Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.it Times 28 March 2010

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Mirror
[ Display Name History ]

Mirror

Use Herring -> Tree

• Members
  • 7,247 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Mirrorforced
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!
A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

Posted Image

Viv
[ Display Name History ]

Viv

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
i never completed my first statue but had fun getting some of the rocks. People kept trying to get new ways to get the rocks faster like crafting one rune at a time for runecrafting and it was sorta community trying to race to get rocks so still all in fun. But yeh updates that don't nerf runescape skills every week are good and shattered heart was one that didnt.

Liked the 2nd article a lot =D

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
I giggled a lot during the second article. Well done mate, that was a funny read. :P

First article has an italics problem:

I assume the italics was meant to end at "Oh well, back to searching..."

Mirror Edit: Fixed, thanks!

hzvjpwS.gif

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D
Both articles this week were pretty well written. Especially liked the second article - puts a moral complex into the situation while remaining light-hearted.

I was also surprised that the reaction from the cosmetic reward was nothing more than people being upset about it. But there is a point to it - if you don't like it, you don't have to do it. Besides, for the most part, getting the rocks required is actually an enjoyable task.

I liked the DYK, too. Seems like that'll come in handy in the future...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Sentry_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Sentry_Wolf

Follower Of The Crate

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
The 2nd article had me in fits of giggles, the mind of our characters are sure in-depth. :P

waheera1
[ Display Name History ]

waheera1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts
Strilmus wrote a very good article for the 2nd, good job. Very entertaining and startlingly close to my own random thoughts at times when I contemplate the monotony of this game!

As for the first, it was well-written and has in fact helped soften my contempt for the Shattered Hearts update, but I'm still a little wary of the idea that updates of a similar nature should become more frequent. If I have to wait 30 weeks to complete a task which governs a minimum of several hours of my relaxation time each week, it ceases to be a relaxing past-time. It is for that reason that I haven't been as devoted as many of my clan friends in the gathering of the rocks. Whilst I don't disagree that it's been relatively well done, for someone like me who doesn't have the time to write-off a few hours a week doing things I don't particularly enjoy, it has a very limited charm.

Don't flame me because I don't like it. To quote the great Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Hawk0078
Loved the second one, those are my favorite kinds of articles, the morally questioning 'but we're in a video game' kind. :thumbsup:

PuppyKing
[ Display Name History ]

PuppyKing

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • RSN:Minergoo
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts
The second article was lulz. :thumbup:

Earth_Poet
[ Display Name History ]

Earth_Poet

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • RSN:Earth Poet
I agree that fun is important in a game; that's fairly obvious. Rewards are nice, too. The article almost polarizes the two concepts. A game can be both fun and rewarding. Usually, when we talk about the relevance of fun it's because it's been stripped of any rewards worth seeking out. It becomes the answer to a frequent question: Why are people still playing this game? It's the last thread left holding any player's interest, and it doesn't take much to snap, usually the next "fun" update. Go ask the people playing in the Games Room about the relevance of fun. Oh yeah....there aren't any.
Posted Image

Gandorf61
[ Display Name History ]

Gandorf61

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,669 posts
  • RSN:Gandorf61
Both great articles. The last one had me laughing too, the last few paragraphs were priceless. :lol:

xxshady
[ Display Name History ]

xxshady

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • RSN:xxshady
First article: Yet another article that tells us what we already know. Its as if the Tip It Times writers get together in a room and find out ways to be as condescending as possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

darkpoet837
[ Display Name History ]

darkpoet837

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • RSN:OneStarkPoet
As a higher level SC rouge, I know your pain, and enjoy it :thumbsup: . Love the humor in that article =D>

For the first article, I really believe fun is more important than rewards. For myself, countless quests with great rewards go unfinished, simply because I dislike questing greatly. The few quests I have done, or started, were to get access to clue scroll spots, with the elf area a glaring exception.

In other words, yes, fun updates rock :thumbup: .
Posted Image

Numismaster
[ Display Name History ]

Numismaster

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • RSN:Numismaster
  • RSN2:Sir Popalot
  • Clan:None
I thoroughly enjoyed both articles.

With regard to the first, I really hope (perhaps wishful thinking) that the general RuneScape population is starting "to get it" when it comes to these updates (a sign of a maturity).

As for the second, very well written and quite entertaining. Best stuff I've read in a while! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work.

~Numismaster~

pgmr185
[ Display Name History ]

pgmr185

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 285 posts
I think that the notion that the lack of outrage is because everyone is starting to "get it" is completely wrong.

My opinion is that people are simple fatigued with constantly fighting an endless battle with Jagex over ill conceived updates. People are just starting to accept the fact that Jagex doesn't (and won't ever) "get it", so they're starting to just give up.

An excited and involved fan-base is vital to the success of the game. The [garden tool]-hum attitude that's been showing lately is actually pretty deadly. If people can no longer be bothered to complain, that means that they no longer have any emotional involvement with the game and have nothing that prevents them from simply moving on.

It's always said that the opposite of love isn't actually hate. The opposite of love is indifference. For the longest time people either loved the game or hated it. Now people just don't care.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

I think that the notion that the lack of outrage is because everyone is starting to "get it" is completely wrong.

My opinion is that people are simple fatigued with constantly fighting an endless battle with Jagex over ill conceived updates. People are just starting to accept the fact that Jagex doesn't (and won't ever) "get it", so they're starting to just give up.

An excited and involved fan-base is vital to the success of the game. The [garden tool]-hum attitude that's been showing lately is actually pretty deadly. If people can no longer be bothered to complain, that means that they no longer have any emotional involvement with the game and have nothing that prevents them from simply moving on.

It's always said that the opposite of love isn't actually hate. The opposite of love is indifference. For the longest time people either loved the game or hated it. Now people just don't care.

I doubt it. As an individual, you might get tired, but as a group....if nothing else, there's always a new batch of people ready to fill in the gap. I think it's just....before Jagex announced there was no "real" reward for the rocks and the house statue...Well....anyone in it just for the reward probably wouldn't of even tried it in the first place. Because, to them, there was no real reward, as none was announced. The general skillers who do it for fun, variety, etc, will continue doing it because, well, it's more fun then grinding one skill I guess. And because you don't really "waste" time getting the rocks, it's just an extra reward to something many people might just be doing anyways.

In conclusion, well...I think the first point about how it

is not an interruptive update

is the real reason no one complained.

The fictional was great. The second last paragraph REALLY made me laugh :)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

yuriqiu
[ Display Name History ]

yuriqiu

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • RSN:Yuriqiu
Last part of the second article. Priceless
Posted Image

A0z9
[ Display Name History ]

A0z9

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:La Vallett1
  • RSN2:La Vallett3
  • Clan:The Scrying Pool
I completely agree with the first article. The second one, I didn't understand it.
La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

Zepheras
[ Display Name History ]

Zepheras

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 655 posts

I doubt it. As an individual, you might get tired, but as a group....if nothing else, there's always a new batch of people ready to fill in the gap. I think it's just....before Jagex announced there was no "real" reward for the rocks and the house statue...Well....anyone in it just for the reward probably wouldn't of even tried it in the first place. Because, to them, there was no real reward, as none was announced. The general skillers who do it for fun, variety, etc, will continue doing it because, well, it's more fun then grinding one skill I guess. And because you don't really "waste" time getting the rocks, it's just an extra reward to something many people might just be doing anyways.

In conclusion, well...I think the first point about how it

is not an interruptive update

is the real reason no one complained.

The fictional was great. The second last paragraph REALLY made me laugh :)

Actually, I think that people would've complained if the final reward was clearly stated as just a completed replica statue at the beginning of the update. It's just that it wasn't stated as so, and all the normal ranters were gone by the time it was revealed, PLUS the fact that some people already speculated that there won't be anything special for completing it, so everyone's who hoping for more also knows deep inside that there's probably nothing in the end.

It's the "I hope there's more but there probably isn't judging by the description of the news page, oh well" feeling, rather than the "Jagex lied!" kind of feeling.
Posted Image

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts
  • RSN:Quelmotz
  • RSN2:Nil
First article was a decent one, but the second article was outstanding. It's very difficult to create a story that is rich in theme yet is funny/interesting in some other way.

Springyguy
[ Display Name History ]

Springyguy

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • RSN:Springy guy
I loved the first article as i probably spend 1/2 my time in minigames or not training anything, which you can propably see from my bad stats, also I got 2 woodcutting stones in under 5mins.

The second article was a great read as it was very different in a good way.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users