Behind The Scenes - October Edition

darkjab

October is traditionally a month of scary surprises and toothache. This month will be no different when it comes to scary Halloween content. And for scary surprises: how about entire worlds where you can PK and hunt other players to your hearts content? Thats right, PvP worlds are coming!

October is traditionally a month of scary surprises and toothache. This month will be no different when it comes to our Halloween content, with a quest AND holiday event both to be available on the free servers. For scary surprises: how about entire worlds where you can PK and hunt other players to your hearts content? Thats right, PvP worlds are coming! But first, a few words about how were going to update RuneScape in the future.

During the last six months weve been reading through the forums, talking to you in-game and running polls on the sorts of updates you really want. It doesnt take a genius to realise that its the bigger, chunkier updates that really get you excited, those like the God Wars Dungeon or a new skill. These are the sorts of updates we found that you wanted to play. Updates that you want to go back to time and time again.

So, starting from this month, were changing the way we release content. From now on youll see one massive headline update (such as a Recipe for Disaster or a Castle Wars) every month. On top of that, there will still be a secondary release, much more like the size of update youre used to right now. Were also still committed to making sure that no two weeks pass without something new.

Basically, from now on our releases will be like this:

* Four week months will have two updates: one big headline release and a secondary one.

* Five week months will have three updates: one big headline release and two secondary ones.

So, on to this months updates...

PvP Worlds

Ever found yourself wanting to say, Look, its my tree. If you dont stop chopping it...Ill chop you! Sounds cool, right? Yeah, but where could you do it? And when? The answers are PvP worlds and October!

From log-in, those that are interested in PvP content will be able to join in on special PvP worlds. The danger on these worlds will be very clear from the first messages you see, ensuring that players never log onto these worlds by mistake. After all, we dont want players accidentally getting involved with PKing (player killing) if they dont want to. Normal, non-PvP worlds will still act just as they do now, so dont worry if bashing others isnt really your thing.

Those that want to get involved will find a number of differences to the usual set-up on PvP worlds. Firstly, youll be able to fight people pretty much anywhere, so long as their Combat level is similar to yours (within a certain range of levels). This means that almost everywhere is dangerous. Some places, like banks and respawn points, will be deemed safe and no combat will be able to occur there, and some of the minigames will be disabled (you wont be able to PK team mates while playing Castle Wars, for example) but many will still be active. Other places, like Falador, Varrock and the entirety of the Wilderness, will be considered hot spots where the danger will be even greater and a higher concentration of opponents.

Now, onto the money side of things. Many of you will be aware of the RWT (real-world trading of RuneScape gold for money) reasons we changed the old Wilderness. We certainly cant just bring that threat back to RuneScape, so we have devised a system that rewards players based on a variety of factors. This means that things such as risk, level of foe and location will help to calculate rewards. Drops will be determined by a combination of drop tables and some of the gear that your opponent drops. We will go into more depth about this on the day of release.

Hallowe'en

As well as changing things around with the headline updates, we also decided to change the way we do things with our holiday events. We wanted to make the most of the little bits of fun we have every year, and give the free-to-play game a taste of the content we release in the members world. This year, we will be releasing a Halloween-themed quest as well as the traditional holiday event. This quest will be available to our free players for the two weeks around Halloween, along with the holiday event itself. Whats it about? Well, youll have to wait and see, but expect some funky decorations to start appearing.

Spooky player letters and artwork will also await those strong of stomach...so be prepared.

Updates being released after October

In case that little lot isnt enough for you, lets take a few moments to talk about the headline content were releasing in the months after October:

Stealing Creation

Not long to wait now for this crazy combination for skillers and PKers. Can you and your team work together capturing resources and equipping your warriors? Will you avoid the multitude of threats bearing down on your safe haven? Will you try to make your own way to the higher level gear, or will you just PK and destroy your opponents hard work? Will you be able to keep the enemy at bay while stealing creation?

StealingCreation.jpg

Mobilising Armies

Ever fancied assaulting a castle with your very own army? You will be able to hire a mercenary force to battle against three other players, complete set objectives and earn rewards. Mobilising Armies will be a fast paced tactical minigame allowing you to control your very own RuneScape army with troops made up of humans and other races. There will also be some special effects including dive bombing gnomes and giant catapults. Will you be up to the challenge?

MobilisingArmies.jpg

Have fun!

Mod Mark

Lead Designer RuneScape

It's the month of October, Halloween time! Time for some Runescape treats! :)

Dark_Jab.png

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is very smart to make some pvp worlds. not only is it cool to have pvp, but it will definatly satisfy those who use to do so in the wildy and have a tirst for killing other players outside of a minigame. very smart move by jagex.

i dont care as much on the PvP worlds,im more looking foreward to the halloween event! <3:

Why are you looking forward to the event?

Because he isn't a pker and doesn't give a [cabbage] about those worlds?

2j3qh46.jpg

Special PVP armour looks interesting. Be nice if it can be worn on non pvp worlds too. I'm not really a pker so the other items interest me more, especially the RTS game :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

PvP worlds so soon? I thought we'd be waiting until december for them :thumbsup:

Halloween event should be good, anyone know what the reward will be i cant remember if we had a poll for it or not?

New minigames look strange but they could turn out fun.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

I like their new update scheme :thumbsup: Now we will have less updates to be able to have bigger updates that actually mean something to the game. Well worth it I'd say.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

PvP worlds so soon? I thought we'd be waiting until december for them :thumbsup:

Halloween event should be good, anyone know what the reward will be i cant remember if we had a poll for it or not?

New minigames look strange but they could turn out fun.

that was for the Chistmas event ::'

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

i dont care as much on the PvP worlds,im more looking foreward to the halloween event! <3:

To tell you truth my total pking hours when pking was around was between 5-10 hours.

Now i asked cause i was curious. I am always looking forward to a Holiday event: but last 4 ones i participated in was big disappointment.

1: They don't give us tradeable items

2: It's not useful.

3: What's point in having something that you use very rarely?

To tell you truth my total pking hours when pking was around was between 5-10 hours.

Now i asked cause i was curious. I am always looking forward to a Holiday event: but last 4 ones i participated in was big disappointment.

1: They don't give us tradeable items

2: It's not useful.

3: What's point in having something that you use very rarely?

It might be fun, I enjoy the holiday events as they are unique. To be frank, no one gives a toss if you don't find them enjoyable or not. Jagex won't take them away because a few people are mad they can't get rich off tradeable rares.

Okay, here's my two cents:

First off, I think it's [cabbage] how they are trying to make it seem like they are listening to us by "releasing one big and one or two small." That's exactly what they've BEEN doing, except NOW, they are legitimizing it. Typical Jagex spin doctoring... Oh well, at least now we can know what to expect. :)

Second, I am ecstatic about PvP Worlds...

But... I don't see why all content from October onward is PvP based... They are giving the loudmouth minority a large chunk of content with the PvP World.... Shouldn't that be enough?

td2sig.jpg

I liked the look of the "Mobilising Armies" game in the future. Would be fun to play a bit of RTS style fighting, within Runescape itself.

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

I never said they needed to be tradeable or make us earn on it. I said it should be useful.

I doubt your using Holiday items daily...

A holiday item should be useful or fancy so people will use it.

Chicken Outfit: That outfit even though funny is mostly ugly.

(Saw a guy in Clan wars FFA: Running and i attacked him and he said "why does ever1 attack chickens>.<?"