Non-traditional sources of raw materials

Punitive_D

Maybe this thread has been here before, but the DIY thread made me think of this. Like some who posted there, I am a cheapskate. Pretty much the only things I buy on the GE are things that are way beyond my level to make or things that are extremely rare drops. This means that I gather a lot of my own raw materials. Over the years, some of my material gathering methods have evolved.

For example, pure ess. In the beginning, I mined it. Wow, was that a drag. Then I discovered temple trekking, and for quite some time, I temple trekked for all my pure ess. Then I switched to gargoyles. Now I camp abby demons for pure ess. Sure beats mining it.

Another problem for me was raw sharks for bunyip pouches. I hate fishing, so getting the level to fish sharks is out of the question in the short run. Then Duradel was kind enough to assign brine rats to me -- noted raw sharks as a fairly common drop from a very easy monster to kill. Even newbs can camp brine rats all day. I may never get the level to fish sharks now!

A third an final example is waterfiends. Those little guys provide a lot of raw materials for me -- just a few are noted snapegrass, noted water filled vials, noted mith bars, and, most importantly, noted uncharged orbs. Sure, you have to pray against them, but it's not too bad, and take an sgs, and you can camp there for a very, very long time.

Now I wonder whether I might be missing other opportunities to gather raw materials through combat?

punitivedsig.png

I've gotten 2 Construction levels from Oak Planks provided by Armoured Zombie drops.

I get the Water Talismans for Ice Titan pouches from Brine Rats instead of the Grand Exchange (because they're overpriced).

All of my Law Runes (well over 10k at this point) come from Cockroach Soldier drops. The same goes for Death Runes.

There are a few more I know of, but I don't want to ruin it for people who have found them out on their own. ::'

150k fire runes from random slayer tasks.

All my pure essence is from zombies.

Planks from zombies.

All my coal is from random events.

ALL of my Seeds are from slayer drops. 1k and up seeds.

43 ugthanki kebabs lol

Stellactic.gif

Ice trolls drop good amounts of raw sharks, seaweed, coal, and balls of wool (not sure how many people need that last one, though).

Minotaurs drop more iron arrows than you'll ever need -- even with a range level of about 30, you'll gain arrows by ranging them.

Basilisks drop a large number of nature runes.

Nechryaels and cave horrors drop a lot of herb seeds.

Abyssal lurkers drop just about every type of talisman, in case you need any.

Desert lizards drop a lot of ores, but they're all unnoted, which is slightly irritating.

Goraks are a very good source of gems/half keys; I usually manage to get one gem per monkfish used.

There are probably more that I know, but none of them stick out all that much in my mind.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Cockroach soldiers are a great source of mithril ore, and to a lesser extent addy ore. They drop both noted, along with laws and deaths, as someone here stated.

Chaos druids remain the easiest way to collect herbs at any level, I have used them for as long as I can remember. They also supply a good amount of mithril bolts.

Ankous (not sure of the spelling) from the stronghold of security drop loads of bloods and deaths, as well as noted pure ess.

Mighty banshee are a favorite task of mine, easy to range, and drop lots of herbs and noted pure ess.

Eclectic imps are good for noted oak planks, addy ore, and gold bars.

Just a few that I know. \'

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

Those Bandos statues are probably the #1 for gems now.

No, Goraks still beat 'em by a mile.

But yeah, I've actually got a lot of my stuff from every monster I fought. I never, ever had to buy another Ranarr/Prayer potion after I did Abberant Spectre tasks; saving up charms + cash for a War Tortoise so I don't really have to leave. :D

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I love the alternative ways to get raw materials. They open up otherwise really inefficient training ways and they give high levels the opportunity to gather raw materials while doing more 'useful' stuff. Pure essence at abyssals is a great example this. Jagex did a great job with introducing this.

Aviansies are responsible for a large part of the Smithing capes out there. I think Jagex did a great job with those; very few people did something else than goldsmithing before aviansies.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Duradel assigns Brine Rats?

I don't know if this really counts: but going to Tai Bow Wannai and killing the mosquitos is great money, something like 4k per probiscis, and you can get 5 in one drop. Or the Gout tubers you can get, these are much less common, but still not all that rare, and add a nice ~30k to your cash pile.

It is even possible to camp here for long amounts of time, just bring some anti++, a machete and some reclaym(sp?) balm, then chop away, when you get a spider, kill it, skewer it and cook it, then either eat that or use it on Broodoo victims (upwards of 30 damage).

You could even note your anti and blam, get it unnoted at the general store (bring some money) and then you could camp here technically forever.

2v8sgvs.png

Those Bandos statues are probably the #1 for gems now.

No, Goraks still beat 'em by a mile.

For the average 'scaper, statues are.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Waterfiends drop Water orbs, not uncharged orbs ;)

I just might go camp Bandos statues too, I've run low on gems :)

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

For my time - the #1 gem spot is the wall safes in the Rogue's Den.

Also Kurask for noted pineapples - not that anyone is going to run off and kill Kurasks just because of that.

svenne.png

#14340th to 99 magic!! w000t

Waterfiends drop Water orbs, not uncharged orbs ;)

You're definitely right that they drop water orbs -- a ton of them! I thought they dropped uncharged orbs as well. Something that I kill drops noted uncharged orbs because they build up in my bank. When I get enough, I make a few air orb runs. Anybody know what drops noted uncharged orbs?

punitivedsig.png

Does anyone know the drop rate of oak planks/hr at zombies? I'm going to do that to gain combat xp and oak planks for construction.

This is really helpful :D

During f2p, I trained on cockroach soldiers and got almost 2k mith ores from them. Also a wonderful source of laws.

king_bawoul.png

Kudos to the self-sufficient Runescapers around the board.

I consider myself really poor for my level because i could never merch in the days before GE.

I almost always get things for myself if i have the levels instead of buying them. Especially runes these days

One exception is Coal. Unless i buy this, my minings gonna shoot waaaay over my smithing, and i wanna keep those skills close.

I like to bring a hatchet and clay knife with me Hunting, so i can make arrow shafts while i wait for the traps.

For cheap construction xp you can also cut the lone teak, west by south west of castle wars. Bring a ring to bank.

I've seen people killing jungle spiders near Tai Bwo Wannai and Brimhaven... But i almost never see anyone @ Hazlemere's place by Yanille. 50 hp, and spider carcasses are valuable to summoners as well as their only drop, so u can use warrior/archer/etc rings instead of wealth. Short run to yanille, or theres a fairy ring. Some kinda clunky safe spots too (Dont bring a halberd). I've never tried maging them. 100k/ good hour easy or good for training summoning low lv.

I have no idea where other people get their goat horns for combat potions and smoke devils, cause i never see anyone at the cluster of them north of Uzer. Unless they're questing i dont see anyone. Crushed goat horns were going for 800+ last i checked, and they're easier to kill than spiders. I use a Broomstick to tele, and bank at Shantay Pass. Bones and Goat horn guaranteed drops so again u can use another ring, i wear Charos (a). 135 gp for a carpet ride to uzer, waterskin 4, and pass. 235 if you dont wear Ring of charos (a). 120k/ good hour. I keep most for the aforementioned pots and summons.

My wackiest non-traditional thing has got to be how i get a lot of my herbs:

Bringing a macaw to draynor sewers and slaying zombies. Ive gotten everything from them, no double drops.

Though i have gotten dwarf weeds from the lv 13s. Macaw scroll works in sewer too for even more herbs.

On a good day you can make money Crumbling undead down there. but i usually melee w/ salve amulet (e)

Brought to you by the word: Collusion (price fixing).

Its what Merchant clans do to ruin the economy for personal gain.

Balance out the GE! Skill Kill and Merch for YOURSELF.

Asellus5.png

May Guthix bring you balance.