The Style Thread

Scorcheddd

It has my blessings.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has my blessings.

Oh my god!

Popped into Off-topic (which is something I never do) and saw this post.

You probably don't remember me, but we used to hang out on RS ageeeeeeeees ago. You serious about having retired? that sucks man...

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

Well I've read through this thread, and decided to get some clothes. Nothing like a suit, but some more dressy shirts and stuff. I went to a Calvin Klein outlet store and spent $220. Here are some pics of what I bought.

This is the grey shirt I bought. I have a white V-neck undershirt with it. Yes, I'm wearing tennis shoes, but they are the 'dressiest' tennis shoes I've ever seen, and IMO they look really nice. I'll take a close up if anyone wants. I have some slim fit boot-cut Levi's on, my favorite pants ever. They look kinda baggy in the picture, but they really aren't. You can't see in the picture, (and it's a JPG :(), but there are really thin lines on the shirt.

[hide]2qum9oy.jpg[/hide]

Blue color of the same shirt, with the same really thin lines you can't see. In this shirt and the grey one above, I have the sleeves rolled up, because I think they look good. That is also how they were when I bought them. The only reason it is unbuttoned is to show the undershirt, I wouldn't wear it like that. The tag is still on this one, forgot to take it off :rolleyes:

[hide]nfmp9e.jpg[/hide]

This is the light jacket I got, it's not exactly classy by any means, but I thought I'd post it anyways. I have a white Puma hat on too. It's a little blurry, sorry.

[hide]28rfura.jpg[/hide]

I don't usually wear the hat, just when i'm dressed casual, my hair is a little longer (cut today), I'm driving, etc. When my hair is just a little bit longer, any kind of wind or moisture makes it completely fluffy and afro-ish, so the hat helps. I wouldn't wear it with this stuff though.

What do you think? Hopefully a step in the right direction. I don't think I'm ready to wear a suit or something into public, but I really like the look I got. I also got a belt, some underwear and a wallet at Calvin Klein, and the total was $220. I guess what I'm looking for is things to improve or just what you guys think.

2s0cxth.png

Well I've read through this thread, and decided to get some clothes. Nothing like a suit, but some more dressy shirts and stuff. I went to a Calvin Klein outlet store and spent $220. Here are some pics of what I bought.

This is the grey shirt I bought. I have a white V-neck undershirt with it. Yes, I'm wearing tennis shoes, but they are the 'dressiest' tennis shoes I've ever seen, and IMO they look really nice. I'll take a close up if anyone wants. I have some slim fit boot-cut Levi's on, my favorite pants ever. They look kinda baggy in the picture, but they really aren't. You can't see in the picture, (and it's a JPG :(), but there are really thin lines on the shirt.

[hide]2qum9oy.jpg[/hide]

Blue color of the same shirt, with the same really thin lines you can't see. In this shirt and the grey one above, I have the sleeves rolled up, because I think they look good. That is also how they were when I bought them. The tag is still on this one, forgot to take it off :rolleyes:

[hide]nfmp9e.jpg[/hide]

This is the light jacket I got, it's not exactly classy by any means, but I thought I'd post it anyways. I have a white Puma hat on too. It's a little blurry, sorry.

[hide]28rfura.jpg[/hide]

What do you think? Hopefully a step in the right direction. I don't think I'm ready to wear a suit or something into public, but I really like the look I got. I also got a belt, some underwear and a wallet at Calvin Klein, and the total was $220. I guess what I'm looking for is things to improve or just what you guys think.

lose the hat, seriously.

imo you're much better off picking stuff that looks good and fits well, rather than getting designer stuff. The shirts are fairly plain, and look like something I could pick up for $10. Straight leg jeans would look better on you than boot cut.

Dressier than other tennis shoes or not, tennis shoes are not 'classy' and really shouldn't be worn with a button up.

Don't wear a dress shirt unbuttoned with another shirt underneath, that's like wearing socks with sandals or something.

Invest in a watch and neck chain, and I'd look around at different hairstyles and pick something interesting that you like that would suit your face and build.

No offense meant or anything mate, just my honest opinion. I think you wasted your money.

There's actually a lot more detail in the shirt that you can't see in the pictures. I really like them, they were about $30.

I would usually do my hair, but I just got home from the gym and out of the shower so it was just natural.

I don't usually wear the hat, just when i'm dressed casual, my hair is a little longer (cut today), I'm driving, etc. When my hair is just a little bit longer, any kind of wind or moisture makes it completely fluffy and afro-ish, so the hat helps. I wouldn't wear it with this stuff though.

I will get a nice watch soon, when I have some more money. What kind of neck chain were you talking about?

I wouldn't wear the shirt unbuttoned ever, I was just doing that in the picture to show the undershirt because you couldn't see it in the first one.

What kind of hairstyle do you think would look nice?

What do you think about the jacket?

Also, thanks a ton for your input! :^_^:

2s0cxth.png

Jacket would be good for working out or running in. Athletic wear is just that, athletic wear. If you want tennis shoes that don't look like tennis shoes, don't buy tennis shoes. The proper term (I consider it British) is trainers. Lacoste makes fantastic grown-up shoes, and there are Converse or classic Nikes, Adidas or Reeboks if you like those.

When you roll up your sleeves, since you have small arms, keep them on your forearm and make sure they're folded very tight with just a small bit of the new cuff showing. It will compliment you and make your arms and hands look much larger. I have roughly the same problem.

Shirts aren't bad, though. With their length you need to tuck them in. If a shirt comes down below your ass, tuck it in.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

The proper term (I consider it British) is trainers. Lacoste makes fantastic grown-up shoes, and there are Converse or classic Nikes, Adidas or Reeboks if you like those.

I really-really like classics. But you should never wear those tennis shoes. Classics are just so much more classy, yet at the same time they also look a bit sporty. And they are horribly comfortable.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

[hide=Stupid stuff about blazers + t-shirts]

If you're that skinny, I'd go for looser fits.

]https://www.jackthreads.com/sales/1152/products/3579

Fiberops Slim Raw Denim, 75$ on JackThreads. Ships to Canada and the US only.

You can find this fit easily at Zara, I know Altamont sells it (http://altamontapparel.com/images/collections/fall-07/pants/pants-fit-guide.jpg , you're looking for Wilshire slouch or Alameda, you can buy it online).

Threadless usually sells funny, cute, etc tees that will probably clash with the tone of a blazer. Plain tees or more serious graphic tees with a lot of character are easier to wear with a blazer. If you want, you can go for V/distressed or scoop necks, that'll make it more interesting.

For shoes, see my last post for that tall dude. I'm not a fan of Converse with blazers. Once again, it clashes the tones.

Where would be somewhere good to look for a cheaper blazer? I don't want anything too fancy yet, but still something I can throw on over a t-shirt for a date to look a bit nicer.

Edit: or maybe something like a leather Jacket

[/hide]

Please, for the love of all that is fashionable, don't wear a blazer with a t-shirt. Never. Ever. And please, no "funny" shirts. Because guess what; they either aren't funny (this makes up about 80%) or the joke gets old after wearing the shirt once or twice.

If you're looking for a cheap blazer, go to H&M with about $80. Mind you, this is a piece of [cabbage] blazer and will be extremely uncomfortable and cheaply made and will not impress any ladies, since that seems to be your goal.

If we're going to talk about jeans I would recommend A.P.C.s. My favorite pair of jeans I own out of all my designer. Never have to worry about washing them, they look great, and are very personal. A.P.C. New Standard .

And here is a thread about A.P.C.s at a fashion/street wear website I visit. Hypebeast.

This man knows what is up.

mssigqc5.jpgI do English to Japanese and Japanese to English translation for free! Just keep it under 5 sentences, and PM me to use my fluency in Japanese to your advantage!

[hide=Stupid stuff about blazers + t-shirts]

If you're that skinny, I'd go for looser fits.

]https://www.jackthreads.com/sales/1152/products/3579

Fiberops Slim Raw Denim, 75$ on JackThreads. Ships to Canada and the US only.

You can find this fit easily at Zara, I know Altamont sells it (http://altamontapparel.com/images/collections/fall-07/pants/pants-fit-guide.jpg , you're looking for Wilshire slouch or Alameda, you can buy it online).

Threadless usually sells funny, cute, etc tees that will probably clash with the tone of a blazer. Plain tees or more serious graphic tees with a lot of character are easier to wear with a blazer. If you want, you can go for V/distressed or scoop necks, that'll make it more interesting.

For shoes, see my last post for that tall dude. I'm not a fan of Converse with blazers. Once again, it clashes the tones.

Where would be somewhere good to look for a cheaper blazer? I don't want anything too fancy yet, but still something I can throw on over a t-shirt for a date to look a bit nicer.

Edit: or maybe something like a leather Jacket

[/hide]

Please, for the love of all that is fashionable, don't wear a blazer with a t-shirt. Never. Ever. And please, no "funny" shirts. Because guess what; they either aren't funny (this makes up about 80%) or the joke gets old after wearing the shirt once or twice.

I agree. My first choice to wear with a blazer would be some type knit or a button-up. People do wear tees with them, I figured it looked weird, but I thought I was alone.

And APC denim is like 160$ a pop , not everyone can afford that - any legwear over 100$ is too much for me.

Scorched, I find three buttons on a blazer to be too much. I love a long lapel, so I'd say go for one or two buttons.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

I will get a nice watch soon, when I have some more money. What kind of neck chain were you talking about?

What kind of hairstyle do you think would look nice?

What do you think about the jacket?

Also, thanks a ton for your input! :^_^:

I actually highly recommend throwing the hat out.

I like the jacket, it's something I'd wear to an athletics carnival rather than when I go out though.

I think you should grow your hair longer, short hair makes you look really young. When you get older, put on a bit of muscle and develop a stronger looking face a faux hawk or spy haircut would suit you imo.

I personally like thin gold chains, if you prefer silver get that. Don't get anything too thick though.

I also recon you should get an eyebrow piercing to help make you look a little older. Some kind of leather bracelet too.

And np :thumbup:

Jacket would be good for working out or running in. Athletic wear is just that, athletic wear. If you want tennis shoes that don't look like tennis shoes, don't buy tennis shoes. The proper term (I consider it British) is trainers. Lacoste makes fantastic grown-up shoes, and there are Converse or classic Nikes, Adidas or Reeboks if you like those. When you roll up your sleeves, since you have small arms, keep them on your forearm and make sure they're folded very tight with just a small bit of the new cuff showing. It will compliment you and make your arms and hands look much larger. I have roughly the same problem. Shirts aren't bad, though. With their length you need to tuck them in. If a shirt comes down below your ass, tuck it in.

The main reason I am buying all this stuff is that I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks, and really needed a wardrobe upgrade - all I had was ugly clothes and t-shirts left over from high school like Abercrombie and Hollister. I am loving all the new stuff I am finding at stores like Calvin Klien, Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, Van Heusen, etc. I didn't get the jacket to look 'classy' in, I go to the University of Minnesota, which is a huge campus, and it rains a lot, therefore I am walking in the rain and stuff a lot, haha. I also didn't have any other kind of jacket besides sweatshirts, and they get soaked.

As for the shoes, I really shouldn't have said tennis shoes, as they are not athletic shoes at all. Here is a picture of them Nike Series 6f. They are like that on one side, and the other side is the same with the little black holes, but no big nike swish symbol thing. They are also all leather.

You made a very good point about the sleeves and arms. I am 6'2", and only 145 pounds. But, I have been going to the gym the last 3 weeks, and have gained about 5 pounds and have some muscles coming through :thumbup: My brothe r is a MMA teacher in the marines, and his wife is a personal trainer so they have been helping me. About the sleeves though, they came like that when I bought them (and almost every store I went in had that style). There is this kind of strap thing with a button on it that holds the sleeve up, so idk how to make it a little shorter. I got a regular dress shirt at Van Heusen that I have to roll the sleeves up myself, so I will have to learn anyways and I'll get it down then.

I am tucking in the blue one, the grey one can go either way though I think. It looks longer than it is in the picture, and doesn't really go below my ass haha.

I don't usually wear the hat, just when i'm dressed casual, my hair is a little longer (cut today), I'm driving, etc. When my hair is just a little bit longer, any kind of wind or moisture makes it completely fluffy and afro-ish, so the hat helps. I wouldn't wear it with this stuff though. I will get a nice watch soon, when I have some more money. What kind of neck chain were you talking about? What kind of hairstyle do you think would look nice?What do you think about the jacket?Also, thanks a ton for your input! :^_^:
I

actually highly recommend throwing the hat out.I like the jacket, it's something I'd wear to an athletics carnival rather than when I go out though.I think you should grow your hair longer, short hair makes you look really young. When you get older, put on a bit of muscle and develop a stronger looking face a faux hawk or spy haircut would suit you imo.I personally like thin gold chains, if you prefer silver get that. Don't get anything too thick though.I also recon you should get an eyebrow piercing to help make you look a little older. Some kind of leather bracelet too.And np :thumbup:

That's exactly what I planned on wearing the jacket for, as I said in response above, so that's good then. It's really comfortable and nice.

The thing is about my hair, it is very curly and VERY puffy when it is long. It looks similar to This in curliness and This in puffiness, and it is very hard to control. I looked up the Faux hawk thing you were talking about, and I like it, think that something to this effect would look good, if I could somehow pull it off. I couldn't find any picture of the spy haircut you talked about, do you have one? Today I wore it up in the front, and really liked it. My girlfriend also went crazy when she saw it and said she loved it.

I'll look into the chains :thumbup:

The leather bracelet and definitely the eyebrow piercing will take some talking into for me to get though haha :wink:

I just wanted to give both of you a HUGE thank you to you two, I was anticipating getting your advice on the way home after buying everything :thumbup:

Just a little background on the people I am around, where I will be etc. so you know what kind of places I'll be wearing the clothes in (that sounds funny, dunno if it's worded right :unsure: )

I am 17 and just finished my freshman year at the U of Minnesota, cause I got a scholarship thing that let me graduate HS 2 years early and get free college. Because of this, on weekends I am at home and hang out with my friends from high school, usually in groups of 5-12, going out to dinner, movies, houses, etc. I have a girlfriend the same age as me (17) but she is still a junior in high school. I also have friends at the college, so I am around a more mature crowd too. My family can be considered 'rich', so I am at upscale places and around 'important' people a lot, because my dad is the VP of a very large company. The reason I am saying all of this is to show you the different kinds of people I'm around.

Today I went back to the mall and bought some shorts and a few shirts. I'll take pictures if you would like, for any more advice.

Sorry for the wall of text :blink: Thanks again.

2s0cxth.png

I just wanted to hop on this thread and say that I think jewelry on a man is incredibly tacky. The only thing you should be wearing is your wedding ring if youve got one. Wrist watches are doable I suppose. I would absolutely never wear one.

When I see a dude with a chain on his neck, I ask myself 3 questions:

-Wheres his boyfriend?

-What trailer park did he grow up in?

-How many rap albums has this guy made?

If none of these questions have answers then I start wondering why in the world a man would wear a necklace. The only thing that goes around my neck is a tie.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I just want to know, what are you guys problems with t-shirts with blazers? Almost every single guy in my area wears t-shirts and blazers. The t-shirts aren't outrageous, they compliment the blazers. I think it looks good. My big brother (21, works in jewelery and Ralph Lauren) thinks they look good. But what is your guys deal with it?

lampost_sig_stark.png

Thammaron, i suggest you go to a hair-dresser's, preferably a respectable, expensive one, and ask him/her if there's anything you can do to remove some volume from your hair. Also, those shoes are designed for sports, not for looking good. Trust us when we tell you they don't match.

I also hate jewelry on guys. Especially rings that are not a simple, thin tube. Looks trashy, I feel it's something you'd find in a Guess store ([bleep]ing hate that brand).

I just want to know, what are you guys problems with t-shirts with blazers? Almost every single guy in my area wears t-shirts and blazers. The t-shirts aren't outrageous, they compliment the blazers. I think it looks good. My big brother (21, works in jewelery and Ralph Lauren) thinks they look good. But what is your guys deal with it?

Too much clash between formal and casual. Like a suit with sneakers.

I'm just going the US team's sartorial failure here:

http://sartoriallyinclined.blogspot.com/2010/06/2010-fifa-world-cup-sartorial-round-up.html

I'm not the most fashionable person, but I think that on most people, t-shirts & blazers just don't work together. Wearing a v-neck t-shirt with a blazer is pretty awful.

Mostly it's just about the colour co-ordination being awry (leaving aside the formal/casual divide for the time-being).

A good one would be dark blue jeans with a really faint beige round-collared t-shirt with black pinstripe blazer. But obviously that's not for everyone.

@Harrinator: In my college last year there was one guy who would literally wear a suit (which didn't fit well at all) with white leather trainers. It looked rather awful.

Question. Although I am a girl, I shall ask anyway as I figure you know as well as anybody. I need a preferably cheap dress watch, with a smallish face and preferably black leather band. It needs to be decent looking, and I can't find any that match this description. A men's watch would be fine, as long as the face isn't much bigger than an inch or so. I was looking at a sort of Timex Expedition type watch, although it seems all of those have crappy looking bands.

Also, any suggestions on what to do if all the head holes (for lack of a better term) in your t-shirts are too big? Lately I've been bothered by this on just about all of my shirts, as I prefer a looser fit, but when I get bigger ones the head hole stretches out of shape a bit... And/or a place to get decent cool shirts cheaply? (Oh and I hate the 'babydoll' style shirts, they have no sleeves...)

To be relevant... I have no style, being a girl and wearing essentially a ton of various guy's cargo pants and shorts in various shades of khaki, plus a pile of various black t-shirts, with three different pairs of high-top Chucks...

There you go :P

It can be done, but I rarely see it done well.

Every man needs 3 pairs of shoes. Casual, running and formal. Get brown leather for formal, and something white for casual. My casual shoes are on page 7 if you want an example. Something that looks nice, but isn't formal.

I know the shoes aren't meant to be dressy, but I thought they were fine with jeans and that button up shirt.

But, since they aren't, what kind would be a good fit?

I'm going to suggest slims with straight or tapered legs, but not everyone's going to agree. It's for the young at heart, I guess. Yours flare out a little, they're a little wide at the thigh too.

I posted something about the way I think your pants should fit a few days ago, read up.

[Edit] Omar fails, he read half the post and thought we were talking about denim. postunderconstruction

[Edit]

[hide=Casual footwear (not classy at all)]

Supra-Chad-Muska-Skytop-NS-white-skate-shoes.jpg

Supra-Chad-Muska-Skytop-white-red-silver-skate-shoes.jpg

[/hide]

I have a general question. Some think it is, some think it isn't, but is it a crime to buy badly cut woman's clothing?

Only if your butt doesn't looked [bleep]ed up in them.

I have a general question. Some think it is, some think it isn't, but is it a crime to buy badly cut woman's clothing?

Only if your butt doesn't looked [bleep]ed up in them.

I see. I was referring more to, hmm, blazers and [cabbage]. Only XS are cut well to my chest. I need some muscle.

lampost_sig_stark.png