And it doesn't help anything at all. You won't mature kids by putting up a lot of rules and having a censor. People will still be rude, offensive and immature. Perhaps they don't have easy ways to show their offensive language, but there will always be plenty of opportunities to offend someone.

But yeah, Jagex doesn't see it this way. They're just being the saintly hypocrites they always are. No way we'll be getting adult-only worlds.

Not going to happen, they have the filter there for a reason - to block swear words and other innapropriate content. If you wish to play more adult-like games I suggest you look for a different game because myself, and i'm sure many others, don't want RS to become a feeding ground for swear words and IRL dating - that's what the REAL WORLD is for :P

Oh, and before you quote me and flame me for my opinion, i'd like to tell you that if you don't want to listen to people not agreeing with your idea, then you should close this thread - because everyone is entitled to their opinion... good or bad ::'

2vuhgcn.png

not to be mean or anything, but do people read jagex suggestion guidelines b4 posting this stuff? one of the "do not post about" things is do not post about mature content, and that is basically what this is.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Someone said "use clan chat for mature talking"....me and a friend were talkin and i accidently said a thing in public chat:

The 1 guy who were around said he wouldnt report me, but what is guarntree?

I said "Cartmans mother is a [garden tool]" = South park...

So, much of clan chats there.