Tip.it Times 18 October 2009

n_odie

To the author of the herblore article:

Those pots ARE overpowered(especially the mage and a bit the range potion as well). It's either get 95 herblore, or have no chance.

Then the solution is for Jagex to maybe reduce their power slightly in PvP only, and then for people to get 95 herblore. Of course it might be unfair that these people have an advantage, but if people didn't have advantages over other people... then what is the point of the game at all?

I'm glad people are liking the article :) :^_^:

Not trying to jump on the 'you're a low level so you don't know it' wagon, but have you ever done high level Pvp? I have onehitted many people, which gets even easier with these pots.

Now if you use barrage(46) to ags(80), you have a chance of 10% to hit 99 hp ir higher. Considered my previous success rate was somewhere near 8%(chance to onehit somewhere near 1/320, that IS overpowered.

I don't know much about high level PvP, you're right. But from the figures there, it seems like there is a deeper problem than these potions. If anything other than what we have now will make PvP overpowered then we have real issues in introducing anything high level that might effect PvP, since if things get more powerful, it's going to just get silly. So I'd say there's a greater issue at hand with PvP balancing, rather than the potions themselves.

Your right, the imbalance is not just the potions themselves. Items such as the AGS and Claws have had to much KO potential from the beginning. Those are the items that need to be changed, but instead of changing them to be less potent, they just increased their KO potential with these potions.

Im not saying the potions in PVP is a bad thing, I'm saying At the current moment PvP stands in terms of hit potential, these potions in PvP ARE A VERY BAD THING. Until PvP is rebalanced, all these do is make a already bad problem worse. Once its rebalanced, sure, allow them all you want. But as long as players can one hit 20-45-45 or higher with a ice blitz/darkbow combo with extreme range/magic potions, there is an issue.

I already know a pure friend of mine (Taco Limey) who has hit 100 damage for one attack cycle in pvp without piety and super sets. What do you think would happen in high level PvP if these potions were added for someone like that?

If Potions are here to increase our damage potential, there should also be potions to decease the damage dealt as well, not just reduce accuracy.

dawnsigblue-3.png

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to call fail on the Did You Know.

What are you doing with that many lightbulbs on in the first place?

At most you should have perhaps 2 on in the room you are in, if any.

Defensively not saving money here though, those energy effecient things drop like flies from a lantern here.

It means 5 light bulbs in your entire house in the living room the kitchen dining room ect not just all of them in one room.

Melencholy.png

Questcape first achieved: Sept 20, 2009
99 agility march 11th 2010

99 Magic - some point in 2012

Does anyone edit the articles before they're released? I mean an official, subjective editor - not the writer of the article. I've noticed a few recent ones that had unacceptable grammatical errors, extra words, missing words, etc. Perhaps more bothersome than that is the WALL OF TEXT style of writing that some of them have.

I would highly recommend that Tip.it put time into finding someone to take on the task of full time editor.

As for the articles themselves, I enjoyed TS_Stormrage's solutions to the inflation problem. I also enjoyed the fact that his article didn't hurt my eyes.

Thanks for the feedback.

We do have some full time editors: however a couple are 'out of service' at the moment. We will however continue to work on this issue.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Good lord... Those pots are overpowered. I don't have a solution, but I for one can testify they are like that one drug where i can't remember it's name. The one where you pound your fists through walls and odn't feel it... Yeah that one.

P ess argument is hard to see. You'd have to try :/

theres a lotta drugs that do that, name cocain and acid but yeah. think about mario, guy eats a mushroom and doubles in size? thats his overload pot lol

LK1

Actually the drug he was thinking of was PCP sometimes known as Angel Dust. Cocaine and Acid don't do that at all. Mario's mushrooms seem to be based on psilosybin mushrooms mixed with pcp. And the overload pot would be better correlated to the super star in the mario world, temporary effects that make you super strong and hard to kill.

Burquedout.png

Loved them both.

The first article I agree with the possible methods in fact I've suggested the first 2 numerous times.

To anyone giving this reply to the herblore article or the new potions in general, "herblore isn't a combat skill".

Look at the following PvP items.

DDS, D scimmy, D long, anchor, RfD gloves, crystal bow, crystal shield, handcannon, d hally (next to never used, but possible), rune plate, and spirit shields.

Lunars and ancients too.

They all require skills to complete the quests to unlock and wield them.

I'd hate to imagine PvP without all the skill/quest related items. You'd be limited to very few dragon items and it would pretty much jump from rune to whips/godswords with no middle ground.

People need to look and see skills have always affected PvP. Back in the days per GE it was either buy 100's/1000's of potions or make them yourself. The average scaper would either spend hours trying to afford or bid down the price of potions or skill to make the potions themselves.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

*reads second article*

WHAT!?!? Jagex removed the potions from PVP!? Wow. Way to ruin their update. What's the point in being able to hit 45 with ice barrage if you can't use it in PVP?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

*reads second article*

WHAT!?!? Jagex removed the potions from PVP!? Wow. Way to ruin their update. What's the point in being able to hit 45 with ice barrage if you can't use it in PVP?

Maybe Rock Lobs, but I think more people use Bursts there :P

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

How many people who have 91 herblore need to mage rock lobsters? A few. Not many. I'd guess that most people would get 99 magic and summon before 91 herb.

Allright.

To TS_Stormrage's article:

PvP players take the option of risk versus reward. If you don't like it, tough.

The ONLY plausible way I can see the inflation getting solved is the activity bars, if only to get rid of EP farmers.

To Racheya's article:

Herblore is not a combat skill, however the new potions created a massive impact on PvP combat. Herblore was only meant to support certain skills and provide limited buffs, but the extreme potions update turned it into a totally new entity, a powerful force that ultimately became the deciding factor in a Player versus Player battle.

A skilling stat should not directly affect combat to any extreme extent. Like, imagine if I could suddenly inflict insane damage with a rune hatchet because I'm 99 woodcutting. It wouldn't make any sense, and it would be rather unfair to players with lower woodcutting then me. PKers would be forced to level their woodcutting in order to compete: suddenly combat stats wouldn't make as much of a difference. This is what happened with herblore.

In order to compete with players possessing high herblore, other players would have no option but to level their herblore as well. Considering the fact that most of the people in need of leveling herby would be PKers, they would most likely 76K their way to the stat. This would lead to a rise in the general cost of herblore, making the skill even harder for normal players to train.

Having a skilling stat DIRECTLY affect your individual combat potential for the first time in Runescape's history makes no sense. But to those of you who insist that it does:

~I propose a new ZAROSIAN GODHATCHET, only availible to players with 96+ Woodcutting. It's special attack has an 80% chance of decapitating your opponent with a magical burst.

~I propose a new LIVING ROCK PICKAXE, which is only availible to players with 96+ Mining. It's special attack prevents the other player from healing for 30 seconds, and heals the wielder for 50% of his hp, instantly.

~I propose a new VENERATED SOULHAMMER, which is only availible to players with 96+ Smithing. The special attack drains your opponent's prayer by 100% and increases the wielder's prayer duration by double.

After all, players earned those levels, right?

Your mocking ideas are much more overpowered then herblore. Also, risk vs reward: you shouldn't have to risk 76k to get 5m, which is the point of his article. And yes, it makes sense for people to use EP farming because of how good it is...But by that logic, you should allow high level potions in PVP, if you don't like it, tough.

Also, maybe the potions WERE overpowered. Too much. Why not de-power them? Extreme magic potions gives 20% bonus? Or have the current magic potion give that bonus so that barragers with 91 herb can hit 45 (barrage max is 45 btw, not 50) and people without could still hit 39. Lower the effects of the potion but keep them more powerful then traded potions.

And yes, these potions can be used for slayer and stuff too....But I never use normal potions with slayer, so (if) I had 96 herblore why would I suddenly start using these extreme potions?

And why not let Jagex keep these potions IN places like sw, clanwars (maybe an option to allow or disallow them!) cw, etc. SAFE minigames.

For the first article all the proposals are great ideas and i think that all or them could work, all of them except the pure essence one. With so much of it already in the economy how would Jagex possibly remove it? Or change it back to regular rune essence? The Update was made more then 3 years ago and though it might help the economy, the task of changing it back would be almost impossible and might cause an uproar of members who suddenly find that there extensively mined pure essence is worth next to nothing. The idea of it is grande but almost impossible in a real sense. The other proposals were magnificent and i think u should, if possible, present them to Jagex ASAP they could really benefit the slowly crumbling economy.

Merging pure and rune ess and fixing them at a price of, say, 120 each, and announcing that they will do it in two weeks time will have these effects;

- People massively dump their pure essence in the GE to rapidly buy rune essence, hoping to get a bit of extra cash, will result in both pure and rune essence creeping closer to the 120 GP per piece limit...

- Both rune and pure essence will be worth roughly the same (around 120) for a short period of time, and while Pure essence is not mined on P2P, rune essence is all of a sudden mined on F2P cuz it snow good profit...

- Runecrafters might buy the now cheaper Pure ess to make P2P only runes, which causes those to fall in price as well...

- The merge happens and the price is held steady at 120 GP for two days, after which it is allowed to fluctuate again...

- The Rune essence price will sink to the pre-merge levels of around 40 each...

The only people shafted in this is are the F2P RuneCrafters who will have to put their hobby on hold for two weeks, and those who still cling to large piles of Pure Essence (an item which has only a single purpose besides being held for merchanting)...

I fail to see the harm in doing this...

It would however hurt the players that bought huge quantity's of pure essence to raise Runecrafting.

They would have spent millions on that pure essence, then they would see that they would have to sell it, but they could not. The markets would be flooded with pure essence, and no one would be buying it. This would (as you have said) cause pure essence to diminish in value soon making there investment a huge loss for them.

If they bought it to train up runecrafting, why would they sell it? They would just keep on using it up to train runecrafting.

Really this would only hurt P2P who mine essence for cash.

If u look at my reply i said that it might help the economy my big thing was that a lot of members who had mined the essence for money would now find their hard work wasted and now would rant and rant to Jagex about the fact that they spent a large amount of time mining it now it worth nothing more then xp. How would you feel it all of a sudden all skill produced items in the game were worth nothing more then 120 or less gp? In the article he also said that these solutions would help to stop ranting on the forums but that not how I see it with this solution. Dont forget also the amount of time it would take to organize the size of this reversal update would take up out of Jagex's time which is already filled to the brim.

Rune essence is at 75gp each. At one point in the game, that was the price of PURE essence. The arguement that people who mine pure ess would lose out on a lot of money is, to me, bull. Once the price stabilizes, it will be at least 120gp. That is still a pretty damn good figure to make from mining ess. Yes, they would lose out on some money, and the short-term effects would be bad for some people...But at the end of the day, mining ess would still be profitable enough for even a MEMBER (LIKE OMFG) and rc MIGHT be more profitable (although with the exp based economy who knows...) and runes would go down. Which, if you consider how much money you spend ranging something vs maging something, it's a good thing.

To the author of the herblore article:

Those pots ARE overpowered(especially the mage and a bit the range potion as well). It's either get 95 herblore, or have no chance.

Then the solution is for Jagex to maybe reduce their power slightly in PvP only, and then for people to get 95 herblore. Of course it might be unfair that these people have an advantage, but if people didn't have advantages over other people... then what is the point of the game at all?

I'm glad people are liking the article :) :^_^:

Not trying to jump on the 'you're a low level so you don't know it' wagon, but have you ever done high level Pvp? I have onehitted many people, which gets even easier with these pots.

Now if you use barrage(46) to ags(80), you have a chance of 10% to hit 99 hp ir higher. Considered my previous success rate was somewhere near 8%(chance to onehit somewhere near 1/320, that IS overpowered.

Ok. That to me means that Jagex needs to fix up and nerf pvp so that it isn't so unbalanced, rather then just stop every new peice of high level gear in anything from being used in PVP.

Both good articles on relevant topics - good stuff.

Regarding the PvP proposals made by TS Stormrage, I'd agree totally with the drop being reduced to 0-200% of what your opponent is carrying. My initial reaction was it should actually only go up to 100%, but on reflection I think you need to make up for the occasions that the drop is 0 so 200% feels about right.

Personally I think I'd take gp out of the equation as well.. I don't recall any genuine pkers carrying around vast chunks of cash when pk'ing prior to all the updates!

Regarding the pure essence proposal I'm not sure it would work. As an active runecrafter, I'd love to see it happen, but can't see that it could be re-introduced in the manner you suggest. Announcing the intention to merge the two again would simply cause the crash to take place at the point the announcement is made, even if an arbitrary price is in place at the time of the introduction as you suggest. (If I expect the price to be 120gp in 2 weeks time, then I'll only buy at that price now, or wait for the 2 weeks, unless my desire/need increases in urgency at which point I may be prepared to pay above the stated 120 but still way below the current levels).

The only way I could see this working would be to offer an exchange whereby pure essence could be traded in for multiple regular essence based on current value (e.g. If today's values are 225gp Pure Essence and 75gp Regular Essence, for every pure essence I trade, I get 3 regular essence in return). At the same time as introducing this exchange the price is temporarily frozen on the GE and Pure Essence is totally removed from all trade bar the exchange point - the exchange could even be automated and take place in players bank accounts without the need to visit an exchange point.

Even introducing this measure, I see no way that the price will return to the pre-merge price of 25-40ea since this price was artificially low due to the number of bots that mined essence.

Well, yes, after looking at the price of rune essence you can easily see that. Instead of an exchange thing that does it for you, I think just DOING it for the players might make life easier. If they un-did the update, they need to get pure ess out of the game. Period.

Also, although PVP needs to be nerfed (both drops and the overpoweredness of everything) this drop system just might be the best thing they've done so far, since the RWT updates and GE and everything. Gonna try to shy away from discussing that minefield...And anyways Jagex won't undo their updates...

The last two systems they've had, because of the drop system, were more successful then any of the others to get rid of RWT. Which is a priority to Jagex. The previous system was hated as it made things like DFS to easy to get because it was a PVP drop. So, Jagex got rid of all those items and implemented cash instead. Might be better then the old system.

Here's an interesting idea I ran into once....Recycling. Everytime a person loses an AGS from PVP it's gone. Well, the idea behind this system is that these items could be recycled BACK into the drops of PVP. Granted, I have no idea how feasible this idea is...But, perhaps this, combined with SOME cash drops, SOME items being dropped anyways (maybe, but they'd have to be chosen carefully....d scimmy seems like a perfect item, since your not hurting any skiller or monster killer who makes money from this item) as well as a better system to make sure that you can't get more then double or triple of what you risk. At least with cash artifacts and non-recycled items.

And what kind of recycled item you get (if any) is determined mostly by what your opponent is risking. Or something.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Both good articles on relevant topics - good stuff.

Regarding the PvP proposals made by TS Stormrage, I'd agree totally with the drop being reduced to 0-200% of what your opponent is carrying. My initial reaction was it should actually only go up to 100%, but on reflection I think you need to make up for the occasions that the drop is 0 so 200% feels about right.

Personally I think I'd take gp out of the equation as well.. I don't recall any genuine pkers carrying around vast chunks of cash when pk'ing prior to all the updates!

It's not a matter of risking GP, but the value you are risking overall, including the items that you would drop if you died (which can include artefacts dropped previously)...

Basicly, you keep X items safe, and risk the next (and lesser valued) items, and the total value of those items are risked... With 100% EP you can get between 0% and 200% of that value as a drop in Artefacts... Simple...

Regarding the pure essence proposal I'm not sure it would work. As an active runecrafter, I'd love to see it happen, but can't see that it could be re-introduced in the manner you suggest. Announcing the intention to merge the two again would simply cause the crash to take place at the point the announcement is made, even if an arbitrary price is in place at the time of the introduction as you suggest. (If I expect the price to be 120gp in 2 weeks time, then I'll only buy at that price now, or wait for the 2 weeks, unless my desire/need increases in urgency at which point I may be prepared to pay above the stated 120 but still way below the current levels).

The only way I could see this working would be to offer an exchange whereby pure essence could be traded in for multiple regular essence based on current value (e.g. If today's values are 225gp Pure Essence and 75gp Regular Essence, for every pure essence I trade, I get 3 regular essence in return). At the same time as introducing this exchange the price is temporarily frozen on the GE and Pure Essence is totally removed from all trade bar the exchange point - the exchange could even be automated and take place in players bank accounts without the need to visit an exchange point.

Even introducing this measure, I see no way that the price will return to the pre-merge price of 25-40ea since this price was artificially low due to the number of bots that mined essence.

Replacing everyone's Pure Essence with three times the ammount of Rune Essence is an AWESOME idea (can't believe that I didn't think of that), and is probably the best way to approach this... It removes all Pure Essence from the game (no new rares), Noone loses anything, and F2P gets their money maker back... Simply brilliant (btw, pm me when you see me ingame plz)...

While they are at it, they should multiply everyone's TokKul by 10 (and not announce that they are goign to do it)...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The ep farmers or gatherers don't bother me as i can just rush them. Im my opinion the way people are killed needs to be changed, maybe on top of the 76k risk say your opponent must have a defence bonus based on your combat level.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

They were two very good articles. I did enjoy them a lot.

And Rawr, I'm gonna have to give you a quote violation. That is *way* too many long quotes to be put into one post makiing a super wall of text. I mean damn. :blink:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I'm not a PKer, and i don't really use herblore unless i have to, so the potions update doesn't affect me at all.

Posted by Wugmaster Vincent Xxalius

final.gif

You have to take off everything except your gloves and boots. WTF JAGEX? :thumbdown:

Don't forget about the ring, you can keep that one to :)

And your necklace. :grin:

And quiver! This is fun :P!

I already know a pure friend of mine (Taco Limey) who has hit 100 damage for one attack cycle in pvp without piety and super sets. What do you think would happen in high level PvP if these potions were added for someone like that?

How about absolutely nothing? People who already aren't using super sets and piety are not likely to start using even new temporary boosts that are even more expensive.

Rocktails are available to everybody and are much better than sharks, but I don't see them tearing up the PVP scenes.

Completly disagree with the inflation update. Since all raw materials have gone up, the higher end stuff is worth more. If you train slayer, you get 300k mauls, 75k rune boots, 75k snap seeds, 3.5m whips, and 500k d boots. Any solution suggested would cause more of a problem than the "problem" it fixes. Also, the GS and all GWD armor is still cheaper than when it first came out. It is "end game" content, and it is rare. People will save for it, or stick with barrows, as many high levels still do.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Great articles this week, i particularly liked the first one, and he offered some good solutions

But i have to say, i'm not a fan of players putting up there solutions to a problem, even if it seems good up front, you never know the full effects of an update until its enacted

the second one was good too, and as for the dyk : p it was clever, but not great (not too interesting for me lol)

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

I agree with most of the opinions expressed in the 2 articles. However, like a few others, I also do not think Summoning shards tradeback at 70% to be a very bad thing. On the way to 99 Summoning players still waste over 40million GP, and that generally is a good amount. However, EP farming, the culprit, is just making that amount seem less significant, like many items.

With the Herblore article, I also agree on bringing potions back to combat minigames, A bonus to having 90+ herblore in PVP worlds is like while you fight, you are also smacking your equal-combat-leveled opponent in the face with an invisible glove, and that wouldn't seem fair to a lot of non-skillers.

I'm simply speculating here, since I do not PVP or have ever gained any EP, ever.

2 very good articles.

Relative to the first, yes, the inflation from 76king is killing us all. But right now Jagex seems to be like the Santa Claus who simply gives you clothes when you asked for a BB Rifle. (Yes, that was an A Christmas Story reference.)

Relvative to the second, I don't see why they did it. Their reason(s?) is weak, and everything that points to the fact that the potions should have remained in PvP stacks up higher than the reasons against it. I'm just glad they didn't remove them from GWD or other bosshunting zones, THEN I'd be really ticked. They still have a current use for the ~3,000ish people who still play and can use them.

a70c7.png

Completly disagree with the inflation update. Since all raw materials have gone up, the higher end stuff is worth more. If you train slayer, you get 300k mauls, 75k rune boots, 75k snap seeds, 3.5m whips, and 500k d boots. Any solution suggested would cause more of a problem than the "problem" it fixes. Also, the GS and all GWD armor is still cheaper than when it first came out. It is "end game" content, and it is rare. People will save for it, or stick with barrows, as many high levels still do.

Not all raw materials have gone up... Some raw materials CANT go up, because their end product is something bound by Alch values...

You seem happy in this snowballing inflation where we are infact crossing over from "normal" hyper inflation, to a point where upgoing prices are a means to inflate a price even further (due to people thinking "oh, its gonig to rise further anyways")

But let's look at some of the more common raw materials.. Since the PVP update, changing actual drops to artefacts;

Mauls have gone from 131k to 316k (141%)

Rune Boots have gone from 36k to 83k (131%)

Snapdragon Seeds have gone from 49k to 80k (63%)

Abyssal Whips have gone from 1.5m to 3.6m (140%)

and Dragon Boots from 280k to 504k (80%)

BUT

Yew logs went from 454 to 479 (5,5%)

Coal went from 175 to 197 (12,5%)

Nature Runes went from 230 to 307 (33%)

Flax went DOWN from 81 to 75 (-8%)

Lobsters went from 255 to 363 (42%)

As you can see, raw materials do rise, but not nearly as fast as your slayer drops... I could dive in a few more examples, but I think my overall point is clear...

You have failed to read ALL of my article, and until you do so, I would prefer it if you did not reply to this thread again :P

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

If the prices of everything in game rises by 30%, who does that hurt?

If most of your wealth was tied up in items anyway, it doesn't hurt you.

If all you had was 50m in cash, and nothing else, sure you might be out of 30% of your GP, but it doesn't seem like you use it anyway...

Inflation only hurts low levels, but even they're not affected because they tend to make their own items, and if they sell those items, they'd get proportionately the same amount.

All I see these days are people ranting about inflation, as if they knew what they were talking about. I think sometime in the near future I'm going to try and educate a few of you, and myself, into understanding what has gone on in a historical perspective.

Even if someone invested most of their cash in items, the economy is WAY too unstable. I have learned my lesson twice in not to invest all your cash into your items. The pvp pro item update, massive crash in any pvp related item for 2 days until +1 worlds were added. Other major crash was when the herb update came out. Yes everything has rebounded, its just a matter of time before one update crashes everything and nothing goes back. Lots of ppl will end up losing tonssss of cash.

I_G_RagZ.png

Current goals-99 Sum, 95 Slay, Elysian/Divine Spirit Shield, Get LS Elysian and Divine, get another sexy 99

Drops Solo and LS-Arma Hiltx1(solo), Arma Chestx1(solo), Dragon Clawsx2(solo), Bandos Hiltx2(1 FFA, 1 LS), Bandos Tassetsx4(2 duo, 1 solo,2 LS), BCPx5(1 duo, 4 LS), Sara Hiltx1(1 LS), SSx7(LS), Spectral Sigilx1(LS)

You know TS, I'm starting to wonder if Jagex is turning a blind eye with a plan in mind. What caused me to think this? I've gotten so fed up with the GE that I've started... doing it myself more. Perhaps that's the desired goal?

I mean, you know things are FUBAR if you can't buy basic materials (iron ore) at max. So what did I go? I went to Yanille and mined the 400 that I needed.

For some things, Jagex, that's reasonable. However, it doesn't work for things like pure essence.

Wait, did I just imply Jagex is devious? Right, my bad. I'm sure it's just a lack of understanding of how game dynamics function.

TY fragg, for re-iterating my point about needing a stable economy...

And swampjedi; Jagex has a large history of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. So even if they have a plan, I can almost guarantee you that there will be updates screwing that up too...

Anywho, I've resorted to having a small sig made, promoting the Times of this week, hoping that enough people will read and support it, that a msg goes out to Jagex :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Agreed. That's why I wonder if again, the cure might be worse than the illness (as in removing the wilderness to fix RWT).

Let's consider for a moment - what's going to happen if Jagex doesn't intervene and change the status quo? Where is the logical conclusion?

Best. Times. Ever.

No, seriously, I haven't even bothered with the articles for a few weeks. This time they seemed interesting enough for me to check, and I absolutely loved them. Clear and well written. Thank you! =D>

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Agreed. That's why I wonder if again, the cure might be worse than the illness (as in removing the wilderness to fix RWT).

Let's consider for a moment - what's going to happen if Jagex doesn't intervene and change the status quo? Where is the logical conclusion?

I'll take a jab at that one :)

If nothing gets changed, no new (and continuous) money sinks are added and the EP farming is still the best moneymaker by far? Easy...

Over time, prices of items that are not bound by their alch value rise to HUGE levels, and everyone will HAVE to resort to EP-farming (which only adds more to the current problem) to get the items they need...

This kills one thing for RuneScape, and it is the one thing that EVERYTHING thrives on;

The influx of new players...

People see that they have to resort to EP-farming, and forego enjoying the rest of the game if they want their precious item... Newest of the new players see that they get 25gp to start with, and that any decent weapon costs 5m to start with, and realise that it snot worth playing...

Once the influx of new people stops, over time, there will be less and less people playing RS, up to a point where the amount of dollars, pounds and euro's they get from memberships no longer outweighs the cost of running and updating the game (less updates = less players), so eventually they decide to either sell or simply stop running RuneScape...

Yes you heard it right; what is happening now is a gamekiller, albeit a slow one...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!