Where do you hope you're going to University?

Gin_and_Tonic

Studying at University of Auckland, Faculty of Engineering atm and loving it. It'll be specially next year since they are putting a campus wide ban on smoking, which is pretty good for me since i don't smoke and I hate having to hold my breath while travelling between classes.

Hunter

rawr7zv.gif

Thanks to Goldwolflord, megadedhed, willmcdermot, Biabf, jak722, born2die, Mediumwell, xxxShade, Random, speedofsound, edtheripper, and Alduron for the awesome sig

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to agree with the people here, Washington does own :P I love living here. I'd hope to either go to MIT or UW, mainly because UW is one of three universities that you can get a degree in Astrobiology. MIT because I've always wanted to go to a good school and I'd go for a degree in some sort of Engineering, or something that will help me design some sort of Space Propulsion.

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

Just shootin' for the stars like you, Reb.

Quick question: what high school did you go to/what city are you from? Like fifty guys from my high school went to OSU, they're going to be sophmores this year. The schools gigantic, but hey, they'res a chance you might know a St. X guy.

Oh, and if you answer those questions PM it. I don't need the mods banhammering me again for a personal information request >_>.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

In the UK, most university applicants do not know where they will be heading to university until A-Level results day, which is August 20th I believe, so I am not too sure where I will be heading to in September/October.

The 5 Universities I applied to and the courses and offers were:

University of Oxford - Physics BA (3 years) AAA

University of Durham - Physics BSc (3 years) AAA

Warwick University - Physics and Business Studies BSc(3 years) AAB, with A's in maths and physics

University of Bristol - Physics MSc (4 years) AAB, with A's in maths and physics

University of Nottingham - Physics BSc (3 years) AAB

I chose Oxford as my firm choice, so if I meet the requirements, then that is where I will go. (I am extremely nervous about results day, as I would dread to get the offer from there, but then fail to make it :wall: !)

Warwick is my insurance choice, but I am still restricted to what I can get.

Good luck to everyone who also hopes to go somewhere, but will not find out until the big day

I really messed up my university choices (and high school grades) first time around, to the extent that I ended up doing almost two years in a course that wasn't right for me at a university that I didn't like. The result is that I need to go back and redo a bunch of high school level classes as well as some other mundane courses to get into Edinburgh University to study English Literature. There's a load of additional bureaucracy because I'm now considered a 'mature student' (21+).

It's frustrating because I'm confident I'd absolutely destroy the course, as I've covered almost the entire reading list for the 4 years in my spare time, but I'm being beaten for places by 17 and 18 year olds wandering straight out of high school. It's my fault of course, but how are you supposed to decide how you're going to spend your life at 16 years old? C'est la vie.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I chose Oxford as my firm choice, so if I meet the requirements, then that is where I will go. (I am extremely nervous about results day, as I would dread to get the offer from there, but then fail to make it :wall: !)

Do you own any English counties, have a father in the House of Lords or are you Royalty? If not you better be Stephen Hawking to get into Oxford :P Seriously though, they claim to be all equal opportunities but its crap, at my old high school we've had people with perfect grades apply to Oxford and Cambridge and not even get an interview.

Personally, I've just graduated uni this month after finishing a 4 year Honours degree at Napier University.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I really messed up my university choices (and high school grades) first time around, to the extent that I ended up doing almost two years in a course that wasn't right for me at a university that I didn't like. The result is that I need to go back and redo a bunch of high school level classes as well as some other mundane courses to get into Edinburgh University to study English Literature. There's a load of additional bureaucracy because I'm now considered a 'mature student' (21+).

I'm just glad that my parents understood when I wanted to drop out of the first college I went to. It was up in south dakota, and I sort of felt like I had to go there because we go in state tuition. Was pretty [bleep]ing terrible and I hated it.

Everything is so much better at college though when you're at one you enjoy. I did end up taking almost a year off though, but I was still only 19 when I joined in as a freshman.

Heh, I doubt anyone here is planning on going to college around Kansas, are they? I go to pittstate university here. :D

Well I've just finished AS so I've got A2 before I actually go to University but I've had to put a lot of thought into this.

1. University of Salford studying Internet Computer Science. I like the course for this one, but it's not really a brilliant University, and it's rather close to me (which I still haven't decided is an advantage or a disadvantage yet).

2. Manchester Uni studying Computer Science. I've always thought of going to Manchester. It's a good university AND it's really close to me. But I've recently found you need to do A2 Maths to get on to their CS courses, something I found a problem with a lot of Unis :S

3. University of Sheffield studying Computer Science. I like the idea of this since it's a Computer Science course at a decent Uni. Also it's too far away from home for me to have to stay at home which means I'll have to move out and maybe gain some independence. I'm a little scared of having to rely on myself though so I don't know yet.

4. University of Bolton studying Computer Science. The only reason I'm applying here is as a backup, there's no chance I won't get into this place. It's my local town Uni and it's kind of crap. So if all else fails I'll have to come here.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I got A2 to go so I should have thought of some universities... but I haven't.

I'm looking at Birmingham, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Leicester and Huddersfield.

Just need to check out their courses now...

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Well I've just finished AS so I've got A2 before I actually go to University but I've had to put a lot of thought into this.

1. University of Salford studying Internet Computer Science. I like the course for this one, but it's not really a brilliant University, and it's rather close to me (which I still haven't decided is an advantage or a disadvantage yet).

2. Manchester Uni studying Computer Science. I've always thought of going to Manchester. It's a good university AND it's really close to me. But I've recently found you need to do A2 Maths to get on to their CS courses, something I found a problem with a lot of Unis :S

3. University of Sheffield studying Computer Science. I like the idea of this since it's a Computer Science course at a decent Uni. Also it's too far away from home for me to have to stay at home which means I'll have to move out and maybe gain some independence. I'm a little scared of having to rely on myself though so I don't know yet.

4. University of Bolton studying Computer Science. The only reason I'm applying here is as a backup, there's no chance I won't get into this place. It's my local town Uni and it's kind of crap. So if all else fails I'll have to come here.

Yeah a lot of CS courses will ask for A2 maths. I hate maths.

Also, Bolton has a university? :P

I'm shooting for RNCM. Just need to get my grade 8 trombone, really.

Gonna be doing a performance degree.

Secondary choice would be studying English at Oxford or Warwick. This one seems a lot more likely.

My plan is to apply to all top Universities in Montreal in biochemistry/biology and go to the one that offers me the most money. Yes, they will pay me to study at their university (I'm not kidding).

hiccup.png

Cambridge University to study Natural Sciences (glorified physics degree with other sciences thrown in to keep your options open), if I get the grades. Need AAAA in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. Got the maths already, I'll find out the rest on 20th August. Durham is my insurance for maths and physics. Fingers crossed I should be okay, but goddamn that FP2 paper was a [bleep].

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

It's my fault of course, but how are you supposed to decide how you're going to spend your life at 16 years old? C'est la vie.
Yeah, something similar happened to me. I messed up my life hugely a couple of years ago and I'm really paying for it now. I could have overcame the problems I had, but I made the mistake of giving into them and everything went to hell shortly after. I was only 14 at the time but I was trying to plan stuff way further ahead than what I was actually capable of.

I still have time to turn around, but it's going to be difficult. As I said above (pipedream aside), I would really like to get into Oxford or Warwick; but my opinion may change in the coming years. I have another year at school and I refuse to [bleep] it up this time.

Yeah a lot of CS courses will ask for A2 maths. I hate maths.

Also, Bolton has a university? :P

I'm shooting for RNCM. Just need to get my grade 8 trombone, really.

Gonna be doing a performance degree.

Secondary choice would be studying English at Oxford or Warwick. This one seems a lot more likely.

Yeah, it's not really that good though :lol:

It's my fault of course, but how are you supposed to decide how you're going to spend your life at 16 years old? C'est la vie.
Yeah, something similar happened to me. I messed up my life hugely a couple of years ago and I'm really paying for it now. I could have overcame the problems I had, but I made the mistake of giving into them and everything went to hell shortly after. I was only 14 at the time but I was trying to plan stuff way further ahead than what I was actually capable of.

I still have time to turn around, but it's going to be difficult. As I said above (pipedream aside), I would really like to get into Oxford or Warwick; but my opinion may change in the coming years. I have another year at school and I refuse to [bleep] it up this time.

I convinced my friend to apply for Oxford, she's predicted all A's, does voluntary work, works in the local library and does all those things that Universities will drool over.

I'm gonna be stuck with 'does internet stuff' on my personal statement :P

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Just shootin' for the stars like you, Reb.

Quick question: what high school did you go to/what city are you from? Like fifty guys from my high school went to OSU, they're going to be sophmores this year. The schools gigantic, but hey, they'res a chance you might know a St. X guy.

Oh, and if you answer those questions PM it. I don't need the mods banhammering me again for a personal information request >_>.

I figure I can answer here because 1) I'm not from Ohio, 2) I am not currently in high school.

St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, MN.

Studying Social Studies Education.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm gonna be stuck with 'does internet stuff' on my personal statement :P

That's why when you write it, you stick that in the last 1/3rd with barely anthing abou it. My PS was mainly talking about my in-school stuff.

I feel so rubbish now compared to the other people here on TIF being A grade students ::'

I made the big mistake of being a total waster during my A-levels, i can't even remember what grades i got in the end. As i wasn't planning on going to uni straight after my A-levels, i wasn't really bothering with m grades. But after half a year out of school, i backtracked and applied to various uni's. My main choices were Lincoln or Nottingham Trent, I got declined from Lincoln but accepted to Nottingham Trent. As i did my A-levels last year, they were able to accept me early during the year.

I'm eagerly awaiting September, as my Uni course doesn't start untill October, I'm fully booked during September going to other people's freshers week's at their uni's. I can easily see myself totally screwing up the first year at Uni, but hopefully i can pick up during the second two years :lol:

Studying History, hopefully ending up teaching it at Secondary schools. Love the subject, and Nottingham trent has some very good History tutors, and some great things to study.

But i would be lieing if i said i wasn't planning on getting totally wrecked most days of the week (depending on my cashflow).

I just can't wait though, i'm hoping it will finally mature me, because i may be classed as an adult legally, but atm i'm still 16 inside ::'

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

University is really much easier than most people imagine, at least in first year (years 1 and 2 for most people I've spoken to). There's plenty of time to party and all that. I used to stay up till about 4 or 5 every morning, wake up for 9am lectures and then go back to sleep when they were done. I think at my 'peak' I was drinking about 10 bottles of wine a week. It's a really fantastic atmosphere.

Provided you buckle down when you're required to then you'll have no problems.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I've just done my AS Levels. I was hoping to study anatomy at Bristol or biomedical science with a sandwich year in a hospital at Aston. Except now it's starting to dawn on me that I don't want to poke around at organs and examine people's phlegm for the rest of my life. No idea what to do with myself really. FML.

Plus I think it'd be the ultimate hypocrisy doing a course about how magnificent the body is by day and ruining it by night.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

University is really much easier than most people imagine, at least in first year (years 1 and 2 for most people I've spoken to). There's plenty of time to party and all that. I used to stay up till about 4 or 5 every morning, wake up for 9am lectures and then go back to sleep when they were done. I think at my 'peak' I was drinking about 10 bottles of wine a week. It's a really fantastic atmosphere.

Provided you buckle down when you're required to then you'll have no problems.

Yeah, first and second years are simple, you can coast through them with a minimal effort. For me things picked up a bit in third year in terms of workload and difficulty. Fourth year was hell, too much work. I didn't organise my time well so over the last month or so I barely slept because I had to grind out a lot of work in little time. Even if I had organised myself better, I would have still had a big job to get everything done. I was really lucky I didn't need to work during my fourth year or I'd have had no chance.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)