3rd Age/Spirit shields/Phats Discussion

bedman

Holding onto rares while you need money has always seemed pointless to me. Why would you hold onto something useless which you'll never be able to sell normally for the "right" price anytime soon? Better actually enjoy your wealth and lose a little bit of value.

Or skip them entirely like me. :)

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so I've got a purple party hat and a disk of returning from Back In The Day, and I want to turn the disk into cash. (The party hat I'm keeping; I think it looks fabulous on me.) All this talk of junk trading and street prices and such means very little to me, as I haven't played more than a few days intermittently in the last couple of years. How do I go about selling it? Am I ripping myself off if I just stick it on the GE? Will anyone actually buy it on the GE?

Looking through the RSOF I found that eggs are going for ~300M each.

1 disk is frequently traded for 2 eggs.

That gives your disk a street price of ~600M.

What I suggest you do, is use your disk to upgrade your phat. In return they add cash to balance the trade. I don't have a very in depth knowledge of that Phat market, but with 600M plus a purple you should be able to get a red. Then they will need to add ~12M GP to their side to balance the trade. This wouldn't be as much GP as you would get by selling it on the GE (54M) but the upgraded phat is well worth it.

Alternitivly you could upgrade to a yellow or green and get slightly more pure GP out of the trade from balancing (~40m). Green and yellow are close to the same GE price buy yellow is higher in street price so that is better trade in my opinion.

OR, if you really need the GP you could sell it for market price to a helpfull tif'er who did all of this research for you? :grin:

Either way, if you are going to upgrade for anything less then a red, try posting here first because I'm sure there are some tif'ers who would love to get the couple hundred M you would essentially be giving them. Preferably trade to a person who is a tif'er because most of the people on the RSOF are hoarders who already have tons.

EDIT: I just saw a thread on the RSOF of someone buying a red for a disk and some minor rares that would be slightly less then the street price of a purple phat. So if you are going to try to get a red, I'd say you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine yesterday, he has a banned account with 300 purple phats on it (form the dupe back in the days), and we were arguing about what would happen if he got unbanned and sold all those phats for min on the GE.

I thought that prices of purples would crash, since 300 purples traded for min would cause a lot more supply, but he said nothing would happen because there are tons of purples.

What would happen if this highly, highly, highly unlikely story would be true? :mrgreen:

I had a discussion with a friend of mine yesterday, he has a banned account with 300 purple phats on it (form the dupe back in the days), and we were arguing about what would happen if he got unbanned and sold all those phats for min on the GE.

I thought that prices of purples would crash, since 300 purples traded for min would cause a lot more supply, but he said nothing would happen because there are tons of purples.

What would happen if this highly, highly, highly unlikely story would be true? :mrgreen:

I would think that a good chunk of them would land in the banks of hoarders never to see the light of day again (they didn't get alot of time being free of that cold dark place). The street price may take a decent dive, but no where near a complete crash.

Well, that's all very happy news. Upgrading the purple is probably my best bet investment-wise, no doubt, although I have my reservations because I like the color. (Silly, I know.) Say I wanted to parlay my disk into an Elysian spirit shield plus whatever else I could get for it, is that feasible? I'm not sure how I'd accomplish it, what with these trade limits they have now. Regardless, thanks for the assistance.

Well, that's all very happy news. Upgrading the purple is probably my best bet investment-wise, no doubt, although I have my reservations because I like the color. (Silly, I know.) Say I wanted to parlay my disk into an Elysian spirit shield plus whatever else I could get for it, is that feasible? I'm not sure how I'd accomplish it, what with these trade limits they have now. Regardless, thanks for the assistance.

What other sort of items / GP do you have in your bank that's worth a significant amount? Because unless you have a couple hundred M worth of items or GP in your bank I don't see getting an Ely SS being feasible for the sole reason of the need to balance the trade. I saw a Ely sold for disk + cash on the RSOF but unless you have 390M GP sitting around to balance the trade, it's not really worth it. If you did sell your phat for market price, then you could be close to enought Pure GP to balance the trade, but I know that you wanted to keep it.

Well, that's less happy news. Don't have enough to balance the trade, unfortunately. I guess I'll just sit on it for the time being and keep an ear to the ground for good deals.

Holding onto rares while you need money has always seemed pointless to me. Why would you hold onto something useless which you'll never be able to sell normally for the "right" price anytime soon? Better actually enjoy your wealth and lose a little bit of value.

Or skip them entirely like me. :)

What an incredibly useful post! You are so awesome!

OT: Anybody have any idea when Santa Hats will stop rising? Been wanting to buy one, but the stupid things just keep on rising. I was able to buy it sometime ago and now I'm 14m short <_<

2j3qh46.jpg

Santa hats arent dropping anytime soon. Not until masks also crash which i doubt. I sniped my santa off the Ge when it was bought out and made a cool 13 mil off it in 7 days. Even if santa and/or mask were to drop in price, they would go down no more than 5 mil at my guesstimates until being bought out again. Im afraid you lost your chance to get one.

Currently:whacking noobs with rubber chicken

F2p and 52 prayer :-P

^^^^ Awesome Video ^^^^

So, how are Staffs of light doing? Ge wise, it looks like it's not major rising, and it's rising everyday so there is definately some form of supply because it's being traded. Has it crashed yet? I've seen a few threads of 'selling Staff of Light trade price!' so I'm slightly confused.

So, how are Staffs of light doing? Ge wise, it looks like it's not major rising, and it's rising everyday so there is definately some form of supply because it's being traded. Has it crashed yet? I've seen a few threads of 'selling Staff of Light trade price!' so I'm slightly confused.

I still find people offering 30M + for them, and I see people trading hooks for Staves of Light, and vice versa.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Staff of Light isn't useful enough to be worth over 10M... Jagex set a good price, in that they wont go up for much longer. I expect a crash in the next week or so. Considering they drop at the same rate as whips, I can't see them ever being worth more than 8M. Sure, they might be more exclusive than whips, but they also have very limited uses.

guido_49.png

Staff of Light isn't useful enough to be worth over 10M... Jagex set a good price, in that they wont go up for much longer. I expect a crash in the next week or so. Considering they drop at the same rate as whips, I can't see them ever being worth more than 8M. Sure, they might be more exclusive than whips, but they also have very limited uses.

not likely because there tasks are less common by far then abyssal Demons and not to mention from what Ive experienced 4 tasks of ice worms in... 70+ tasks compared to the 30 abbys in 70 lol and i have yet to get a staff....

not likely because there tasks are less common by far then abyssal Demons and not to mention from what Ive experienced 4 tasks of ice worms in... 70+ tasks compared to the 30 abbys in 70 lol and i have yet to get a staff....

Lol, your luck sucks. My friend's been getting them by the bunches... I still doubt they'll go anything above 10M in the long run. I just don't see them as being useful enough. Master wand was like 3M before the update, and the SOL (btw, Sol is the name of our sun, and SOL is also an acronym for Staff of Light :D) doesn't offer many new things compared to it. The special is nice, but it doesn't have many practical uses above other special weapons, and the melee attack bonus isn't that special either. The only thing if real value is the +15% bonus and the 1/8 saved runes, which warrants enough for the staff to stay around 10M.

guido_49.png

Does any one think the rares may take a nose dive after the dupe?

Will the masses of unsold bolts be used as bargaining chips?

I have no idea i was just wondering because of my mask set and santa :)

IMO it will cause them to rise.

A lot of the people making a quick buck will have tried to invest in rares, so if/when they get banned they leave the game.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Dupe? What dupe? Have I missed something?

Check out the topic like 2 under this one. In short, people were able to turn 1 dbolt into 12 enchanted dbolts. People were making 60M+ per hour worth and I hear of people with many B worth. Jagex is going into banhammer mode atm so if those abusers bought rares with the GP then those rares are going to leave the game.

Check out the topic like 2 under this one. In short, people were able to turn 1 dbolt into 12 enchanted dbolts. People were making 60M+ per hour worth and I hear of people with many B worth. Jagex is going into banhammer mode atm so if those abusers bought rares with the GP then those rares are going to leave the game.

My guess is that few if any of these accounts bought major rares. As we've discussed many times, a large cash pile does not equal the ability to buy a partyhat. However, it's conceivable that some of these could have bought masks and/or santas. Perhaps that explains the extremely strong buyout of these items that previously had been impossible to buy out for long? Anyway, if a lot of santas and masks disappear, we could end up with a world in which partyhats are not the only rares that can't be bought with gp.

punitivedsig.png

My guess is that few if any of these accounts bought major rares. As we've discussed many times, a large cash pile does not equal the ability to buy a partyhat. However, it's conceivable that some of these could have bought masks and/or santas. Perhaps that explains the extremely strong buyout of these items that previously had been impossible to buy out for long? Anyway, if a lot of santas and masks disappear, we could end up with a world in which partyhats are not the only rares that can't be bought with gp.

That seems very far fetched, but who knows? Any other opinions on santa's? I happened to have picked up 5 at 33m each and not sure what to do with em. I don't want to step into the junk market, but I dont really need the money either, so selling for cash when they peak is not that interesting to me either (well, of course I could rebuy for lower, but then I risk not being able to get some again if they get bought out again). I guess I will just keep em, or do people think that in the long run they will stay under 60m? I always seem to make the wrong decisions with rares so yeah... (sold white phat for 170m half a year ago or so and more of this stuff)

I haven't posted on this forum in probably close to 2 years, and I've barely played RuneScape in that time...but one thing I notice everytime I log in, my Santa Hat just keeps rising and rising in price, which is completely opposite of when I stopped playing, and it's worth just kept dropping. Was there something that happened that made these go up again? and how high is it expected to go? (sorry if this is the wrong forum, but everything has changed around here so much!)

8,539th to 99 cooking!!! Achieved January 17, 2007, one day before I turned 16!

dragonmsanta,benoit4whc.gif

I haven't posted on this forum in probably close to 2 years, and I've barely played RuneScape in that time...but one thing I notice everytime I log in, my Santa Hat just keeps rising and rising in price, which is completely opposite of when I stopped playing, and it's worth just kept dropping. Was there something that happened that made these go up again? and how high is it expected to go? (sorry if this is the wrong forum, but everything has changed around here so much!)

Your santa isn't worth more, GP is worth less. :P

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

The end of free trade and (serious attempt at) RWT saw a LOT of resources and items being dumped into the market. So through 2008 there was a major defaltion. Since then, the market has rebounded normally and has been inflating for quite a while (inflation is normal in a healthy economy). The problem comes with Jagex's implimentation of pure GP rewards into PVP combat. They also reveiled how the system works so there were many people doing what they call '76k-ing' where a person would die holding 76k and the person who killed them got anywhere from 5k-5M. This massive influx of GP into the game without anything leaving caused what players have called 'hyperinflation'. I think over the course of 5 months prices of general things like logs, ores etc jumped up by 50-70%. The items hit the hardest were the discontinued items which people have hoarded since they were introduced, but more people with enough GP to hoard, the more left the 'active' economy to be stashed away in players' banks. There are known to be several players with over 1000 santa hats each, that's how bad hoarding has become.

So yes, even with minor crashes when hoarders sell off some of their stocks the general trend is up...up....and AWAY!

Your santa isn't worth more, GP is worth less. :P

Yes, this too. Take the price of oil IRL as an example. Even though it's becoming more rare and would keep rising, it wouldn't be as bad as it is. The reson it went up so high (this past summer) was because the value of the US$ dropped. Thus it takes more $ to buy the same amount of gas.