Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

Unfortunately nowadays, "hipster" is just a meaningless label thrown around by obese men who wear cargo shorts to describe anyone who has an alternative taste in music or wears slim-cut jeans.

I thought the obese men wearing cargo shorts were the hipsters???

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Unfortunately nowadays, "hipster" is just a meaningless label thrown around by obese men who wear cargo shorts to describe anyone who has an alternative taste in music or wears slim-cut jeans.

Let me tell you about the wonders of Utilikilts

Let me tell you about the wonders of jorts

Let me tell you about the wonders of wearing jorts under your Utilikilt

let me tell you about the wonders of my little pony

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I thought the obese men wearing cargo shorts were the hipsters???

Not quite. Those are neckbeards. Hipsters wouldn't be caught dead wearing cheap cargo pants.

@Langzor

Lolwut?

I'd argue that most of the hatred towards hipsters stems from attitude. If you like music that I think sucks, power to you. But liking music no one has ever heard of doesn't actually make your farts smell like roses, and trying to convince us sheeple otherwise will only earn our scorn.

Then we become the blind followers of 'the man' which only gives the hipster more reason to be smug, and us more reason to hate them.

Society loves to hate on some group of people. The hippies, the emo teenagers, and now the hipsters. And in a few years, we will start to grow board of ripping on hipsters, and we'll rip on whatever other group is loudly proclaiming that they are special at the time, and the cycle will continue. Or at least the teenagers will. Most of my primary education was set during the emo hate years, thus my natural enemy is guys with tight jeans and bangs over their eyes, not people who wear cargo shorts and toques all 12 months of the year.

• Like 2

You know what's worse than hipsters? People who have to actively hate something even when it's not even relevant at the moment. "Better love story than Twilight" or "I wish I wasn't born in the '90s, everyone around me likes Justin Bieber! Lol he looks like a girl, right? RIGHT?" At least hipsters have the decency to not constantly talk about the things they hate.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself. It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker. Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural boogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own). You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you. The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings. Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

pretty much hits the nail on the head

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself. It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker. Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural boogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own). You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you. The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings. Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

pretty much hits the nail on the head

hipster

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

You know what's worse than hipsters? People who have to actively hate something even when it's not even relevant at the moment. "Better love story than Twilight" or "I wish I wasn't born in the '90s, everyone around me likes Justin Bieber! Lol he looks like a girl, right? RIGHT?" At least hipsters have the decency to not constantly talk about the things they hate.

They do, they just dismiss whatever isn't contrarian by labelling it 'mainstream'. Perhaps not as strong as hate, but they certainly look down on those who don't desperately absorb every cultural phenomenon that looks different.

On a different note, people who simply claim that 'manga/anime' are things they like annoy me - not because manga/anime can't be good (Spirited Away kicks everything Pixar has ever done into the dirt, for example) but because liking everything that's Japanese and animated, without much discernment, is, like a hipster, merely striving to be different for the sake of difference. And was it not a Japanese priest who wrote that "a craving for novelity in all things is a sign of a person of superficial knowledge"? I think it was.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

They do, they just dismiss whatever isn't contrarian by labelling it 'mainstream'. Perhaps not as strong as hate, but they certainly look down on those who don't desperately absorb every cultural phenomenon that looks different.

On a different note, people who simply claim that 'manga/anime' are things they like annoy me - not because manga/anime can't be good (Spirited Away kicks everything Pixar has ever done into the dirt, for example) but because liking everything that's Japanese and animated, without much discernment, is, like a hipster, merely striving to be different for the sake of difference. And was it not a Japanese priest who wrote that "a craving for novelity in all things is a sign of a person of superficial knowledge"? I think it was.

Pretty sure that was Lincoln, buddy.

Or maybe Morgan Freeman

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I get called a hipster often enough. I like finding hidden gems of cool things that aren't necessarily popular. I don't like pop music, or sports, or a lot of other things considered mainstream. My favorite genre of music is relatively unknown - electroswing - and my favorite things in most pop culture are things just below the surface of the mainstream.

Yet I don't look down on others for liking pop music or Harry Potter, or anything else mainstream, no matter my opinion on it. Your interests are your own, and you're allowed to have them. What annoys me is when others don't accept my opinion, our someone else's. Calling me pretentious because I enjoyed the percussion concert and you fell asleep is frustrating to no end. I'm not thinking I'm better than you, just that I enjoy something you didn't.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I get called a hipster often enough. I like finding hidden gems of cool things that aren't necessarily popular. I don't like pop music, or sports, or a lot of other things considered mainstream. My favorite genre of music is relatively unknown - electroswing - and my favorite things in most pop culture are things just below the surface of the mainstream.

Yet I don't look down on others for liking pop music or Harry Potter, or anything else mainstream, no matter my opinion on it. Your interests are your own, and you're allowed to have them. What annoys me is when others don't accept my opinion, our someone else's. Calling me pretentious because I enjoyed the percussion concert and you fell asleep is frustrating to no end. I'm not thinking I'm better than you, just that I enjoy something you didn't.

Harry Potter is considered main stream?

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Harry Potter is considered main stream?

It's one of the most popular fiction book series that I can think of, so yes.

Pretty sure that was Lincoln, buddy.

Or maybe Morgan Freeman

It was the priest Yoshida Kenko in Tsurezuregusa. I only wish I could remember which of the 243 essays it comes from.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

When people like to insist their definition of a word is correct, going as far to ignore high-quality dictionaries that say otherwise, especially when it derails a topic you were discussing with them about.

When people like to insist their definition of a word is correct, going as far to ignore high-quality dictionaries that say otherwise, especially when it derails a topic you were discussing with them about.

This post is epic.

This post is epic.

What a fail post.

OT: Overseas shipping. I managed to get free shipping on a purchase coming from China, but now have to wait up to a month for it to arrive.

• Like 1

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Cheapskates can't also expect quicker shipping. :wink:

• Like 2

^Yeah but we can complain about it. Hot air is free after all.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Tell that to my gas bill. :P

Speaking of which, it annoyed the hell out of me when my ex-girlfriend moved out and only gave me part of what she promised to cover the bills. <_<

• Like 2

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...