12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

@ Omali,

The abyssal whip is a literal intestine from an abyssal demon. You're right in your assumption that penance armor is made from actual penance monster parts. :thumbup:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Omali,

The abyssal whip is a literal intestine from an abyssal demon. You're right in your assumption that penance armor is made from actual penance monster parts. :thumbup:

Ahh, I was thinking it was some part of the abyssal demon, but I was mainly doing this based off of memory and your usual fantasy lore.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

This may sound stupid... but just making sure...

I was correct to keep primal maul over proth rapier?

Yes. The rapier, while fast, isn't the best DPS in the dungeon from my experience, and that's from Primal for both.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Anyone having trouble finding a team or partner, there is a cc called "Team Raiding" that I use to find a team if I ever need one. There's usually quite a few people in the cc willing to team up and answer questions. Oh and first post on tip.it after years of reading the forums and not posting. :smile: There's probably some degrading internet name for people that do that. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forums :).

6zy1xc.png

This is a typical run for us. I clocked this run at about 55 minutes from start to finish. I'm pretty sure 10K an hour is understating the 2:1 tactic, since the people racing on the highscores allegedly use it.

That's terrible, for prestige 35, its around 1 hour 15 minutes for 45-54k xp do large 5 man it's alot better

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

6zy1xc.png

This is a typical run for us. I clocked this run at about 55 minutes from start to finish. I'm pretty sure 10K an hour is understating the 2:1 tactic, since the people racing on the highscores allegedly use it.

That's terrible, for prestige 35, its around 1 hour 15 minutes for 45-54k xp do large 5 man it's alot better

Now I'm wondering how prestige is determined. My guess is, it's a multiplier only. So, that means how does the "base XP" of a dungeon get determined? Is it solely based on the number of rooms you enter? Is it based on the skill level of the various rooms, based off your team's skill level.

Something tells me that the only way to get a good gauge on what experience a typical floor will give can only be determined if someone does the following:

1. Start off at Prestige 0, best as a team but simple difficulty.

2. Complete each floor and as many rooms as you can. Note the number of rooms you can actually enter.

3. Note the Prestige and Floor base XP. Note it for ALL members of the team.

4. See if there's a correlation.

Then again, it could be each individual room is determined by what's needed to enter it ie it's the doors that are creating the the XP in all of this. If that's the case, this will get a lot more complicated. Reason being, are guardian door XP based off the levels of the guardian? Are skill door XP based off the skill level of the door? Are challenge door XP (not skill level based) just determined by the challenge? Course with that, you get to find out what the "Boss Exit Door" xp happens to be. Seeing you get a 1/6th penalty for not exiting a dungeon, that may be the highest XP door.

So, you get a Floor or Prestige multiplier, that's multiplied against the XP of any door on that dungeon you can open. Then there's any mulitplier at the end that offer minor boosts.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Yes. The rapier, while fast, isn't the best DPS in the dungeon from my experience, and that's from Primal for both.

What exactly is the "best" weapon type, then? (Unless there's no best...)

I'm guessing the longsword is the best 1-handed weapon, and the spear the best 2-handed weapon.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

What exactly is the "best" weapon type, then? (Unless there's no best...)

I'm guessing the longsword is the best 1-handed weapon, and the spear the best 2-handed weapon.

I'm playing the F2P version, and so far most weapons have been pretty decent for their role. Dungeoneer longswords, battleaxes and warhammers are actually equally fast, so damage-wise they're almost the same. I expect 2h swords and mauls, with speed of a normal battleaxe, to be pretty popular with members since their monster can be a bit tougher. Daggers and spears can be poisoned, and even on F2P spears are pretty decent to use to switch the battle styles about. I keep switching my weapons around for the looks. :grin:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

To everyone who is defending the classification of Dung as a skill, let me ask this one question: If Dung had been released simply as a mini-game, and there was no previous discussion from Jagex about the release of a new skill, how many of you would be clamoring, demanding even, that Dung be reclassified as a skill instead of a mini-game?

**crickets**

I thought so.

Oh man please please please do not restart this arguement. For the love of Lord Helmet, please do not restart the debate.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

To everyone who is defending the classification of Dung as a skill, let me ask this one question: If Dung had been released simply as a mini-game, and there was no previous discussion from Jagex about the release of a new skill, how many of you would be clamoring, demanding even, that Dung be reclassified as a skill instead of a mini-game?

**crickets**

I thought so.

Sorry, but they aren't going to change it, ever. Get over it, it's all you can do.

Also, anyone know what some of the dungeoneering changes today are?

Quick find code: 15-16-957-60850086

greenmelf.png

**crickets**

I thought so.

Would you ask your team to put so much effort into designing so many items, come up with a 60 level dungeon, with over 10 different bosses, for a minigame? The point is that once you set your goal to make a piece of content a skill or a minigame, you create enough content for its respective role. As a skill lots more oppotunities can be created, such as incorporating Qeltar's ideas of affecting your abilities in other dungeons, lores to improve the RuneScape storyline, greater rewards to players to train in it, possibly other locations to train.

As a minigame, it would have been silly to spend 6 years worth of development time, or include so many important (and untradeable) rewards such that players feel that they're being forced to play a minigame (compared to being forced to train a skill). Jagex would have been better off marketing it as a different game with different storyline.

Oh man please please please do not restart this arguement. For the love of Lord Helmet, please do not restart the debate.

Too late, prepare to see another 10 pages of this! :twisted:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

**crickets**

I thought so.

This argument doesn't work. If it was released as a minigame, people would discuss it as a minigame. On the other hand, when released as a skill, people have expectations. They know what a normal skill is like, and they will compare and debate. Again, released as a minigame there nothing to complain about. It's awesome like a minigame, but right now dungeoneering is too empty (not in content) to be viewed as a skill by some.

**crickets**

I thought so.

This belongs to my dungeoneering minigame argument in Debate Club.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Wow I drank a magic potion and it boosted my Magic by 25 levels. That's a 75% damage boost! Stack it with a 30% damage boost staff, and you'll have a 105% damage boost!

I'm confused about prestige. As of now I'm level 38 in Dungeoneering so I have one more level to go until I can enter the next floor. What I am doing right now is clearing floor 19 over and over (and resetting after every completed floor) until I've advanced a level. Am I doing it the right way?

does anyone else think it's unfair how you can make mage and melee gear, but not mage?

same thing goes with non-dungeoneering

Erm...you can? Those weedy flowers you see are supposed to be spun on the wheel to make cloth and mage robes.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

does anyone else think it's unfair how you can make mage and melee gear, but not mage?

same thing goes with non-dungeoneering

Typo? Do you mean you are having a problem with players not be able to make mage armor with non-d'eering?

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

My point is that if Dung was a skill, in the accepted meaning of a skill in Runescape, it would be recognized by the users as a skill regardless of its classification. The ONLY reason that Dung is considered a skill is because Jagex has labeled it as such, not because of its play and effect. The fact that Dung would not be recognized as a skill for any reason other than Jagexs labeling it as such means that, based on its game play, it is not a skill and only a mini-game.

Again, if Dung had been released as a mini-game only, do any of you really believe that you would see one, even ONE, post on the forums insisting that it should be classified as a skill? I dont think so.

Many of you are making the skill vs. mini-game debate too complicated. Does it play and feel like all the other skills? If so, it is a skill. Does it play and feel like all the other mini-games? If so, it is a mini-game. What Jagex wants to call it does not affect your experience. If you called a dogs tail a leg, how many legs would it have? Four! Calling a tail a leg does not make it one.

My point is that if Dung was a skill, in the accepted meaning of a skill in Runescape, it would be recognized by the users as a skill regardless of its classification. The ONLY reason that Dung is considered a skill is because Jagex has labeled it as such, not because of its play and effect. The fact that Dung would not be recognized as a skill for any reason other than Jagexs labeling it as such means that, based on its game play, it is not a skill and only a mini-game.

Again, if Dung had been released as a mini-game only, do any of you really believe that you would see one, even ONE, post on the forums insisting that it should be classified as a skill? I dont think so.

Many of you are making the skill vs. mini-game debate too complicated. Does it play and feel like all the other skills? If so, it is a skill. Does it play and feel like all the other mini-games? If so, it is a mini-game. What Jagex wants to call it does not affect your experience. If you called a dogs tail a leg, how many legs would it have? Four! Calling a tail a leg does not make it one.

This argument applies to slayer, too. :rolleyes:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Look, there isn't much use arguing about this because Jagex is not going to change the classification. At this point, any argument over the classification of dungeoneering is irrelevant.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

Wow I drank a magic potion and it boosted my Magic by 25 levels. That's a 75% damage boost! Stack it with a 30% damage boost staff, and you'll have a 105% damage boost!

I'm confused about prestige. As of now I'm level 38 in Dungeoneering so I have one more level to go until I can enter the next floor. What I am doing right now is clearing floor 19 over and over (and resetting after every completed floor) until I've advanced a level. Am I doing it the right way?

No. Resetting after every time you complete a floor gives you the worst xp possible, aside from not completing a floor.

In-fact its the same exact xp as if you had not reset anything at all, since you are basically getting 0 prestige bonus for resetting. Basically your getting around 25% of your possible xp for that round by resetting that way.

There was another thread somewhere that explained how prestige worked, but the basics is, do each floor that you can once (From floor 1-20.. ect), and then and ONLY then do you hit reset. If you hit reset before you complete all the rooms you can, your xp will be reduced to what you could be earning.

**crickets**

I thought so.

Utter rubbish. Dungeoneering is a quest. You have to interact with NPCs, kill boss monsters, solve puzzles and use all your skills to overcome obstacles. It even has specific skill requirements in each dungeon and you have to make special items that can't be used in the rest of RS. Quod Erat Doofustradum.

Also, Dungeoneering is a kumquat. Parts of it are round and orange and make me think of fruit. I have thousands of people who agree with that, they just seem to be elsewhere right now.

I wonder if the point of this mockery will get through?

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010

My point is that if Dung was a skill, in the accepted meaning of a "skill" in Runescape, it would be recognized by the users as a skill regardless of its classification. The ONLY reason that Dung is considered a skill is because Jagex has labeled it as such, not because of its play and effect. The fact that Dung would not be recognized as a skill for any reason other than Jagex's labeling it as such means that, based on its game play, it is not a skill and only a mini-game.

Can you imagine if they had applied the same methodology to evil trees?

It could have been a skill named Malumarboretum. The Taverly Druids could have found a hidden passage under Guthixhenge leading to underground caverns full of tormented, malevolent trees from the Old Wood. We could have seen experience tiers determining which trees could be chopped. We could have had a cape for it!

By golly, it would have been a real bonafide skill and not a diversion. :razz:

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Do you think that this skill was a good way to give some unique activities to do with 99 skills without disrupting the RS society? (I mean, without making people feel constrained to the point where they HAVE to get a 99?)

It's a nice side benefit, but it's not anything earth-shattering. The lack of applicability to the rest of the game makes the appeal somewhat limited. There is also the team aspect that to some extent makes high level players in groups subject to a lot of "assist requesting". And the boosting potions are far more powerful than outside: with the right potion, an 88 is a 99.

What I meant was, do you think that the fact that these applications ARE isolated could be a good thing?

For example: if we released new things that only people with 99 runecrafting could make and use in the Runescape world, I would think this is a little ridiculous as RC is very slow and it is somewhat unfair to expect most of your players to want to do that. I mean, take overloads for example. Benefit of having a skill at 95, and the potions are untradeable, and it made herb prices really skyrocket.

I mean, obviously, it is good to have high-level requirements, but do you think that we will ever get to the point where we see a level 99 herblore potion? Or was the isolated world of demononheim a smart place to include level 99+ requirements for things?

Before Demonheim we didnt really have things to do with our 99s. Now almost every skill has a use for 99 (or HIGHER for some doors), but because it was isolated in the instanced dungeon, it hasn't made 50% of the RS population start training smithing. Do you think this is a good or bad thing?

I guess the question is: if they took all the level 99 stuff in demonheim and put it into the RS world instead, would this be a good or bad thing?

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON