"No God" adverts to run on bendy buses in London

Dracion1

What a waste of money, its so easy to say 'Theres No God' they would have better views if it was advetised on the Christian Channel or like Discovery or TBS.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

Hypocrisy much? If anything religion is much bigger danger to the public as wars throughout the last 500 years have been often based on religious matters to a certain extent. The Crusades, The inquisition, The many wars as a result of the religious reformation, the many civil wars caused by religious differences leading to sectarian violence I.E Northern Ireland, The current Iraqi civil war. The on going Jihad performed by Islamic extremists.

Haven't heard of any war yet caused by Atheism :|

Richard Dawkins is an idiot.
You may not agree with anything he says but he is FAR from being an idiot.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

There are a fair number of ads around my university and local area with the headline:

Is this all there is?

They then go on to encourage people to come to the Christian Alpha course. I've always wanted to graffiti one of those signs and write underneath "Yes, it is. Look around. Isn't the world amazing?"

At least this ad is positive and upbeat, rather than preying on the vulnerable.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

"Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride - automatic tax breaks, unearned respect and the right not to be offended, the right to brainwash children."

"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion"

-Professor Richard Dawkins

This is why I love Dawkins.

Edit:

"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large."

-Stephen Greene.

Is he trying to say bendy-buses are a danger to the public?

1z2zrwo.jpg

I got a question for the atheists, what happens to us when we die? Just wondering since Religion ( tries to)explain what happens

Our body decays in the ground and our bones turn to dust and eventually we essencially become part of the earth? Or we turn into trees that get chopped down and have the bible printed on them. Something like that.

I'm fine with the advertisements. If we bought into everything we saw in ads we'd all be fat off junk food.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I got a question for the atheists, what happens to us when we die? Just wondering since Religion ( tries to)explain what happens

Our body decays in the ground and our bones turn to dust and eventually we essencially become part of the earth? Or we turn into trees that get chopped down and have the bible printed on them. Something like that.

I'm fine with the advertisements. If we bought into everything we saw in ads we'd all be fat off junk food.

And own 100s of ShamWOW towels.

jjroxlu7.jpg

Our body decays in the ground and our bones turn to dust and eventually we essencially become part of the earth? Or we turn into trees that get chopped down and have the bible printed on them.

That's enough, Dane.

Mlb, don't get this thread into a debate on the beliefs.

I'm all in favor for this advertising, if it offends you, get the hell out of the bus. :thumbup:

Our body decays in the ground and our bones turn to dust and eventually we essencially become part of the earth? Or we turn into trees that get chopped down and have the bible printed on them.

That's enough, Dane.

Mlb, don't get this thread into a debate on the beliefs.

I'm all in favor for this advertising, if it offends you, get the hell out of the bus. :thumbup:

sorry, I've always had that question, you're right no more quoting me, I don't want a flame war.

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

That's enough, Dane.

But the irony...

The first part was serious though.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I'm a Christian, but honestly I don't care if buses have signs like this. Anyone who converts religions because the bus said so is an idiot. Now if it's accompanied by anti-god protests then I'd be concerned, but the freedom to practice religion isn't just in the US, so I can't really do anything about it. Oh well. I'm not going to let bus ads interfere with my faith. Of course some people will be offended, that's perfectly natural. These bus ads are basically saying every belief in a god is wrong. As for me? I'm gonna get on with my life. Not that the people offended are wrong, because I am annoyed by this as well, it's just that I know that fighting it is a hopeless case. It's just bring a bad name to theistic religions when we protest.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Wow, are you [bleep] kidding? People get sued when they teach about there being a god in school, but it is perfectly legal to advertise there being "no god"? Holy [cabbage] what has this world come to?

Advertising and teaching are two massively different words. I expect (and little kids are always going to expect) that the things taught in school are true (2 + 2 = 4 kind of true..) and I expect advertisements are going to try to sell a product/idea to me, not to necessarily teach me anything. (That wasn't phrased the best, but you get the idea....)

Also, what's the difference between a bendy-bus and a regular bus, besides how awesome it sounds?

There are a fair number of ads around my university and local area with the headline:

Is this all there is?

They then go on to encourage people to come to the Christian Alpha course. I've always wanted to graffiti one of those signs and write underneath "Yes, it is. Look around. Isn't the world amazing?"

At least this ad is positive and upbeat, rather than preying on the vulnerable.

Because there's nothing worse on the planet than an all-inclusive service fraternity that provides free food for college students and does work for the community. I bet all those people I served in the homeless shelters without preaching a word when I was in a Christian fraternity in college hated me for pushing my ladle of food on their plate.

I could care less about the OT. It's called free speech. But, the door swings both ways. Don't trash on people for what they believe in just because you don't agree with it.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Bari, he's talking about the message, not the people. Although, I have to somewhat disagree with him that the Christian slogan is any worse than the atheist one- both seem to just be harmlessly inquisitive, even if the atheist one is slightly more upbeat (about the here and now, anyways).

Calm down mate. Having a positive attitude about life as a mortal isn't exactly a cardinal sin or anything.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

People get sued when they teach about there being a god in school

My Social Studies teacher is teaching us about Hinduism and Buddhism, and he isn't sued?

Because those aren't real gods. Jesus and his father are. :lol:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Because there's nothing worse on the planet than an all-inclusive service fraternity that provides free food for college students and does work for the community. I bet all those people I served in the homeless shelters without preaching a word when I was in a Christian fraternity in college hated me for pushing my ladle of food on their plate.

I could care less about the OT. It's called free speech. But, the door swings both ways. Don't trash on people for what they believe in just because you don't agree with it.

Religion does a lot of good (and bad), we know that. He isn't refuting that. All he is saying is that he thinks the advertisement is preying on vulnerable people. For example:

"Feeling depressed? Put your faith in Jesus!"

but never

"Feeling perfectly content? Turn to God!"

You can view it as preying, or you can view it as helping, depends what you believe - but this thread isn't about that.

On topic: I don't see why this should offend any Christian... If someone says they believe in God, it doesn't offend me, those adverts don't offend me. Hell if someone says "evolution is a lie, the testicles of the ancient Lebanese dirt salamander are irreducibly complex, therefore our ancient archaic text is true" it doesn't offend me. People believe different things and unless they are discriminatory then there is no real reason for someone to be offended. I think the adverts are good, regardless of whether you're a theist or not. Just getting people to think is a good thing - some of the religious adverts are also good, usually the ones by the more moderate types. Anything that gets people to think is probably a good thing.

Hey.

I suppose this is all right because they're not insulting anyone's religion at all; they're just stating their opinions. If you don't agree with it, go right ahead.

I wouldn't use the example "Just stating their opinions" to justify it (not going against it, just the reason). If I put a sign on a bus that said "I do not care for (whatever minority I feel like)", I would not have a good time riding said bus.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

"Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side.

"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion."

Pretty much my views.

I'm in full support of this. I can see lots of people getting offended due to the negative view of atheism in our society, but those same people would be those who would campaign for having "Jesus Reigns" signs on buses.

Cool.

Wow, are you [bleep] kidding? People get sued when they teach about there being a god in school, but it is perfectly legal to advertise there being "no god"? Holy [cabbage] what has this world come to?

Its the UK, a great many schools have prayer sessions during their assemblies are listed(named) as Church of England schools and are named after saints. Heck we even have an official state religion. Oh and dont forget compulsory RE classes.

So perhaps unsurprisingly people tend not to get sued for teaching about god in school.

Conviently the prevailing 'religion' in the UK these days is apathy.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

If religious groups are allowed to advertise their beliefs, I see no reason why Atheists can't do the same.

It's called fairness, and I like it.

Actually, that's true. We agree on something for once. :anxious:

To the above poster somewhere on first page, many people think Religous people in general can't have fun. I don't know where people get that from - I mean, you don't even have to be *serious* in church, what I mean, is God won't hate you for not dressing yuor best and sitting and not moving. I think, Christians have more fun than Athiests, But that;'s my point of view - also,m some people think of fun as getting drunk and such, for which, is a sin. So in that case, you're correct; but I have fun, a lot of it, and I've never gotten drunk before. (I just plain old hate the tyaste of alcohol.)

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

People get sued when they teach about there being a god in school

My Social Studies teacher is teaching us about Hinduism and Buddhism, and he isn't sued?

You are allowed to teach world religions, you are not allowed to teach any subject matter that leads to the claim that a particular religion is the correct one. Not even atheism. You just teach the facts, no opinions.

eligion does a lot of good (and bad), we know that. He isn't refuting that. All he is saying is that he thinks the advertisement is preying on vulnerable people. For example:

I understand that, but the way he phrased it was not so...kind. Like wanting to take a marker and deface the sign just because he disagrees with the message on it.

The reason churches often advertise to the "vulnerable" is to provide outlook and help. Talking to a pastor about a problem does not involve preaching or baptisms or anything like that. Hell, I got sex ed from my pastors at church, and it was very in depth (as in real sex ed, not abstinence only. Abstinence was encouraged, but "we want you to know what is happening to you, to others, and if you are going to do it be smart"). Pastors are usually a great source of comfort to those in need, no strings attached.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley