What's the deal with hacking nowadays?

bronzewarrior

A lot of accounts are phished, not hacked. It relies on the person's stupidity to click and log into a fake runescape site. They generally drop stuff now because they can't transfer it, due to Dragonstone transferring being removed and bh being closed.

There is a way to get a screenshot everytime a button is clicked, so if someone entered their bank pin with this activated, the phisher could work out their bank pin (When you click a button in the bank pin screen the number becomes invisible, so they just work out which number is missing).

To be really honest I think the only way that someone could have cracked his Bank pin AND Password was that he was MAYBE Macroning on his Account or the Hacker knew him really well, other then that its pretty much impossible.

calzer101.png

Thanks mods I lost all my record of my 99's GF

While the majority of posts on this thread are saying that your friend must

have screwed something up with stupidity somehow...

Even though I hate to agree with the majority of a crowd...

I have to agree.

The only possible way I can think that a PIN was cracked was if the

hacker was someone that knew him well... even if he didn't tell anyone

his PIN, it could have been something relatively easy to a friend of relative.

As for getting hacked in the first place, well, it's hard to say...

There are many possibilities.

Personally, I can hardly believe hacking go on still... there is

such little to gain anymore, and if there is anything to gain, it is

probably very difficult!

Then again, I know people that hack into other computers just because

they can, but then do absolutely nothing at all to the computer...

I suppose/worry the same reasoning could apply to RuneScape.

I am sorry for your friend, regardless of carelessness or carefulness,

either way, it must be horrible to get hacked.

On the subject of hacking, people should get a sense of humor and just move a players character a few spots over or take off all of their armor just to freak the player out ::' .

If you spent weeks coding a keylogger, testing it, fixing it and distributing it I'm sure you'd have more on your mind than just pointlessly screwing with people. Even the most pathetic people, who don't even code their keyloggers (and often end up getting keylogged or given a virus themselves) have to do reasonable amounts of work to give the thing out.

I don't see why keylogging a pin number would be impossible. If they keylogger was made for RS and you had a good programmer behind the keyboard it could be done. After all, when you click your pin it makes the number you select disappear, but all the rest are STILL THERE. Doesn't take a genius to work out what someone pressed if they're given a screen shot of the moment of clicking.

Truth be told, I'm finished with giving out pity for those who get scammed of their accounts. If your dumb enough to download a keylogger, open it without scanning the file and not run regular AV scans, quite honestly, you completely deserve it. Harsh, but would you feel sorry for a guy who ran a red light and got in a car crash? It's the same thing here.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Making a program that could "crack" (via bruteforce) a bankpin wouldn't be all that hard, as long as you have the recognition programming built in too. I forgot the limitations on bankpins, but in a case, the pin could be cracked overnight or in 8 hours.

His fault for getting hacked, either from his own insecurities, or otherwise. Like another poster, the password mightn't have been secure. I've used the same password for the past 2 years and it's under 10 characters long, however it is alphanumeric, which makes it just as hard to get through.

Also, no pic no proof, and in this case, you're recounting what happened to your friend, meaning we don't have any solid verification. Considering you're trying to say something about a friend, but you end your post in "discuss", as a way to not have it moved off gen disc., it also shows a certain alienation towards your friend. Seems like you attempted to skimp out on words, that, and it's like telling a mod to do their job better, you already supplied statements which could be discussed. Also, as he messaged you on fb, it would more likely mean you know him irl, hence a stronger relationship that an anonymous*anonymous style, yet using a messenger program wouldn't be all that hard, there's a bunch which aren't cpu hogs, and also, ff3 hogs your cpu.

There's no lead-on from the intro you supplied, the anecdote of 88m, if you wanted your argument to be stronger, you would've at least shown a screencap of bankers shouting it.

You also talk about hacking in terms of rs, this is the bottom of the pile type of hacking one could do, even for any profit, although yes, some people are allured to it, but people can just use other forms to black-marketedly make money.

On the security side of things, using multiple antiviral programs helps, I use a combination of the default one on my computer (my brother put it on), spybot s&d, malwarebytes, hijackthis and a few more. I was able to get rid of a dns hijack last year, and trust me, even they aren't easy to get rid of. A simple scan can show it's there, but you'll need more than just the inbuilt cleaner to get rid of it.

On a technical note, keyloggers have evolved past their old meaning (keystroke loggers), and yes, they can take screenshots and record mouse movements. JAGeX knew about this when implementing b-pins so as to be able to know a degree of preventativity to take. See the always-random (in terms of random, don't be an arse and explain there is no random in a computer sense) placement of the numbers(that is, the order and where they are in the clickable area, and not to mention the white-outing of the number when scrolling over.) You're also forgetting that a keylogger can either be soft or hard. I know of a bunch of hard keyloggers, and some basic components of them to know that they can be somewhat caught easier than a soft version.

I won't bother coming back to this thread, don't care.

It's not hacking, it's account scamming.

Also, if his antivirus is AVG, Norton or mcAfee, no wonder it didn't pick up the keylogger.

please refrain from talking in discussions you have no knowlenge about! - It makes you (probably correctly, but that aside) look dumb!

mcAffee is still known as a very decent Anti-virus program: it catches most viri and worms! Really and there's a huge difference between hacking and account scamming: account scamming is "legal" (at least according to the law, but morally not): the victim told the scammer his information in some way!

Hacking is when the victim doesn't do anything related on purpose, yet the account is compromised!

Really keylogging a pin is "just as easy" as keylogging a simple password: the only difference is that the program to hack has to be written especially for runescape (you can't use a generic keylogger). And it has a much larger memory/cpu footer (instead of simply watching for keyboard input it has to watch for mouse input, listen to program output, copying the datastream). - But with nowadays quad core processors you would hardly notice that!

Ow btw: bruteforce cracking hardly ever happens nowadays: you probably won't ever notice this, but runescape (as most other programs) have pretty good protection against it! (IE: if it notices you're doing too many attempts in exactly the right time, it blocks your IP, and informs your ISP).

Also as for passwords: there used to be 1 major flaw in the runescape password recovery center:

I could get my pass with only providing this information:

-4 old passwords

-some tragi-comical talk about how you lost your account

-date last log in

All which are (if you're hacked once) easy to get for a hacker!

Not sure if it still works though.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

A lot of accounts are phished, not hacked. It relies on the person's stupidity to click and log into a fake runescape site. They generally drop stuff now because they can't transfer it, due to Dragonstone transferring being removed and bh being closed.

There is a way to get a screenshot everytime a button is clicked, so if someone entered their bank pin with this activated, the phisher could work out their bank pin (When you click a button in the bank pin screen the number becomes invisible, so they just work out which number is missing).

This.

And no, this so called "hacking" isn't any more popular than before. In the RSC days hacking was quite common. Nowadays there's a lot less of it. I think, back in those days, actual hacking took place. Not just account scamming. No idea of the details though.

Just throwing this in here. Came with the latest update:

We've made a couple of changes to the party room due to concerns about abuse by real-world traders. Firstly, drop parties are now available only on two worlds (131 and 152). Secondly, players must now enter their bank PIN (if they have one) before putting items into the drop chest. We're sorry we have to do this, but we can't let real-world traders ruin the party
calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Just throwing this in here. Came with the latest update:

We've made a couple of changes to the party room due to concerns about abuse by real-world traders. Firstly, drop parties are now available only on two worlds (131 and 152). Secondly, players must now enter their bank PIN (if they have one) before putting items into the drop chest. We're sorry we have to do this, but we can't let real-world traders ruin the party

Andrew must have a crush on the OP.

He wants to kiss him he wants to date him.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Many think of this event as a quitting party but the real truth is that the 88m came from a hacked account.

Wow

it seems jagex answered your plea with the new update, but then it wouldn;t have helped your friend i suppose :(

Jamje.png

null and void

ppl are gaining access to accounts using info the take from there myspace and facebook pages, they account recover using the info the find and some times it works

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Just don't pick a stupid password like I did -- I was hacked for over 200 million by someone who knew me in real life back in September. I quit RS because of that and just came back a few days ago. They took everything, even the glories.

Of course, they still play Runescape and apparently have been walking around with a Red Phat on and AGS.

Most "hacks" come from various forms of people trying to buy gold. Like "Okay you paid your 100 bucks for 20m GP, now give me your pass so I can trade it to your account."

Then people get the money for a little, then the RWTer gets back on the account a few days later and takes all the stuff back.

Ask Timmy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sERNft7mM0E

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Also, if his antivirus is AVG, Norton or mcAfee, no wonder it didn't pick up the keylogger.

please refrain from talking in discussions you have no knowlenge about! - It makes you (probably correctly, but that aside) look dumb!

mcAffee is still known as a very decent Anti-virus program: it catches most viri and worms! Really and there's a huge difference between hacking and account scamming: account scamming is "legal" (at least according to the law, but morally not): the victim told the scammer his information in some way!

Hacking is when the victim doesn't do anything related on purpose, yet the account is compromised!

Really keylogging a pin is "just as easy" as keylogging a simple password: the only difference is that the program to hack has to be written especially for runescape (you can't use a generic keylogger). And it has a much larger memory/cpu footer (instead of simply watching for keyboard input it has to watch for mouse input, listen to program output, copying the datastream). - But with nowadays quad core processors you would hardly notice that!

Ow btw: bruteforce cracking hardly ever happens nowadays: you probably won't ever notice this, but runescape (as most other programs) have pretty good protection against it! (IE: if it notices you're doing too many attempts in exactly the right time, it blocks your IP, and informs your ISP).

Also as for passwords: there used to be 1 major flaw in the runescape password recovery center:

-4 old passwords

-date last log in

I think you're the one that has no knowledge about what you talk.

Firstly, mcAfee is far from a decent AV program. First, it's one of the most resource hungry AVs out there. Second, it has pretty bad detection rates, and I can prove that to you. You have the choice to either get a good AV like Kaspersky, Avira (full or free edition) or NOD32, jut use an online scanner like Kaspersky's online scanner or Housecall. If you go for another AV, you will see how much of a resource hog mcafee is, if not, you will still see that mcafee didn't detect all your viruses. Even Norton is better than mcafee now, since they corrected a bit the part of their program that made it a resource hog, but it still has bad detection rates.

You did not describe hacking in anyway. For it to be hacking, the hacker has to go inside the victim's computer and get that information personnally, in which case, I don't see anywone who would do it. All the "hackers" do is they use phishing sites or sites that send keyloggers as bait for people to willingly go on those site. I think you know the rest.

There, short and clear.

Yeah hacking is such a jerk thing to do, and I hate all of those who do it. -.-

I do remember one time though when a guy gave me a high level account, and told me to transfer all my possessions to it, or else he would take it back. Instead I just put all his current possessions in his inventory, ran out into the middle of the wilderness, and gave someone a nice day. :P

Never talked to him again...

LOL that's awesome! Outsmarting these "hackers" make the best stories. :XD: Hilarious. :thumbsup:

Blakdragon39.png

I only read the first page and already massively disagree with alot of posts. The just of the posts are 'don't be stupid and you son't get hacked' Well i disagree, even the smartest of us will get hacked.

Why do i think this? Because i was hacked around 2 months ago. The 'hacker' changed my password while i was online, and when i logged out to hop worlds, i could not log back in. They then had around 3 hours in which it took jagex to change my password for me to go on my account and drop 26m at the party room. I was not stupid, i still to this day do not know how this person got access to my computer, i have NEVER told anybody my password, I also had a reputable antivirus and firewall at the time (mcafee) that i was paying for, and i had never visited any runescape based site to ahve my password phised. A few days after i got Avira antivirus and found a trojan on my computer that mcafee had not found and swiftly deleted it, however, how this got on my computer i have abosoultely no idea. I was not stupid, I didn't download anything runescape related and i will say i know an above average amount about computers, but how was i supposed to know mcafee wouldn't find this trojan?

Now, why the hacker did this i have no idea, probably because they are the scum of human evolution, only doing this to harm people, as my items were dropped at the party room, the person had no personal gain whatsoever, so they had no reason whatsoever to do this.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I don't get why everybody is so annoyed at the term hacker, its a general term used in rs for when your accounts stolen, simple as, its just like the word hacking has become the word for cracking.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

[hide=Mass quote of AV Debate]

-4 old passwords

-date last log in

I think you're the one that has no knowledge about what you talk.

Firstly, mcAfee is far from a decent AV program. First, it's one of the most resource hungry AVs out there. Second, it has pretty bad detection rates, and I can prove that to you. You have the choice to either get a good AV like Kaspersky, Avira (full or free edition) or NOD32, jut use an online scanner like Kaspersky's online scanner or Housecall. If you go for another AV, you will see how much of a resource hog mcafee is, if not, you will still see that mcafee didn't detect all your viruses. Even Norton is better than mcafee now, since they corrected a bit the part of their program that made it a resource hog, but it still has bad detection rates.

You did not describe hacking in anyway. For it to be hacking, the hacker has to go inside the victim's computer and get that information personnally, in which case, I don't see anywone who would do it. All the "hackers" do is they use phishing sites or sites that send keyloggers as bait for people to willingly go on those site. I think you know the rest.

There, short and clear.

[/hide]

Thank you so much sbrideau2000 for setting that other person straight. If I have one pet peeve in this life, it's about people who even bring up "good anti virus" and "mcAfee" in the same paragraph.

--------

I see a lot of you started talking about how this wasn't hacking, and that recommendations were made as to how to stay secure... so I wont be bringing up any of those points.

One post I did read (somewhere in here) mentioned that the people who are in charge of these keyloggers should be doing better things with their time than obtaining RS information. You, have a point - but also take into account that they are probably also taking all of their other information as well.

I have rarely seen a case where someone is operating keylogging software on someone's computer, and stops after collecting once piece of data. Chances are they will harvest a lot of information (account details/passwords/even chat scripts if it's personal) - This information is then either used, or posted on a thread, in a forum (much like this) so that other people can grab what they want, in a first come first serve fashion - I myself have seen Runescape accounts crop up a few times in various password/account dumps.

It is also well known to people that there are different risk factors when dealing with different pieces of information (Bank Details > MSN Login) So, like with all things in life, people will focus on doing/obtaining something they feel comfortable with.

----------------

As to the "deal" with doing any of this stuff? It's Simple, because they can, and/or they want something.

This world isn't all pleasant, and a growing minority simply don't care about other peoples feelings when they steal, I mean why should they? When it's done over the internet, they can be fairly certain that they will stay anonymous and safe to any regular user.

It's times like these that make you say "life's a b**ch" - well... it's going to stay that way, and the "hackers" couldn't give a damn.

I don't get why everybody is so annoyed at the term hacker, its a general term used in rs for when your accounts stolen, simple as, its just like the word hacking has become the word for cracking.

Because it's annoying?

Well its annoying when people get up on their high horse about it, when its obvious what we mean when we say somebody has been hacked.

zqXeV.jpg