[Special Edition] Tip.It Times: 16 Aug 2009 - Quests!

n_odie

Welcome to the Tip.It Times first Special Edition!

This new feature will be done one or two times a year, covering a well known topic of RuneScape. All the authors are invited to write an article about the topic and then release them all on the same day, thus giving the readers a broad spectrum of viewpoints and facts. We hope you enjoy the read as we cover the first theme: Quests!

>>>Tip.It Times Special Edition!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy!

~The Editorial Panel~

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Re: Tying Up Loose Ends

Many of the quest series are unfortunately still incomplete. Despite the mysterious door beyond the mind chamber, it's been nearly three years since a new section of the Elemental Workshop was opened up. The Fairy Godmother has been preparing to take back Zanaris for well over three years now. And if Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf would be released tomorrow, it'd still be the first chapter of the Rise of the Red Axe series released in over four years.

A lot of this may be caused by Jagex's developers moving to different jobs. Elemental Workshop I & II are credited to Dylan C, who hasn't released anything in a couple of years. Fairy Tale I & II are credited to Greg V, who was rumoured to have left in late 2007. The Red Axe thing is being written by a guy who apparently didn't write the other two quests in that series, since he had to start by learning how they went. Ongoing quests have tended to come from the same developer (such as John A doing the whole Dorgeshuun storyline, or Dylan C doing the elf quests, or Tytn H doing everything Myreque).

It's quite nice that we get the continuously personal touch of a developer who's apparently creating whatever they want to put in RuneScape for their own enjoyment. The downside is that it falls apart when the developer's job changes to something else. But Jagex is clearly willing to resurrect an old storyline with a new developer, like this dwarf thing. So that's okay.

Re: The Big Adventure

The quest that tops my list is My Arms Big Adventure. The rewards, while useful, are not stellar by any means. The quest wasnt too difficult. There is no earth-shattering revelation about the gods of Gielinor. Then why do I like this quest so much? Because it was fun and unpredictable.

That does surprise me, but I get the idea. The quest isn't leading to anything, isn't going anywhere, it's just an - extremely - amusing thing to pass the afternoon. And the extra herb patch is handy too, as is the (bizarre) ability to get camel dung for recharging camulets without going to the kebab shop in Pollnivneach. Of course, a lot of people want something far more concrete as a reward for their time and effort. Fair enoughski.

well 4 articles on same subject, good but...i fell like i got read 2-3 times the same article in a diffrent version >.<

conclusion to all: yes do the quests for fun and not for reward, even that players mostly aiming at quests for reward to be time useful quest. and jagex doing a lot of storylines that like series or like non-series, tie up few series together and sometimes the quest developer may need to change, and it's bringing new touch to the quest.

here you go if you don't wanna read the whole 4 articles :P

DYK: i may have got it wrong, but it means that if we have 287qp, we can gain max of 287 tears in 1 time?

want_a_box.png

DYK: i may have got it wrong, but it means that if we have 287qp, we can gain max of 287 tears in 1 time?

Theoretically; yes... But it is simply impossible to collect that many, as you would need to start collecting the second you can, and continue ALL THE WAY THROUGH to keep on collecting (moving to another stream would cause you to "miss" some tears) right till the end...

PS; the link to "discuss this topic" on the times page leads to the main runescape site... This needs editting ;)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

RE: Tying up loose ends.

The creator of the Elf-storyline left Jagex which is why the quests have been untouched for so long. After MEPII, which was an epic quest they decided to not touch on anything as they weren't sure on the direction, and the fact that a quest to better and be harder than MEPII would take ages to create.

Thankfully we know that MEPIII is in the 'Blue Box' of development, I don't think we'll see it until the next year as hopefully it's going to be a long Master/Grandmaster quest.

asrhasrh.jpg

While reading the articles I thought to myself, "There seems to be a theme here." I guess I was right! :roll:

On another note, "The Big Adventure" is one of the best written Tip.it Times articles I've read. It irks me when a author says something once in a article and then goes on to repeat it again unnecessarily; Jp7725 did an excellent job at writing an article that flows together nicely. :thumbup:

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.

One of the best times i've had the pleasure to read, specially the loose ends article.

Looks like Big J is going to add new chapters to old storylines (seriously, right now i'm loving jagex, for making a Mourning Ends 3 anouncement in the CE letter, as well as fairy tale 3, soul wars anouncement and elemental workshop, but OMG ELVEN QUEST^!!!!!!!!!@@@@@)

hi, all!

great stories this week, loved how they showed 2 or three different sides of an argument. the articles were very in depth, and not a whole lot of grammar mistakes. of course, ts_stormage always writes great articles.

join star rebels, the 3rd largest star hunting clan in the game, and the friendliest community anywhere!

Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.

Lite191: =] lol

Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.

lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.

Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p

lite191: yes but it melted=[

Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?

lite191 :no.

lite191: Still freaking awesome.me

Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!

lite191: agreed.

Quests! <3:

The new special edition idea is really cool, it's nice to see the viewpoints of many writers rather than just one person's opinions.

On that note I really enjoyed all of the articles but can't pinpoint one that is my favourite; they each brought up very good points that I agree with. I really liked "Tying Up Loose Ends" because a lot of the quests were released before I was a member and now I know some of the important release dates and how long it has been since the last quest in each storyline was released. It makes me even more anxious for the next elf, fairy, and dwarf quest.

Mirrorforced also makes some excellent points in "The Underlying Reward" about some of the quest rewards that get overlooked and how many of the things we use everyday in the game are all because of the quests we do. Makes me appreciate quests even more than I do now.

I'd also like to give a thumbs up for the "Did You Know". I've always wondered how that was calculated and I found out today! :)

Excellent articles this week. It put what I was thinking in my subconscious for a long time out into words and make me admit it.

And I didn't know it was exactly a tear a second. I suppose that makes it useful, although I stopped doing tears ages ago when it wasn't worth the effort to get the tiny xp.

Anubis_451.png

thank you Ts_Stormrage for ruining the plot twist in hunt for red raktuber. i was goinging to do both the slug and penguin quests and you ruined one of the big suprises.

all the other articles were really good though.

i felt that i agreed with all of the authors on there points.

quests aren't about rewards, there about fun and storylines *glares menacingly at Ts_Stormrage*.

my favourite quest is inclethians little helper (spelling is wrong, i know) because of its unique and fun story.

now excuse me, i need to hire ninjas to kill Ts_Stormrage then wipe my memory of his article.

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

╬╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╬

╬╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╦╩╬

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Insert Head Here

the articles were a good read but i find quests more of a nuisance than enjoyable

which is exactly why so many people complain about the reward.

Most people look on quests exactly like that, and only do them when they need the reward - rfd or desert treasure being the main examples.

I happen to enjoy quests, so it puzzled me when I saw all the people voting for 'rewards' in that poll, but reading these articles showed a different viewpoint.

Maybe they're not all just greedy nubs =P

the articles were a good read but i find quests more of a nuisance than enjoyable

which is exactly why so many people complain about the reward.

Most people look on quests exactly like that, and only do them when they need the reward - rfd or desert treasure being the main examples.

I happen to enjoy quests, so it puzzled me when I saw all the people voting for 'rewards' in that poll, but reading these articles showed a different viewpoint.

Maybe they're not all just greedy nubs =P

theres nothing wrong with doing quests just for rewards. its when people feel that theyre entitled to great rewards because of their we pay attitude. i doubt the majority of people who voted for rewards are greedy nubs

Edit: and btw i hope youre not assuming that im a glutton for quest rewards..

Disregard females.

Acquire currency.

QUESTS! <3:

First article made me realize that my main reason for sticking around even when this game gets stupidly boring is because of the quests.

Second through fourth were kinda m'eh, but admittedly it's too hot to think properly so my brain was too busy to pay attention properly.

... this also started a small RSOF binge. Good? Bad? I did add to the semi-intelligent post count of the RSOF, which I think is good... also the non-hater posts.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

Hello everybody!

This is my very first post on the forums here, and I hope many more will come in the future.

I just wanted to say that I sincerely enjoyed reading "The Big Adventure". I feel that it perfectly articulated how I felt about doing quests in the game. Although some of them can be extremely frustrating, I love how they take us on a fantastical journey.

I give the article two thumbs up! :thumbsup:

On a side note, the article made me think about which quest was my favorite. Although I have not completed all of the quests in Runescape yet, I feel that my favorite quest so far is Cold War.

Those darn penguins! XD

Quests. Oh, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

I'm a level 84 with 202 quest points.

When I level up, I do so in increments of quest requirements.

Well, that's about it. I love quests, and therefore I love these articles.

Interestingly, though it may not have been the best written article, I most enjoyed the fourth one. When I finished the dorgeshuun quest series, and defeated the Bandos avatar using Zanik's crossbow, I felt a bit of sadness alongside my joy of completing a quest, which I recognized only as the feeling I get knowing a great story has ended.

That's why I like quests, as opposed to repetitive grinding or greedy moneymaking. There's a real storyline and, to an extent, emotional interest. On my first, now defunct, account, I'd only played plague city and biohazard, and they were the first quests I played on my current account, because they were the primary quests I remembered. Quest series' really bring a depth and interest to the game that make runescape a much greater experience to play, and that's what reached me most about any of the articles this week.

[woot]

A good read (when isn't it? ;) )

I can agree with the writer of the frist one, My Arm's was great, Rocking Out coming in second for funniness...? Anyway, my favourite quest is easily Darkness OF Hallowvale, 'twas awesome fun sneaking my way through the building, and was even better without a guide to show me the way. Many people have replied to this saying stuff like 'Oh my god you freak, I hated that quest' But I loved it. :D

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Looks like Stormrage has read Magma25's thread: http://[Please Use QuickFind Code].com/c=i5VIpaQ-5q8/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?15,16,28,59235851,goto,1

Overall, great articles and excellent idea, keep it up =)

A new study shows that 98% of teenagers listen to emo music. The other 2% have stayed straight gangster. If your apparantly the 0% who still listens to rock, put this in your signature.

In regards to this:

At the moment there are dozens of areas and storylines that are simply unfinished, with no new updates on the horizon.

I have trouble thinking of quest lines that don't have new updates on the horizon. New installments of Elemental Workshop, Plague City, Red Axe, Myreque, Mahjarrat, Fremennik, and Fairy Tale are all known to be in development. And all the new quests this year (except In Pyre Need, which was a holdout from last year, and is more of a D&D than a quest anyway) have contributed to existing storylines, even if only tying up a few little loose ends like curing King Vargas's curse or finding out what's in the mumbling bonesack. So I think Jagex is going in the right direction.

thank you Ts_Stormrage for ruining the plot twist in hunt for red raktuber. i was goinging to do both the slug and penguin quests and you ruined one of the big suprises.

all the other articles were really good though.

i felt that i agreed with all of the authors on there points.

quests aren't about rewards, there about fun and storylines *glares menacingly at Ts_Stormrage*.

my favourite quest is inclethians little helper (spelling is wrong, i know) because of its unique and fun story.

now excuse me, i need to hire ninjas to kill Ts_Stormrage then wipe my memory of his article.

All of them where good, but the first article was great!

@TS_Stromrage: If you read this, try next time to warn us about MASSIVE spoilers :o .

Thank you.

Ok, if you guys didnt want to get spoilered, why did you open the Times then? It said just about everywhere that this was a special edition about Quests, and you guys didnt expect it to have any spoilers at all? I'm sorry but thats like looking in the mirror and expecting someone else (someone smarter perhaps?)...

And yes, sedsarq, I did get pointed to that thread, but I had already reached the Oz conclusion before that... Someone just pointed out to me that I wasnt the first... I was all "Ha i know something you dont" and then I was kind of bummed out :P

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Good articles once again! :thumbsup:

The first article was especially good IMO.

But I have one suggestion: Next time, don't choose "special edition topics" that writers don't have much differences to write about. I think wider topics like RWT and stuff would be better, because it wouldn't cause the writers to write the same thing in desperation because they have nothing different to write about.