Being a Geek is now "cool" in today's pop culture...

Latinoking

Umm...since when does it matter?

It's never matter, I could care less if people group themselves and call themselves geeks or other people (Jocks come to mind) when they try to make themselves look better by calling the other "lower" person a geek.

I don't believe it now gives hope for the person who hopes in finding that special someone, but I find it funny, that now geeks are consider cool by society. :geek:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternatively, shows are designed to appeal to "geeks"

And being a geek isn't cool. Being a jock isn't cool. It's not like it's a blanket statement that covers anything, some people are "cool" some aren't.

In any case, it doesn't matter. It's not like suddenly lives are being changed by the statement that geeks are cool.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

It's never matter, I could care less if people group themselves and call themselves geeks or other people (Jocks come to mind) when they try to make themselves look better by calling the other "lower" person a geek.

Calling them a geek doesn't lower them. Who or what says geeks are lower? Your/themselves.

I seem to recall having an argument with you in the past, a heated one which caused me to feel a sense of rage towards the sight of your avatar.

That rage is now gone :thumbup: .

Well sometimes you need to be hit with reality hard to learn things straight.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I find this dumb. I am a true geek. I have random computer knowledge, have inane math skills, play D&D (which I bet most 'geeks' do not), and I receive the ThinkGeek catalog as well as the American Science & Surplus catalog (both amazing things... http://www.sciplus.com) And I own sufficiently geeky tshirts, a D&D one, a Link one, and a LEGO Darth Vader one (which says 'The Force is strong with this one'). I can quote passages of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Star Wars, and Harry Potter. I know about 'DO NOT WANT'... And I use GIMP but not Linux.

Squeez Bacon!!!

...But can you code?

C2b6gs7.png

Pff. I saw this title five or six times, and this is the first time I notice that it says Geek instead of Greek. I already thought it was such a strange thing to notice, that being Greek is now cool in today's pop culture. :')

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Pff. I saw this title five or six times, and this is the first time I notice that it says Geek instead of Greek. I already thought it was such a strange thing to notice, that being Greek is now cool in today's pop culture. :')

Yeah, everyone seems to be obsessed with Spartans nowadays for some reason.

I think it's a load of crap, there may be shows designed FOR so called 'geeks' but when I wake up tomorrow I'm not going to go to college and see loads of people wearing t-shirts with internet related/science/math ect slogans on. I'm not going to hear them talking about the upgrade they're going to do to their computer that night. It's just a load of bs really. :wall:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I'll take an oily-skinned, muscled Greek over a geek at any given time of the day though. Especially if he watches Battlestar Galactica.

I think it's a load of crap, there may be shows designed FOR so called 'geeks' but when I wake up tomorrow I'm not going to go to college and see loads of people wearing t-shirts with internet related/science/math ect slogans on.

Why are you making it sound like that's a bad thing? Those "wacky" internet humour shirts are absolutely terrible.

Also I don't see what the big deal is, and why this is at all topic-worthy. People these days seem to be so obsessed with different cliques and the need to fit into one of them; I really don't get it. From my own experience, all through kindergarden, elementary school, high school and university, nobody gave ten [cabbage]s what "clique" you fit into; if you were interesting, cool and friendly, people would hang out with you. Didn't matter what clothes you wore or if you knew a lot of math, science or sports - it was mixed. "Jocks" would hang out with the math and science wizzes, just like they would hang out with the "jocks". Maybe it's just Sweden.

2009rb9.jpg

I'll take an oily-skinned, muscled Greek over a geek at any given time of the day though. Especially if he watches Battlestar Galactica.

Greeks are hairy, though. But I wasn't really thinking about oily-skinned, muscled Greeks that watch Battlestar Galactica. :P I thought that dressing up like Plato was the next new thing.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Geeks are just the 'cool' kids who know how to use their computer/phone properly. Although the term geek originally was used for a circus act of biting the head off a live snake. I'm just going to stick with being a nerd, we will steal your gf!

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I bet some people are gonna say they are "geeks" after seeing the new Star Trek movie, and i hate this. They probablly couldn't even tell you anything about TOS or TNG... just because they saw the movie now they love it and are fans. Although, probablly a year ago they would have made fun of any Treker calling them a geek or dweeb. Just a thought.

Masta Chef

archsupportei2.png

Drops-- Dragon: Medium(2),Spear(1),Legs(2),Skirt(1)

Pharaoh's Scepter(1)

Barrows items(10 total)

Who says Geek's haven't always been cool?

What defines "cool" anyway?

Lol thats something someone who isnt cool would say haha :lol:

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

Society has "accepted" geeks more. That's true. But those popular geeks are what metalheads call posers. They are preppy girls that changes the geek thing to something cool and kawaii on weabos, you know those girls wearing glasses and a unfunny technology related shirt you see on a Starbucks with their Macs talking on iPhones.

Geeks are just the 'cool' kids who know how to use their computer/phone properly. Although the term geek originally was used for a circus act of biting the head off a live snake. I'm just going to stick with being a nerd, we will steal your gf!

That is really ironic. I don't know if I can call my self a geek or a nerd, although I am "smarter" that have the tards in my school, but this girl, who is pretty damn popular, just dumped her extremely popular boyfriend to go and make out with me, the uncool, loser-ish (according to everyone else) kid who cares about school. <3:

OT: I don't know where you guys are getting this "geeks are cool" thing from. I am usually quiet in school, and mind my own business. I still get bullied to hell because I know what Ubuntu is. :?

Sicus Locum Para Bellum!

That is really ironic. I don't know if I can call my self a geek or a nerd, although I am "smarter" that have the tards in my school, but this girl, who is pretty damn popular, just dumped her extremely popular boyfriend to go and make out with me, the uncool, loser-ish (according to everyone else) kid who cares about school. <3:

Lulwut?

keen.png

I find this dumb. I am a true geek. I have random computer knowledge, have inane math skills, play D&D (which I bet most 'geeks' do not), and I receive the ThinkGeek catalog as well as the American Science & Surplus catalog (both amazing things... http://www.sciplus.com) And I own sufficiently geeky tshirts, a D&D one, a Link one, and a LEGO Darth Vader one (which says 'The Force is strong with this one'). I can quote passages of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Star Wars, and Harry Potter. I know about 'DO NOT WANT'... And I use GIMP but not Linux.

Squeez Bacon!!!

...But can you code?

Some, but not a lot. But I plan on learning... And coding does not define geek, I'd like to think that sufficiently geeky things are also at work... ie D&D, which I believe that you don't play.

From my own experience, all through kindergarden, elementary school, high school and university, nobody gave ten [cabbage] what "clique" you fit into; if you were interesting, cool and friendly, people would hang out with you. Didn't matter what clothes you wore or if you knew a lot of math, science or sports - it was mixed. "Jocks" would hang out with the math and science wizzes, just like they would hang out with the "jocks". Maybe it's just Sweden.

This is like my school. You just gotta have a good attitude is all.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Hmm... I don't know if I'm a geek or a nerd XD

I have some computer experience, I would play D&D if I could get a few other people to try it, I play MTG at lunch time at school, I know a few random things about the world and things in it...

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

Hmm... I don't know if I'm a geek or a nerd XD

I have some computer experience, I would play D&D if I could get a few other people to try it, I play MTG at lunch time at school, I know a few random things about the world and things in it...

You're just a human, lets leave it at that.

siggy3s.jpg

Squeez Bacon!!!

...But can you code?

Some, but not a lot. But I plan on learning... And coding does not define geek, I'd like to think that sufficiently geeky things are also at work... ie D&D, which I believe that you don't play.

D&D is optional. Coding (And knowing how use advanced Linux command line features) is not.

C2b6gs7.png

Maybe in pop culture (mainly TV & movies), but I doubt geeks will ever be called 'cool' in the real world, not in my surroundings, anyway.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.