12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

Yesterday we were talking about prestige and intrinsic versus extrinsic ways of getting players to do lower level content. Amusingly, Jagex themselves have provided an excellent counterpoint to prestige with their update today.

Prestige comes across as punitive to many players, because the penalty is so harsh for redoing deeper floors that it almost never makes sense to do it. Thus, many players feel they are being forced to redo lower level content.

The Slayer challenges are, IMNSVHO, the *right* way to get people to re-explore lower level content. There's now a reason for players who used to "camp" Kuradal to try lower level Slayer masters. And the feature is implemented so it comes across as a carrot instead of a stick.

This could be done in Dungeoneering by adding small rewards that are given at random, where the chance is based on the difference between prestige level and the current level you are doing. Or any of a million other ways.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday we were talking about prestige and intrinsic versus extrinsic ways of getting players to do lower level content. Amusingly, Jagex themselves have provided an excellent counterpoint to prestige with their update today.

Prestige comes across as punitive to many players, because the penalty is so harsh for redoing deeper floors that it almost never makes sense to do it. Thus, many players feel they are being forced to redo lower level content.

The Slayer challenges are, IMNSVHO, the *right* way to get people to re-explore lower level content. There's now a reason for players who used to "camp" Kuradal to try lower level Slayer masters. And the feature is implemented so it comes across as a carrot instead of a stick.

This could be done in Dungeoneering by adding small rewards that are given at random, where the chance is based on the difference between prestige level and the current level you are doing. Or any of a million other ways.

Or they could just let you choose the monster scaling and replace the base floor exp value with that, then you'd get variety of the levels without the current exp reduction of lower levels because you could choose to have floor 35 scaled monsters on floor 1 and not need to reduce exp for easy monsters, much more easy.

greenmelf.png

So the live Q&A starts in 30 minutes, anybody here going to ask any questions?

Of course, such as when is batch two coming.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Wow I drank a magic potion and it boosted my Magic by 25 levels. That's a 75% damage boost! Stack it with a 30% damage boost staff, and you'll have a 105% damage boost!

I'm confused about prestige. As of now I'm level 38 in Dungeoneering so I have one more level to go until I can enter the next floor. What I am doing right now is clearing floor 19 over and over (and resetting after every completed floor) until I've advanced a level. Am I doing it the right way?

mage pots don't boost your damage in the dungeon (or at least not as much as they should). I had my 30% boost staff + super magic pot and didn't hit anything out of the ordinary

77yLQy8.png

I doubt they will answer time specific questions.

I'm going to just ask a bunch of obvious questions,

-Will there be floors after 35?

-Will there be dungeons outside of daemonheim?

-Will there be new boss monsters outside of the dungeoneering skill that require a dun level to defeat?

-Why is dungeoneering the only skill to go to 120 even though you said you didnt plan on making anymore 120 skills?

2czeqeh.jpg

I doubt they will answer time specific questions.

I'm going to just ask a bunch of obvious questions,

-Will there be floors after 35?

-Will there be dungeons outside of daemonheim?

-Will there be new boss monsters outside of the dungeoneering skill that require a dun level to defeat?

-Why is dungeoneering the only skill to go to 120 even though you said you didnt plan on making anymore 120 skills?

You are going to get pretty obvious answers though, I am going to try asking questions that are not so obvious such as will the item skins released such as the armor and weapons. The weapon speed of longsword/warhammer is the same in D'eering, are you using Daemonhelm as a beta test for a possible future combat triangle balance?

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

What I meant was, do you think that the fact that these applications ARE isolated could be a good thing?

The benefits of having 99 are fairly limited here, not just because of the segregation, but because you usually don't need 99s even in Daemonheim. That's a sort of inherent limitation on the appeal of 99s. I think they could make rewards outside Dungeoneering that are similarly limited for balance but have wider applicability.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Posted six questions in two post. This is insane, there's 8+ pages within 20 seconds.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

The first answer...

Do you plan on realeasing new dungeons(separate) to daemonheim...

-bow to james

There is currently no plan to release Dungeoneering dungeons outside of Daemonheim.

... That doesn't mean it won't happen though. Get your suggestions in at the Suggestions forum.

...Damn.

2czeqeh.jpg

The first answer...

-bow to james

There is currently no plan to release Dungeoneering dungeons outside of Daemonheim.

... That doesn't mean it won't happen though. Get your suggestions in at the Suggestions forum.

...Damn.

Woohoo! A reason to train the skill! :roll:

The first answer...

-bow to james

...Damn.

I thought that was pretty obvious, considering the all the time effort put into this one. Daemonheim will last a good while before people start screaming for another dungeon, so it's best to free up all the resources for stuff like quests and skill upgrades.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Daemonhelm is not even completed yet, is going to be a long time(like two years) for a new dungeon.

11-1.jpg[

Wow I drank a magic potion and it boosted my Magic by 25 levels. That's a 75% damage boost! Stack it with a 30% damage boost staff, and you'll have a 105% damage boost!

I'm confused about prestige. As of now I'm level 38 in Dungeoneering so I have one more level to go until I can enter the next floor. What I am doing right now is clearing floor 19 over and over (and resetting after every completed floor) until I've advanced a level. Am I doing it the right way?

mage pots don't boost your damage in the dungeon (or at least not as much as they should). I had my 30% boost staff + super magic pot and didn't hit anything out of the ordinary

I think you're right. I just finished a floor with a friend. We both fire surged ourselves through the floors (which went insanely fast) and I was wielding an empowered fire staff and had drank a strong magic potion, yet I didn't hit over 358. I'm guessing the damage boosts are capped at 25-30% combined or something.

A question to everyone: in most screenshots being posted so I only see that everyone is meleeing in the dungeon. But why? Magic is extremely accurate there if you're casting fire surge and it's a lot faster than meleeing everything. Although some of the bosses have an insane magic defence, such as Stomp.

Mors Ferres asked:

Do you plan to change dungeoneering to make it more "skillish" inside Runescape?

e.g. add new dungeons/new areas to preexisting dungeons that require a dungeoneering level to access?

Or do you plan to keep the minigame feel and comparative uselessness to the actual game that it currently has?

------

Thanks for your question.

Without giving too much away, there is definitely more to come in regards to updates around the Dungeoneering skill, including how it will tie in with the rest of the outside world of RuneScape.

Interesting......

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

This is the first time I managed to post a question for a live Q and A session, and it's a good thing I typed out my questions in advance. It's supposed to be 2 hours long, but the question thread was only opened for like, 5-10 minutes for players to post?

Zepheras.png

-F1775

This is the first time I managed to post a question for a live Q and A session, and it's a good thing I typed out my questions in advance. It's supposed to be 2 hours long, but the question thread was only opened for like, 5-10 minutes for players to post?

Nah, Mod Kat stated in her post that she is locking the thread until the developers catch up. Is pretty fair, I mean there are near 300 posts in 5 minutes.

11-1.jpg[

"1) Is it possible to have multiple gem/coal bags at the same time?

1. You can only have one of each at a time. (Although I have to admit that my memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment and I don't have access to the script to double check at the time, but both Chris L and I are fairly sure they did end up being unique.)

One gem bag is sufficient, since it hold 100 gems. But one coal bag that holds only 27 coal seems pretty weak.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Something I noticed- you can only have dungeoneering objective as a member- Jagex thinks it's members only skill- yay!

Its been said to be a bug I believe.... sure its not fixed now?

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

I think you're right. I just finished a floor with a friend. We both fire surged ourselves through the floors (which went insanely fast) and I was wielding an empowered fire staff and had drank a strong magic potion, yet I didn't hit over 358. I'm guessing the damage boosts are capped at 25-30% combined or something.

A question to everyone: in most screenshots being posted so I only see that everyone is meleeing in the dungeon. But why? Magic is extremely accurate there if you're casting fire surge and it's a lot faster than meleeing everything. Although some of the bosses have an insane magic defence, such as Stomp.

Easy answer:

Melee is most easy to get: I can bind all I ever need for dungeons (pro plate + gorg spear). And now I never have to bother picking up anything else than food anymore. - Only at very hard bosses I go make stuff.

With magic you at least need to make extra runes (bind 125 combat runes + get 1 type of runes from staff). Which slows you down considerably. - Another point is that with melee I can rush through the dungeon: not worrying about being hit, yet with mage armour I can't rush past thrower trolls and the like...- Slowing you down a lot.

Range is also difficult to use, not because you can't bind stuff (you can bind a bow + body), but because of the stupidity of the average scaper.. Everybody seems too dumb to place traps to catch the -matix monsters..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.