The Observer

Starcraft 2

Tried 2 new DOTA custom maps! Even though I'm not into DOTA, it was interesting to see what the editor could do :)

I think the editor doesn't follow the actual game's graphic settings, so it sets it to whatever it thinks is best for your computer (which is detrimental to my card). Gonna steer clear of it for now since it keeps crashing my computer.

What does DOTA actually mean? I need to get down with all the terms again lol.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

What does DOTA actually mean? I need to get down with all the terms again lol.

Defense of the Ancients, A warcraft 3 custom map. People have already started making failed attempts with the SC2 editor.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

I jsut lost 5 ladder games in a row and im fuming. I play random and I spawn zerg, my worse race, four time and each time was versus Terran. I can't believe how [bleep]ing imbalanced that matchup is. Zerg is always on the goddamn back foot and has to correctly respond to each thing terran does or else you lose automatically. And the one time terran has to respond (when he sees fast muta), if he has a well placed scout terran can make a [bleep]ing engineering bay and turrets before your mutas can even arrive. I tried everything in that matchup and NOTHING WORKS.

hiccup.png

I jsut lost 5 ladder games in a row and im fuming. I play random and I spawn zerg, my worse race, four time and each time was versus Terran. I can't believe how [bleep]ing imbalanced that matchup is. Zerg is always on the goddamn back foot and has to correctly respond to each thing terran does or else you lose automatically. And the one time terran has to respond (when he sees fast muta), if he has a well placed scout terran can make a [bleep]ing engineering bay and turrets before your mutas can even arrive. I tried everything in that matchup and NOTHING WORKS.

I think you're just bad at Zerg. Or maybe I just get bad Terran opponents. When I play random, I typically have no trouble dealing with Terran as Zerg. Sometimes I just get flat-out outplayed, but that happens with every race for me.

The game is really more balanced than most people want to admit. Maybe right now it looks like Terran has the edge, but throughout the beta I noticed a similar pattern. At the beginning, it was Mutalisks that were widely regarded as "unstoppable." The Stalker really hasn't changed much. Photon Cannons and Missile Turrets barely changed at all. What it took was people realizing that Missile Turrets costing 100 instead of 75 is OK, because they do better now, and Photon Cannons still do their job, and Stalkers were better than everyone gave them credit for. Then there was proxy reapers - the mathematically impossible to stop build. Which of course isn't true anymore since people realized it's perfectly okay to skip the first Zealot and rush to Cybernetics Core, then chrono-boost out a Stalker seconds after the Reaper arrives. There was a Planetary Fortress Rush phase too. And a phase where Psionic Storm was useless. And a phase where Thors were too big to do their job (in fact, Blizzard shrank them, but, ironically enough, I've frequently seen Thors being used to block up choke points such as an opposing ramp during an attack, a purpose for which a larger Thor would actually be better). A phase where Hellions were useless.

The way people play the game changes - people discover new strategies, which in turn, shift the balance of the metagame.

[hide=bigquote]

I think you're just bad at Zerg. Or maybe I just get bad Terran opponents. When I play random, I typically have no trouble dealing with Terran as Zerg. Sometimes I just get flat-out outplayed, but that happens with every race for me.

The game is really more balanced than most people want to admit. Maybe right now it looks like Terran has the edge, but throughout the beta I noticed a similar pattern. At the beginning, it was Mutalisks that were widely regarded as "unstoppable." The Stalker really hasn't changed much. Photon Cannons and Missile Turrets barely changed at all. What it took was people realizing that Missile Turrets costing 100 instead of 75 is OK, because they do better now, and Photon Cannons still do their job, and Stalkers were better than everyone gave them credit for. Then there was proxy reapers - the mathematically impossible to stop build. Which of course isn't true anymore since people realized it's perfectly okay to skip the first Zealot and rush to Cybernetics Core, then chrono-boost out a Stalker seconds after the Reaper arrives. There was a Planetary Fortress Rush phase too. And a phase where Psionic Storm was useless. And a phase where Thors were too big to do their job (in fact, Blizzard shrank them, but, ironically enough, I've frequently seen Thors being used to block up choke points such as an opposing ramp during an attack, a purpose for which a larger Thor would actually be better). A phase where Hellions were useless.

The way people play the game changes - people discover new strategies, which in turn, shift the balance of the metagame.

[/hide]

Try playing as protoss against a bioball :< Damn that stuff is tough to beat, by the time i've teched to collossi, they're all up in my base, killing my guys :(

Still trying to find an effective tactic against the bioball.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

[hide=bigquote]

[/hide]

Try playing as protoss against a bioball :< Damn that stuff is tough to beat, by the time i've teched to collossi, they're all up in my base, killing my guys :(

Psy storm, if your micro can keep up try to feedback on the dropships. Merge your templars into archons and if they get close enough there is going to be terrible terrible damage.

Archons are actually not that bad.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Just had 2 1v1s with a friend, managed to win both. (Neither of us know [cabbage] about playing online) First was Terran vs Protoss, I won with BC's against his mothership/carrier/collosus combo, then second match my Zerg vs his Terran, rushed about 15 mins in with 24 hydras, took out his units, and scvs till he flew away and i spent the next 10 mins searching his flying buildings lol -.-

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Ugh. WTF. I spent like 2 hours playing to get the Terran 10 wins against AI achievement. You actually have to do it in a multiplayer game... GODDAMNIT

[hide=bigquote]

[/hide]

Protoss a fairly easy time against the bio-ball. Zealots do very well against both Marines and Marauders until the period where Marauders have concussive shell, but Zealots don't have charge. Nevertheless, you should be able to hold on until you tech up to Colossi. It sounds like you're teching fairly slowly if you aren't actually reaching Colossi - how are you using your chrono boosts? Do you time your resources so you can start an observer once the Robotics Facility is up, and start your Colossus once the Robotics Facility is done?

Bio-ball is actually not a major threat to Protoss past the early game, and not a major threat in the early game either if you play well at the beginning, managing your resources and limited production time well, and making the most of the units you have. Also, remember that sentries can delay an approaching MM force, can significantly reduce damage from marines, and can split an army giving your Stalkers an easier time. The key to beating Terran bio is the right combination of Sentries/Zealots/Stalkers until you can build Colossus.

[hide=bigquote]

[/hide]

Protoss a fairly easy time against the bio-ball. Zealots do very well against both Marines and Marauders until the period where Marauders have concussive shell, but Zealots don't have charge. Nevertheless, you should be able to hold on until you tech up to Colossi. It sounds like you're teching fairly slowly if you aren't actually reaching Colossi - how are you using your chrono boosts? Do you time your resources so you can start an observer once the Robotics Facility is up, and start your Colossus once the Robotics Facility is done?

Bio-ball is actually not a major threat to Protoss past the early game, and not a major threat in the early game either if you play well at the beginning, managing your resources and limited production time well, and making the most of the units you have. Also, remember that sentries can delay an approaching MM force, can significantly reduce damage from marines, and can split an army giving your Stalkers an easier time. The key to beating Terran bio is the right combination of Sentries/Zealots/Stalkers until you can build Colossus.

I am actually liking immortal and high templar+zealots which works the best for me, merge the templars after they finish storming and they can destroy marines. Immortals eat marauders with their 50 damage per shot and zealots with charge is good fodder.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

[hide=bigquote]

[/hide]

I am actually liking immortal and high templar+zealots which works the best for me, merge the templars after they finish storming and they can destroy marines. Immortals eat marauders with their 50 damage per shot and zealots with charge is good fodder.

Immortals are extremely, extremely vulnerable to Ghosts, because their shields are half their life expectancy against Marauders. 100 Shields absorbs 10 hits, 200 HP = 11 hits, 10 hits if the Marauders have a weapons upgrade (you'd need two armor upgrades to counteract it). High Templars are good, but they're a little bit harder to get onto the field than Colossi due to the two very crucial upgrades. Finally, they share the same weakness as Immortals - a few well placed EMP rounds will pretty much eliminate your High Templars from the battle (note also that after EMP, High Templars die to a single Sniper Round). In other words, if your Immortal/High Templar/Zealot force encounters a Marine/Ghost force, assuming you both manage your units equally well, the Terran player comes out on top. The Archons are no good, because the rest of your army will be destroyed way too quickly.

However, High Templars are a great lategame unit if your opponent persists with bio and doesn't bring out Ghosts. Immortals are probably best brought out instead of Colossi as a faster alternative, depending on what you know about your opponent's army composition.

Played the beta and still didn't get Starcraft 2 yet. Sounds good, but I'll probably wait until the expansion unless I have some extra money around.

j0xPu5R.png

Won some terran kid who didn't even set up his Scanning sweep thing = free banshee kills.

I wonder why they replaced goliaths with the viking? I loved goliaths. :sad:

Worked my way up to silver league and the amount of cheese i get now.. Damn.

I love it when their cheese fails though, theres been plenty of times when they've tried to cannon rush me and I've just completely owned them, One that's pretty hard to counter unless you scout FAST is the proxy reaper rush... that stuff is damn hard to beat properly.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

What about the Reaper bunker strategy?

Playing as Protoss it's a real diffcult one to face.

Probes just don't hit the SCV enough to stop it from building the bunker, with the 2 walls used anyway (and the reaper attacking probes at the same time)... The only counter that seems to work is a real early scout, or to play as zerg.

I hear they're increasing the build time of each a bit? though I havn't actually searched it up. All I can say is I have a friend who is very good at it and has made it to diamond league and still wins most of his matches just by doing it..

Myself I'm more of a typical player just learning the game, getting better though :P

my RL friends often seem to let me down a bit, I usually top the team.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

You realise very quickly that Bronze players are people who are new, want to learn how to play properly and want to get better. Silver is people who cheese all the time to beat the Bronze players. Gold players are good anti-cheesers. Platinum are people who know how to beat the cheese and play well at the same time, and Diamond are just pros.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

and Diamond are just pros.

Even diamond is riddled with noobs. I feel like the leagues just separate who can macro and who can't, while people who actually understand the game and strategies could be in any league. I get lots of people in high diamond that rage because their strategies fail simply because they're terrible strategies.

I'm building a custom computer to run SC2 because I'm tired of lagging when I play team matches. Actually, it's even more of a problem when I lag in 1v1's when we both have 150+ food armies. It's about time too, my computer is about 8 years old with DDR ram and a 2.4 ghz processor :S

hiccup.png

and Diamond are just pros.

Even diamond is riddled with noobs. I feel like the leagues just separate who can macro and who can't, while people who actually understand the game and strategies could be in any league. I get lots of people in high diamond that rage because their strategies fail simply because they're terrible strategies.

I'm building a custom computer to run SC2 because I'm tired of lagging when I play team matches. Actually, it's even more of a problem when I lag in 1v1's when we both have 150+ food armies. It's about time too, my computer is about 8 years old with DDR ram and a 2.4 ghz processor :S

Yeah, I have a friend who is diamond, I played on his account, I got cannon rushed. However, I held it off fine with my mass probe army and then I sent in a few zealots and won. He raged me saying no skill tactic of zealots RIGHT AFTER HE JUST CANNON RUSHED ME.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

the leagues don't signify anything at all, and they certainly don't matter

Based on how you do in your placement matches' date=' which are against a semi-random group of people, you'll be placed somwhere in Bronze through Platinum. However, it's not as simple as 5-0 means plat, 4-1 means gold, etc: it takes into account the ranking of your semi-randomly-selected opponents, so you might go 5-0 and place in gold. You might also go 2-3 and place in gold. You cannot place into Diamond; you have to work your way up. It is pretty much known, though, that you have to lose some games in order to be moved up, since at least one cheating player has gone something like 80-0 and stayed in Platinum.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your league is essentially arbitrary, and doesn't matter in the slightest with regard to who you're playing. Silver players will get matched up against Diamond. It's determined by a ranking calculation Blizzard is apparently keeping next to the nuclear launch codes and the Coke formula. After a semi-random number of "review games," the system will decide whether to move you up, down, or keep you in the same place, where you're winning about 50% of your games. Bonus points, overall number of points, record, record over the last X games, league ranking, division, etc: none of these factor directly in to who you face, as far as we know, so any attempt to game the system is going to end up hurting you.

There are lots of people in lower leagues that almost exclusively play against people in higher leagues, and that's normal. It's matching them up by the internal ranking system, so it's working as intended. If you're a lower league player that's beating those above you, what's the big deal? You're still getting the games you should be.

[/quote']

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

I don't know if anyone here can answer this, but does anyone know if a mothership can mass recall a team member's units?

EDIT: Tested for myself, no they can not, though it would have been a great 2v2 strategy.

Character name: Fizzzard

Code: 344

Region: US

fizzzard.png

66,275th to 99 Cooking 73,802nd to 99 Fletching 8,839th to 99 Smithing 71,320th to 99 Magic

alivepeople.png

I got the instillation disc from my roomate but I dont have the Battlenet Key :(

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

Buy it online or at least get a guest pass. I'd give you one of mine but they're already long gone.

fizzzard.png

66,275th to 99 Cooking 73,802nd to 99 Fletching 8,839th to 99 Smithing 71,320th to 99 Magic

alivepeople.png

I don't even know where mine are (thrown away maybe? I still have the box.)...0

Buy it online or at least get a guest pass. I'd give you one of mine but they're already long gone.

Did, my placement matches sucked. Got put in bronze league >:(

But im working my way up the ladder, almost into the silver league :)

Protoss ftw.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png