3rd Age/Spirit shields/Phats Discussion

bedman

So, I have 4 santas and a blue h'ween mask. How close am I to having a Phat again?

God, I wish I didn't sell my red phat back in the day....

you're not even close to a purple, unless you can trade those santas for something more confident like hooks and/or strong risings. not a lot of merchants will be looking for santas.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have 4 santas and a blue h'ween mask. How close am I to having a Phat again?

God, I wish I didn't sell my red phat back in the day....

you're not even close to a purple, unless you can trade those santas for something more confident like hooks and/or strong risings. not a lot of merchants will be looking for santas.

Here's the flaw in your logic: Not a lot of merchants will be looking for purples either. You don't need particularly strong risings to buy a purple. (I'm not saying you can buy one with junk, but santas are pretty good right now. If you look long enough and have enough santas, you might snag a purple.) But you're exactly right about the other hats -- you'll need edibles to get one of those.

punitivedsig.png

So, i was thinking into entering the rare market, wich would be a good rare to start off?

santa

I want to get into the rare market as well. Im currently at 29-30Mil and when i started saving for santas they were 32mil and now their almost 40mil...

How much longer will they rise?

Will they crash?

Is now a good time to get one?

They will rise indefinitely. They will crash eventually (and then start rising again). Yes, this is a good time to get one.

I understand that, but i remember santas being stable at 30mil for a LONG time and their finally shooting up past that.

Will they go back down to 30mil soon or will they stay stable at 40mil+?

Santas were in the low 30s for 2 1/2 months. If you consider that a LONG time, then I wouldn't buy a santa. You should be flipping commodities -- you'll make money every day. I personally think santas will keep going up to about 60m, but who knows? I'm keeping mine for a long time. (I bought santas when masks took off -- dumped all my masks -- and I would like to see the santas roughly double before I sell.)

punitivedsig.png

Does anyone else share these same thoughts? In the Q&A it was stated many times the new skill won't be expensive, they only way rares was going to crash according to some merchants was if a big moneysink was implemented, and it was favoured that this would be the new skill. Now that it isn't i have seen a rise in confidence with rares and am finding it hard to see masks dipping even. But of course a moneysink can always be implememted without being a skill, but most people aren't thinking of that.

Arzian.png

Does anyone else share these same thoughts? In the Q&A it was stated many times the new skill won't be expensive, they only way rares was going to crash according to some merchants was if a big moneysink was implemented, and it was favoured that this would be the new skill. Now that it isn't i have seen a rise in confidence with rares and am finding it hard to see masks dipping even. But of course a moneysink can always be implememted without being a skill, but most people aren't thinking of that.

I agree with you. I'm a little queezy about masks because they're so ridiculously high right now, but, in the long run, I imagine they'll be fine, and I see no reason for them to crash in the short run. Masks might go sideways for a while like santas did for a few months, but I don't see any major crash on the horizon.

punitivedsig.png

Now that the market has 'settled' down from the shock of the mint cake nerf, could someone post an overview of all of the rares prices?

In regards to the crash of lower rares; My belief is that there will be some aspect of the skill that will require money, whether its buying supplies like picks or axes for mining and wc, or some new items created for the skill. As of now, a lot of people are doing what Punitive D is doing, sticking GP into rares and when they get enough for another, buying 1 more. So these people often don't carry lots of GP in their bank. When the skill hits there will be a mad rush for these items. Even if they are not as much as say godswords, they will still require GP. People will need some GP but not massive amounts. So they will sell 1-2 of their lower rares like santas or masks that have pretty much the same street as GE price. So pretty much what I'm saying is that I think there will be a small crash in the lower rares when the new skill comes out. But the higher rares will be more then secure.

Also, does someone wanna quit and sell me a half wine for med price? :^_^:

Now that the market has 'settled' down from the shock of the mint cake nerf, could someone post an overview of all of the rares prices? Also, does someone wanna quit and sell me a half wine for med price? :^_^:

Please don't mention the mint cake nerf -- I sacrificed a half dozen santas to get mints. Fortunately, I turned some into an easter before the nerf, but I was still left with 25 mints. (I turned down an offer of a green phat for the easter, eight mints and junk.) The easter has turned out ok, but I lost my shirt on those mints.

punitivedsig.png

Personally, I think all rares will "crash" again for some reason (don't know what exactly), they can't keep rising otherwise they'll all simply reach "max cash" value and then they'll be the same price as each other, Jagex will have to step in and set a limit of some sort sooner or later.

I could've been in your same boat Punitve_D, I had a total of about 15 mints when they were 5-7m per. I eventually unloaded them and had 1 left when they reached the 10m margin. My friends blue mask was crashing and she was really needing money for smithing so I gave it to her. Mints were the item I was scared of the most which is why I let them go so cheap. I knew the nerf was coming but like many others I bought into the hype.

The other item I'm happy I have is a hook I obtained for market many months ago. How are those doing? I also purchased a santa for 32.5m before I took a break from runescape and I've noticed it's started to take off. How far do you guys think they will ride? I see masks have gone insane, I had a set for 100m and im pretty sick to see their price tag atm. Where could I get with a santa and a hook? If anyone could give me some insight to this market it would be much appreciated.

Low_C.png

Personally, I think all rares will "crash" again for some reason (don't know what exactly), they can't keep rising otherwise they'll all simply reach "max cash" value and then they'll be the same price as each other, Jagex will have to step in and set a limit of some sort sooner or later.

Possibly, but the demand for rares (especially phats and edibles) are still very strong so they won't drastically crash unless jagex releases a moneysink or something that'll give enough incentive to sell them.

the purpose of holding rares is so that you've accomplished the hard task of saving all the money to buy one. think about it, there will be thousands with max total, and a lot more with godswords, best armor sets and all that jazz, but there can only be a certain number with rares. Its like the only thing in runescape that you can achieve something on without worrying that millions like you will achieve the same damn thing.

i know i sound very annoying for lecturing this a several times.

AS for hooks, I wouldn't hold on to them since prices aren't that flexible and the market price is kind of challenging. So its not possible for them to become the new "mint cake".

But they also said in the Q&A that they will be putting in some anti-inflation updates in, so hopefully that helps

yes.png

But they also said in the Q&A that they will be putting in some anti-inflation updates in, so hopefully that helps

where? x[)

to them, i always thought this inflation was natural.

Inflation has leveled off - the gold entering the game is now balanced by the new high prices of weapons, armors, and consumables entering the game. If they added anti-inflationary updates to the currently stable market we would have deflation (which is worse than inflation).

I see 3rd age carafes stayiing steady until the pvp nerf which means you can buy as many 3rd age carafes as possible without worry of them crashing

You're an idiot.

Whats sniping?

Getting a GE offer within seconds of the update and hoping for a purchase. Even that sometimes doesn't work, depending on the strength of the buyout and if others got the offer in faster.

lalalasig2.png

As requested, from the content team Q&A

Page 2:

f) Mod Andrew mentioned fixing up price manipulation, inflation, and other things. Is there an ETA for this/status update?

Fetzki: We think we have some strong solutions that altogether will make a big difference before the summer, other parts of this initiative will be later in the year but it is our main focus right now.

Andrew Q&A

This isn't an answer, but a note to myself of things which have been raised a few times, and people seem particularly concerned about so far, which clearly need more work, and which I need to prioritize, and think about as soon as I've finished answering questions here:

-Inflation

-Price manipulation clans and auto typers

-Incorrect GE prices (still)

I'll have a chat with the teams about these shortly.

Content Team Q&A

3. Are there currently any plans that Jagex is working on to stop inflation in RuneScape?

44 Extreme

3. Yes, we are looking at various ways to handle the situation. The price increase has accelerated too much for our liking and we will react in due time.

1. What do you think about RuneScape's economy and what would you like to see improved?

Yukaai

1. I think the economy has recovered from the price drop that threatened skilling back in 2008, but in recent months the inflation has accelerated, so we will introduce measures against this soon.

As you may have heard already, many people have been affected by inflation. This happens because so much raw cash is put into the game, and without an equal amount exiting the game, GP becomes worth less and less. Most of this raw cash is coming in from the PvP drop system.

1. Do you plan on doing anything about inflation?

2. If so, how do you plan on getting rid of the billions of GP that entered the game before 76king was stopped?

No Veng-OMFG

I agree that, after we had some healthy price increases that made skilling worthwhile again, the increase has started to go too fast in recent few months and we will react accordingly.

2. Merchant clans lose or gain money depending whether they read the market correctly or not. We concentrate our efforts to stop these clans that manipulate the market, and we think we have made some progress on preventing these people from manipulating prices without us impacting on gameplay. Now we are more comfortable to be taking measures against inflation, but we are still discussing details.

yes.png

@Darkld

Purple is the only partyhat you'd be able to get for pure rare risings right now and if even that. The higher partyhats don't sell for anything short of very good rising, i.e Staffs of Light (and a few of them).

Could someone explain sniping in more detail.

I grasp the general idea, but how do you know when will g.e. get updated ?

Every system update?

The Grand Exchange updates every 12-36 hours and while some people sit at the GE all day and watch price screens to change to get the best sniping, others have page monitors which watch the Grand Exchange beta page and send an alter once the page has changed, aka the prices have been updated. It is then that they commence to spam offers for whatever item they want and they check if the price of their items has updated. If it didn't, they have no chance because of the earlier offers already in, if they did, they now have a chance to get whatever item it is because they got an offer in early meaning they will be earlier in the line of offers. The GE works as first come first serve if it's for the same price, by the way.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Could someone explain sniping in more detail.

I grasp the general idea, but how do you know when will g.e. get updated ?

Every system update?

The Grand Exchange updates every 12-36 hours and while some people sit at the GE all day and watch price screens to change to get the best sniping, others have page monitors which watch the Grand Exchange beta page and send an alter once the page has changed, aka the prices have been updated. It is then that they commence to spam offers for whatever item they want and they check if the price of their items has updated. If it didn't, they have no chance because of the earlier offers already in, if they did, they now have a chance to get whatever item it is because they got an offer in early meaning they will be earlier in the line of offers. The GE works as first come first serve if it's for the same price, by the way.

Are there some set hours for this or are they random ?

And if they are set could anyone please list them.

Also, where could I find one of these page monitors ?