Game-engine Improvements by Andrew 11-Jun-2009

Carl

they call taking away this new powercutting/ mining etc an improvement? the first update i like in this lousy 6 months and they take it away

If you can still perform actions while walking, you can still drop without delay. It's just hard and you need more attention.

You could always drop while walking, nothing new.

[404] Signature not found.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why they have remove the continuation of fighting after eating. Seems a bit silly to me that you stopped anyway even if there was a delay.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Eh, the monster AI being cut off was a fluke, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.

The more we try to bring understanding with each other, I think the more we could get out of this whole sack of madness.

8f14270694.jpg

I think the potential banning may be related to the bug where some monsters weren't attacking you back, and people were taking an advantage of that. Which is simply bug abuse, as it's not intended for the game, and isn't right. So many many folks were worried about their account status.

Which sucks now because many players (including some TIF'ers)

just mooched off Mithril/Black Dragons and Corp Beast without dieing/taking damage for high items. SHAME STICK!!!!

Popoto.~<3

At this point, I'm beginning to think that they've just stopped caring about this stuff happening whenever a glitch goes off.

The fixed it all within the hour, what else do you want?

I hope they bring back uninterrupted potting back though, I hate having to time everything while in combat.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

I meant banwise. Concerning the monster AI thing.

But as always, it was largely impractical anyway....

Still, they have to maintain some image of having control over their own creation. Having to let players run free whenever something bad happens can't be helping.

8f14270694.jpg

I would liked hear a better explanation from jagex about how it effected such a vast amount of content so oddly. Everything he said was obvious.. but how it effected item lending, pohs, enemy behaviour, familers and banks similtaneously is a huge mistake to make on a patch be it even a quick patch.

You would think that it would brake certain aspects of the game rather than keep working. Like disconnecting you if you tried to get into your poh as apparently the programming was messed up through route finding or action systems.. Although you could say other certain parts of the game did stop working correctly (alot of them) I like how pohs continued to construct themselves through what must of been an error - aswell as other things.

They get the end result now but there must be so many errors/bugs still in there even after they fixed it. (By us testing.) How the game continues to work in a way that seems normal is kinda funny.

No Bans? I am a bit surprised they couldnt find a single player bug abusin the mosters over 100s of worlds. But at least its better than people gettin banned for jagex screwing up the code.

Hopefully it will be some time before we get more game breaking bugs.

Overall well handled by jagex.

I would liked hear a better explanation from jagex about how it effected such a vast amount of content so oddly. Everything he said was obvious.. but how it effected item lending, pohs, enemy behaviour, familers and banks collectively is a huge mistake to make on a patch be it even a quick patch.
None of us really know how the engine works and how a small change can affect something unrelated. Take the analogy of a car. Mr Bloggs is sat in his car and his headlights are dazzling Mrs Globbs stood on the pavement/sidewalk. A solution to the problem could be to remove the battery from the car. This stops the lights from shining right at Mrs Globbs. However it also stops the car from starting, indicating, doing pretty much anyhting of value other than roll about. Sometimes a quick fix can do more damage than the original problem.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

So we launched our new version, and after a couple of hours of launching the new version with over 100,000 simultaneous players, the amount of play from that many players at once equates to about 20 years of testing in just 2 hours! As you can imagine 20 years of testing DID try a lot more permutations and a few things which didn't quite work the same after all were discovered.

Am I the only one who immediately thought "Naruto" when I read this?

?r=191108

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Currently will be using my Oni Tsurugi account to attempt to get 99 on all free skills without spending any gp, just for the sake of doing so.

People have been asking for the leadership of Runescape to explain what happened.

Now they did.

My curiousity was satisfied. They tried to fix the bug as quickly as possible because they thought it would inconvenience us the least. Unfortunately there were some unforeseen consequences. They could have gone back to the old code and work on it for some months behind the scenes. They thought this would be better. Aren't we all human? And there simply was no solution that would have pleased everybody.

I'm grateful they took the time to explain the serious of events that led to all the excitement.

The circus has now left town.

Now we can stop moaning and just enjoy the game.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Alas, all good things come to an end.

I thought being able to drop while fishing was one of the best updates in the last few months, maybe even this year.

I thought it was an intended part of the update, I am a bit sad they've removed it, but I will cross my fingers hoping that they bring it back in the near future.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

People have been asking for the leadership of Runescape to explain what happened.

Now they did.

I'm grateful they took the time to explain the serious of events that led to all the excitement.

Now we can stop moaning and just enjoy the game.

Whaa! No circus? dang! and I was gonna do that tonight. :wall:

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

It's in Rimmington now,

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Still, they have to maintain some image of having control over their own creation. Having to let players run free whenever something bad happens can't be helping.

Then I guess we should be glad Jagex isn't a bank.

Jagex: Hello, sir? We recently lost a large sum of money that fell out of the back of our armored vehicle. Yea, nobody locked the door. Anyway, we noticed that you were one of the people who took the money home that you obtained off of the ground, even though you knew where it came from. What? Lawsuit? No, we have no intention on suing or calling the police. We just wanted to call to say enjoy your money. Have a wonderful day, I have to notify some people that their funds are depleted.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Well the only *major* bugs that I saw was people getting 1 hit by thieving traps, and the monster bug.

Both of those bugs were only in the game roughly 30-40 minutes before they were patched. Even with every world completely full, Sigils and GWD items are all so rare drop percentages, frankly very few if any were dropped. If any were dropped they would be about the same rate as anyone normally boss hunting would get them.

Good teams can camp hours at most bosses, so in all honesty 40 minutes wasn't enough to do anything major, thus no bans.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Tut tut, Quality Assurance not doing their job fully.

If by that you mean do a few years of testing to find every bug. :P

So we launched our new version, and after a couple of hours of launching the new version with over 100,000 simultaneous players, the amount of play from that many players at once equates to about 20 years of testing in just 2 hours! As you can imagine 20 years of testing DID try a lot more permutations and a few things which didn't quite work the same after all were discovered.

But seriously, how can you miss not being able to bank :P

2dvjurb.png

But seriously, how can you miss not being able to bank :P

You miss it if it's bug being introduced with a quickfix to quickly fix another bug, because when you've got players going mental because they can't run and eat at once, the devs want to do the bugfix quickly with minimal testing.

(So as a tester you probably only have time to check if running and eating still work, and not unrelated things like banking)

well i guess it's back to slayer until at least the drop thing is re-introduced. i must say i was having fun getting 90k fletch xp while also getting the best fishing xp. i was really looking forward to pounding out 99 fletch while getting to ~95 fishing at the same time.

but now i'm stuck with 85k unfinished broad bolts...this sucks.

Y_Z.png

well i guess it's back to slayer until at least the drop thing is re-introduced. i must say i was having fun getting 90k fletch xp while also getting the best fishing xp. i was really looking forward to pounding out 99 fletch while getting to ~95 fishing at the same time.

Question: Is it fair that things became that much more easy. I often see players complaining that Jagex are catering to noobs to much, by making the game easier and easier.

I don't mind that sort of thing happening a bit, but the ability to do two skills at once seems to be making things easier on a crazy scale.

I'm not sure they should re-introduce it.

Question: Is it fair that things became that much more easy. I often see players complaining that Jagex are catering to noobs to much, by making the game easier and easier.

I don't mind that sort of thing happening a bit, but the ability to do two skills at once seems to be making things easier on a crazy scale.

I'm not sure they should re-introduce it.

i am aware that the fletching was the unfair part, but doping itself need to come back. i just didn't think they would do, what number is this...like, 7 system updates in a week. i was almost certain that they would hold it off until next Monday or Tuesday.

Y_Z.png

I think Quality Assurance spotted Run/Eating Food when they tested, but because it's a bug mechanic at it's own, they didn't say anything

So this is the first true "emergent gameplay" case that Jagex actually are ok with it.

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)