Are you self suffcient?

Albel

That's not fun at all.

I think I'll play the game for fun, not to waste time doing what bots/skillers can do.

Agreed.

I don't see the fun in grinding for hours to get a piece of armour or be able to complete my slayer task getting 2nds, herbs, food etc.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 100% non self-sufficent.

I buy everything.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

I can be mostly self sufficient, but I don't do so most of the time

for example, I prefer buying rune essence than mining them myself, also as f2p, I cannot craft my own natures, or so, so I need an external supply, except if you include killing thousands of dark wizards for their rune drop

About 80% self reliant

BLOSSOM_KING.png

A new member; f2p for 4+ years

Seldom get online due to in real life business

Always support f2p improvements

I'm not self-sufficient. Even before the introduction of the GE, I would always stand around World 1/2 looking for supplies, and I would buy them at any ridiculous price... (Rune arrows for 600 gp each when I wanted to go PK'ing)

I would say it's kind of like a double edged sword...I get my things quickly, but it burns a hole through my virtual wallet :(

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I'm mostly self-sufficient. The reason I'm not like most of you is because I don't have a whole lot of money, nor do I have a good way to make a whole lot of money. I'll buy materials for things which will turn into a profit for me (such as flax or pure ess) but everything else I gather myself.

myarm2.png

2819th to reach 99 agility - June 30, 2009

Rare Drops: Champion Scrollx13, Shield Left Halfx2, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Spear

43rd Member of XV Champions Club - 2/07/11 http://www.runehead.com/clans/ml.php?clan=xvchampions

Whats the point of being self sufficient, if you are then you are waisting your time. In my experience in the game, you do what your best at.

eg. if i need money I will just RC the nats and buy the pure essence. Minning the pure ess and then crafting it is a waste of my time. Sure I miss out on some minning experience, but i can just power mine some ores after I rc, and still make more money than I would have bein self sufficient.

Money is time, time is money. All items have a time and monetary cost. If you got 99minning dont use your level 40 fishing to get lobbies for Pking, be smart, dont waste your time. Mine some rune ore for 1 hour. then sell the urne ore and buy some lobs...

And remember the GE is your no.1 asset :)

Sure some players are selfsufficient, but in the long run, they could have obtained more by applying very basic economic principles to their training.

(puts on anti shield)

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

I was self sufficient back in the day because I had very little money, and it was honestly a pain in the [wagon] to spend an hour spamming "Buying xxxxxx! xxxxxx gp ea.!"

With the ge I buy most things because it's more efficient.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Whats the point of being self sufficient, if you are then you are waisting your time. In my experience in the game, you do what your best at.

eg. if i need money I will just RC the nats and buy the pure essence. Minning the pure ess and then crafting it is a waste of my time. Sure I miss out on some minning experience, but i can just power mine some ores after I rc, and still make more money than I would have bein self sufficient.

Money is time, time is money. All items have a time and monetary cost. If you got 99minning dont use your level 40 fishing to get lobbies for Pking, be smart, dont waste your time. Mine some rune ore for 1 hour. then sell the urne ore and buy some lobs...

Sure some players are selfsufficient, but in the long run, they could have obtained more by applying very basic economic principles to their training.

(puts on anti shield)

Self sufficiency isn't about profits, nor is Runescape. The point of both is to have fun. If you like being self sufficient, you should be. If not, then buy the stuff. There is no right or wrong answer to this question, after all.

(puts on anti shield)

Self sufficiency isn't about profits, nor is Runescape. The point of both is to have fun. If you like being self sufficient, you should be. If not, then buy the stuff. There is no right or wrong answer to this question, after all.

Lol! Self sufficiency = not fun. How is doing something a 4 year old fun. If you like waisting your time, sitting infront of a tree bored out of your brains cause you dont understand how the game works do that. If you want to unlock all the game content and really have fun, use the GE. There actually is a right and wrong answer, and that is "do what is the most fun/efficient" do not waist your time to be "self suffiecint" 99 coking is 99 cooking if you fished the fish or didnt.. either way. I know this may seem wrong in many readers eyes. But in my years of playing, training one skill for a week is better than changing skills every 20mins.

I am training slayer at the moment, I am going to be level 99, I use cannon in most cannonable tasks, why would i want to be "self suffiecit" and waste my time doing things such as making cannonballs, making my own potions, it works out better to sell all my herbs, buy pots, sell items like d boots in the GE and buy more cannonballs.... self sufficiency.. hmm yawns

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

[hide=]

(puts on anti shield)

Lol! Self sufficiency = not fun. How is doing something a 4 year old fun. If you like waisting your time, sitting infront of a tree bored out of your brains cause you dont understand how the game works do that. If you want to unlock all the game content and really have fun, use the GE. There actually is a right and wrong answer, and that is "do what is the most fun/efficient" do not waist your time to be "self suffiecint" 99 coking is 99 cooking if you fished the fish or didnt.. either way. I know this may seem wrong in many readers eyes. But in my years of playing, training one skill for a week is better than changing skills every 20mins.

I am training slayer at the moment, I am going to be level 99, I use cannon in most cannonable tasks, why would i want to be "self suffiecit" and waste my time doing things such as making cannonballs, making my own potions, it works out better to sell all my herbs, buy pots, sell items like d boots in the GE and buy more cannonballs.... self sufficiency.. hmm yawns

[/hide]

Your idea of fun is not everybody's idea of fun. I personally enjoy fishing and woodcutting. And, no, I am not 4 years old. And, yes, I do understand how the game works.

If you haven't noticed, the highscores are based on a thing called "experience", not networth. Therefore, experience is the thing to strive for in this game.

EDIT: And there is still no wrong answer to this question, despite your attempt to show otherwise.

[hide=]

(puts on anti shield)

[/hide]

Your idea of fun is not everybody's idea of fun. I personally enjoy fishing and woodcutting. And, no, I am not 4 years old. And, yes, I do understand how the game works.

If you haven't noticed, the highscores are based on a thing called "experience", not networth. Therefore, experience is the thing to strive for in this game.

LOL? look me up? I think I am doing pretty well in the highscores without at all being selfsufficient. Being effiecint and using player trade/ GE is a factor helping you increase your xp and gold per hour.. In fact I am very poor for my level, (80m) all up. So it shows you that whilst I have a low networth, I have made alot of experience from being efficient and trading etc. (over 280million)

I never said oyu were 4, but anyone that has studied basic highschool economics (im a universtiy student) will understand the principle of comparative advantage. To be honest, you do not understand this principle and you are just an average runescape player that has not yet come to a soft of "enlightement" of sorts where you realise the true relationship of time. methods.and money in the game.

I love woodcutting too, I enjoyed cutting willows and I love fishing too, but I would rather get the fastest xp per hour possible., then after do something more monetarily rewarding... eg. If you play for 2 hours. better to fish at barbarian whirpool for 1 hour than rc for 1 hour, than fish sharks for 2 hours.

Its really basic what im saying. players that are self sufficient are waisting their time when they could be doing better things.

Sorry if i am comming across as rude, but if you follow this prinicple you will:

a. be richer in the long run

b. be able to spend more time doing fun things and end game content earlier

c. have more xp and levels

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Am I self-sufficient? Yes, very much so. I have not spent a penny on farming, prayer, fletch, magic, cooking, fm, craft, or smithing. I do buy water-filled vials for herblore but I do not buy herbs or seconds (I don't count eye of newt from the shop). The only other thing I buy that I could get myself is pure ess. I did used to mine it for years until the quantities I needed to make the quantities of runes I needed were unpractical to mine anymore.

I buy things from GE when I need an odd item for a clue or a quest. Also I do buy from the GE weapons and armor I can't get from a drop (too rare or too dangerous).

I really hate the idea of selling drops (say... ranarr seeds for example) or products (like prayer potions) I get that I'm going to have to buy back from the GE later when I want to train another skill when I could have just kept the materials in the first place.

@ford_landau

If your goal is to gain combat related xp like slayer efficiently, certainly what you describe is faster xp. However if someone's goal is to unlock the ability to make a high level potion like saradomin brew, selling all the herb and herb seed drops from combat and buying potions is not efficient. There are many more examples like this. If you only want food to do more combat or pk then making money the most efficient method you can and buying food is better than fishing and/or cooking it. Again however, if your GOAL is to unlock the ability to fish and cook sharks for example, AND do combat, then fishing and cooking your own food and then using that food to train (assuming it isn't too low level food) is the obvious choice to me.

So you are correct in some ways. However the "most efficient" DOES depend on the individual player's goals. Some people play Runescape to train skills and not just to do combat and make money.

As several people have stated though, efficiency is irrelevant because Runescape is a game and you do what is fun, the most efficient way is not always the most fun, even if it helps your character more in the long run, which it may or may not.

P.S. Ending game content earlier is not necessarily a good idea and certainly not everyone's goal, the journey is the fun part for many. :)

Because of the first word in the question, there is no right answer. Change it to "Should" and you might have a point.

Because this is a GAME, the only thing that matters is the fun factor. Not "Comparative Advantage". I honestly don't want to max out fast, because then the fun factor drops. And when I no longer enjoy the game, I will have to find a new one.

As for your 3 points at the end there, I am rich enough for my own liking, with only about 15M bankworth. I already do what I find fun. It is called skilling. And ultimately, I will end up with the same experience and levels as you, minus the P2P portions. Unless of course I can't finish due to some unforeseen occurence.

So you are correct in some ways. However the "most efficient" DOES depend on the individual player's goals. Some people play Runescape to train skills and not just to do combat and make money.

The 'most efficient' method is by default the one that will cost you the least time (and make you reach your goal the fastest way) in the long run. Whatever your preferences are, there's always one method that's the absolute fastest, and it's your choice whether you want to use it or not. The efficiency of various methods depends on the money/hour you can make, so usually this is expressed as 'if you make 360k/hour or more, this method is the most efficient for you'.

There is no such thing as opinion about efficiency. A method is either efficient or not, and if you want to use it or not is completely up to you. If you value things such as 'fun' (boring mortals, fun's a waste of time <.<) higher than being efficient, then by all means go ahead and do whatever you want. Just realize you are spending more time on whatever you want to achieve than you would have spent using an efficient method.

2dvjurb.png

When I said that 'the most efficient depends on an individual player's goals' I meant which actual method is most efficient to match an individual's goals. For some, the most efficient for their goals is not to sell drops from combat to buy the materials for combat, or other examples given by ford_landau. I'm just saying the method HE gives for being most efficient is NOT the most efficient ALWAYS, just for HIS goals.

EDIT: "If you value things such as 'fun' (boring mortals, fun's a waste of time <.<) higher than being efficient, then by all means go ahead and do whatever you want. Just realize you are spending more time on whatever you want to achieve than you would have spent using an efficient method."

What if the efficient method is so boring that it would never happen so the choice is fun way or never achieve your goal? The more efficient method then, taking into effect your own inefficient brain (if you want to call it that), the fun way is the more efficient way as the alternative is NO progress. It's a bit of a stretch I know, it's a separate point entirely, I DO understand what efficiency means.

When I said that 'the most efficient depends on an individual player's goals' I meant which actual method is most efficient to match an individual's goals. For some, the most efficient for their goals is not to sell drops from combat to buy the materials for combat, or other examples given by ford_landau. I'm just saying the method HE gives for being most efficient is NOT the most efficient ALWAYS, just for HIS goals.

Let's say he gets a toadflax seed as a drop. Should he sell it? If he truly is efficient he should, because he should already be farming snapdragons (which is efficient). But if he isn't farming yet, it would be more efficient to plant the seed. Even more efficient would be selling the toadflax seed and buying snapdragon seeds with it (can't buy a snap seed with just the money from one toad seed but I hope you get the point).

But the method he gives for being the most efficient is indeed the most efficient (providing you value slayer xp quite high). If you have other goals, of course you'll have to do other things to be efficient, but it doesn't really change anything.

What if the efficient method is so boring that it would never happen so the choice is fun way or never achieve your goal? The more efficient method then, taking into effect your own inefficient brain (if you want to call it that), the fun way is the more efficient way as the alternative is NO progress. It's a bit of a stretch I know, it's a separate point entirely, I DO understand what efficiency means.

That's true. If you absolutely can't stand the efficient method, by all means use a less efficient method you can stand.

2dvjurb.png

I'm proud to be the laziest SOB on RS :lol: I will buy anything and everything at maximum and sell everything at minimum. I won't take a step to get something for myself, hell, most of the time while I'm standing at GE I will buy an item instead of checking if I already have it. If I'm standing at GE and need to go to varrok battlestaff store I will always teleport to GE (using bought runes) to save myself one minimap of walking.

I rather spend my time doing what I need to do instead of getting distracted by silly diversions.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

I get all of my Herblore and Fletching supplies myself, I make most of the runes I use for Magic but I do not mine the essence. MTK gives me all the maples I would ever need for firemaking and some Fletching. Most crafting supplies I get myself(Battlestaffs usually). I like not having to use the G.E too often and collecting supplies keeps my gp pile in tact :P

[hide=]

(puts on anti shield)

[/hide]

LOL? look me up? I think I am doing pretty well in the highscores without at all being selfsufficient. Being effiecint and using player trade/ GE is a factor helping you increase your xp and gold per hour.. In fact I am very poor for my level, (80m) all up. So it shows you that whilst I have a low networth, I have made alot of experience from being efficient and trading etc. (over 280million)

I never said oyu were 4, but anyone that has studied basic highschool economics (im a universtiy student) will understand the principle of comparative advantage. To be honest, you do not understand this principle and you are just an average runescape player that has not yet come to a soft of "enlightement" of sorts where you realise the true relationship of time. methods.and money in the game.

I love woodcutting too, I enjoyed cutting willows and I love fishing too, but I would rather get the fastest xp per hour possible., then after do something more monetarily rewarding... eg. If you play for 2 hours. better to fish at barbarian whirpool for 1 hour than rc for 1 hour, than fish sharks for 2 hours.

Its really basic what im saying. players that are self sufficient are waisting their time when they could be doing better things.

Sorry if i am comming across as rude, but if you follow this prinicple you will:

How arrogant can you get? as unk0wnwarrior pointed out, it is a game and therefore we play to have fun. If someone thinks that gathering their own materials and playing at a slower pace is fun, then it is for them. It isn't stupid, and it isn't a waste of time. Hell, I could say that you are wasting your time training Slayer past 90 because it offers no more benefits after that, but I don't because everyone players differently. You are entitled to your own opinion, of course, but it is completely ignorant to say that self sufficiency is "wrong" and anyone who thinks otherwise is four years old.

[hide=]

(puts on anti shield)

[/hide]

How arrogant can you get? as unk0wnwarrior pointed out, it is a game and therefore we play to have fun. If someone thinks that gathering their own materials and playing at a slower pace is fun, then it is for them. It isn't stupid, and it isn't a waste of time. Hell, I could say that you are wasting your time training Slayer past 90 because it offers no more benefits after that, but I don't because everyone players differently. You are entitled to your own opinion, of course, but it is completely ignorant to say that self sufficiency is "wrong" and anyone who thinks otherwise is four years old.

and i said i play for fun to and i have fun not bein self suffiecint. from an economic view, it actualy is wrong to be selfsufficient.. grah

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

I used to be... I loved mining my own ore and smelt it and then make it into an armour or weapon but then came the G.E... ever since I've just bought everything from other players or atleast bought raw materials from other players.

Sephy.png

If I'm standing at GE and need to go to varrok battlestaff store I will always teleport to GE (using bought runes) to save myself one minimap of walking.

Heh, I do that too :lol:

2dvjurb.png

It would be a lie to say I don't use the GE for almost everything.

The only exceptions are:

It isn't being sold on the GE

I have the materials within 1 minimap square from where I am ;)

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I've really never understood this post, how is killing monsters making money and buying tedious items no being self sufficient?

I mean I'm self sufficient, I do buy the odd thing, but not always.. even if I did buy all my items I am still sufficient because I managed to collect the money for it, I am not gaining from doing nothing.

& is that one of those "America" spellings or did the poster just miss out an "i" in sufficient?