[DevBlog] Hit Marks: Damage Control

Mil

For the "OMG sharks heall 200" crowd: Sharks are not the only option, your opponent could have an inventory full of pie, or perhaps be munching away at both his wallet and rocktails, both of which are a major difference in pvp.

Personally I'd like healsplats, because I'm a healler. I like taking the extra attention and care while in a group to get people emergency heals should they be lagging. It's what makes me feel good. And an indicator of whether they've healled themselves already would be nice.

I'd love the attack style marker as I'd like to get a clue when I'm cycling through prayers on a new boss and still getting hit.

Healsplats would be hell in PvP. My argument about Sharks healing 200 every single time was for slaying or bosses.

Imagine as you're being claw spec'd you eat. Let's say it hit 647-12-0-35. As you're being spec'd you eat a shark, and instead of seeing the 647 against you, you see the purple 200 and think they fail the spec. Guess who gets KO'd because of healsplat spam? I'll have to pass on having that in PvP (or bosses for that matter). If you're going to say "you can see the healthbar," I say the same to you.

For the second part of your post, again, trial and error.

Seriously though, you CAN see the health bar, and your life points in the corner of your screen by your map. If you can't keep track of when to eat based off of this, and need to see what you're getting hit for everytime, you should stay off PvP worlds. Now I'm not saying it doesn't help to see what you're getting hit for, but did Jagex ever say that heal splats would cover damage splats? No. For all we know the heal splats could appear over your health bar. Just relax and wait until it's released before you get mad.

Personally, I think this looks like a good update. And to all the haters, did you bother to look at the pics very closely at all? Notice in the corner is says "Work in progress". That means that none of this is set in stone yet. It could be ENTIRELY different than the pics when it is released into the game. How about instead of ranting and raving over a future update that is still being worked on, you just grit your teeth and wait until they put it into the game and you can see how you like it then. You never know what it'll be like, so you all just need to chill out and stop getting mad about something that is still being worked on.

But you can see your healthbar go up when you eat so that really is a poor argument to use. I would not be satisfied without a toggle or a compromise of some sort. Keep it out of all PvP situations and boss monsters (or anything 1.5x your combat level), for instance. Also, the point of having "work in progress" written on the pictures is to obtain feedback, which is what I'm giving. My so-called "rants" are feedback of what I thought of the Dev Blog as well as a related poll from a month or so ago.

About the healsplats showing over hits (that they should not), that is one of the compromises I already suggested in a previous post of mine. It happens at Dung all the time which is why I bring it up...

Ok, maybe not ranting, but it's still an awful lot of complaining over something that isn't even in the game yet and still being worked on. As I said before, let them put it in and you try it out before deciding that it's no good.

Seriously though, you CAN see the health bar, and your life points in the corner of your screen by your map. If you can't keep track of when to eat based off of this, and need to see what you're getting hit for everytime, you should stay off PvP worlds. Now I'm not saying it doesn't help to see what you're getting hit for, but did Jagex ever say that heal splats would cover damage splats? No. For all we know the heal splats could appear over your health bar. Just relax and wait until it's released before you get mad.

Dude, you actually use the health bar and life points in the corner? I keep track of my HP through the damage I receive. Health bar is to inaccurate and the LP circle is way to far away from the action on the main screen.

Way to far away? What? Do you have peripheral vision? I can look at my character and read my LP circle without moving my eyes. If you do have to move your eyes to see it though, it takes less than half a second to glance at it and then back to your character.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imho, haveing an icon next to the hit splat would be anoying (i would get used to it, but still...). thay should have difrent hit splats for difrent combat styles, like melee is sort of a claw slash, range looks sort of like a bullet shot, and mage is kinda like fire-works.

nuthing over the top, but still enough to say "the mage did that".

thay should also prbably add something like a high and low deteal for hit splats in options.

but no matter how it ends up, as long as thay dont stuff it up baddly (and no one say it WILL end up bad) it cant end up being a bad update, even if a bit pointless.

p.s.

Wait, theres more?

Oh, yes, and theres something I've not mentioned, another unique feature that is also being implemented, and which hasn't been shown in the pictures here...and which has turned out to be a big hit with people here. But you'll have to wait until the new hit mark system arrives before finding that one out...

oh thats just bad...

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

So you don't know how to save images properly? Not everyone uses paint to save their images you silly boy.

If you have problems with .JPG you might want to try irfanview for saving your images instead. It's a nice freeware software with great image saving options!

Not saying that .png is always the worse choice.

http://sam.ihku.fi/uploads/hit_types.jpg

http://sam.ihku.fi/uploads/hit_types.png

Exactly the same quality, compare the sizes ;)

Is this some kind of joke?

Of course saving an already .JPG'd (for lack of better word) as a .PNG won't make the .PNG better quality. Just read the post above.

No, it's not a joke. If you fail to realize that you do NOT want to fill your website with hundreds of large size images then you are a moron. My point here was that Size > Quality in this case.

The reason I told you about irfanview was that most people here seem to use paint to save their images, which uses always the same options for .jpg saving making the quality loss easily noticeable. However it's possible to reduce the .jpg quality loss so much that it isn't even noticeable with bare eye. Your post made you sound like one of those .png fanatics who always use .png no matter what and end up with large 2mb size pictures that cause teeth grinding for many.

I admit that the size comprasion was unfair because the lowered quality caused by .jpg also caused the .png size to skyrocket.

that would be awesome because i corp alot and gettin to know what hits are true dealt by me would be awesome !

i wish there were a critical hit system that works only on monsters not like maxing but actually u would

do double the damage or any number would be awesome, critical damge would have a different splat colour.

that be fun tho i know it has nothing to do with this topic :thumbsup:

d6c4baddbe.png

So you don't know how to save images properly? Not everyone uses paint to save their images you silly boy.

If you have problems with .JPG you might want to try irfanview for saving your images instead. It's a nice freeware software with great image saving options!

Of course saving an already .JPG'd (for lack of better word) as a .PNG won't make the .PNG better quality. Just read the post above.

No, it's not a joke. If you fail to realize that you do NOT want to fill your website with hundreds of large size images then you are a moron. My point here was that Size > Quality in this case.

The reason I told you about irfanview was that most people here seem to use paint to save their images, which uses always the same options for .jpg saving making the quality loss easily noticeable. However it's possible to reduce the .jpg quality loss so much that it isn't even noticeable with bare eye. Your post made you sound like one of those .png fanatics who always use .png no matter what and end up with large 2mb size pictures that cause teeth grinding for many.

I admit that the size comprasion was unfair because the lowered quality caused by .jpg also caused the .png size to skyrocket.

when you are showcasing a (for the most part) graphical update, you should save the image in a high quality format.

optionally, they could have left the thumbnails as jpegs, and made the larger images png.

fishing.gif

when you are showcasing a (for the most part) graphical update, you should save the image in a high quality format.

optionally, they could have left the thumbnails as jpegs, and made the larger images png.

But it's not even a graphical update. They just changed the splashes a bit.

Changing the graphics of the splashes, AKA, graphical update. Even if it's just a bit of a change. They changed the look of dragons a bit a while ago, by your logic, since it was just a bit of a change, it wasn't a graphical update, even though it was changing how things looked.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Changing the graphics of the splashes, AKA, graphical update. Even if it's just a bit of a change. They changed the look of dragons a bit a while ago, by your logic, since it was just a bit of a change, it wasn't a graphical update, even though it was changing how things looked.

They replaced a splash background with a square background. Calling it a graphical update is just silly.

They are ramping up to add elemental damage to weapons and armor via a massive overhaul of the smithing system.... you heard it from taco first!

Stock up on smithing supplies it will be the next herblore.

Fools_Taco.png

[spoiler=Quote Chains]

For the "OMG sharks heall 200" crowd: Sharks are not the only option, your opponent could have an inventory full of pie, or perhaps be munching away at both his wallet and rocktails, both of which are a major difference in pvp.

Personally I'd like healsplats, because I'm a healler. I like taking the extra attention and care while in a group to get people emergency heals should they be lagging. It's what makes me feel good. And an indicator of whether they've healled themselves already would be nice.

I'd love the attack style marker as I'd like to get a clue when I'm cycling through prayers on a new boss and still getting hit.

Healsplats would be hell in PvP. My argument about Sharks healing 200 every single time was for slaying or bosses.

Imagine as you're being claw spec'd you eat. Let's say it hit 647-12-0-35. As you're being spec'd you eat a shark, and instead of seeing the 647 against you, you see the purple 200 and think they fail the spec. Guess who gets KO'd because of healsplat spam? I'll have to pass on having that in PvP (or bosses for that matter). If you're going to say "you can see the healthbar," I say the same to you.

For the second part of your post, again, trial and error.

Personally, I think this looks like a good update. And to all the haters, did you bother to look at the pics very closely at all? Notice in the corner is says "Work in progress". That means that none of this is set in stone yet. It could be ENTIRELY different than the pics when it is released into the game. How about instead of ranting and raving over a future update that is still being worked on, you just grit your teeth and wait until they put it into the game and you can see how you like it then. You never know what it'll be like, so you all just need to chill out and stop getting mad about something that is still being worked on.

But you can see your healthbar go up when you eat so that really is a poor argument to use. I would not be satisfied without a toggle or a compromise of some sort. Keep it out of all PvP situations and boss monsters (or anything 1.5x your combat level), for instance. Also, the point of having "work in progress" written on the pictures is to obtain feedback, which is what I'm giving. My so-called "rants" are feedback of what I thought of the Dev Blog as well as a related poll from a month or so ago.

About the healsplats showing over hits (that they should not), that is one of the compromises I already suggested in a previous post of mine. It happens at Dung all the time which is why I bring it up...

Ok, maybe not ranting, but it's still an awful lot of complaining over something that isn't even in the game yet and still being worked on. As I said before, let them put it in and you try it out before deciding that it's no good.

Dude, you actually use the health bar and life points in the corner? I keep track of my HP through the damage I receive. Health bar is to inaccurate and the LP circle is way to far away from the action on the main screen.

Way to far away? What? Do you have peripheral vision? I can look at my character and read my LP circle without moving my eyes. If you do have to move your eyes to see it though, it takes less than half a second to glance at it and then back to your character.

Or since we already have a taste of what this update will be like, we can deduce that it will bomb without a toggle option.

Also

[spoiler=Image]Extremely close:close.png

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Um... wrong dude. Your health bar does not update unless you take actual damage. The healsplats are for the benefit of your attacker, and teammates who would rather cast a heal than bless your grave if you start lagging bad.

As for overcrowding on the hitsplats... looks like as of this time that has not even been addressed, as these pictures are of a greater demon, one of the tallest creatures out there. Give it some time, and of course watch out for double team claws because I find those hilarious.

Um... wrong dude. Your health bar does not update unless you take actual damage. The healsplats are for the benefit of your attacker, and teammates who would rather cast a heal than bless your grave if you start lagging bad.

As for overcrowding on the hitsplats... looks like as of this time that has not even been addressed, as these pictures are of a greater demon, one of the tallest creatures out there. Give it some time, and of course watch out for double team claws because I find those hilarious.

Let me fix that. "But you can see your healthbar go up when you eat [while you're in combat] so that really is a poor argument to use." K nothing wrong now.

Again, as long as HITsplats are guaranteed to show over healsplats, I can live with it (hell, a toggle would be a God-send). There are only four spots available for hit/heal splats on any given player or NPC (regardless of how tall the NPC is). As with my first example, Claws (which when using the spec will leave four splats), can theoretically hit really high on the first hit, but fail the next three (as an example). If you eat when that happens, the blob of purple covers the first (in this case massive) hit, you don't eat next round of combat, and boom KO. GF 50m in gear. Thanks for telling me how much a shark heals, Jagex :thumbup:.

I don't appreciate my $280 from the last 4.67 years going to an unneeded, useless, and potentially harmful update (inb4wbm). Like I said before, I'm not going to quit because of it, but I will be angry. I'm still here after that incredibly useful Constitution "update" amirite? I think I've made my point well-enough now because I'm stuck repeating myself or explaining things one should already know before arguing this... :-? [/thread]

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

[hide]

Let me fix that. "But you can see your healthbar go up when you eat [while you're in combat] so that really is a poor argument to use." K nothing wrong now.

Again, as long as HITsplats are guaranteed to show over healsplats, I can live with it (hell, a toggle would be a God-send). There are only four spots available for hit/heal splats on any given player or NPC (regardless of how tall the NPC is). As with my first example, Claws (which when using the spec will leave four splats), can theoretically hit really high on the first hit, but fail the next three (as an example). If you eat when that happens, the blob of purple covers the first (in this case massive) hit, you don't eat next round of combat, and boom KO. GF 50m in gear. Thanks for telling me how much a shark heals, Jagex :thumbup:.

I don't appreciate my $280 from the last 4.67 years going to an unneeded, useless, and potentially harmful update (inb4wbm). Like I said before, I'm not going to quit because of it, but I will be angry. I'm still here after that incredibly useful Constitution "update" amirite? I think I've made my point well-enough now because I'm stuck repeating myself or explaining things one should already know before arguing this... :-? [/thread]

[/hide]

It is not heal splat

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

This will either make (even more) or break (extremely slightly) people's true thoughts on the Spirit Shields. It's stupid because it won't be any different from how they used to work, but people will finally see visible results, and it'll either boost their prices further (for no reason), or make them a teensy less (for no reason).

All those symbols look painful. Too much clutter. Couldn't it be something like purple=mage, red=melee, and orange=range? With gray=other person's? Heal splats in Dungeoneering could be changed to magenta. Having splats in a bunch of extra colors would look cleaner, I'd think.

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

This will either make (even more) or break (extremely slightly) people's true thoughts on the Spirit Shields. It's stupid because it won't be any different from how they used to work, but people will finally see visible results, and it'll either boost their prices further (for no reason), or make them a teensy less (for no reason).

Brilliant! Have you considered getting into politics?

I think we can also expect either a slight increase in the number of people playing Dungeoneering or a slight decrease. The skill won't be any more fun, and the shields won't be better, but since people can see what they do without having to read the Knowledge Base they will either be more interested or less interested.

Based on what I have read in this thread, this update will be recieved positively by either a majority of players or a minority.

Brilliant! Have you considered getting into politics?

I think we can also expect either a slight increase in the number of people playing Dungeoneering or a slight decrease. The skill won't be any more fun, and the shields won't be better, but since people can see what they do without having to read the Knowledge Base they will either be more interested or less interested.

Based on what I have read in this thread, this update will be recieved positively by either a majority of players or a minority.

This update will cause either a slight increase or slight decrease in the number of people using the fish flinger D&D. The D&D won't be any more fun, and the tackle box won't be better, but since people can see what they do without having to read the knowledge base they will either be more interested or less interested.

I like this game.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

All those symbols look painful. Too much clutter. Couldn't it be something like purple=mage, red=melee, and orange=range? With gray=other person's? Heal splats in Dungeoneering could be changed to magenta. Having splats in a bunch of extra colors would look cleaner, I'd think.

And when elemental damage actually starts to matter more than a type hitting more often (water vs volcano creatures, fire vs metal dragons [2x damage vs ice wyrms, healing elemental mages])... would that mean that we will be dealing with all the colours of a daggonoth mother?

perhaps when you hit your max, something special happens?

oh god YES that would make max hit calculators so much easier to research and perfect

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, and I'd be pretty happy if it was. Given the popularity of 99 strength and maxing, this would appease about 99% of the population.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.