The True World Map? Post your findings! [Updated 2014]

Ned

[hide]vh3sw4.jpg[/hide]

So yeah, I was standing on Mudskipper, looking towards Tutorial with the Orb. Found this, looks suspiciously like the Water Altar. Sorry if this has already been found.

Are you sure it couldn't just be tut island? Look on the bloody map facepalm.gif

http://www.runescape.com/img/main/kbase/downloads_and_wallpapers/rsmap-21april09.jpg

Well it could be, but I'm not sure that the orb goes out that far.

Ah good call.

On another note, I'm wondering if there is a method to their madness...I'm going to check release dates of all these areas to see if Jagex just places new areas next to the previous ones.

Keep em coming! B)

Another picture from the spirit realm, can anyone identify?

spiritdesert.png

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Ah good call.

On another note, I'm wondering if there is a method to their madness...I'm going to check release dates of all these areas to see if Jagex just places new areas next to the previous ones.

Keep em coming! B)

Another picture from the spirit realm, can anyone identify?

spiritdesert.png

Contact Maze.

Could be Desert Treasure through.

Interesting.

Found this south of the Chaos Altar Spirit World Version

oceanspirit.png

About to go check the last unchecked portal, the Dragonkin Castle, which this ocean may very well be.

EDIT: It's not the Wilderness Ocean it's the Dragonkin Castle Spirit World Version, since it does have some water inside it.

Hey, somebody check barrows on low detial. Specifically, Veracs tomb under the stairs.

I remember before RSHD that you could see an outline of the crypt from there, I wonder what it could be.

Infact, I'm going to scout the whole of barrows now

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I come bearing yummies!

A theory that I had FOR A LONG TIME THAT NOBODY EVER BELIEVED ME AND I AM GOING TO TELL THEM TO "SUCK IT" JUST GOT PROVEN!

East of verac, this is "one level below", and it is the dungeon with the blood alter/mutated veilds

th_11-1.png

East, looking west over verac's tomb. It is the barrow crypt, which is on level -1 of the barrows.

th_12-1.png

From Torag, south looking north. More of the crypt

th_14.png

A little more of Torag, looking West

th_15.png

From Guthans toob, looking east (so guthan would be a little east, and up, but camera drops down)

th_16.png

Some more, can't remember where but from one of the crypts, probally Guthan

th_17.png

Blood Alter room, from barrows crypt north looking north

th_18.png

A little further east, note that a split second I took this, the blood here went out of view, leading me to believe that the render view for NPCs is about 1.5x as big as the minimap view, but the area that is rendered goes as far as it does until you see a loading screen. However, the view range of the orb is limited under that

th_19.png

Barrows east crypt looking east and north

th_20.png

Wkw427, can you please try to post the full size images rather than the thumbnails? Thumbnails make us navigate away from Tip.It just to view it, not even in full size (Which requires an extra click). Thanks. ;)

Some really awesome pictures found guys, I didn't know areas were plotted so...randomly! :blink:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I am going to continue to post thumbnails because I hate it when people post images that stretches ...........................................

I just realized TIF re-sizes images. Alright then.

Areas aren't plotted randomally, I'll get to that in a second.

Anyway, here is my idea of how the barrows and surrounding areas are set up.

barrows.jpg

The crypt, shades, blood alter, and everything else are on the ground floor, when the tombs are 1 floor above it.

If you feel like putting this on the first page, go for it

Please read my proof on how the world is laid out beforeyou go on and say something stupid which would just make you look stupid, because I don't really like stupid people who post stupid things that make me have to scroll through your stupidity.. Thank you!

First, there is the world map. It is a map of the world.

When you go into f2p areas, or areas that have been in the game for a VERY long time, you will realize that are where they should be relative to the world. So you then go to assume that whenever you climb down a ladder into a dungeon, you are going underground. THIS IS WRONG!

It has been proven with the use of private servers that ladders and caves don't go "underground", rather they teleport you north about 4500 spaces, relativity* similar to where you were at. If the manhole to the varrock dungeon is at 3500,2300, then it would teleport you 3500,6800

*BUT THAT IS ONLY THE CASE WITH OLDER CONTENT. NEW STUFF, LIKE GODWARS, IS PLACED FAR AWAY ON A PLACE OF LAND THAT A DEVELOPER IS ASSIGNED TO MAKE NEW CONTENT ON. This is why dungeons, even if they aren't square, would fit in a square. GWD is just one HUGE square!

However, the teleport rule isn't always true.

Yes, there is the ground floor (which is the worldmap), and there is no -1 floor, but there are +1 floors and +2 floors, up to possibly +6 or +7.

Look here, I highlighted the floor levels. The bank booth in Lumbridge is on level +2, the King and spinning wheel on +1, and the ground leve, or worldmap, is 0.

landlvl.jpg

Generally if you can see what is at the bottom of a ladder, you are going down

However, when a ladder just leads to a black abyss, it just teleports you somewhere north

land2.jpg

Then why can you see places from other places you shouldn't be able to see???

Because they group things together.

When RS2 launched, runecrafting was a brand new skill, so of course, Jagex saved time by putting the ess mine and the crafting alters next to eachother. You can see them on the minimap without any help.

You can see this clearly here

alters.jpg

Places like random events, instanced areas, and practically ALL new areas are put north of the "world map mirror" which consists of old dungeons that are placed relative to the world map (varrock, edge, taverly dungeons) in places given to developers.

It is our goal to find out where they put what!

Yes, there is the ground floor (which is the worldmap), and there is no -1 floor, but there are +1 floors and +2 floors, up to possibly +6 or +7.

Actually, after RuneScape HD, there are precisely 5 floors, ranging from -1 (used for features such as rocks in the water, because water is now transparent and lets you see slightly under it) to +3 (highest level available). Level 0 is the ground level, and, to the best of my knowledge, -1 is never used for dungeons, and only used for underwater decoration (note that this is NOT where you go if you are diving!). Here's a quote proving that:

RuneScape map squares currently only have four levels (numbered 0-3). Level 0 is ground level, level 3 is typically the roofs of the tallest buildings and the other two levels are different storeys. We started by making level 0 'The Underworld' and shifting the other levels up by one, so we had levels 0-4, says Mod JackH, but this caused too many issues with existing code: for example, teleport spells typically send your character to somewhere on level 0, and since level 0 was 'The Underworld', you'd teleport below ground level. We could have used this method, but issues like teleport code would have required too many fixes for it to be practical, says Mod JackH. After a rethink, we settled on hanging 'The Underworld' below ground level effectively making it level -1, Mod JackH continues. This method still caused its own problems, most notable of which were 'cracks': places where 'The Underworld' and the ground level didn't properly line up.

Source:

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/diary08b

Of course, they could have changed it by now, so don't kill me if that isn't 100% accurate :P

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

I know, but for the sake of things, the -1-water level is part of the world map

Okay; I just pointed that out since you speculated that there may be more levels above +3. I doubt Jagex would find any need to do that, as they've used this system for so long. Besides, the only thing that could need more than four above-ground levels would be a massive tower, and they could just make it so the stairs on level +3 send you off the map to the rest of the tower (split in four sections at a time) :P

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

I did a little snooping, and Ill try to keep it in order so you can document it.

This is ALL around temple of Ikov ice patch area.

Edit: I made a pretty map to help.

prettymap.png

North of Ice Patch area: (Elemental Workshop 1 Area)

10-02-02223433.png

East of Ice Patch area: Box for hiding in Catherby (See more on this below)

10-02-02223535.png

South-East of Ice Patch area: Legends Dungeon. This is a correction on your first page. Legends is next to Ikov, not a penguin area.

10-02-02224208.png

Far Far west of the Boots of Lightness Rooms: Some part of Varrock sewers?

10-02-02224458.png

See Above Box: Box next to box, instanced area perhaps?

10-02-02225559.png

East of Boxes: Fire Obelisk (and thus the rest of Taverly Dungeon)

10-02-02225657.png

North East of Boxes (North of Tav Dungeon): Underpass under White Wolf Mountain?

10-02-02225732.png

dawnsigblue-3.png

I agree this should be front paged.

While im here. I have a challenge for people. as we find the real location of places on the map can someone draw the map as it is revealed to us.

We know that the map is 1 dementional for the most part. There isnt a dungeon layer or anything. its jagex hiding the coordinants in the black areas of the map.

With what we know someone should draw together what the true world map looks like. or rather what we will find out eventually

1 Dimensional would be a straight line :???:

And instead of starting over, why not compile our findings into the map that's been constructed so far?

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/263/trueworldmap2nb1.jpg

That's on the front page :P

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

I've been working on a new and improved first page for awhile (original thread was simply called "where is the corporeal beast's lair?")

It includes several map versions of all our findings. It'll all be released together.

Nice post by the way Wkw, looks like we're on the same page.

[hide]

I am going to continue to post thumbnails because I hate it when people post images that stretches ...........................................

I just realized TIF re-sizes images. Alright then.

Areas aren't plotted randomally, I'll get to that in a second.

Anyway, here is my idea of how the barrows and surrounding areas are set up.

barrows.jpg

The crypt, shades, blood alter, and everything else are on the ground floor, when the tombs are 1 floor above it.

If you feel like putting this on the first page, go for it

Please read my proof on how the world is laid out beforeyou go on and say something stupid which would just make you look stupid, because I don't really like stupid people who post stupid things that make me have to scroll through your stupidity.. Thank you!

First, there is the world map. It is a map of the world.

When you go into f2p areas, or areas that have been in the game for a VERY long time, you will realize that are where they should be relative to the world. So you then go to assume that whenever you climb down a ladder into a dungeon, you are going underground. THIS IS WRONG!

It has been proven with the use of private servers that ladders and caves don't go "underground", rather they teleport you north about 4500 spaces, relativity* similar to where you were at. If the manhole to the varrock dungeon is at 3500,2300, then it would teleport you 3500,6800

*BUT THAT IS ONLY THE CASE WITH OLDER CONTENT. NEW STUFF, LIKE GODWARS, IS PLACED FAR AWAY ON A PLACE OF LAND THAT A DEVELOPER IS ASSIGNED TO MAKE NEW CONTENT ON. This is why dungeons, even if they aren't square, would fit in a square. GWD is just one HUGE square!

However, the teleport rule isn't always true.

Look here, I highlighted the floor levels. The bank booth in Lumbridge is on level +2, the King and spinning wheel on +1, and the ground leve, or worldmap, is 0.

landlvl.jpg

Generally if you can see what is at the bottom of a ladder, you are going down

However, when a ladder just leads to a black abyss, it just teleports you somewhere north

land2.jpg

Then why can you see places from other places you shouldn't be able to see???

Because they group things together.

When RS2 launched, runecrafting was a brand new skill, so of course, Jagex saved time by putting the ess mine and the crafting alters next to eachother. You can see them on the minimap without any help.

You can see this clearly here

alters.jpg

Places like random events, instanced areas, and practically ALL new areas are put north of the "world map mirror" which consists of old dungeons that are placed relative to the world map (varrock, edge, taverly dungeons) in places given to developers.

It is our goal to find out where they put what!

[/hide]

I agree this should be front paged.

While im here. I have a challenge for people. as we find the real location of places on the map can someone draw the map as it is revealed to us.

We know that the map is 1 dementional for the most part. There isnt a dungeon layer or anything. its jagex hiding the coordinants in the black areas of the map.

With what we know someone should draw together what the true world map looks like. or rather what we will find out eventually

The map is in 3d; there is a ground floor, and there are floor above it. If you want an example, go up to the highest floor in the Falador gen store; perfect example. Many dungeons (like waterbirth) are somewhere between floor 0 and the max floor, so you can go up and down with continuity. But if you look at places like taverly dungeon, that ladder leads to blackness, so it teleports you north.

@Btainite3

I did a little snooping, and Ill try to keep it in order so you can document it.

This is ALL around temple of Ikov ice patch area.

Edit: I made a pretty map to help.

prettymap.png

North of Ice Patch area: (Elemental Workshop 1 Area)

10-02-02223433.png

East of Ice Patch area: Box for hiding in Catherby (See more on this below)

10-02-02223535.png

South-East of Ice Patch area: Legends Dungeon. This is a correction on your first page. Legends is next to Ikov, not a penguin area.

10-02-02224208.png

Far Far west of the Boots of Lightness Rooms: Some part of Varrock sewers?

10-02-02224458.png

See Above Box: Box next to box, instanced area perhaps?

10-02-02225559.png

East of Boxes: Fire Obelisk (and thus the rest of Taverly Dungeon)

10-02-02225657.png

North East of Boxes (North of Tav Dungeon): Underpass under White Wolf Mountain?

10-02-02225732.png

Temple of Ikov is located on the "old north" map that is relative to the world map. Places like varrock, dwarf mines, karajma, basically anything that is from around the time rs2 came out is located somewhere north (not as far north as new areas) of the main map, about 4500 squares north. And it is placed in a relative location to where it should be on the world map.

Those are EASY to figure out. The tricky ones are the new content that are farther north, and that have no set in stone corraliation to each

I've been working on a new and improved first page for awhile (original thread was simply called "where is the corporeal beast's lair?")

It includes several map versions of all our findings. It'll all be released together.

Nice post by the way Wkw, looks like we're on the same page.

Thanks ^^

And it is amazing to see how this thread has evolved

I didn't get a pic of it, but I was in the Smokey Well killing some Dust Devils and on the south wall I noticed a spot that appeared to be something in a pyramid, although I couldn't tell what it was. Anyone know what this could be and I just didn't see it in earlier posts?

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

I found this east of the Shilo gem mine cave, does anyone know what it is? Maybe it's the cave from the Shilo villiage quest.

[hide]eastofmine.png[/hide]

Yes you're right that belongs to the Shilo Village quest, you craft the table into the raft

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I found a HAM-base south-west of Zanaris and some other places that where known around Zanaris. I also checked Yu'biusk, the fairy hideout and the goark plane but found nothing.

[hide]hamswofzanaris.png

zanarismap.png[/hide]

namnlskopia.jpg

I didn't get a pic of it, but I was in the Smokey Well killing some Dust Devils and on the south wall I noticed a spot that appeared to be something in a pyramid, although I couldn't tell what it was. Anyone know what this could be and I just didn't see it in earlier posts?

The pyramid from DT, those places ar elocated where they should be on the world map

--

I've posted on the RSOF, check it out

133-134-380-60324052

Erm, I was just getting all the last few rewards from Summer's ends (since i'm very bored...) and I decided to do some snooping cause i had my orb with me. Luckily i got tb'ed and just decided to use it to pass the time... and I found this in the high level wildy. :ohnoes: :shock:

ghostship.pngTaken on Wednesday, February 3 2010

I went as far north east as possible from the Rogue's castle and then again used my orb to get the rest of the way... sorry it's in standard detail. Does anyone know if this is the "ghost ship" we heard about during the strange power or not? And also, I don't think that this ship has been used in any quests. Or am i just really ignorant when I do my quests? :^_^:

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

Erm, I was just getting all the last few rewards from Summer's ends (since i'm very bored...) and I decided to do some snooping cause i had my orb with me. Luckily i got tb'ed and just decided to use it to pass the time... and I found this in the high level wildy. :ohnoes: :shock:

[hide]ghostship.pngTaken on Wednesday, February 3 2010[/hide]

I went as far north east as possible from the Rogue's castle and then again used my orb to get the rest of the way... sorry it's in standard detail. Does anyone know if this is the "ghost ship" we heard about during the strange power or not? And also, I don't think that this ship has been used in any quests. Or am i just really ignorant when I do my quests? :^_^:

I don't think there was any talk about a 'ghost ship' of any kind during or after the strange power event... :? But about your pic, could you clarify where you took it? Because there exists a shipwreck in the wildy very close to the Rogue's Castle. It's on the north face of the 'Dragonkin Castle' ruins peninsula.

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg