= New Chaotic Items =

killmenub

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sseli

While the shields are really good Ely still has the advantage over these because it can be used in every situation regardless of combat type. If you want good protection from all 3 triangle types you'll need 3 shields, and that takes up space. You have have to switch to them, which would imply you know what your opponent is going to use and that is very unlikely to happen if they can switch quickly.

But of the 3 chaos shields, I lean towards the melee one simply because melee has a higher hit. Spectral is still better than the chaos range shield, as +5 range means very little compared to like 200 range bonus of arma. The ONLY place and time I would ever use a chaos range shield is at solo Arma, simply because most of the damage there is mage based, and every range bonus counts at solo Arma. Even then, its a tossup to how effective it would be as her mage doesn't hit hit above 200 that frequently.

It's just my personal opinion, but i feel melee is by far the best of the 3 because most people use melee and can hit very high with it. Even level 80's can hit close to the melee soak ratio on the shield. While it only has a 10% damage reduction it does have much higher melee stats, so its like a Suped-up DFS + a 10% melee damage reduction.

The problem is really that mage and range have very low damage average (for most weapons) and thus would have a hard time activating the shield specials. Because of that I would lean towards the melee shield as the primary choice.

But it depends what your forte is. If your a mage, the mage shield will benefit you much better. I wont buy a range shield tho, as I'd rather stick with spectral.

Individually, they are worse than Ely. But I'd rather own the 3 shields than an ely; in the right scenarios, the shields are better than Ely. (For example, eagle eye shield at arma, chaotic shield for tanking graar)

Yes, it largely comes down on personal preference. I'm ultimately going for a pro solo arma gear set, so that's why I'm so interested in the eagle eye one. Using these shields is so situational.

And no, it doesn't make sense to carry more than 1 shield at a time. I'd just bring one with me. At max, I'd own two: the eagle eye and melee one.

I think the mage shield is pretty useless; mages should use the chaos melee shield for PvP. The 20% defense against range is more important than the mage attack bonus. Mage shield might be used for bursting lobs, I guess.

Well the eagle eye shield is useless. Spectral is better than it. It doesn't block 20% of all mage damage, it blocks 20% of all mage damage that hits over 200 and rarely do PvM monsters hit that high. The one that blocks range is the most useful, as Graardor often hits over 200 with his range attack, but I think the maul would be better suited for him.

Eagle eye shield still has +25 mage defense, which is only +5 away from spectral. I'm confident it is better than spectral... I'm a bit surprise you call it "useless". Out of curiosity, do you own a spectral? I've always thought it's a little bit overvalued.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Oh didn't realize it had a 25 mage defence bonus. I guess it isn't useless after all. I still think that it isn't worth the 200k an hour cost over a spectral as it will rarely reduce damage.

Yeah. Only activating on damage over 200 is a pretty huge drawback. They have nice stats, but the damage soaking effect would rarely activate in most cases. It would be good in pvp, but they aren't something you'd likely want to risk in dangerous pvp. Even boss monsters tend not to hit 200+ very frequently if you pray correctly. They all seem to be useful only situationally, and would be more useful if you had all of them which is why I would much rather have a few weapons first.

What do you guys think about the melee weapons: rapier, longsword, or maul? Definitely leaning towards the longsword at the moment. Rapier is probably the best training weapon in the game, but I don't need to train anymore. Maul would be kind fun, but useless since 2 handed and slow. Longsword seems like it would work best at bosses (basically a vesta longsword with slightly better stats).

Yeah. Only activating on damage over 200 is a pretty huge drawback. They have nice stats, but the damage soaking effect would rarely activate in most cases. It would be good in pvp, but they aren't something you'd likely want to risk in dangerous pvp. Even boss monsters tend not to hit 200+ very frequently if you pray correctly. They all seem to be useful only situationally, and would be more useful if you had all of them which is why I would much rather have a few weapons first.

What do you guys think about the melee weapons: rapier, longsword, or maul? Definitely leaning towards the longsword at the moment. Rapier is probably the best training weapon in the game, but I don't need to train anymore. Maul would be kind fun, but useless since 2 handed and slow. Longsword seems like it would work best at bosses (basically a vesta longsword with slightly better stats).

Definitely longsword. The open shield slot is very useful, and if you really needed the attack bonus you could always go with a defender. I feel like maul has less practical uses.

Rapier's definitely good for training, but it's not going to be worth the 400K tokens, nor the 200k/hr operating cost. A shield or another weapon would be much more useful.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I don't get why rapier is discounted as a PvM item. Using some standard gear, extremes and prayer, the difference between the accuracy of the longsword and the rapier is almost negligible (the longsword's accuracy bonus should only surpass the rapier's DPS if you're hitting less than 10% of the time, which makes me :-k). Not to mention it would replace zamorak spears for all dragons.

LET'S ALL REMEMBER THIS DRAWBACK ALSO ---

"Any damage soaked up by the shields will be noted in your chat window. 'Soaking' damage lessens the charge on a shield more quickly than usual." Right off the KB. Let's hope it doesn't decrease it by much.

MY to buy list will be as followed, but in no specific order -

Chaotic longsword

Chaotic Rapier

Chaotic Shield

Arcane Stream Necklace (15% damage boost to magic attacksif you don't remember)

Scroll of Life

Tome of Frost

Now we wait and see what the second batch of rewards brings...

well, i haven't seen it mentioned but what about the shields being used for the nomad battle? wouldn't they help there because of all the 20+ hits?

Of course they would help. But Nomad is a one time boss, which most higher levels (the ones that are now considering the use of these chaotic items) have already done him.

It's a bit like suggesting that if someone is struggling with Nomad, bring a divine shield. It'll absolutely help, but the ones that have the shield, aren't usually the ones that should struggle (much) with Nomad anyways.

Scherzo.png

If you are 88 dungeoneering and still haven't beat nomad, you're kind of sad.

The maul would be really good at bandos, but I think the longsword would be better overall. Judging from a DPS standpoint, without a strength boosting helm bandos, the longsword needs to hit 114% more often than rapier in order for it to be better. With a defender, barrows gloves, and fury, the longsword has a 22% more attack bonus than rapier, so it's fairly close. I don't know how attack bonus factors in the equation for hitting, but I think that the two items will be fairly close.

They will be very close in ACCURACY. Which means that rapier should be stronger. Logically if you hit 50% of the time with a rapier (can achieve this with a whip, mind you), it would be impossible for the longsword to hit 114% more often. PLUS you add in accuracy prayers, attack potions, 99 attack, fury, and other bonuses and I see no reason why the longsword would be better for any monster, except perhaps TDs where you'd want a maul anyway.

PvP is something else since there's a requirement to get KOs.

Which of the 3 shields do you all think is best?

I'm repeating myself here, but I like the Eagle Eye best. Magic defense is so crucial.

I feel like I would have to still choose the chaotic shield. It depends what you do, of course, but magic defence is still only important in a few situations.

How do you guys think the chaotic (or any of those shields for that matter) would compare to divine?

Since I have divine, my first priority once I am able to purchase chaotic items will be a weapon. Probably longsword or rapier; not sure. My second item (and one that seems to be overlooked) will be the chaotic crossbow. A crossbow better than rune would be amazing. Just imagine it at armadyl or something...

I actually think the chaotic shields are comparable to divine. Sure, the damage reduction is significantly less, but the prayer drain on divine is also pretty significant. I just like the idea of reducing damage without having to consume something in my inventory.

If you have all 3 shields, you can alternate which shield which you want in which scenario. Using the most relevant shield in each scenario, I'd say the net benefit is better than that of an elysian. Ely's stats arent as amazing as these (basically arcane + spectral + super dfs with damage reduction)

Melee defense rarely matters in PvM (barrows is like the only boss where melee defense is that releveant), and I doubt you're going to be able to use it in dangerous PvP (too much risk). I can see it being very useful for safe PvP maging, though.

Only other application of melee defense is slayer, but no need to get such an expensive shield just for that.

BS. The prayer drain on the divine is low enough that it is more cost efficient to use the divine w/ prayer pots then to heal with sharks. Not to mention the fact that for what a divine is used for, and the types of people who have a divine, the few extra 10-k an hour is honestly, negligible.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

BS. The prayer drain on the divine is low enough that it is more cost efficient to use the divine w/ prayer pots then to heal with sharks. Not to mention the fact that for what a divine is used for, and the types of people who have a divine, the few extra 10-k an hour is honestly, negligible.

This is true. Search "Divine Spirit Shield Analysis" on the RSOF if you need mathematical proof.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

What I will buy in order, assuming the tokens/costs are adjusted and they don't make any new rewards..

chaotic rapier

chaotic shield

scroll of life

bone crusher

steam necklase

tome of frost

scroll of augury

scroll of renewal

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

By 114% I mean longsword hitting 14% more often, so if rapier hits 50% longsword needs to hit 57% to be better.

There's no way that can be right (lol).

Using standard gear (neitiznot, fire cape, fury, defender, barrows gloves, dragon boots, berserker (i):

The average hit of the rapier is 289.9

The average hit of the longsword is 316

The attack delay of the rapier is 1.8 seconds

The attack delay of the longsword is 2.4 seconds

Therefore, in one hour, assuming 100% accuracy for both,

The rapier should hit 580k damage

The longsword should hit 474k damage

Now, let's assume the rapier hits 50% of the time.

The rapier would deal 290k damage.

For the longsword to hit 290k damage, it would need to hit 61% of the time. That means you'd need to get a 22% increase in accuracy from a 21% boost in your weapon attack bonus. That's absurd even by itself (if you already hit 50% or more), but when you also consider that you have 125/99 attack and turmoil it's 100% impossible.

Turns out with the accuracy boosting gear, potions, and prayers, the longsword should never be this much more accurate than the rapier.

Well shortswords hit every 2.4 seconds and longswords hit every 3.0 seconds. Are you sure that these are different?

Yes. In the main world, shortswords hit every 1.8 and longswords hit every 2.4 seconds, so likewise in the dungeon.

This is true. Search "Divine Spirit Shield Analysis" on the RSOF if you need mathematical proof.

I'm not worried about the prayer potion costs, I'm worried that they take inventory space. When soloing bosses, I like long trips - and long trips mean minimal inventory consumption per boss. This is why I personally prefer Ely over Divine.

sigcopyaf.png