"No God" adverts to run on bendy buses in London

Dracion1

Again, if my analogy didn't get through, evolution is pretty much as theoretical as gravity. If you want to get into some stupid philosophical BS and don't want to call that 100%, well, don't. That's misrepresentation and, quite frankly, manipulative language. Nothing is 100% true, but that is by no means a logical counterargument in and of itself, at least not outside of the philosophy classroom.

Don't, okay? Get back to [bleep]ing talking about God and busses before the idiots have to be manually forced into a corner with a big enough dunce hat for them all to wear together.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad wording is bad. :|

I was exaggerating about the 100% thing, of course nothing is definitely true. But many people forget evolution is a theory, and while it generally is a commonly accepted fact, human evolution is a gray area. I have no problem with evolution in general being taught - It's the history of humans, the evolution of humans, that I'm talking about. And while it's also impossible to remain purely neutral, bio (or history?) teachers should at least make a note of that.

And okay, okay, I'll let the idiots into the corner...

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Irony is like a bullet. No, you are not Neo buddy, you did not dodge it.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

To the above poster that said Richard Dawkins is an idiot:

While I perosnally disagree with Atheism, why does that make him an idiot? I would not go up to a Catholic, or a Muslim, and say "Haha, you worship a God, idiot". Because it's an opinion. So because you disagree with someone doesn't make them an idiot.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Bad wording is bad. :|

I was exaggerating about the 100% thing, of course nothing is definitely true. But many people forget evolution is a theory, and while it generally is a commonly accepted fact, human evolution is a gray area. I have no problem with evolution in general being taught - It's the history of humans, the evolution of humans, that I'm talking about. And while it's also impossible to remain purely neutral, bio (or history?) teachers should at least make a note of that.

And okay, okay, I'll let the idiots into the corner...

It's arguably the complete opposite. Due to our massive egos, we love studying our own biology and comparing it to relatives.

To everyone else, not teaching evolution in a biology class would be insane. As N0M_ANOR said, it is the cornerstone of modern biology, and explains a lot about the similarity and diversity of life. Not teaching evolution in a science class is tantamount to not teaching the Holocaust because of Holocaust deniers. Some people's personal beliefs are going to be tread on, but people need to learn that a scientific understanding of the origin of life exists outside their narrow upbringing.

As for teaching it as "100% fact", every science is taught in the same way, even if it's not quite as strong as evolution. Perhaps that's a debate about the way science should be taught, not about how evolution should be taught. I don't buy into singling out evolution due to peoples beliefs because that kind of pandering is detrimental to actual scientific advancement.

Perhaps we should actually teach kids what science is and how science works, what a theory is and what "fact" means in science. It would save me cringing every time i read a thread about evolution, at least.

Did I really just get into a debate with you two? What was I thinking...

And I wasn't even offended in any way when we learned about [human] evolution a few years ago... :?

Well, I'm out. Don't want to make a bigger fool out of myself. :-w

And yes, we all have massive egos...>_>

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Or maybe you're taking the extremes of his quotes and using them to misrepresent his entire stance?

Do you REALLY want to do this? I can sit here and paste blatantly belligerent and condescending quotes from RD aimed at the religious (More specifically, those of the Abrahamic faiths) until Satan himself hands out popsicles. But then you'd probably just try to qualify them and act as if they're no big deal :lol:.

Oh, and how exactly am I taking his quotes to the extreme when he makes statements such as "thinking is anathema" to religion? There is only one way to take that as much as there's only one way to take the statement "Morality is anathema to atheism".

I'm sure if you've listened to so much of what he says, you'll also be aware of his soft spot for the Church of England, his friendly discussions with many senior bishops and his absolute reverence for many religious pieces of art, music and architecture.

Wait wait wait... RD has a soft-spot for ENGLAND? Wow... That is, like, totally not news. It's no big secret that RD is much nicer to the English then he is anyone else. Welcome to the present.

Anyway, I actually found your above statement to be quite funny, mainly because RD has often times said the exact opposite of what you claim. It's no big secret he regards religion with contempt-- He's said so himself (I even posted a quote of him saying so in this very thread).

Yes, Richard Dawkins is anti-theistic. But that doesn't mean he goes around calling all religious people idiots.

...Which is why he believes that, in regards to science, the religious are either "know nothings", "know it alls" or "no contests"; that thinking is anathema to religion; that the religious are infected with a mind virus, etc.

But, you know, go ahead and qualify these statements. I know you're going to try regardless. I would like to see you try. Really. I would.

Well in London there have also been adverts with "What would you do if there was a god?" "Jesus says..." and Random lined from the New Testament in a crap effort to convert people.

But nobody mentions those :\ Doesn't make a difference to me, and I ride a London Bus almost every day \'

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Well in London there have also been adverts with "What would you do if there was a god?" "Jesus says..." and Random lined from the New Testament in a crap effort to convert people.

But nobody mentions those :\ Doesn't make a difference to me, and I ride a London Bus almost every day \'

Could run a "What would you do if god where a paedophile?" ad, but I think it would be banned very quickly.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

But, you know, go ahead and qualify these statements. I know you're going to try regardless. I would like to see you try. Really. I would.

Sly, I really don't have the patience for a debate with you, given the way you've patronised Ginger over the last five pages.

I'm not biting. Keep your opinions of the man if you want, I doubt I'm going to change them anytime soon, just try and look at the other side of the debate once in a while.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

First of all, please keep this topic on-topic.

To the above poster that said Richard Dawkins is an idiot:

While I perosnally disagree with Atheism, why does that make him an idiot? I would not go up to a Catholic, or a Muslim, and say "Haha, you worship a God, idiot". Because it's an opinion. So because you disagree with someone doesn't make them an idiot.

Yeah, I was confused by that comment as well. Say what you want about Dawkins' ideas, but if you actually read his books and articles you'll see that he does know a lot about evolutionary biology, religion and philosophy. You might not agree with the statements he makes based on that knowledge, but that's no reason to call him an idiot. I think he knows more about the bible than the average Christian.

I'm at least somewhat religious, and I'd say it's a good message, even if it offends people. All it says is to stop worrying about if you're doing it right and live. While we are alive, we'll pretty much never be able to 100% prove whether there is no God or that there is. The ones that do know can't really tell us, can they?

I think Atheists should get their own opinion too.

I mean, if the christians put up um... posters advertising this stuff (Are there even such posters?) why can't the atheists?

I personally am neutral about this (I try not to see that he,it or she exists, but I don't doubt the possibility that h/i/s exists) so no hard feelings. :)

Religion gets in the way of what? And I don't care. And Richard Dawkins is an idiot.

1. Hm, let's see.

- Freedom of speech

- The ability to talk down a city street without being fliered to death (serious papercut hazard here)

- Laws against gay marriage

And what are its most prominent causes?

- A lowered value on life

- Unfounded hatred

- Profound ignorance

2. Ooh, a little [puncture]ly, are we?

3. Actually, he's quite intelligent. I'm willing to bet that his IQ is far above 100, instead of below, and is therefore not an idiot at all.

All-in-all, I like the idea, although London seems more secular than, perhaps, New York. I would have liked to see the signs on the yellow taxis...

1. Hm, let's see.

- Freedom of speech

- The ability to talk down a city street without being fliered to death (serious papercut hazard here)

- Laws against gay marriage

And what are its most prominent causes?

- A lowered value on life

- Unfounded hatred

- Profound ignorance

2. Ooh, a little [puncture]ly, are we?

Haha, all those sentences combined, ending with your number two, made me laugh very hard.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I'll have to agree: organized religion gets in the way. Christianity aims to make feel people feel guilty all the time, and scared of stuff that might never happen. Religion gets to put advertisements, so should atheists.

2480+ total

In Australia the catholic church attempted to blackmail the government by threatening catholic politicians with exclusion from the church and eternity in hell.

Since we are mostly an atheist country, their was public outcry but it highlights how dangerous it can be to have deluded people in positions of power. I think they where trying to outlaw abortion (Was ages ago now)

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

I'll have to agree: organized religion gets in the way. Christianity aims to make feel people feel guilty all the time, and scared of stuff that might never happen. Religion gets to put advertisements, so should atheists.

Then I recommend these videos to you:

8RtfNdg1fQk

pYdD-Qc7lbY

pRiijctGcAY

bIXDLUUn830

etHujh8Ao7Y

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Are you deliberately pointing out the very worst Catholicism can make you feel?

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream