Poll: Hide and Show Feature

Cowman_133

NOTE I realize this poll is not very exciting, but this is something the crew would like to know to better suit the needs of our users. We will continue with some more exciting polls next week, especially if people suggest really good ones. :)

This week's poll asks:

Do you like the use of the Hide/Show feature (such as on our Quest Guides or Miniguides appearing in Quests) throughout the site?

•  
    [*:jh68s2e7] Yes

[*:jh68s2e7] No

[*:jh68s2e7] I am neutral

>>> Vote Now! <> View the Results <<<

Still see the old poll? Press [CTRL+F5] or [Apple+R] to force a full reload of the page.

Remember, you can also submit your ideas for future polls here.

~The Cow

1.png
generic_signature.png

Voted for yes, although I didn't know did you mean f.e. hiding done Quests or hiding the Quest Walkthrough in the guide.

Doesn't matter though, I like both of them. :D

(offtopic: first time I get the first post! woo! ^^)

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Yes I mean the walkthroughs and miniguides appearing in some quest guides being hidden, but we do use these features in some other guides.

Basically, do you like being able to open and close large paragraphs of text that may or may not be of interest to you?

1.png
generic_signature.png

I went for no, but its not really an outright no:

In bits such as the quest guide it annoys me, as I am quite blatantly going to the page to read the guide, and even if you're one of those "oh I jsut use a guide to find out the items" kids the first line or two being visible isn't going to do any great harm as all it ever says is to start this quest go speak to...

But on the other hand I think they are nicely used in hiding the mini-quest guide at the end of a quest guide and hiding larger tables etc in skill guides.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

definitely "no" for me...

i use the homepage for fast access to information (while gaming) no matter if i already did a quest or miniquest...

so hiding any information is not necessary...

i simply search the site (strg+f), so if anything is not hidden i would not find it... ;)

isibis.png

I do not use the guides too much, sometimes when i need help with a quest i look up some of the guides, but its a nice feature. I wouldnt freak out if it wasnt there tough :P

kirderf123.png

99 Woodcutting 09/12/08 - 99 Cooking 13/01/09 - 99 Fletching 20/04/09 - 2,713th to 99 Construction 14/09/09

[hide=Quote]

New summon monster. You get 99 summon and complete a hard quest to gain the ability to summon Jesus, who splits the waters allowing you to walk to a new port town where you unlock the sailing skill. Obviously ;)

That was Moses you idiot.

That gets fixed in the bugfix the following week. Maybe.

[/hide]

No I think it's annoying and unnecessary.

I understand the idea is to prevent giving spoilers, but if you're opening the quest guide in the list place, aren't you ASKING for spoilers? The whole point of looking at a guide is so you don't need to figure it out yourself, so if you are prepared to do that anyway, why bother hiding?

There are exceptions. For any of the miniquests/sidequests unlocked after the quest is done, THOSE should be hidden. The rewards should also be kept hidden.

Saves a lot of time and effort.

I love them.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I voted no. I think people are too chicken when it comes to spoilers. If a story or whatever it is is good, it won't matter if you know what's gonna happen. You'll still be interested and still like it. Kinda how I felt about the 7th Potter book. I know what would happen, read it anyway, and loved it immensely.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I personally really like the hide/show feature. It's great for people who just want to check the rewards, items to bring, or tips & tricks when doing a quest. It also makes the page a lot cleaner to view when you first open it.

No, actually.

As much as i appreciate how many little useful tool Tip.it has such as this one, i find this one rather bothersome for one reason.

I am always doing the same quests over and over again on diff accounts :lol:

I've made 3 members accounts so far, and so many F2P accounts that i've actually lost track :P

So I'm always checking back over quest guides.

But over all, it doesn't really matter. It's only one click.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

I don't mind the feature, but from a usability perspective, it would be wiser to remove it. However, some people don't want to be spoiled :cry:. Tough decision.

To expand on the question's intent a bit better:

This wasn't really about the Hide/Show for the quest walkthroughs. That was done years ago at the request of Jagex, and I doubt that will be changed even tho I personally find it inconvenient as well.

What the question is really about, as someone said above, is hiding long bits of text that you may or may not be interested in.

For example, in the Summoning guide we have a Beginner's Walkthrough: http://tip.it/runescape/?page=summoning ... m#beginner Below the table are some wordy explanations of the table (ending with "but the shards will cost a whopping 28,125 gp.") So, we put a blue bar below the table, with a hide/show option.

Also, in the King's Ransom quest guide, there is a mini-quest at the end called the "Knight Waves Training Ground." We posted it in the Tips and Tricks section. In order to avoid spoiling it, again there is a blue box with the option to hide/show.

We have also done this for the Back to My Roots quest (which offers the Wizard's Burial miniquest AND the Jade Vine daily), and the In Pyre Need quest (for the Phoenix daily). In the ME2 guide the Dwarf's list is hidden (it's 50 items!)

So, we are debating doing this a bit more because our Skill guides are getting so long (and sometimes wordy.) :oops: One drawback, as someone stated above, is that text in a "hide" tag cannot be found using a CTRL-F. So that is a drawback. To compensate, we would use very good SubHeaders and a sentence or two of description before the hide/show box, and hopefully that will help a CTRL-F get to the right spot.

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions with specific concerns, it really helps us a lot!

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.