Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

nachalo

I will say that to a certain extent I do agree with this. Now I also feel that people should still have an item that lets them prove how long they were playing, because to be one of the people in the beginning, one of the people who helped make this game stick around, they do deserve some recognition. These Items were made for fun though, not to be symbols (my opinion at least, it may be wrong), and so if somebody joins, and they really want that scythe, there should be a way to get it.

Now, I remember a suggestion a tiny bit ago about a cape that would denote how long you have been playing, and those could be a solution to this. Make it so everyone can get the items, along with making them un-tradeable, but implement the capes into the game. This way people could still denote how long they've been playing, because they do deserve that respect, and others can still have fun with the holiday items.

I did find a problem in your idea though, and it has to do with the Partyhats and the Christmas crackers. You said that they would became untradeable, and that the partyhat would be exactly the same. Well, you originally got a partyhat by using a Christmas Cracker on another player. Then it would randomly choose one of you to get a partyhat, and the other would get a random item (I believe a random item, but there my have just been alot of items). This would mean people could get free money through getting the Christmas Cracker, using it, and hoping for a random item. The other problem with this is that the partyhat would be untradeable, yet there is a chance the other person may get one, so wouldn't that constitute as giving somebody else a partyhat? And so you may have to make it so that you can get partyhats separately from the Christmas Cracker, and still make the Christmas Crackers available, just have them only do the animation when used, but give out no items (if they have an animation).

konnets

lightningsig-1.jpg

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always hated rares, and I show my hate for them. ^^ People say I hate them because I can't get them, but the truth is I've HAD rares. (Even a phat once, when they weren't worth alot).

I love your ideas, it would be nice to see Jagex do this. The only people I can see getting mad about this are the greedy merchants, but with your ideas they would still get their money. -.-

Bonus_Track.png

I'm getting a lot of responses like this; what I'd like to know is why do you think us having played for a long time makes us "special"? Why should be be "recognized" as RSC players, what exactly does it do for us besides nothing? I really don't understand.

The bigger question is why you don't feel that we should be. Tradable rares do nothing to prove or indicate how long you're playing, nor are they unique - anyone can buy them (with a whole wad of cash). No one can buy my Scythe, no matter how much they want it. Do they have the right to obtain something that they weren't around to get? No, they don't. Just like you don't deserve $100 from someone handing out cash to everyone on the street because you were busy at work, and couldn't get to him in enough time.

Sure, being recognized as an RSC player is rather moot nowadays, as even I've lost most consideration into it. That, however, doesn't mean that I'm just going to say "ok" to everyone getting a Scythe or Bunny Ears.

It's just an item. There's nothing special about IT, everyone should have a chance to get it. If you were asked to delete one weapon from the game forever, and you had a choice between the scythe and whip, which would you pick?

There are far more responses explaining that your idea would ruin the entire RS economy... but I'm curious why you haven't responded to that yet...

160vy.png

I'm getting a lot of responses like this; what I'd like to know is why do you think us having played for a long time makes us "special"? Why should be be "recognized" as RSC players, what exactly does it do for us besides nothing? I really don't understand.

The bigger question is why you don't feel that we should be. Tradable rares do nothing to prove or indicate how long you're playing, nor are they unique - anyone can buy them (with a whole wad of cash). No one can buy my Scythe, no matter how much they want it. Do they have the right to obtain something that they weren't around to get? No, they don't. Just like you don't deserve $100 from someone handing out cash to everyone on the street because you were busy at work, and couldn't get to him in enough time.

Sure, being recognized as an RSC player is rather moot nowadays, as even I've lost most consideration into it. That, however, doesn't mean that I'm just going to say "ok" to everyone getting a Scythe or Bunny Ears.

It's just an item. There's nothing special about IT, everyone should have a chance to get it. If you were asked to delete one weapon from the game forever, and you had a choice between the scythe and whip, which would you pick?

There are far more responses explaining that your idea would ruin the entire RS economy... but I'm curious why you haven't responded to that yet...

=P~

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

Actually there is something special about bunny ears and scythes. It's a highly rare item that everyone wants.

But once everyone has one, it is the same rubbish people throw away.

Bad idea.

/thread

Stellactic.gif

Actually there is something special about bunny ears and scythes. It's a highly rare item that everyone wants.

But once everyone has one, it is the same rubbish people throw away.

Bad idea.

/thread

Not highly rare, I used to have 4 accounts with them. -.- An old clan friend has 6 accounts with not only bunny ears and scythes, they also all had 9 hp. -.- They are rare, but there are lots of accounts with them.

Also, not everyone wants them. If you had them you'd get bored of them and drop them/let them collect dust in your bank.

Bonus_Track.png

=P~

Please don't submit one-word posts or one-smiley posts.

Also, I believe I did respond to posts stating my idea would cause economic ruin. In fact, I believe I addressed that in my original post. I entertained the notion of all tradeable rares being replaced with gold coins, therefore the only economic changes would stem from the desire for rares, which would become non-existent. And I don't believe those changes would be catastrophic or even large at all.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

the fact of the matter is that rares have more in common with a rare painting than a christmas present

And therein lies the problem, as has been stated multiple times.

Also - people, stop addressing his ideas on the nontradable holiday items...we all know they're silly. As for his proposed solution to the tradable holiday items issue, just ignore his actual proposed solution and discuss whether or not you think something should be done. Seriously, it's like if stealing were legal in real life and someone proposed 'I don't think stealing should be legal, and to solve that we should just give them the money so they don't have to steal' and people responded 'No way that's dumb, keep stealing legal'.

There is a legitimate problem (in the eyes of Jagex), it's just his ideas on what to do about it are mostly made of fail. So for the sake of everyone's sanity, please focus more on the main topic and less on Jard's personal ideas on that topic.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

=P~

Please don't submit one-word posts or one-smiley posts.

Also, I believe I did respond to posts stating my idea would cause economic ruin. In fact, I believe I addressed that in my original post. I entertained the notion of all tradeable rares being replaced with gold coins, therefore the only economic changes would stem from the desire for rares, which would become non-existent. And I don't believe those changes would be catastrophic or even large at all.

Um, yes - that whole "replace all tradeable rares with GP" is the largest problem with your idea, and people (like me) have made posts explaining what would happen... posts that you seem have completely ignored.

160vy.png

this has definately gotta be one of the much more sillier ideas ive ever heard. honestly, a party hat is much more then "toilet paper" for your head, its a status symbol, its something to aspire to obtain and seeing as how the max gp limit is 2.3b its a very good way of making your value above that with ease as opposed to buying 1m magic longbows instead. because if you had to sell them... it would take you a very very very long while...

as for the non tradeables, its a sign of how long you have played. i like to pull out the old scythe every now and then for old times sake. if it were to be given to anyone, it would be worthless. as is, it currently has emotional value for alot of players, its basically like saying " i want my creation date changed" somewhat anyway.

oh and as for your big punchline comment about the wilderness... heres mine.

The world isnt fair yet you seem to get over it anyway and live your life. why should here be any different?

dahha.png

borrow money off pessimists... they dont expect it back =P.

nachalo

I belive the partyhat is 1,000,000 times more useless than the whip. Seriously, they're completely pointless. However, my view would change if I had one. Also, rares aren't ruining the game in the same way the wilderness did - the wilderness would completely destroy Runescape, whereas rares just, well, they don't affect anything accept the economy. We need to start a team of really rich people to buy all partyhats and then alch them or something lol.

konets

Dodongo_200.png

I <3 SikTh.

Um, yes - that whole "replace all tradeable rares with GP" is the largest problem with your idea, and people (like me) have made posts explaining what would happen... posts that you seem have completely ignored.

There is a legitimate problem (in the eyes of Jagex), it's just his [Jard's] ideas on what to do about it are mostly made of fail. So for the sake of everyone's sanity, please focus more on the main topic and less on Jard's personal ideas on that topic.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

this has definately gotta be one of the much more sillier ideas ive ever heard. honestly, a party hat is much more then "toilet paper" for your head, its a status symbol, its something to aspire to obtain and seeing as how the max gp limit is 2.3b its a very good way of making your value above that with ease as opposed to buying 1m magic longbows instead. because if you had to sell them... it would take you a very very very long while...

as for the non tradeables, its a sign of how long you have played. i like to pull out the old scythe every now and then for old times sake. if it were to be given to anyone, it would be worthless. as is, it currently has emotional value for alot of players, its basically like saying " i want my creation date changed" somewhat anyway.

oh and as for your big punchline comment about the wilderness... heres mine.

The world isnt fair yet you seem to get over it anyway and live your life. why should here be any different?

Actually I think the world is quite fair. Where do you get that?

nachalo

I belive the partyhat is 1,000,000 times more useless than the whip. Seriously, they're completely pointless. However, my view would change if I had one. Also, rares aren't ruining the game in the same way the wilderness did - the wilderness would completely destroy Runescape, whereas rares just, well, they don't affect anything accept the economy. We need to start a team of really rich people to buy all partyhats and then alch them or something lol.

konets

That'd require quite a few coins, but excellent idea. I believe I remember seeing a group before with this same goal. Would be awesome to see it happen, I wonder what Jagex would do (besides cheer for joy since we'll have solved the problem for them).

well after this rollercoaster of a topic im going to rock my bunny ears like a mofo.

Rock on. My Guthan's helm looks nicer, has better stats, and when combined with the other 3 pieces, lets me steal your HPz.

Some people[/i]":2yeb3n9m]

Also, contrary to what some have said... the main theme of my topic isn't actually tradable rares. I don't mind them as much but they still need to go of course. (And the santa hat... how stupid that a rare item is part of an untradable set >.<) But my main theme is holiday items in general not being available to everyone who wishes.

Holidays are about generosity, celebration and fun. Not greed, elitism, money and denial of the right to own items that newer players deserve... because some of them have better attitudes than grumpy high levels who think they are better than everyone because they started earlier (even though they're not).

Well, you know what? Bluerose13x... Lightning... old players like that? Well, Zezima and Gertjaars are far better. They are the ones with 99 stats and many other achievements. I have far more respect for my level 15 skiller friend who has 99 prayer and will soon have 99 fishing or Gertjaars, than anyone who has bunny ears but has horrible in-game achievements.

If you think you need an item to prove to other people that you are so great because you joined 10 years ago and they've only been around for 3... (even though they're more experienced in the game than you and have better stats and achievements than you) then I think you need to reorder your priorities...

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I completely disagree with this. Rares have always been a thing that someone can work towards, save money for, and so on. I don't want to see thousands of people running around with party hats, that would just be stupid. I know at least four people with more than the max amount of gp you can have in rares, and what happens to them?

It's like this. The most expensive painting in the world was sold for 145 million dollars. This painting serves no purpose, other than for looks. While it may not be the best comparison, since there's only one of this painting and there are as many as a few thousand party hats, it still works. Now, if there were 25 million paintings that were exactly the same, they were free, and everyone had one, it wouldn't matter. They wouldn't be special.

Personally, I'd much rather work to get a party hat than to get one for free, and everyone else gets one too.

Is it fair that a level 3 account that started way back then has more money than most people get in their entire rs career? No. But that's how it is. Party hats and rares are one of the few real status symbols in runescape. There are a few things, like 3rd age, but that's about it.

So in short, no.

Actually I think the world is quite fair. Where do you get that?

What?

A kid in America could be born into a wealthy family, inherit millions, and never have to work a day in his life. Meanwhile, a kid in africa is born into a family with no money, get's a easily treatable disease, but they can't afford the medicine, and dies. How the hell is that fair.

I could get cancer. There's nothing I did to make me have cancer, but I could die from it. How is that fair?

I could be born with an incurable disease that makes living suffering. How is that fair?

I could win the lottery, and be set for life for doing nothing. how is that really fair?

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

There is a legitimate problem (in the eyes of Jagex), it's just his [Jard's] ideas on what to do about it are mostly made of fail. So for the sake of everyone's sanity, please focus more on the main topic and less on Jard's personal ideas on that topic.

Now if the topic had simply been about the history of rare items, their current market standing, and Jagex's stance on them, that would've been fine.

Yes, I realize that new players can't afford rares... that's NOT a problem. If they're upset that they can't afford a clothing item, that's their problem.

Yes, some people were lucky enough to have been playing when rares were dropped... but a large majority with rares today aren't among those few lucky people. The majority worked up and eventually got enough GP to buy their rare items, like new players will have to do if they want a rare item. Why do newer, poorer, players deserve to get free rare items when everyone else had to put a lot of effort into getting them?

But if when someone calls their idea to the Rare Market situation "mostly foolproof" and then doesn't respond to the biggest criticism of the idea, you can see what the problem is.

I may as well make a topic saying "Worldwide starvation is a problem. I have a mostly foolproof way to solve it - the Moon is made of cheese so we should go up and harvest the cheese to feed hungry people", then completely ignore the people who say that the Moon isn't actually made of cheese.

Yes the general idea is correct, but the solution is [developmentally delayed]ed.

160vy.png

I could care less about the old rares tradeable or not.

I have none, nor will I cry about.

But the new rares (3rd, and spirit shields) are just obnoxious avenues for RWTing.

Jagex has shown the propensity to continual make the same mistakes over and over again.

I wish the new CEO was smart enough to figure this out at least.

Also if you think that life is fair, then you haven't lived very much or your as stupid as one of them Hilton girls.

I guess you have no idea what the word tragedy means or that is something only found in a Shakesphere play.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

What is special about IT is that IT shows you have played RS since its infancy. I own neither a scythe nor bunny ears, but I accept that the whole point of them is to show that you were around when they were dropped. I have no desire to own a pair, since I was not.

If they were made available to everyone, they would become about as popular as the ying-yang amulets the makeover mage sells.

Would that really be better than the way things are now?

What is special about IT is that IT shows you have played RS since its infancy. I own neither a scythe nor bunny ears, but I accept that the whole point of them is to show that you were around when they were dropped. I have no desire to own a pair, since I was not.

If they were made available to everyone, they would become about as popular as the ying-yang amulets the makeover mage sells.

It would make them feel more included because everything in life should be like little league soccer. No one outranks anyone, and everyone gets a pat on the back and the same size trophy. (*sarcasm*) *Pokes anne*

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

nachalo

Very well written article as usual Jard. :thumbsup: However, what would happen for people who have multiple Party Hats/Crackers? I know people who have such items in amounts worth well in excess of 2.147b, and keep them simply because they have enough money not to need any extra cash.

I think that if they did this - the replacing of rares for cash - it would be a good time for Jagex to do what I've wanted them to for quite a while - to make 1b gp notes so that players can store large amounts of money and trade it in when their cash pile gets low, avoiding the 2.147b limit, and avoiding the need to stash away rares in order to keep your money.

konets

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

nachalo or however you spell it.

Read several pages of comments and your entire article and there are some very valid points. Something to consider to all the people that say it is a achievement, how much does it really measure up to? I had always wanted a rare and when I quit members a several months ago I sold all of my equipment and items and bought three and I wasn't left with the feeling I had about rares. They aren't really much of an achievement anymore.

Also a potential solution to allowing everyone to have the items, if the date you started playing is really that big of deal (ie bunny ears) why not make the ones for everyone have a slightly different look, enough that it was distinguishable they weren't the originals.

Konets

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Now if the topic had simply been about the history of rare items, their current market standing, and Jagex's stance on them, that would've been fine.

Yes, I realize that new players can't afford rares... that's NOT a problem. If they're upset that they can't afford a clothing item, that's their problem.

Yes, some people were lucky enough to have been playing when rares were dropped... but a large majority with rares today aren't among those few lucky people. The majority worked up and eventually got enough GP to buy their rare items, like new players will have to do if they want a rare item. Why do newer, poorer, players deserve to get free rare items when everyone else had to put a lot of effort into getting them?

But if when someone calls their idea to the Rare Market situation "mostly foolproof" and then doesn't respond to the biggest criticism of the idea, you can see what the problem is.

I may as well make a topic saying "Worldwide starvation is a problem. I have a mostly foolproof way to solve it - the Moon is made of cheese so we should go up and harvest the cheese to feed hungry people", then completely ignore the people who say that the Moon isn't actually made of cheese.

Yes the general idea is correct, but the solution is [developmentally delayed].

New players not being able to afford holiday items IS a problem because as pointed out multiple times already, they were meant to be fun items for people to share and not investment opportunities.

Also, we can all pretty much agree that his solution is "[developmentally delayed]" so why do you all feel the need to keep bringing it up? It doesn't say any more about your intelligence than his when you can't even recognize that the main focus of the discussion shouldn't be his idiotic ideas, but rather the issue of holiday items and how they are nowhere near where Jagex intended them to be.

As for your example...I'm telling you guys that you SHOULDN'T be the ones to tell him the moon isn't actually be made of cheese. Rather, you should have the intelligence to recognize that it should be ignored.

Agreed, but he [Comrade Jard] doesn't get it.

Rather than giving the masses something great or new, he proposes to take something that is special to a few players and make it common and forgotten - all in the name of "fairness" & "equality."

:P

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

In my opinion doing this would be pointless. It will annoy a lot of people very much, yet doesn't really improve the game for anyone. Party hat numbers aren't that high any more, i rarely see people walking around in one, unlike before i quit in 2004- i used to have many friends with a full set, i had a full set too (staked it and lost when i bought my WoW subscription), but now all these friends have either sold the majority to skill or have quit with no plans to return to runescape with their party hats sitting in their unused bank account. Very few people who actually got one when it dropped will still have that same one and then plan to sell it, so really the point about it being an unfair advantage is not really relevant. It doesn't change any ones gaming experience by seeing someone wearing a party hat, it just shows that this person wanted to waste lots of valuable gp on a status symbol rather than improving their character, if they want to do that why stop them?

From a F2P point of view, removing tradeable rares from the game would be horrible to us. What then would we have to work for other than skills? Many people in F2P will never become P2P, and so will never have other items to strive for with their vast amounts of money. In that case, rares are all we got to look forward to, really.

Also, I disagree that all other holiday items should be given to new people because they weren't there. It's not like we're trying to be greedy and "holier-than-thou" with our items no one else can get. We were in the right place at the right time. You weren't. It's no ones fault but yours that you hadn't joined RS earlier, and that doesn't entitle you to free items.

Amirite? :D

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png