26th June 2009 - Mobilising Armies Dev Blog

Caromon

When developing a piece of content, how long it takes to develop is generally a combination of two factors.

How big the piece of content is.

How different the content is to anything weve done previously.

This post takes a look at the trade-off we have to make between these two factors when designing a piece of content.

There are some pretty massive pros and cons of doing something very new VS doing something big and polished using techniques we have already perfected.

The advantages of doing something totally new and innovative include:

It leads to whole new features and new techniques, which can then be re-used (and further refined) in future content.

It keeps the game fresh and varied, rather than just doing more of the same.

Its essential to keeping the game cutting edge and keeping ahead of the competition.

All this means its very good for the long-term of the game.

The disadvantages of doing something new and innovative include:

Its high risk - because we havent done it before, we dont know so clearly how well it work or how long it will take.

It takes a lot more time. We have to add in whole new systems to support the new things we are doing. It is also quite likely to need repeated attempts and redesigns before getting something that works well.

It results in a smaller piece of content, because a lot of the time instead goes into trying new techniques.

Its often not quite as polished as content made using tried and tested methods, because its pioneering new systems.

It can result in unrealistic player expectations, because many players assume that long development time = huge, very polished content.

All this means its not so great for the immediate short-term.

As you can see, its a very difficult balancing act when deciding how adventurous to be when trying new ideas and new techniques! Because we expect to be running RuneScape for years to come, we tend to take a more long-term approach with content design, which means we try quite a lot of new and innovative content.

Sometimes we come up with something so useful its hard to imagine how we ever did without it. I still fondly remember the first quest we did that permanently changed the appearance of the world to the player, rather than everything just resetting back again a few minutes later. At the time, it was massively difficult to do, because we had to rethink the way we did a lot of things. These days its completely standard, is used everywhere, and its hard to imagine doing without it!

Mobilising Armies is a great example of something quite experimental, which is very different to anything weve done before. Im sure youve noticed how that has impacted on its development time. As you know, Mobilising Armies has been in development for many months, and has been quite delayed. This ISNT because its the most epic, mammoth, huge, polished piece of content youve ever seen, but rather because weve really tried to do something very new and different.

Just some of the new things weve tried for the first time in Mobilising Armies are:

It has a totally different camera view and controls to previous content.

It adds the ability to select and control multiple units at once, rather than just moving a single avatar around the map.

To cope with the fact that there are more things going on at once than usual, and so there is a lot more information to convey simultaneously than we are used to, we developed a variety of new information display features. These include NPC stack icons, timer bars and dynamic mouse cursors.

It has a very different graphical scale to content we have designed previously. Everything is much more zoomed out.

So, when playing Mobilising Armies, as well as enjoying the game itself, take a look at all the things it does that youve never seen done in RuneScape before. This is just the very first pioneering attempt at a whole load of new features added to the engine. Over time, the best of those new features will be refined and used elsewhere, which, when you start imagining the possibilities, is quite exciting.

Mobilising Armies should be with you in the next few weeks. Thank you for reading and we hope to see you on the battlefield!

The last two sentences excite me!

Admiral_Caro.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to this update.

I like that it is actual size and just zoomed out, I thought it was just going to be smaller characters and maps. :shock:

Hopefully it will be out next month :thumbsup:

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

YES! FINALLY! THE WAIT IS ALMOST OVER!

Hehe, I'm a big strategy gamer, so I was... mad when it was delayed.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

Glad to see that the project hasnt been cancelled, but I think this blog is more a "cover-your-[wagon]-from-criticism" page rather than an actual blog. Basically theyre saying not to expect the best and to appreciate other aspects of the new minigame other than the content itself because they are trying new techniques. Interesting tactic, I wonder if it will prevent people from criticizing the game at all.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

The next few weeks? Wow, I thought they said end of '09.

This is going to be really interesting, they've been building this up ALOT.

They haven't been building it up, players have. Did you actually read the Blog?

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Glad to see that the project hasnt been cancelled, but I think this blog is more a "cover-your-[wagon]-from-criticism" page rather than an actual blog. Basically theyre saying not to expect the best and to appreciate other aspects of the new minigame other than the content itself because they are trying new techniques. Interesting tactic, I wonder if it will prevent people from criticizing the game at all.

I noticed that too, but i appreciate that they aren't perfect already, hopefully some other people will take it onboard though.

It does sound quite interesting, still can't make many assumptions about the game though.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Seems like they are trying to reduce player expectation ::'

The new controls and view seems interesting, maybe something like Command & Conquer.

Pic:

mobcastle.jpg

IT'S COMING!!!

:o :o :o :o

SAILING!

OT: At least they've given us an inside on the delay and Im realy looking foward to this. Please have some nice rewards/armor. <3:

Popoto.~<3

The new controls and view seems interesting, maybe something like Command & Conquer.

Pic:

mobcastle.jpg

I'm trying to see wether those guy's on the turrets are infernal mages or gnomeish mages.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Yeah, I've been thinking it was going to be like Command and Conquer/Age of Empires those kinds of games, glad to know it looks more and more like it now.

I'm very interested for the rewards and if your own skills will play any role in the game. Or if certain quests will allow you to use new characters - such as completing Mourning Ends Part I (this was the first quest where you really partner up with the Elves for a big quest) allows you to control Elves. Or completing Haunted Mine allows you to inflict more damage against Undead monsters.

*shrugs* I dunno, I know the above imagination is what is gonna make this game be a failure in many people's eyes but I do expect skill/quest influence on this minigame...if even a little for them to test for future content.

Pic:

mobcastle.jpg

I'm trying to see wether those guy's on the turrets are infernal mages or gnomeish mages.

Infernal definitely, very few gnomeish mages but they are dedicated to guthix (go to the mage arena)

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Looks good but i gotta say i haven't cared for this minigame at all. Hope it's not something i am forced to do because of the rewards but something i myself do willingly.

I agree, I think this has gotten way too much hype, but maybe that's because I don't like strategy games much :|

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

GYEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

IT'S COMING IT'S COMING I HOPE IT DOESN'T HAVE TOO MANY BUGS!

... Wait. Crap. Murphy's Law says it will.

-.- I'm still going to play it the day it comes out, though. And if it's fscked up... well, I'll try again a week later.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

The name "Mobilising Armies". Basically when players war (Clan wars) in PvP worlds they can choose a destination with obstancles.

From there a clan can have:

- 10 Archers with Crystal Bow (Great Speed+Attack Ranged)

- 5 Warriors (Head to close combat)

- 5 Magicians (Back up the Warriors)

That's a small army right there.

So i don't see how MA (Mobilising Armies) will be much different to this kind of thing.

The name "Mobilising Armies". Basically when players war (Clan wars) in PvP worlds they can choose a destination with obstancles.

From there a clan can have:

- 10 Archers with Crystal Bow (Great Speed+Attack Ranged)

- 5 Warriors (Head to close combat)

- 5 Magicians (Back up the Warriors)

That's a small army right there.

So i don't see how MA (Mobilising Armies) will be much different to this kind of thing.

There's different objectives. I reckon there will be variants of Siege, CTF and TDM. Probably more.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.