Its been a year since i played Runescape

retaxis2

Ok runescape is mostly pointless and a bit tedious and I understand sometimes it feels like its trying to steal your life/soul/ability to interact socially and as mentioned by some-one else it can be as addictive as hard drugs if your the sort of person that needs to enter into destructive cycles, but IMO this says more about the addict than the substance.

Also writing an essay about why its such a bad thing on a fan site forum seems about as pointless and tedious as trying to argue Christians not to believe what ever [cabbage] their listening to this week.

Ok, so I've been playing Runescape on and off since Jan 02, which means my little avatar is now 6years old and so that represents a massive time/attention investment and I'm very loathed to dispose of that partly because I haven't met any one I'd trust not to just strip the account and partly because it represents IMO something of the sort of person I'd like to be.

vivimancer.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point of view,true for most of people.Runescape is dangerous for the most who don't posses certain dose of self control.But to be honest,if you don't kill yourself with a runescape,you will kill yourself with somthing als.Runescape is just one of forms and "tools" that represent wasting time addictive activities.

As I said,again,you really do need certain level of self control to accomplish well balanced life that not many runescape players have

Thing is I don't see how game could totally take controll of my life by itself,by adictivness of that game.It is still pure human nature and problems that come from beneath our minds that makes it dangerous,game cannot be dangerous by itself,it is the frustration that makes us play it.Otherwise we would naturally stop playing game - which i see ,has become choice of the most of previous forumers who posted here - happily.Its all in our hands,and the direction that our life leads us to.Obivously,you people grew up and became stronger,Im happy about that

I agree game cannot be replaced by activities that involves you more as a human beeing,but playing game isn't just an activity replacment.It is some sort of frustration we do to ourselves,not consciously.

People do kill themselves by ciguares,drugs,and other stuff of this kind IN REAL.It would be pretty odd and mystical to find the reason why.Its just way the humans are

zzZZ [- Glory From Beyond -]ZZzz

Dracula_Magic.gif

i also quit rs almost 2 years ago. best thing i ever did.

if your not enjoying it, don't do it!

the only problem now is i find myself coming back to this forum for the off topic and when there's no new/interesting topics to reply to i find myself bored and hitting the refresh button. i really need to find another use for my computer.

edit: though i disagree with you posting this here, i hope everything is going well for you in your life. ::'

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

Man i started playing runescape in like 2002/3 and for about 3 years i played it. what i started realising though was that wassting your time on a game wasnt fun when you did nothing else with your life. after a year, year and a half i lost all my friends except two really good mates, then i realised i didnt want to carry on playing and making my situation worse, i started going out, meeting girls doing the stuff you should be doing when your 13, hell even when your 10. your experiences and relationships make who you are and you need to develop interests and hobbies. Trust me, if you're one of the many going on RS for like 6 - 10 hours in the summer holidays then you're going to look back at your teenage years and realised you've wasted them, and the longer you play the longer you'll waste and the longer it'll be until you realise what your missing. I sometimes played in the last year or so but realised that there were much better things i could being doing with my time, like playing an instrument, working out and doing exercise, skating, etc.

IMO everyone reading this should just forget about runescape and start living, find some kids round your area, hang out with them and do things at the weekends with them. i still check up on runescape news to see how its doing which is why i am on today but looking at these shields and thinking about what people are willing to do for them proves to me that its A LOT better not playing rs..

if you're having fun playing a game you should "feel guilty". go shovel some manure; that's real man. work up a sweat. go get drunk and get laid man. i know what's best for you and you dont. that is total kah bah gee and so is your post.

runescape isnt really a game though. it is pretty much clicking and clicking and clicking. when training there is nothing fun or interesting about it you just stare at a screen. people who get 99s do this for hours and still arnt that happy with their acheivments. i cpount a game as something like super smash bros, halo, something 3d. something you dont have to spend hours on to feel like your doing well. reading a book or listening to music or playing an instrument would be a much more constructive thing to do. youll develop a skill in real life.,

you should look at your life and think abotu how you want to live and what you want to do, remember that life isn't about work but about havig fun, experiencing the world, meeting new people, getting a girlfriend, traveling etc.

Really, who are you to say what's better for people? How is going out and getting drunk better than playing RuneScape? I've never been arrested for playing RuneScape. If people have more fun playing the game then they do going out with friends, what's wrong with that? I think that people should do what they find fun, or what they like doing. Going out with your friends is all well and good, but if people like to play the game more, who are you to tell them they shouldn't?

I agree that if they don't enjoy they game, and they're still grinding, they shouldn't play. RuneScape is just a game, if people want to play it, let them play it.

Loge_05 Edit: Inappropriate joke removed.

Best games ever, in order:

Final Fantasy VII - PlayStation

Gears of War - Xbox 360

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Xbox

Fable II - Xbox 360

Dead Rising - Xbox 360

Really, who are you to say what's better for people? How is going out and getting drunk better than playing RuneScape? I've never been arrested for playing RuneScape. If people have more fun playing the game then they do going out with friends, what's wrong with that? I think that people should do what they find fun, or what they like doing. Going out with your friends is all well and good, but if people like to play the game more, who are you to tell them they shouldn't?

I agree that if they don't enjoy they game, and they're still grinding, they shouldn't play. RuneScape is just a game, if people want to play it, let them play it.

seriously going out and getting social skills is a lot better than sitting in silence staring at a screen. have you ever gone out and got drunk with friends? those are memories, yoou get a decent sense of humour you meet new people find out about other ways of living etc. you dont want to be socialy retarted because for all your life if you carry on with the attitude you have now you will never TRULY know what lifes about.

i beleive i can tell people what they should do form experience. everyone who has quit is saying how much better living is and they ahve actualy had the experience, im assuming you havnt.

Let me present you with a scenario. Someone quits because of the RWT updates. They then come here and urge everyone to quit because they did themselves. Know what happens? The thread could then be used to heat quite a large building.

This is pretty much the same thing only without the RWT updates. But you guys are congratulating him for telling you what to do. I don't understand it. Maybe he thinks that it was a great decision to quit, and maybe it was for him. But why should I quit just because he thinks Runescape is an addiction? I've quit a few times. I've come back. But I've never quit because someone else told me too and I've never told anyone else to quit either.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

You're so right someone can possible be when you say that everyone should ask themselves why they really play RS. If the answer is something which points at that you might play too much, you should quit immediatelly quite. This game makes a lot of people destroy their own lives. They play too much and offer social contacts and school, just to get better at a few things in a virtual reality.

Myself I have few friends, but I'm very happy with those I have. I put down a lot of time into school and study very much. This has made school go very good for me. I'm very thankful for that I don't have such a hard time not letting the game control me, which I know some people, even some of those who are on my friends list in the game, have.

If you find anything that could be a sign of that you play too much RS, think about it carefully. Because RS is just a non-real world, and the real world actually pwns it.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

But you guys are congratulating him for telling you what to do.

There is a diffrence between telling someone what to do,and sharing personal oppinion on somthing. :shock:

Everyone has right to post about seeing things from diffrent perspective without beeing judged

zzZZ [- Glory From Beyond -]ZZzz

Dracula_Magic.gif

I think a word that is too commonly overlooked when it comes to games of any sort is balance.

I play RuneScape to pass the time, as a hobby, not a priority. It comes after all schoolwork, homework, and friends / family. I currently take three "hard" courses in High School, and manage to do well in all three, even though I play RuneScape.

[hide=RuneScape Addiction Stories]I am only a Sophomore in High School, but I've been playing for 3 years now and in middle school, I regretfully admit, I was addicted. My friends would call me / text message me to hang out on Saturday nights and I would tell them I had prior arrangements [with my computer screen]. Little did they know my thought process was 'I have to get x level tonight!' or my whole homeostasis was thrown off. The lack of social activity made me lose a lot of friends. The only way I managed to hold on to some of my friends was through soccer and school. It was at the start of eighth grade where I really knew I had a problem. I had virtually thrown away my whole summer playing 10+ hours daily, going to sleep at 4am, waking up at 8am; a really unhealthy lifestyle. I went to a soccer camp that summer, and realized that I was generally liked by all people. I was confident, and that I conversed well. I went home and quit RuneScape, to start my healthy social life.

During my eighth grade year, a new skill [hunter] was released, and my addiction came back - but not as severe this time. I would only play on weekends, and slept in normal sleeping patterns. I still went out with friends, and became an average kid. It was during this year when I met a girl who would change my life. We dated, but it didn't work out - but we became great friends. It was during this summer that I took a break from RuneScape, and it was a great decision.

Freshman year was normal, played + started Varsity Soccer, did well in classes, played RuneScape moderately. Then in May of 2008, I decided to really give it up, and I held a quitting drop party worth about 8m.

11ugetk.png

That summer was the best summer of my life. I met so many awesome people from going to parties and just hanging out with my friends. I realized that I really am quite the character, and everyone I met seemed to like me. However, this came to an end a couple of weeks ago when the cops busted the party I was at -.-, so now I'm on lock down.[/hide]

After really reading my story laid out like that, I have decided that after I get these next 3 cooking levels, I will get 1900 total, and quit for good. Not because it's not fun, but because there are better things I can do with my time.

edit: Or maybe I'll stay around for the ultimate quest ;)

206mwr6.jpg

99 Fletching || 288/309 Quest Points || 99 Cooking ||

122 Combat || 99 Defence || 2000+ Total ||

16/25 80+'s || 99 Firemaking || 99 Woodcutting ||

2011 Goals : All skills 80+ | 99 Magic | 99 Farming | 99 Thieving | 99 Hunter | 99 Range

"The Unexamined Life is not worth living" - Socrates

I agree with you completey since I've experienced this myself although I haven't completely quit runescape. I STILL play runescape on occasion but if something such as a party or an outing comes up, I can easily click the log out button.

People that haven't experienced getting drunk with your friends or just doing crazy things on a saturday night are REALLY missing out! I'm not trying to sounds cool or anything, but partying and meeting new people and having crazy memories with your friends is what life's all about! If you're in high school, try to balance work and play. Hell I was on the polo team for four years and that was a tough thing to do! But all in all, for all of you rsers' out there capping on this guy for actually having a point, you OBVIOUSLY haven't experienced a true social life.

zx1ce_c0ldzx.png

I find that people are more mature and nicer to talk to in the internet, and runescape goes fine with it.

Maybe I wouldn't play runescape if I could chat to all these cool people in "real life".

I'm always unsure what brings me back ... friends or just the enjoyment of the game. But otherwise, I balance the two so that friends are my first priority :)

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

I used to be homeschooled and since my parents moved 300 miles south I didn't know anyone in the area, so I started playing rs 10 hours a day, eventualy I realised how misrable I was and convinced my parents that I should go to public school, it's still hard for me to make new friends, but I know a couple people and I only log in when I have nothing else to do.

good read. i put runescape last when im bored. i do have good rl friends and i do good in school. i do agree that rs was fun awhile back but rs just seems to be getting worse. For the most part it is just us getting bored and the other fact that the community and contents itself is dying out.

another thing that should b said.

as the person above wrote, I agree that rs is becoming worse. wayyy back, it was about hanging out, not so much training, and castlewarring all day long. now, it's about who has the most money, who has the highest lvl, &c. rs is becoming a competition instead of a socializing "who cares what happens" game

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

blah rant blah rant.. i got the the third paragraph, and figured this was going no where.. if you don;t like the game, then take your own advise, and don't spam up the forums with this non-sencible crap.

and BTW, i'm not some die-hard runescape player, I hardly ever played, and I just started playing more now, I have a social life etc.. I just hate reading things like this, sorry.

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great