Friends list policies.

Cheefoo

There is much drama to be had when it comes to the friends list. Should I add them? How should I decline? Should I delete them?

First of all, is when you should add someone as a friend. Some people come up to me and buy something from me, sell something to me, or just ask a question. Right after that, they ask if I want to add them. Most of these friend hungry players seem to be people with bad senses of humor, yells, uses 1337, and have bad grammar. That seems to be why they want a friend so quickly, as they don't seem to be the likeable type. What should you do?

If someone just asks me flat out like that, I usually decline. If you're the loud, obnoxious, in-your-face tween that everyone fears, I don't know if I want you messaging me constantly. I'd usually say something like "Sorry, my list is full...", as I don't want to say "No way, get away from me, weirdo!" Instead of lying, maybe I could take a more subtle approach. I don't know how I'd do it, be blunt, make up an excuse, or whatever. What would you do if you didn't want to add someone?

However, if someone is very nice and calm, I may add them. I don't know the statute of limitations for adding friends, but one minute surely isn't enough. Even if someone politely asks a question or buys something from me, and asks to be my friend, I will probably decline. You really need to get to know someone first. After talking for a while, and if they seem nice, I will probably add them. I'm usually not the one to offer, but I will accept usually.

The places you meet people the most, and start talking is Catherby and the yews near Seer's Village. Usually, those are the worst bunch of people, but you have to sit through listening their terrible jokes and quotes of internet memes. Rarely you find anyone nice there. I just avoid those places, or don't read the chat if I'm there.

However, not all friendships are permanent. How would you go about deleting someone? If they are barely on, or never pm you, or even reply to a simple "Hello", I'll most likely delete them. Some of my friends just don't respond, so I delete them. Then later on, they might come back, and we'd be friends again. If someone's just being a plain jerk, of course I'd delete them, if not put them on my ignore list.

Lastly are the people who won't take no for an answer... They don't take a hint when you say no to their offer to add you. They pm me over and over about nonsense and dumb questions. After a while, I just yell "I'm not your friend, just go away!" Then they say "Why don't you want to be my friend anymore?", so I reply, "I was never your friend!". They'll probably use crying emoticons and yelling "WAAH!" over and over as those annoying types usually do. At this point, I don't just delete them, I put them on my ignore. Some people just can't take a hint is all.

So, here are the questions:

-What type of person will you add?

-How long will you need to talk to them before you add them?

-What type of person would you decline a friendship with?

-How would you break the news to them?

-What would make you take someone off your friends list...

-...or even add them to the ignore list?

I hope you can relate, and we can share opinions on these friends list policies. I'm striving for a way that everyone can figure out the most polite way to deal with friendships in Runescape.

P.S. I didn't put this in questionarres because there's a lot to discuss besides the questions. Pleeease don't move it?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runescape has policies now?

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

I add them based on how they act. If they harass me or are just plain rude, then of course I wouldn't add them.

It depends on the situation. For example, if they are a clan member or someone that I knew previously from Tip.it, then I would add them right away.

Some random person that I don't know or if they just act as a bad person towards me.

I would tell the truth and say that I have to save my friends list for clan members and other people that I know.

If they start harassing me, are extremely inactive, if I don't know them, or if they are no longer clan members (and if I don't know them).

If they are following me around RuneScape asking for an item, then I'll add them. Or, if they start flaming me, I'll do that too.

j0xPu5R.png

A person who is friendly and shares common goals with me, which is why most of my friends train non-combat skills, especially runecrafting.

No set time. I usually add people I talk to in clanchat first.

A single-minded pker or someone who bashes other people commonly

Stop talking to them or turn chat to friends with them not added

If they whine to me all the time (not once or twice, that's ok-- we all have drama at some time or the other) or if they say something rude.

My ignore list is for fairy ring codes. Private chat on friends fixes that.

lalalasig2.png

Only the very worthy.

2 months or more.

the types of people who are too greedy, too beggery, and refuses to look at the manual.

Direct approach works.

If they got banned or haven't signed on in a month.

-...or even add them to the ignore list

If you're a jerk to other players or myself, you're on my ignore list with the fairy ring codes. And the person will be there for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time.

2008_121.png

Randompm1.png

This whole issue of friends list policy isn't really relevant to me, as my Private Chat is always 'On'. Anyone is free to add and speak with me, and the issue of me deleting people off my list is of no consequence, as no one knows whether or not they're on it in the first place.

I guess I'm not famous or, in the case of the majority of players, pretentious enough for only a select group of people being allowed to talk to me.

The questions which do apply, however;

People that I talk to enough.

No set time, but would typically be around half an hour/1 hour of talking with someone.

If we simply don't talk anymore. I used to clean out my friends list almost weekly.

-...or even add them to the ignore list

I'll usually add someone who I just can't be bothered to deal with on my ignore list for a day or so. After that time they've usually forgotten about it and my list can return to being exclusive to the Fiary Ring codes.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

I typically add people I can have a decent conversation with, or who are funny beyond the typical "o l00k it r lolcat dere!!!" type of meme spamming (although I do admit I do that randomly aswell). Someone who just wants to be my friend cause they like my combat level / equipment / stats / [insert anything], won't find themselves in the list.

Depending on the situation and area I meet them, usually 10 minutes is the bare minimum. Sometimes you can have a thoughtful and interesting conversation for hours and when one of us has to go, we add each other. You got to have a base of opinion about a person to be able to judge his/her value as a friend. Are they funny, do they talk about mutually interesting topics or do they just reply with simple answers. Also I take high judgement in grammar. If a person can't even write a simple 5 word sentence without making mistakes that would put a preschooler to shame, then I doubt they will make a good friend.

Plain annoying people. If a person can't take a hint for "No I don't want to be your matey!", I have not even the slightest motive to accept them as friends. Also what ticks me off are people who I may have traded with, and who, a few months later suddenly pm me, like we were best buddies. I try to be polite to them, but sometimes it can get messy when they are the stubborn type. :roll:

As my mood directs. If it's been a hard day, and I get dirt thrown at me, when all I want is to just relax, I can't just conjure up a polite rejection. "Beat it!" often works.

If they say they're going to quit forever, and have given their own permission to remove them. Other than that reason, almost never, unless they've commited a indecent act to hurt me and/or my friends... like leaving us to die to a monster, or a deceit.

Anything that directly hurts my playing experience (loss of items, death... etc), and they're gone to the ignore.

dontfearthereaper2.png

Anyone who asks and I will give them a chance. I aslo readd people who say they were my friends before and if they prove it I'll keep them added. Not to mention my private is always ON.

I add them if they ask because I rarely ask and if they prove to be half way decent it can be 1 day or a week depends how much they talk.

Someone who is arogant beyond belief and people who flame.

I am pretty blunt so I just say no unless they are like a low level who as you said can't type at all and just want friends that are a higher level then I'll be a bit nicer but the answer will be no none the less.

Flaming and disrespect is an auto delete but only if they don't apologize because most people get mad and take it out on their friends but don't mean it.

They have to add me to their ignore before I add them to my ignore. But if it's a flamer or spammer I will add them to the ignore but we're talking bout people who were on your friendlists :geek:.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

At least 20 minutes +

A random person who just come up and ask to be friend.

A person who use bad grammar. 'ey, add mi dud'

I don't want to add people that won't talk to me.

If they haven't sign on since like months or

If they are always on but never PM me.

I only add people that really annoy me.

For example, a person who just added me just to borrow my Santa Hat.

~Bomb

-What type of person will you add? Hot pixel girlies

-How long will you need to talk to them before you add them? Just need them to press a random number in lumby ;)

-What type of person would you decline a friendship with? Ugly pixel girlies

-How would you break the news to them? You're ugly.

-What would make you take someone off your friends list... If they became ugly by accident

-...or even add them to the ignore list? If they were really a man :wall:

1288581197250-1.jpg

I think there has been a great change when it comes to Friends Lists ever since Clan Chats emerged. Clan Chats meant you could "store" your friends into a chat room and talk through there instead of having the 100/200 people on a single list. Usually friends for me were those that I could chat with, but now that there was a new form of communication, the idea of a friend list dropped in my mind. I no longer needed to keep people on my list to talk with them, there was a clan chat. With this idea being held in my mind, I no longer placed an emphasis on who was on my friend list anymore. I made the switch to Private Chat "On" instead of "Friends" (I used to get a lot of spam when it was on...) but I don't get that much often any more. I get a few random people a day, but enough to bare through it with it on.

So in conclusion, I really don't care much about my friends list any more. Ever since Clan Chats, my emphasis was dropped on that list and I just went and talked with those in the same area as me, that is when I went into a room. I don't really even talk in chats anymore. Now don't even get me started on ignore list. I've used it maybe twice in my playing, and they were just being rude (at a "funeral" of all times..), and I took them off right after I was done.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

I tend to add people who i meet through friends, usually when monster hunting.

Usually not very long, i can always delete them later.

Really rude people and moochers.

tell them no

Them being very offensive, or inactive. Inactive is usually when i'm adding someone and my list is full.

I don't have an ignore list, the red frowny thing is a notepad that i record my drops on, and other things like fairy codes before the update.

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

I would Add anyone, but mainly those who like to do skills and have fun in the game.

Depends on who it is :P

The type that try to scam me/ be offensive to me (mainly threatening behaviour)

I won't! they can guess why I've been offline for over 2 years yet my exp has been rising daily :lol:

I only take people off if:

They have offended me/ try to scam me

They never talk (why be friends with an ignorant person?)

They have been shown as 'offline' for 6 months

And other reasons ;)

Zaroterasu.png

-What type of person will you add? - Generally people who are nice, either respectful or generous, or just good to talk to,

-How long will you need to talk to them before you add them? - Well i never really add anyone unless they ask me to tbh, so i guess it would be up to them.

-What type of person would you decline a friendship with? - People who annoy me, and just people who just generally whine/beg

-How would you break the news to them? - well I wouldn't, the second they hit my ignore list they're not my problem, so a swift remove from friends, add to ignore without saying anything is how i usually do it.

-What would make you take someone off your friends list... - The second people start begging, asking is cool but no means no,

-...or even add them to the ignore list? - If they continue to speak to me even if i removed from friends list, then they go to ignore. Also random people you havent spoke to in years send you a message like, "Who is this?" unfornately I really cba explaining who i am and as a result they often get ignored

Wow reading that back im a horrible, horrible person... :thumbsup:

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

What type of person will you add?

Someone I've talked to alot before, if they're not annoying or anything.

How long will you need to talk to them before you add them?

Depends what they're like, usually I have to see them around for a few days. And even then, I don't think I've ever asked anyone to add me first, excluding forum trades and stuff.

What type of person would you decline a friendship with?

Someone who annoys me. Basically anyone who repeats them self over and over, has apparently no idea about Runescape at all and decides to ask everyone everything, someone who's like "wat was the update" as soon as an update happens, overuse of question marks in a sentance... the list is endless really.

How would you break the news to them

If I've never spoken to them before and they just randomly come up to me and ask to be my friend, I just pretend I have public chat off. If I've obviously not got chat off and have answered something for them or something, I'll just say "I don't really add random people", because it's kind of awkward to say anything else.

What would make you take someone off your friends list?

If they're never online so they're never able to talk to me, but I know they have me added, then I won't delete them. But if someone's always online and we haven't spoken for like 2 weeks, unless I've known them a while then I'm usually quick to delete them.

or even add them to the ignore list?

I don't really add friends to ignore, unless they keep spamming me.

I have chat on most the time so I usually get one of these pms at least once a day from random people

"Where have you been?"

"Why are you always on them weird worlds?" (funorb)

"Do you know where Zezima is?"

"Can you lend me your claws plz?/Sell your claws?"

"Wanna go bandos?"

Or something similiar. If I get any of them, I keep them on ignore until the day's over, since I only have like 12 spaces left.

idk, sometime it just is a random person that i meet in like a mini game or while training for a goal that i just happend to rly enjoyed talking with. hard 2 explain

probably 30minish if its a rly awsome convo, or never if the guys like "I N33D FRIENDZZZZZ!!"

random ppl that walks up to me and just go like "freinds?" people that really annoys me (look at example above)

list is full

being really annoying (ex. begging for free stuff)

attempt at pw scamming. happend once in rsc when i made my first 400k, would never let it happen again.

120dgl.jpg

After three years of playing, my ignore list is maxed out and I have only 6 friends.

I only add people who share similar views as myself. That depends on the topic, be it religion, politics, etc.

I only have two lengths, short conversations, and long. Short is defined as under a minute, whereas long tends to last at least twenty minutes. I only add after a long conversation.

People who are rude, obnoxious, say "wtf" more than twice a minute, wear the Keldagrim clothing, ask after a trade, ask for help via pm, tell me that I have no life or am a noob, uninteresting, gangsta, :roll: ask me out on a RuneScape date, and the list goes on and on. The game is filled with people, but very few are worth conversing with.

My favorite line is, "I'm alching tonight, so my private chat is off." This is effective since I generally have it set to friends.

I delete them when they become boring, inactive, or boorish.

I only add spammers to my ignore list, but I've met the limit already.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

I'm too lazy to actually answer the questions, but people ask me to add them pretty often to add them and are incapable of understanding that I'd have to remove almost 100 people just to add them since I'm back in f2p now.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I get a lot of people asking to be my friend. If it is someone I have talked to for a few seconds, and they have asked me, I have two responses:

1. Sorry, my list is full.

2. No, I don't know you (and/or Don't like you)

I use the first one if the person seems socially brittle, whereby a slight refusal might break their 'online' social structure. I use the second one if the person has just asked to add me (in a blatant way) or if they seem rude to me. If someone literally says: 'Add me' I will refuse point blank.

However, you always get the persistent people who always want a high levelled character (116 isn't a high level imo, so I don't know why I keep getting asked to be added by these people) and even if you refuse, they will add you and say something to you. In this situation, I either turn private to friends, or I add them to my ignore list.

Some of them may have an interesting thing to say, or give some decent conversation, but I would like to add that I don't care.

If you went into the street, and randomly said: 'Hi, I'm [insert Your Name Here], be my friend' (With a slightly weird look), you would certainly attract some attention, though this would not be attention you would actually want.

I never ask for someone to add me (ok, well maybe once I did). If I see them a lot (this will usually be when staying in one place training a skill e.g. Crafting, fletching, herblore etc) and talk to them for a while, I find it better than having them on your friend's list. It's the same sort of idea as (randomly) meeting someone that you haven't seen in a long time. You are glad to see them, and you talk a lot more about general stuff.

To Answer your questions:

I will only add people that meet a few of my requirements. The main one of these requirements is to use standard grammar. If someone says to me over a PM, 'omfg I pwned a n00b in pvp@@@@@@' I will either delete them, add them to ignore, or pretend I didn't see it. The action depends on the person obviously. If they are a good friend, I wouldn't delete them. I will also only add people who are open minded, have a decent sense of humour (But don't turn everything into a joke), respectful of others (i.e. not racist, sexist etc) and are generally friendly.

This depends. If they have joined the clan I am in, I am obligated to add them. However, I will talk with them to know what their personality is. If I don't like it, I just remove them. I have no set period for length of time needed before adding, since I don't actually add anyone.

Anyone that is rude, spiteful, ungratifying (e.g. if you give them food and they don't apply basic manners such as 'thank you') or have a generally bad attitude. This also encompasses those that beg. If someone ever begs me for money, food or anything else, when they don't need it (or they have the skills to make it) They will instantly be put onto my ignore list. I had a hard time when I started. No-one would help me out, show me anything, give me anything. I earnt my money through work (albeit work in an online game with a currency that is worthless), and so should these people. However, I will be inclined to show someone where something is, if they ask politely.

If I don't want to add someone, I will say it as blunt as possible. Taking it out of context a little bit, You see people like Simon Cowell on X-Factor and others. When a singer is awful he will say 'That was a good performance, however, it wasn't as strong as your other performances'. However, If it was me sitting there, it would be 'That was a terrible performance, and I find it hard to believe that you've actually become worse' (possibly stronger worded). I try to be as blunt as possible.

Begging. This is the bane of my *rs* life. If anyone begs for anything I will remove them. If they lie profusely or annoy me or say something offensive (but in a serious way) I will delete them. I wouldn't care if someone famous was on my Friends list. If they acted racist, sexist or anything else-ist I would elete them without hesitation.

Only thing I would ever put someone that was on my friends list onto my ignore list is begging.