Starcraft 2

The Observer

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm working on achievements for the campaign at the moment, on the Zero Hour mission where I have to kill 4 enemy hatcheries on hard.

I started doing this but I got bored kinda quickly. I ended up playing an all-brutal campaign instead (no playing other difficulties for tech or to skip harder missions).

So I'm working on achievements for the campaign at the moment, on the Zero Hour mission where I have to kill 4 enemy hatcheries on hard.

Go mm, go from left to right and just MM your way to victory. Bunker yourself in and add some turrets in the middle and nothing can go in, that one is not that hard.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Go mm, go from left to right and just MM your way to victory. Bunker yourself in and add some turrets in the middle and nothing can go in, that one is not that hard.

Yeah, I know. The first time I tried I went with half my army but I didn't build any extra bunkers or turrets and ended up getting only 3.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

I can't do the crane mission in 10 minutes, keep averaging at about 12. -.-

If you're playing on Hard / Normal, the trick is to push out early. If you're on normal you don't even need extra units, with a bit of micro your starting marines can reach the rebel camp. If you're on hard you might need 2-3 extra marines, but that's about it. Keep churning out SCVs non-stop though, and make sure to get your extra supply depots when you're 3-4 away from the maximum. As long as your SCV production is fairly constant, you should reach 2-3 SCVs per patch pretty easily. That's when you stop. Build a second Barracks when you have the funds in between keeping your marine production up.

You rescue a Barracks with a tech lab, so now you'll have 2 non-stop producing marines, 1 non-stop producing medics (until you run out of gas, then just pump marines. Push hard and fast and you should definitely clear it well before 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, make sure you dispatch the Factory, then the Barracks, then the other buildings. You don't want him to constantly be producing units which will whittle down your force. Don't give up unit production once you attack, just rally all Barracks to the front of the base.

If you're playing on Hard / Normal, the trick is to push out early. If you're on normal you don't even need extra units, with a bit of micro your starting marines can reach the rebel camp. If you're on hard you might need 2-3 extra marines, but that's about it. Keep churning out SCVs non-stop though, and make sure to get your extra supply depots when you're 3-4 away from the maximum. As long as your SCV production is fairly constant, you should reach 2-3 SCVs per patch pretty easily. That's when you stop. Build a second Barracks when you have the funds in between keeping your marine production up.

You rescue a Barracks with a tech lab, so now you'll have 2 non-stop producing marines, 1 non-stop producing medics (until you run out of gas, then just pump marines. Push hard and fast and you should definitely clear it well before 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, make sure you dispatch the Factory, then the Barracks, then the other buildings. You don't want him to constantly be producing units which will whittle down your force. Don't give up unit production once you attack, just rally all Barracks to the front of the base.

Yeah I was doing the factory and barracks in first, but I didn't think that maybe the enemy started from scratch with their forces too, so I was always trying to build up a larger army first. I'll try your tactic next try. :thumbup:

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Yeah I was doing the factory and barracks in first, but I didn't think that maybe the enemy started from scratch with their forces too, so I was always trying to build up a larger army first. I'll try your tactic next try. :thumbup:

They do start with their army, but the key is building your army fast and efficiently. You don't have time to waste building up a massive army, you need to make sure you have just enough troops to bring down their units, and start dishing out damage to their buildings while keeping your unit production up.

I can't play this game cuz my graphics card isn't good enough :(

Any recommendations on to how to get an affordable graphics card that can handle this game? At best buy, all the graphics cards cost more than the game itself :wall:

Your computer must be a little bit ancient. XD

My semi-new laptop was ~$600 and runs Starcraft II just fine. You might be better off just waiting until you're ready to get a new computer.

They do start with their army, but the key is building your army fast and efficiently. You don't have time to waste building up a massive army, you need to make sure you have just enough troops to bring down their units, and start dishing out damage to their buildings while keeping your unit production up.

Aka sometimes all you need is to pressure the enemy instead of a huge army clash. This is very important in multi-player because you would force the other guy to pump army units when they could have macroed better by pumping workers.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I can't play this game cuz my graphics card isn't good enough :(

Any recommendations on to how to get an affordable graphics card that can handle this game? At best buy, all the graphics cards cost more than the game itself :wall:

Your computer must be a little bit ancient. XD

My semi-new laptop was ~$600 and runs Starcraft II just fine. You might be better off just waiting until you're ready to get a new computer.

Naw I got my laptop in late 2008-- it's more than qualified to run the game, minus the graphics card. When I was customizing my laptop, I got the cheapest graphics card available for it :\

used "can you run it?" to see my how my lappy can handle it

capturenl.png

77yLQy8.png

Finally getting this tomorrow, have been playing AI as a guest for a bit but nothing beats playing real people!

It's an awesome game, undoubtably.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Ugh blaze of glory, got within one hundred kills on normal and hard, but got wiped out. askjdshgdsakldhjasdlkasjdljshafkjdhfjkdsf

If you're having difficulty, and you're willing to cheat slightly, use a wall of Dark Templars, backed up by Void Rays. Save after each wave, and if your wall crumbles due to an Overseer, reload your last save and this time, lash out and kill the Overseer before it reaches your wall. Your wall will crumble anyways when mass Overseers come, but if you built up enough cannons and Void Rays, you'll still go down in a blaze of glory, achievement and all. ;)

Plucked up the courage to play my first couple of practice 1v1 games as 'toss.

I LOVE harassing with an observer scout at blink-stalkers... funfunfun :D

played 3, won 2, Lost against a terran player because his cloaked banshees were tearing my probes to shreds :(

Great fun though... can't wait to get into my first few league games :D

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

League is a bit more difficult than the practice matches. :wink:

Still pretty fun nonetheless even though I pretty much suck.

Finally scored gold on all the challenge missions today, they really aren't that hard at all once you find a good strategy to stick with. I did have a few problems with some though, mostly the one with the sentries and high templars, and especially the one where you have to build up a massive army in a short time.

Was worth it though, the portrait is pretty sick.

2czeqeh.jpg

was going to pick this up but i didnt know if my PC would run it well with decent setting these are my system spec anyone know if this could cope?

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 8/14/2010, 08:37:05

Machine name: MAIN-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Vostro 230

BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/18/09 16:16:08 Ver: 08.00.15

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 1241MB used, 2851MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GT 220

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A20&SUBSYS_069A10DE&REV_A2

Display Memory: 1753 MB

Dedicated Memory: 986 MB

Shared Memory: 767 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: DELL 1909W

Monitor Id: DELA03D

Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.5721 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.12.5721

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 6/8/2010 00:57:00, 9712744 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

bickers007.png

You should be able to run the game at decent settings without much choppiness.

Anyone recommend any harassing tips for Terran vs (anything)? I'd like to use vikings, but they seem... out of reach for harassing.

League is a bit more difficult than the practice matches. :wink:

Still pretty fun nonetheless even though I pretty much suck.

Finally scored gold on all the challenge missions today, they really aren't that hard at all once you find a good strategy to stick with. I did have a few problems with some though, mostly the one with the sentries and high templars, and especially the one where you have to build up a massive army in a short time.

Was worth it though, the portrait is pretty sick.

Kerrigan > Spectre. :D

The Terran Macro challenge is actually very easy for any decent Terran player. Psi Storm Assault could be a little frustrating if you didn't save frequently, or didn't notice the little tricks the terrain gives you.

You should be able to run the game at decent settings without much choppiness.

Anyone recommend any harassing tips for Terran vs (anything)? I'd like to use vikings, but they seem... out of reach for harassing.

Terran harass depends greatly upon your opponent and the map.

Look at Terran v Zerg. Hellion harass is a great way to start, but your opponent can beat it by placing spine crawlers, and especially if he transitions to Roach. If he does transition to Roach though, Tier 2 will ilkely be delayed, so Banshee / Viking harassment will be very effective. If he doesn't transition to Roach, he's probably aiming for a Mutalisk transition, in which case you should prepare to set up turrets, and build Thors to back up your Hellions. On Kulas Ravine or Lost Temple though, you have high ground to work with in a lot of places. In this case, Thor and Siege Tank drops backed by Vikings can devastate their expansion.

On the other hand, against Protoss, Hellions and Banshees aren't quite as effective. Fast Stalker is standard against Terran now to stop Reaper, and also punishes Hellion harassment. You're actually better off just pushing early with a small Marauder force. Banshees can be effective as long as your opponent doesn't pull out a Robotics Facility. Once they do, you don't know how many Observers they have and where they are. You can still use Banshees to force them to build more Observers and position them in awkward places, but don't commit to them. Battlecruisers are actually a fairly strong transition if you see a Robotics Facility - use Banshees to force them to position cannons / observers around their own base and mineral line, and pull out a few fast Battlecruisers, which easily clean up gateway and robotics facility units. On the other hand, if you see them going fast Void Rays, hellions do work fairly well as they won't have the money to invest too heavily into Stalkers or upgrades. Hellions, Marines, and Ravens work well in this situation, and auto-turrets can really cause some damage.

Against Terran, harassing tends to be a little bit more difficult, as the 1/1/1 build makes most forms of harassment easy to counter. You can try Banshees to waste their scans, but if they spot your tech lab (I often scan specifically looking for their Starport's add-on when playing TvT) they'll be able to counter it simply with 3-4 missile turrets... which are a good investment anyways because the engineering bay is useful, and the turrets will also deter drops. I typically just try to contain rather than harass in TvT games, as a Marine / Siege Tank / Vikings force is very hard to break without a superior Viking count. Of course, if they're contained, you can expand and increase your own Viking count, and also set up turrets to give your Vikings an edge. Reaper harassment tends to work decently, but the damage to your own economy is typically greater than damage to theirs if they respond well, so it's not worth it.

Tried 2 new DOTA custom maps! Even though I'm not into DOTA, it was interesting to see what the editor could do :)

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Tried 2 new DOTA custom maps! Even though I'm not into DOTA, it was interesting to see what the editor could do :)

I think the editor doesn't follow the actual game's graphic settings, so it sets it to whatever it thinks is best for your computer (which is detrimental to my card). Gonna steer clear of it for now since it keeps crashing my computer.