= New Chaotic Items =

killmenub

In essence, I believe you are saying generalizations can't be made. Correct?

If so, I agree with you. One can THEORIZE, but can't be DOGMATIC about halving all damage, or doing extra damage. We DON'T KNOW yet. Its seems a fair bet that damage is halved, if those vids prove anything, but it really all depends on how Jagex classifies the damage multiplier.

Hit the nail on the head.

Also, the "vids" is really just one vid... and only pertaining to the Leaf-Bladed Sword. Which doesn't answer anything with regards to magic (I've tried testing this myself, never once hit the darn beast), hastas (spears-but-not-really-spears), and other non "standard" weapons (rapiers, flails, anchors).

The only one that's actually been 100% proven is the Dark Bow...

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly sure that the rapiers in Dungeoneering are equivalent to short swords in RuneScape. Just throwin' that out there...

We are also told their stats. Assuming they are the same speed inside the dungeon and outside, they are whip speed. Which makes whip/Saradomin Sword inferior. However; It takes many hours (like getting several sets of void in terms of time) to get so it wouldn't cause too much effect on those weapons. Elysian is feeling the effects of the new shields though; They are being panic sold right now, not sure about prices yet though.

EDIT: my bad, it was a swh, same difference, swh can easilly hit 58s

corp halves non spears, end of

Actually, what you've shown is Corp might halve Leaf-Bladed Swords and Vesta Long Swords. That says absolutely nothing about others.

What about the Hasta? I know no one uses it, but it's a one-handed spear. The word Hasta is latin for Spear. What classifies a weapon as a "spear" and what doesn't?

I know there's a 50% damage reduction in place, primarily because Dark Bow special attack damage is halved. But we don't know what it effects, and "non-spears" is most certainly wrong. Doesn't poison work to full effect? Poison is not a spear. I also remember using the Dragon Dagger on the Corp a long time ago to decent effect.

It could effect Hastas. It might not. It could affect Rapiers. It could not.

It could even be a given list of weapons, in which case, Jagex may or may not have added the new Chaotic Weapons to that list. For all you know, the Chaotic Longsword could do double damage to the Corp...

I'd also like to point out I've heard a million forms of this. Some people say it halves range damage. Some people say it halves non-spears. Some people say it halves STABBING non-spears. Some people say it halves Swords and Longswords.

Hastas get reduced too, if it literally has the word "spear" in it it doesn't get reduced, or you would be seeing hasta + shield over lbs

Poison is not a weapon

Hastas get reduced, and surely rapiers will too

For all you know Chaotic Longsword may hit 10x higher on all dragons, still doesn't mean its going to happen

Do you actually have proof that Hasta's get reduced? I don't see videos of it anywhere.

What about rapiers? There already ARE rapiers in this game. Have they actually been tried?

And we've only recently gotten a melee weapon that gets a nice damage and attack bonus against Dagannoths - Balmung. It's quite possible, especially as they have no special attack, that the Chaotic Weapons may get a bonus somewhere... why not against the Corporeal Beast?

I think I'm going to have to go with the dude that no-lifes Corp... :D

If stabbing weapons weren't halved, we'd be seeing people using VLS + Divine to solo 2 kills/trip at corp, easily covering the cost of a non-corrupt VLS. Never tried it myself, but I'll just assume it halves everything but spears. I've tried Dragon Hally, and it definitely gets reduces, so that's all I can say.

guido_49.png

Actually, what you've shown is Corp might halve Leaf-Bladed Swords and Vesta Long Swords. That says absolutely nothing about others.

What about the Hasta? I know no one uses it, but it's a one-handed spear. The word Hasta is latin for Spear. What classifies a weapon as a "spear" and what doesn't?

I know there's a 50% damage reduction in place, primarily because Dark Bow special attack damage is halved. But we don't know what it effects, and "non-spears" is most certainly wrong. Doesn't poison work to full effect? Poison is not a spear. I also remember using the Dragon Dagger on the Corp a long time ago to decent effect.

It could effect Hastas. It might not. It could affect Rapiers. It could not.

It could even be a given list of weapons, in which case, Jagex may or may not have added the new Chaotic Weapons to that list. For all you know, the Chaotic Longsword could do double damage to the Corp...

I'd also like to point out I've heard a million forms of this. Some people say it halves range damage. Some people say it halves non-spears. Some people say it halves STABBING non-spears. Some people say it halves Swords and Longswords.

Hastas get reduced too, if it literally has the word "spear" in it it doesn't get reduced, or you would be seeing hasta + shield over lbs

Poison is not a weapon

Hastas get reduced, and surely rapiers will too

For all you know Chaotic Longsword may hit 10x higher on all dragons, still doesn't mean its going to happen

Do you actually have proof that Hasta's get reduced? I don't see videos of it anywhere.

What about rapiers? There already ARE rapiers in this game. Have they actually been tried?

And we've only recently gotten a melee weapon that gets a nice damage and attack bonus against Dagannoths - Balmung. It's quite possible, especially as they have no special attack, that the Chaotic Weapons may get a bonus somewhere... why not against the Corporeal Beast?

I think I'm going to have to go with the dude that no-lifes Corp... :D

If stabbing weapons weren't halved, we'd be seeing people using VLS + Divine to solo 2 kills/trip at corp, easily covering the cost of a non-corrupt VLS. Never tried it myself, but I'll just assume it halves everything but spears. I've tried Dragon Hally, and it definitely gets reduces, so that's all I can say.

We know for a FACT that dbow gets halved. Ruby (e) bolts don't hit the 4000 that they should. They hit 1000's instead. This will be 'an exception'. We can be pretty certain that leaf bladed swords are halved too from the vid, there were probably what, 400 hits on the Corporeal beast? None hit anything above half of the max damage they could hit, thus it's reasonable to theorise they are halved. For Vesta's Longsword... Hard to 'prove' but the theory of corporeal beast halving all non spear damage seems to apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4T_EaA0kI

I can't monitor the whole thread, but in terms of what weapon to buy first I think you need to look at it this way.

What will you use it mostly for?

Maul for high hits = PVP

Rapier for fastest dps = trainning

Longsword fast dps and very good base stats = mix of pvp and trainning imo.

I'll no doubt be buying the longsword first. Then a sheild after.

Rofl, have you ever pked my friend? Maul with no special will be crap. Fast medium hits that outhit your opponents food > High slow hits that your enemy can eat away from. Ever seen a whip where it combo's 5 40+ hits in a row? gl eating that out.

regular pking != friendly dms where people dont run when they run out of food

and for those who bashed the guy saying corp halves non spears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZcoi9wiSRc

I don't think the max you can hit is 22 if there is no reduction, when you can punch 30s in that gear

1:17, one of them hits a 29. They even mention it in chat.

If it truly halves damage, that means you hit 58s with Leaf-bladed sword... I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think I've hit a 58 on Corp even with a Zamorakian Spear.

EDIT: Going through the video again, his gear seems as follows:

Helm of Neitiznot (+3) Dragon Boots (+4) Berserker Ring (+4 or +8) Amulet of Fury (+8) Fire Cape (+4) Gloves (+12) Dragonfire Shield (+7) Leaf-Bladed Sword (+50)

This yields either +96 or +92 strength bonus. Aggressive, Extreme Strength, and Piety yields a max hit of 419 / 408, which would be a 41 or 40. Factoring in Turmoil, the real max hit is probably 42 to 45. Obviously, it wasn't halved, because this is nowhere close to 58.

Uhm I went corping the day it came out: and hitted well over 30 with my whip!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I can't monitor the whole thread, but in terms of what weapon to buy first I think you need to look at it this way.

What will you use it mostly for?

Maul for high hits = PVP

Rapier for fastest dps = trainning

Longsword fast dps and very good base stats = mix of pvp and trainning imo.

I'll no doubt be buying the longsword first. Then a sheild after.

Rofl, have you ever pked my friend? Maul with no special will be crap. Fast medium hits that outhit your opponents food > High slow hits that your enemy can eat away from. Ever seen a whip where it combo's 5 40+ hits in a row? gl eating that out.

regular pking != friendly dms where people dont run when they run out of food

and for those who bashed the guy saying corp halves non spears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZcoi9wiSRc

I don't think the max you can hit is 22 if there is no reduction, when you can punch 30s in that gear

1:17, one of them hits a 29. They even mention it in chat.

If it truly halves damage, that means you hit 58s with Leaf-bladed sword... I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think I've hit a 58 on Corp even with a Zamorakian Spear.

EDIT: Going through the video again, his gear seems as follows:

Helm of Neitiznot (+3) Dragon Boots (+4) Berserker Ring (+4 or +8) Amulet of Fury (+8) Fire Cape (+4) Gloves (+12) Dragonfire Shield (+7) Leaf-Bladed Sword (+50)

This yields either +96 or +92 strength bonus. Aggressive, Extreme Strength, and Piety yields a max hit of 419 / 408, which would be a 41 or 40. Factoring in Turmoil, the real max hit is probably 42 to 45. Obviously, it wasn't halved, because this is nowhere close to 58.

Still, were you soloing? If you werent, how can you be sure the 30 was your hit?

Why argue against fact? Seriously, if you want proof, solo Corporeal beast yourself and see how well you hit.

What "fact"? I've heard many, many different statements of what this damage reduction does. "Spear" isn't clear at all. To my knowledge, there's no reason to believe (or to believe otherwise) that weapons are given specific classifications. So what defines a spear? Is it the word "spear" in the name?

Does that mean if tomorrow, a Jagex employee instructed to change "Zamorakian Spear" to "Spear of Zamorak" accidentally types "Spaer of Zamorak", that weapon would now suffer a 50% damage penalty?

If it's a type, then what type is a Rapier? Has there been a class for a Rapier ever since the first (and to my knowledge, only, until Dungeoneering) for years? For just this one weapon? Is it a sword? Is it a longsword? What type is a Hasta? What type is a Barrelchest Anchor? What type is the Staff of Light?

Like I said, I've heard those who hunt the Corporeal Beast say it's "all non-spear stabbing attacks." I've heard some say "all non-spear attacks." I've also heard "Range, longsword, and swords."

All that is "fact" is that the Corporeal Beast applies a 50% damage penalty to the Dark Bow. And that it very likely applies to Leaf-Bladed Sword and Vesta's Longsword, when stabbing. That doesn't explain what exactly is in effect, nor does it say anything as to how it effects the new weapons.

Semantics...

287b5w.jpg

Semantics...

Dismissive much?

You can't tell me what will and won't work if you don't even know how the effect works. You can guess, you can theorize, and you may be able to prove it to a certain significance level, but that's all.

Like I said, vesta longsword being halved is all but proved. I tested it myself.

You can't prove it as fact, only to a certain significance level. Would it be overreaching to request the actual significance level used in the testing, and the data?

I fail to see why the hell this conversation over the Corporeal Beast halving damage or not is still going on. Make your own damn thread about it if it matters so much. I liked to read about the Chaotic weapons on this thread, not about the efficiency of weapons on a certain boss.

Which of the 3 shields do you all think is best?

I'm repeating myself here, but I like the Eagle Eye best. Magic defense is so crucial.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I'm repeating myself here, but I like the Eagle Eye best. Magic defense is so crucial.

I feel like I would have to still choose the chaotic shield. It depends what you do, of course, but magic defence is still only important in a few situations.

How do you guys think the chaotic (or any of those shields for that matter) would compare to divine?

Since I have divine, my first priority once I am able to purchase chaotic items will be a weapon. Probably longsword or rapier; not sure. My second item (and one that seems to be overlooked) will be the chaotic crossbow. A crossbow better than rune would be amazing. Just imagine it at armadyl or something...

I'm gonna have to agree on this. Mainly because the only time I really use a shield is at agw.

Am I wrong to think that the chaotic staff is very underwhelming? It has has a +1 accuracy advantage over a SoL, but without the rune saving and special, plus it's much more costly to both obtain and use. The chaotic crossbow could be slightly better, too, IMO. Maybe a +105 attack bonus.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Still, were you soloing? If you werent, how can you be sure the 30 was your hit?

I wasn't sure.. But we all wielded whips, as it was the most versatile weapon right then (remember it was the first or second day the beast came out, so we went with 8 people and didn't get him killed)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I fail to see why the hell this conversation over the Corporeal Beast halving damage or not is still going on. Make your own damn thread about it if it matters so much. I liked to read about the Chaotic weapons on this thread, not about the efficiency of weapons on a certain boss.

So true.

IGN: HesFearless.

-Jamie

I feel like I would have to still choose the chaotic shield. It depends what you do, of course, but magic defence is still only important in a few situations.

How do you guys think the chaotic (or any of those shields for that matter) would compare to divine?

Since I have divine, my first priority once I am able to purchase chaotic items will be a weapon. Probably longsword or rapier; not sure. My second item (and one that seems to be overlooked) will be the chaotic crossbow. A crossbow better than rune would be amazing. Just imagine it at armadyl or something...

I actually think the chaotic shields are comparable to divine. Sure, the damage reduction is significantly less, but the prayer drain on divine is also pretty significant. I just like the idea of reducing damage without having to consume something in my inventory.

If you have all 3 shields, you can alternate which shield which you want in which scenario. Using the most relevant shield in each scenario, I'd say the net benefit is better than that of an elysian. Ely's stats arent as amazing as these (basically arcane + spectral + super dfs with damage reduction)

Melee defense rarely matters in PvM (barrows is like the only boss where melee defense is that releveant), and I doubt you're going to be able to use it in dangerous PvP (too much risk). I can see it being very useful for safe PvP maging, though.

Only other application of melee defense is slayer, but no need to get such an expensive shield just for that.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Well the eagle eye shield is useless. Spectral is better than it. It doesn't block 20% of all mage damage, it blocks 20% of all mage damage that hits over 200 and rarely do PvM monsters hit that high. The one that blocks range is the most useful, as Graardor often hits over 200 with his range attack, but I think the maul would be better suited for him.

@sseli

While the shields are really good Ely still has the advantage over these because it can be used in every situation regardless of combat type. If you want good protection from all 3 triangle types you'll need 3 shields, and that takes up space. You have have to switch to them, which would imply you know what your opponent is going to use and that is very unlikely to happen if they can switch quickly.

But of the 3 chaos shields, I lean towards the melee one simply because melee has a higher hit. Spectral is still better than the chaos range shield, as +5 range means very little compared to like 200 range bonus of arma. The ONLY place and time I would ever use a chaos range shield is at solo Arma, simply because most of the damage there is mage based, and every range bonus counts at solo Arma. Even then, its a tossup to how effective it would be as her mage doesn't hit hit above 200 that frequently.

It's just my personal opinion, but i feel melee is by far the best of the 3 because most people use melee and can hit very high with it. Even level 80's can hit close to the melee soak ratio on the shield. While it only has a 10% damage reduction it does have much higher melee stats, so its like a Suped-up DFS + a 10% melee damage reduction.

The problem is really that mage and range have very low damage average (for most weapons) and thus would have a hard time activating the shield specials. Because of that I would lean towards the melee shield as the primary choice.

But it depends what your forte is. If your a mage, the mage shield will benefit you much better. I wont buy a range shield tho, as I'd rather stick with spectral.