North Korea launches a rocket

Deiophobus

North Korea has launched a long-range rocket, a South Korean official confirmed to CNN on Sunday.

The payload of the rocket remains unclear. North Korea has said the rocket was to carry a satellite into space, but the United States, South Korea and other nations fear it could be a missile with a warhead attached.

advertisement

Earlier Sunday, before the launch, South Korea's national security council called an emergency meeting amid concerns that a North Korean rocket launch was imminent, a presidential spokesperson told CNN Sunday.

On Friday, U.S. President Barack Obama reiterated that the United States strongly opposes any such launch.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

I'm not sure how interesting any of you consider this, I was just wondering your opinions in general about North Korea, or their intentions. My main fear is that the United States will overreact to this, and create more trouble than there already is.

snowsigyy7.png

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US is unlikely to overreact, the last thing I would expect out of Obama is an overly harsh approach.

Unlikely this will amount to anything, North Korea doesnt have the army to back up an attack on anyone; however, the international community needs to find a way to deal with it.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I don't know much about the situations in North Korea, but I agree. It sounds scarier than it probably is, and overreaction/retaliation could be where the real danger lies. Rather interesting though.

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

3 possible ways this can go down.

1. It's a nuke, and WWIII starts.

2. It's not a nuke, but someone overeacts and WWIII starts.

3. It's not a nuke, noone overeacts, I drink some hot chocolate and go to bed.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Uhhh...... F@#k. When was this exactly? I want to know a good approximation of when I should be listening for a big, Earth-shattering kaboom. (first one to get the reference gets 3 free internets) If it's NOT a missile, chances are, NK is doing this primarily as a means of seeing what they can get away with. That little bastard Kim needs a good spank, IMO. However, this might prove difficult.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Uhhh...... F@#k. When was this exactly? I want to know a good approximation of when I should be listening for a big, Earth-shattering kaboom. (first one to get the reference gets 3 free internets) If it's NOT a missile, chances are, NK is doing this primarily as a means of seeing what they can get away with. That little bastard Kim needs a good spank, IMO. However, this might prove difficult.

How about "spanking" a bullet into his [wagon]? Anyway, this egotistical bastard suppresses the advancement of his own people and then dares to force them to pay him homage when they pass by a huge statue of him.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

How about "spanking" a bullet into his [wagon]?

:uhh:

Yep, you. We're spanking you into his [wagon]...now hop aboard next flight to North Korea and await further instructions.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

How about "spanking" a bullet into his [wagon]?

:uhh:

Yep, you. We're spanking you into his [wagon]...now hop aboard next flight to North Korea and await further instructions.

Oh lord. Make this quick. :x

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

None of you people have any idea how f**ked up, corrupted, and down right insane North Korea is, right?

I hope not, for I fear for you if you do and you're making posts like these.

WWIII. Ha. The only thing that would result from NK launching a nuke would be the creation of a gigantic crater above SK.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

None of you people have any idea how f**ked up, corrupted, and down right insane North Korea is, right?

WWIII. Ha. The only thing that would result from NK launching a nuke would be the creation of a gigantic crater above SK.

Most likely it's not even a nuke, but if it is, they're not using it on SK. The thing is, the first country to launch a nuke is going to get gang raped by everyone, but do you know if NK has allies?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Most likely it's not even a nuke, but if it is, they're not using it on SK. The thing is, the first country to launch a nuke is going to get gang raped by everyone, but do you know if NK has allies?

He means that everyone will bomb NK, hence the above (as in north of.)

----------------

Listening to: Metallica - Through the Never

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

China is NK's greatest ally.

Still, China needs us to keep their economy going (which is kinda weird if you think about it.)

So tangleweb. Great. Make the right choice China! Or we'll cut off you're economy entirely 8-)

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Well China and Russia are allied with them to an extent.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

If a real missile was launched over Japanese soil, it would be shot down immediately by Japanese missiles.

The only reason Japan didn't intercept this one was because North Korea had stated that it was a "test" rocket, and that if Japan shot it down, they would perform military action against them.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Japan will just shoot them down.

PEW PEW PEW

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

The last thing Obama will do is give a knee jerk reaction.

Apparently you guys haven't been paying attention to the new leader of the free world. Just a recap of what he's been up to:

"As a result of the dialogue between the three heads of the state, they found a common ground that allowed Turkey to believe that their legitimate concerns about terror were going to be addressed, and Denmark, the Prime Minister found common ground to where, in his capacity as Secretary General, that Turkey now feels certain that he will take their considerations -- take under account their considerations Alliance-wide," Jones said.

When the three men returned to the main session, Jones told reporters, they had smiles on their faces, indicating that a deal of some sort had been clinched.

This was a different style than what the leader are used to from a U.S. President," the non-Obama administration source said. "Obama was instrumental in making this happen. Obama eventually clenched the decision with his leadership and because he listened to what people said.

Said Jones: "I think it was a very helpful moment. I think that our President really was instrumental in bringing about this common ground and finding this common ground -- and as a result the Alliance has a new Secretary General elected unanimously."

The rest is here: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... oba-3.html

And of course his resolve between China and France:

But Mr. Obama, according to this account, stepped between the two men, urging them to try to find consensus, and giving them a "pep talk" about the importance of working together.

The senior adminstration official said that Mr. Obama pulled Mr. Sarkozy aside, took him to a corner, "and discussed possible alternatives," the senior official said.

Once they arrived at one, President Obama "sent a message to the Chinese" that a counter-offer was on the table. The Chinese spent some time considering the offer. But they took a few minutes.

So Mr. Obama, with the assistance of translators, suggested that he and Mr. Hu have a conversation as well. They, too went to the corner to talk. After a few minutes, Mr. Obama called upon Mr. Sarkozy to join them.

"Translators and sherpas in tow, they reached an agreement," the official said. "There was a multiple shaking of hands."

The agreement: the final G-20 document would state that the G-20 nations "stand ready to deploy sanctions to protect our public finances and financial systems. The era of banking secrecy is over. We note that the OECD has today published a list of countries assessed by the Global Forum against the international standard for exchange of tax information."

Rest here: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... ma-pl.html

And finally, a call for all nations, including the US and Russia, to suspend all nuclear weapons programs. Of course it's only a dream, but we all have dreams, and hopefully something will come of it:

President Barack Obama will call for the elimination of all nuclear weapons across the globe, in remarks on Sunday he hopes will lend credibility to his message in atomic disputes with Iran and North Korea.

Visiting Prague during an eight-day visit to Europe, Obama plans to deliver what his aides have billed as a major speech on weapons proliferation.

Obama, who is making his debut on the world stage, said in Strasbourg, France on Friday that he would lay out an agenda to secure the world's loose nuclear materials and halt the spread of illicit weapons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090404/pl_ ... ama_europe

I doubt we would shoot it down without (making up) any just reason. Theoreticly it might be shot down if it comes in our airspace and is a little too close to the ground.

There was tons of coverage in the Japanese news about this today and yesterday, although it seems that nothing really came of it.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!