Bounty Hunter - Huge Mistake On Behalf Of Jagex?

sirgudi

As several people have pointed out, the BH/balanced trade/etc. updates were really meant to target only the things that were causing financial strain on Jagex - gold farmers using stolen credit cards AND requiring massive amounts of customer support to combat the RWT'ers and issue all the bans that were necessary. Defeating gold farmers that utilized the practice of botting & using stolen cards was the primary objective of BH & related updates, and it was a resounding success.

If you look at current gold farming sites other than the one you've provided as an example, most of them require you to give them your RSN & password so they can log directly onto your account to farm the gold for you. This alone tells me that RWT is never going to be at the levels it once was, since it is neither rapid nor secure for the buyer. It also tells me that BH sufficiently delays account-to-account transfers (ie., letting the buyer kill the seller's account with valuable items in its inventory), which was the point of implementing BH. Have you ever tried splitting a drop from god wars and then "transferring" the profits in BH due to not using/not having coinshare? In case you didn't know, it's more difficult than just clicking on someone and selecting "trade"; gold farmers who try to transfer from account-to-account are slowed down in the same way.

RWT is not nearly at the levels it once was, and neither is the financial distress on Jagex resulting from said practices. The premise of your thread was that RWT is still thriving in the same manner it once was, which is simply not true; completely disregarding the magnitude (which is difficult to measure or estimate though I'd bet anything less gold is traded now than was a year ago), the mannerisms are at least different, and (to Jagex) that is a key component.

LOL! TL;DR!!1

RWT WAS COSTING JAGEX MONEY. THEY TOOK ACTION TO MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T COST THEM MONEY ANYMORE; IF RWT IS STILL HAPPENING JAGEX REALLY DOESN'T CARE AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T COST THEM. JAGEX IS A BUSINESS.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have one solution: allow RWTing. :roll:

And let the game crash before Christmas because of JAGeX being accused of Credit Card Fraud. Sure seems fair to the people that don't cheat doesn't it?

And to the original poster: Didn't you just make a thread in RuneScape Bugs and Suggestions that JAGeX should expand Bounty Hunter out of its area and into the whole of the Wilderness? Now you are saying it is a huge mistake. What side are you on?

EDIT: Wow, 900th post.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

As several people have pointed out, the BH/balanced trade/etc. updates were really meant to target only the things that were causing financial strain on Jagex - gold farmers using stolen credit cards AND requiring massive amounts of customer support to combat the RWT'ers and issue all the bans that were necessary. Defeating gold farmers that utilized the practice of botting & using stolen cards was the primary objective of BH & related updates, and it was a resounding success.

If you look at current gold farming sites other than the one you've provided as an example, most of them require you to give them your RSN & password so they can log directly onto your account to farm the gold for you. This alone tells me that RWT is never going to be at the levels it once was, since it is neither rapid nor secure for the buyer. It also tells me that BH sufficiently delays account-to-account transfers (ie., letting the buyer kill the seller's account with valuable items in its inventory), which was the point of implementing BH. Have you ever tried splitting a drop from god wars and then "transferring" the profits in BH due to not using/not having coinshare? In case you didn't know, it's more difficult than just clicking on someone and selecting "trade"; gold farmers who try to transfer from account-to-account are slowed down in the same way.

RWT is not nearly at the levels it once was, and neither is the financial distress on Jagex resulting from said practices. The premise of your thread was that RWT is still thriving in the same manner it once was, which is simply not true; completely disregarding the magnitude (which is difficult to measure or estimate though I'd bet anything less gold is traded now than was a year ago), the mannerisms are at least different, and (to Jagex) that is a key component.

LOL! TL;DR!!1

RWT WAS COSTING JAGEX MONEY. THEY TOOK ACTION TO MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T COST THEM MONEY ANYMORE; IF RWT IS STILL HAPPENING JAGEX REALLY DOESN'T CARE AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T COST THEM. JAGEX IS A BUSINESS.

tl;dr

Seriously though that was way too long but I agree and disagree anyway. While Jagex got the fix they were looking for the bottom line is it didn't stop RWT.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Now RWTing is back to the level it was at when PKing was around.

Um no it's not lol. Before it was easy as telling someone to meet in edgeville bank, trading them money, and logging off. Now you have to spend time in bounty hunter trying to do it.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

RWTing is nowhere near the level it used to be. Gold farmers were the biggest problem before, but now they can't do it. The only RWTing that I think could be going on, is one person making money on their own, and then selling that money on their own. It won't cause massive economy problems like gold farmers were, as there isn't a MASS amount of people doing these boring repetitive things day after day, bringing raw materials into the market. If they want to RWT? Fine. I hope they get caught and banned for it, but as long as it's not affecting how I play the game, then I'm not to worried about it.

Blakdragon39.png

i gave money to my friend trought bh f2p mid crater , its so easy to survive with 50 def full rune full swordy and some prayer , i gave him full zammy 2 time , he didnt even used half of swordy each time . ( this was just to tell its easy to give ,transfere money ) i personatly know someone thats have one of those web site thats sell GP , he is bullshhhh and make real money out of this , and some one i kno from richyt old sch00l time sold around 150-170 million throug bh 6 $ each . I know thats jagex didnt get those scammer and rwt out of the game , but now , u dont see them anymore , its not gold farmer lvl 3 thats make money now , its main lvl 100s.

READ UNDER THIS BEFORE FLAMING MY ENGLISH.

something to say about my english grammar ?!?!? , okay , but do it in french !

banner20mmj2.png

he had sold 14 bill about 3 months before the update, and 18 bill about 2 weeks after the update. Now hes at 21 bill...

If you want proof of how many gold traders there are, do some research, use google and just search runescape gold or sumthin. I'm not advertising it, but everyone wants proof so there it is...

Ways to trade are just various items, trading accounts etc..

The account name in that pic was banned years ago for said offense.

That fool even tried to make his peace here on tipit.

I wonder if its him or have other people just barrowed his "fame".

Waiting for the Cursed You Gp shop....

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

The account name in that pic was banned years ago for said offense.

That fool even tried to make his peace here on tipit.

I wonder if its him or have other people just barrowed his "fame".

Waiting for the Cursed You Gp shop....

I think he is known as R2Pleasant on the well known forums for RWTing that is censored here on tif. He probably has a ton of mule accounts with all diferent combat levels to x fer into each crater.

When they made the trade limit I heard he was selling accounts, but who knows now.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

RWTing dropped for about 3 weeks, during which RWTers found hundreds of other ways to bypass the trade limit and Bounty Hunter rules. Now RWTing is back to the level it was at when PKing was around.

If you believe its back at the level it used to be at your a very miss guided person, I'd say it was cut by 90% at first and now creeping back at about 80%...

It by no means back as much as you are saying.

I don't understand, if Bounty Hunter is only useable on a handeful of servers, why it isn't possible to have the old servers the same as they where before. I guess this would be too unbalanced..if some servers had a wilderness and some didn't, but I know I personally wouldn't care because I'd have the wilderness back. But in terms of green dragon killers, RCers, and a handful of other things, it'd make it too unfair I guess.

And while they're at it ^^^, fix dueling too. My Verac staker shouldn't go to waste because others break the rules. :P

IrreIephant.png

|Msg me me in-game | IrreIephant|

^ capital i

RWT might still be around, but it's not nearly as rampant as it was before.

Agreed. I think Jagex did a good job with removing RWT. I dont think it was a mistake, just more of a thing that needed to be done. Thats my opinion though.

Yeah. I believe that rwt is still here but i don't see it. I hated rs when there were macroers everywhere. Sure it was rocky for a bit but rs is the best it's been now than ever i think. I have fun.

How did R2 get so much money?

- He is buying 2$ ea and selling 5$ ea. Simple? :P

Is that site safe?

- Yes, no viruses, but be careful not getting scammed by anyone dangerous there.

Wild and stuff was removed because of RWT. And it was costing Jagex money.

- NO. It was Credit Card Fraud. (link to Wikipedia) Banks had to reverse payments and threatened to block all credit card payments for Runescape membership. About 75% of Runescape members use a credit card to pay for their membership. Thus, Jagex wanted a solution. Mostly, the Credit Card Fraud was committed by Asian people/small "companies". (mostly Chinese + not being racist)

Such "companies" had sweatshops, where very lowly paid people worked for them earning Runescape gold. And if someone bought the gold, a few months later they could use the payment info and scam them.

or something like that. long story.

RWT is gone.

- Nope. Party Room, Bounty Hunter, "shop method", and another secret method - 4 good methods to transfer money. 2 of them are mostly obvious. Oh and gold farming, thats what the Chinese do now. And sometimes gold sales are just selling lvl 3 accounts with the gold on it.

Macroing is gone.

- Nope. Only the Chinese macroers who macroed to earn money. There are still many macroers around, but they are not in swarms cutting a single yew tree like the Chinese ones, they just seem like normal people like you and me. They macro just to get those annoying mining levels that are soo annoying to do by urself, or just to earn more money.

I am a member in 3 macroing communities, so I know.

Any other questions.

My goals:
[b]5M coins:[/b] 4350K+ coins 200k+ items - 2 dec 
5M coins - 16 dec
I [b]have gotten[/b] my 5M by christmas.

-bah this is only here for historical purposes now, I got 20m+ already

"fail,well atleast the title,i wont read it with that colours"

"If you hadn't posted in rainbow I would actually give this a proper read"

"Colours suck."

*I remove colours*

"Where did all the colors go!? This is now 40% more likely to be tl;dr'd due to the lack of colors."

R2Pleasent was the dude that crashed the phat market a while back, he uses merching techniques to make money and also, as previously stated, buys at $2/1m.

And yes, i know people who have bought from him. And from what they've seen, he has a lot of GP to spare.....

From a minigame point of view it isn't so much a waste (they could improve it by adding more content to it). The wild was however everything now put into one - so no competition there.

Only proper gold famers farm now, no more regular joes are doing it - since it's a big waste of time. It has slightly cut down RWT trading, as multiple gold stores are still online. But it has definitely stamped out own player trades.

But I find it hard, that a sweatshop, could be so sophisticated in credit card fraud - that they could close down a multi-million dollar company.

Jagex had said that they were banning thousands of accounts that used stolen credit cards to pay membership. That would mean thousands of credit card numbers were being stolen each week/month, and once a credit card number is found to be stolen - it is basically rendered useless, hence the sweatshop would have to steal thousands more credit card numbers each week/month.

So in conclusion these sweatshops were so sophisticated in gaining credit card numbers and details. Yet they are still stupid enough to use these thousands of stolen details to play a game (to make ingame money, which took some time) to make real life money that is already readily available through the stolen details.

"I'd rather bear the comments people say to insult ya, then to poison my skin and erase my culture " - Deep Foundation

The fact that people frequently say things like: Oh I'll just BH you your share of the drop, tells me that the entire activity has been rather pointless. You go onto a partially deserted world with a load of friends so you can actually get into BH without being stuck in the waiting room, and then just kill the guy and take the things. I worked out how to do that while writing this, so it couldn't have taken experienced RWTers that long to figure it out. Jagex seem to have just replaced an old kill-drop-take item system with a vaguely more complicated one.

How they can reduce this problem:

Make BH be restricted to just a few worlds. This would mean that there would never be a deserted world to go and trade things across on, and if they tried to do so on a BH-specified world, hopefully the world would be full enough so that it would be unlikely for them to have the right person as their target, and if they rogue PKed them then picked up anything worth anything, they would have to fight off hungry PKers for 3 minutes before leaving with it.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Like many other things I expect Pking will be sort of a legend that higher levels will tell lower levels about in a years time or so, its almost guarenteed not to come back and I don't blame them to be honest. People knew something was going to be done and still they continued to macro and still sweatshop players continued.

IamIronMan_I.png

Okay so Bounty Hunter may not be perfect in trying to stop RWT, but it does get most of the job done. RWT'ers will always find a way to transfer gold no matter how hard Jagex tries, so they best they can do is to heavily discourage it

ok so people say jagex should just make some better changes to get rid of rwt so here is the ultimate way which was kinda suggested on RSOF becaue people ranted so much about jagex.

1) remove woodcutting so that no one can cut yews for gold for RWT

2) remove firemaking and fletching because there is no wood

3) remove cooking because there is no fires

4) remove fishing because you cant cook your fish

5) then finally remove combat because you dont get any food for it

6) remove herblore smithing because they are combat related

7) remove mining because we dont need this and so with slayer and prayer

and lets remove agility because there is no way to train this without hit points

and lets just remove theiving and runecrafting(also because magic is no more so no need for runes) so that gold farmers can use this to make money

and we might as well remove hunting and summoning and construction since people rant about those skills all the time.

this just leaves farming which people hate so just lets close down runescape and get rid of RWT all together.

so are people happy or do they want to keep on ranting?

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

EDIT:

One gold seller alone (no names mentioned) has sold another 2 billion GP since the release of Bounty Hunter.

I'm not a gold seller and I've found out 8 ways of how to get past the trade limit (not involving hacks/cheats/glitches/that sort of junk), which, obviously, I will not disclose for the sake of runescape. Therefore, ther anti-rwt updates just stopped about 1/8 of the rwters that exist and dissapointed about 7/8 of pkers and rendered about 2/8 of pker's to quit runescape permanently. However, I also think that runescape would be doing about just fine if the anti-rwt updates didnt take place, except maybe a 10-20 price difference in items, not making a change becuase people would get used to it and would find out ways to get much mroe money then needed anyway.

Runescape is just a game, and jagex is in all control of it, and they CAN change the prices on items in teh ge, shops, etc. If they put their powers into good use, the rwters would get bored of rwting, if only rwting was sued for something instead of real money.

So, I know taht the anti-rwt updates were useless because rwters should be getting a 30% profit anyway, as tehy delelop ways tog et past them.

I'd say much more, but that's all I need to say.

Death should not be taken as 'the end,' but a very effective way to cut down taxes.

Hi,

this is NOT just another rant, this is to be discussed, not just dismissed as me wanting PKing back.

So Jagex removed PKing due to RWTing, something that was a massive problem. They removed the old PKing, and replaced it with Bounty Hunter. RWTing dropped for about 3 weeks, during which RWTers found hundreds of other ways to bypass the trade limit and Bounty Hunter rules. Now RWTing is back to the level it was at when PKing was around.

So what are your thoughts? Was Bounty Hunter just a waste of Jagex's time, perhaps there were other solutions?

EDIT:

One gold seller alone (no names mentioned) has sold another 2 billion GP since the release of Bounty Hunter.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but old pking is NEVER comming back. It's gone for good. Notice the dozens of update they made in order for people to be able to play they way they did before RWT? If they brought back old PKing, those update would be the waste of time.