Grammar Grouching

Zierro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do get annoyed with bad grammar, but only if it's so obviously bad like: "want sum phree caek?"

I'm OK if it's a typo or a mis-spelling of a word, as long as it's still legible.

I mean we're only human

Li Chef

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

But seriously, that sig has got to go.

It doesn't need to go. Everyone makes mistakes once in a while, the sig is a shot at people who consistently type sentences like this.

0mG li3k t0t4iiy!!111!11.one!1!1

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I think it was because dizzle had a grammar siggy and someone else called him on a mistake he made

Which turned out not to be a mistake at all. Someties I don't know if I love that, or hate it with a burning passion.

Then dizzle, if you don't want to get rid of it, at least change it to "spling speling spelling"

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

But seriously, that sig has got to go.

It doesn't need to go. Everyone makes mistakes once in a while, the sig is a shot at people who consistently type sentences like this.

0mG li3k t0t4iiy!!111!11.one!1!1

I haven't seen anyone on OT who talks like that. Sure there are a few misspellings or lost commas, but it's still easy enough to know what they're talking about. I agree with justin, the sig is obnoxious imo.

I think it was because dizzle had a grammar siggy and someone else called him on a mistake he made

Which turned out not to be a mistake at all. Someties I don't know if I love that, or hate it with a burning passion.

Then dizzle, if you don't want to get rid of it, at least change it to "spling speling spelling"

This. Grammar =/= spelling. And spelling is the thing you are complaining about. And definitions is the area where you made an error. Oh the irony!

Bad spelling can get annoying, but unless it's absolutely atrocious and compounded with actual poor grammar it shouldn't be difficult to understand. And nitpicking over the smallest errors is ridiculous. Even I couldn't tell you some of the more obscure rules of grammar, and if I make a mistake it's probably because I was unfamiliar with proper usage.

I do confess to having suicidal urges when I read "could care less." Worse than "should of" in my opinion.

p2gq.jpg

The way I see it is that if you can understand a post well enough to correct it, you can understand it well enough to not need to.

However, I will correct someone else's grammar/spelling if they have something in their signature which portrays them as some sort of almighty grammar god, or if they're correcting someone else's grammar/spelling when they make the mistake, especially if they spell grammar as "grammer"

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

I don't even understand why people get so annoyed at people who obviously have terrible skills in spelling and grammar (e.g. TheChamp). Unless you're an absolute imbecile, it's not actually that hard to figure out what they're saying, even if they misspell every second word. In my experience, grammar Nazis tend to be those who use their internet access as an opportunity to try and boost their egos. Get over yourselves.

Read the Heroes thread.

That I can do.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I'll be honest: I do judge forum posters based on grammar, spelling and sentence structure. One's use of their native language is, in my experience, often a very good indicator of intelligence. With that said, it certainly doesn't need to be perfect. I'm guilty of many comma splices, I overuse words and phrases all the time, I misuse colons and dashes, I can't form lists for crap, etc.

I do get annoyed with bad grammar, but only if it's so obviously bad like: "want sum phree caek?"

I'm OK if it's a typo or a mis-spelling of a word, as long as it's still legible.

I mean we're only human

Li Chef

Your point would be better served if your example wasn't actually grammatically correct.

Generally my posts are in debate topics. If I was debating someone in person I wouldn't continue if they were slurring or incoherent. It might sound arrogant, but I demand more respect.

The odd wrong word doesn't bother me, but I won't speak to someone who won't take the time to type out a proper sentence.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

im sure most of us has seen this before, although not grammar, most people get mad at spelling as well

[hide=]Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Or rather...

According to a researcher (sic) at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.[/hide]

like most people i really dont care as long as it is an intelligent post or makes me laugh. spelling and grammar are to writing as 'talking to loudly\softly' and enunciating are to speech. as long as your doing it well enough to get your point across people dont get mad.

for me and most people its usually not how well the message is sent, its actually message that is ganna determine if i think your a bloody idiot that can notice basic grammatical errors i was to lazy to fix, or a genius but with bad grammar or a soft voice or w\e

side note: people who uses big words for no reason piss me off more, i dont really care if you using it correctly or not, if you just throwing in big words that you do or dont know it ticks me off to know end. im not an idiot i typically know what the hell your talking about but its just annoying as anything. its a great way to fill up alot of space without saying a whole hell of a lot.

legends2.jpg

I don't even understand why people get so annoyed at people who obviously have terrible skills in spelling and grammar (e.g. TheChamp). Unless you're an absolute imbecile, it's not actually that hard to figure out what they're saying, even if they misspell every second word. In my experience, grammar Nazis tend to be those who use their internet access as an opportunity to try and boost their egos. Get over yourselves.

Read the Heroes thread.

I've already read a fair portion. I still don't see the problem. Even if people type like, "want sum phree caek?", it's not that difficult to understand--for me at least. The point that you might think them typing like that makes them look like an idiot is irrelevant. If they want to look like an idiot, let them.

Cool.

Read the Heroes thread.

I've already read a fair portion. I still don't see the problem. Even if people type like, "want sum phree caek?", it's not that difficult to understand--for me at least. The point that you might think them typing like that makes them look like an idiot is irrelevant. If they want to look like an idiot, let them.

If its understandable for the most part,by all means.If its barely deciferable for the whole course I'd rather not read it.

eef yoo cand red eet tewtuhlee is two bed.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I'll be honest: I do judge forum posters based on grammar, spelling and sentence structure. One's use of their native language is, in my experience, often a very good indicator of intelligence. With that said, it certainly doesn't need to be perfect. I'm guilty of many comma splices, I overuse words and phrases all the time, I misuse colons and dashes, I can't form lists for crap, etc.

I tend to do this not only on forums, but on social websites such as MySpace as well. It's interesting how a higher tier of grammar, spelling, diction, and word choice usually correlate directly to higher intelligence; I'm not saying this is the situation the whole time, just the vast majority. In addition to this, grammar mistakes such as the aforementioned "should of", which may seem trivial to many people, irk me immensely, especially in verbal language.

i don no but myb its coz lots of ppl lyk to shortn thr sntnces and lyk all tht but myb ppl also lyk 2 b stpd 2 yno?

Teh wheelz on teh bus go rownd and rownd, teh wheelz on teh bus go rownd and rownd.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

I mean we're only human

Li Chef

Your point would be better served if your example wasn't actually grammatically correct.

I think we get the point(w was uncapitalized), grammatically or not. People who do not care of the legibility of their writing don't deserve my eyes. There's a few people on here, who have over 1,000 post I might add, whose posts I never bother to read. Their grammar is so awful that it makes the post longer and harder to read. Yeah, not worth it.

IE:

i wuld like to go t a dnce w/ u tmmrw, k??

Does it not take longer to write that way, since you actually have to memorize the right and wrong spelling of the word? :roll:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I mean we're only human

Li Chef

I think we get the point(w was uncapitalized), grammatically or not. People who do not care of the legibility of their writing don't deserve my eyes. There's a few people on here, who have over 1,000 post I might add, whose posts I never bother to read. Their grammar is so awful that it makes the post longer and harder to read. Yeah, not worth it.

IE:

i wuld like to go t a dnce w/ u tmmrw, k??

Does it not take longer to write that way, since you actually have to memorize the right and wrong spelling of the word? :roll:

Aside from that,I don't like the excuse that English is your second language.My mother tougne is Chinese and I fail that.And my second language of English is good enough for me to [bleep] about others'.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Aside from that,I don't like the excuse that English is your second language.My mother tougne is Chinese and I fail that.And my second language of English is good enough for me to [bleep] about others'.

If English is your second language, I would excuse bad grammar (I talk Chinese accent kay?) but usually not bad spelling. It's not hard learning that "are" is spelled like that, rather than "r." (That said, Chinese is also my first language and I fail at that too, mainly because I moved to America when I was four...)

My friends are still in the stage of using improper grammar, like everyone else I know in real life. I hate my generation. Txt spk yayyy. Though I sent them a typing speed test, and since they usually don't bother to spell words right, they got really lousy scores. :lol:

Here and there, bad spelling and grammar is fine. If I'm in a debate in you and you can't spell or bother to capitalize, I'm going to ignore you the same way I would ignore someone who isn't going to bother looking up their facts.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

i'm from holland, and still i make next to no mistakes in grammar / spelling, unless you count my lack of capitalizing but i think it's a pain in the arse to do that. the point is that my spelling and grammar are better than like 50% of the british and american people i know via internet, which kind of bothers me.

using abbreviations and meme's are also very bothering, as abbreviations (except for things like i'm instead of i am) are really a pain in the [wagon] to read as theres lots of new ones made every day, and you kind of lose track after a while.

Headshotcatcher.png

Read the Heroes thread.

actually my point was that TheChamp is now typing complete sentences with proper punctuation and spelling

I don't care when people make simple mistakes, but when they're talking like "u no u r realy gettin on my nervs," it really gets on my nerves. Especially on the forums. I mean, it's not like they're in a rush or anything, so why do they type like that? :|

wl7w9j.png

I get really annoyed when people seem to be trying to post a serious topic but in such a way that you can't read any of it without having to have a translater who can speak fluent moron. :roll:

However most of the time it's either people trying to pick apart the arguement against theirs by picking on unrelated things such as grammar.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113