[DevBlog] Hit Marks: Damage Control

Mil

Just another constitution-like update to confuse us even more :rolleyes: I'm really not looking forward to this :(

Wait... confuse us? The update will be making things much more clear, not confusing. It was already confusing trying to figure out which hit was yours without looking at your exp. Now it will show you exactly which hit you did, how is that confusing? Also, you'll know what type of damage every monster is dealing to you, how is that confusing? I am confused by your post more than anything.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another constitution-like update to confuse us even more :rolleyes: I'm really not looking forward to this :(

Confuse us? You must be grouping yourself with the majority of <50 iq rsof community... While the rest of us with high learning capabilities accept the change and enjoy its usefullness.

Assbackwards thinking.

Anybody with >50iq has already learned to identify what style monsters attack with.

Anybody not afking has enough situational awareness to know what is attacking them and with what styles.

The "zeros are horrible and lets get them out of the game" line from mod insipid all but proves this update is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to grab wow-like game players at the expense of runescape's defining style and traditions.

Its a horriblely flawed strategy since game players that seek simplicity, everything handed to them on a platter, and state-of-the-art graphics would never be drawn to runescape even if you dress it up with a little pink hitsplat skirt.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

[spoiler=Hitsplat Spam Image]newhitsplats-1.jpg

This is exactly why I'm against it (although that is slightly more exaggerated). There was nothing wrong with Hitpoints before the Constitution "update," but they decided to add a purposeless extra digit which makes the splat larger (and therefore reduce visibility), anyway. Now they're going to baby us with more useless "updates" that only help brand new players (while making the game more annoying for everyone else).

I know what I'm being attacked with when someone uses Ice Barrage on me. I know what I'm being attacked with when someone uses Diamond Bolts (e) on me. I know what I'm being attacked with when someone slashes me with a whip. Anyone who has played one damn game of Castle Wars knows the difference. Also, anyone who has reached the Abandoned Floors of Dung should know that Shades use both mage and ranged. Adding little icons which reduce visibility even more than before? No thanks.

"OMG my hits are in vibrant red while others' are in maroon. Now people can finally believe it was my 500! [Goes to a boss] Omg can't hit 500s anymore must be a glitch. Riot W66 Fally for nerfing strength." <--- Logic of immature players who actually care who hits what.

"OMG I didn't know that sharks heal 200, good thing Jagex tells me every single time I eat them now." <--- Logic of players with bad short term memories as a result of too much caffeine and/or ADHD.

"OMG I can't see the BIG Deflect Melee curse icon over someone's head so I hope they add a SMALL one so I can see it better."<--- Logic of players who aren't even old enough to play.

This may even be the most pointless update since they added those Beginner Gates to the game... without removing them on P2P worlds... (Honestly who's going to pay $6/month to a game they know nothing about? No one.) Pointless updates are pointless. No one is going to quit over such a worthless update, so Jagex will proceed, regardless of the opinions of the players. While we're at it, let's make hits x10,000 instead of x10 since someone will (quite cleverly) reply saying it's not spamming the screen.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

This is exactly why I'm against it (although that is slightly more exaggerated). There was nothing wrong with Hitpoints before the Constitution "update," but they decided to add a purposeless extra digit which makes the splat larger (and therefore reduce visibility), anyway. Now they're going to baby us with more useless "updates" that only help brand new players (while making the game more annoying for everyone else).

I know what I'm being attacked with when someone uses Ice Barrage on me. I know what I'm being attacked with when someone uses Diamond Bolts (e) on me. I know what I'm being attacked with when someone slashes me with a whip. Anyone who has played one damn game of Castle Wars knows the difference. Also, anyone who has reached the Abandoned Floors of Dung should know that Shades use both mage and ranged. Adding little icons which reduce visibility even more than before? No thanks.

"OMG my hits are in vibrant red while others' are in maroon. Now people can finally believe it was my 500! [Goes to a boss] Omg can't hit 500s anymore must be a glitch. Riot W66 Fally for nerfing strength." <--- Logic of immature players who actually care who hits what.

"OMG I didn't know that sharks heal 200, good thing Jagex tells me every single time I eat them now." <--- Logic of players with bad short term memories as a result of too much caffeine and/or ADHD.

"OMG I can't see the BIG Deflect Melee curse icon over someone's head so I hope they add a SMALL one so I can see it better."<--- Logic of players who aren't even old enough to play.

This may even be the most pointless update since they added those Beginner Gates to the game... without removing them on P2P worlds... (Honestly who's going to pay $6/month to a game they know nothing about? No one.) Pointless updates are pointless. No one is going to quit over such a worthless update, so Jagex will proceed, regardless of the opinions of the players. While we're at it, let's make hits x10,000 instead of x10 since someone will (quite cleverly) reply saying it's not spamming the screen.

I don't get why people are against this update... First off the pic with the hitsplat spam, they are only going to be adding an extra splat for damage soaked up by shields. If you don't have one you will still have the same number of hit splats, only you will be able to tell what kind of damage you are taking.

Of course anyone whos played a game of castle wars will realize how to tell what style a person is using. Now there are bloodvelds and wyverns which i still comonly see people debating what kind of style they are using. To have a definative answer for this would be great. And then there is also pileing. If you got six plus people pileing you what prayer should you use? If you can actually tell what style each is using it will be a great help in team games.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Im excited for this! Especially looking forward to the attack specific icons! :)

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

Are you just trying to say that you're against an update that helps newer players out?

Simply because you hate updates that help new players out?

Naaxi.png

[spoiler=Quote]This is exactly why I'm against it (although that is slightly more exaggerated). There was nothing wrong with Hitpoints before the Constitution "update," but they decided to add a purposeless extra digit which makes the splat larger (and therefore reduce visibility), anyway. Now they're going to baby us with more useless "updates" that only help brand new players (while making the game more annoying for everyone else).

I don't get why people are against this update... First off the pic with the hitsplat spam, they are only going to be adding an extra splat for damage soaked up by shields. If you don't have one you will still have the same number of hit splats, only you will be able to tell what kind of damage you are taking.

Of course anyone whos played a game of castle wars will realize how to tell what style a person is using. Now there are bloodvelds and wyverns which i still comonly see people debating what kind of style they are using. To have a definative answer for this would be great. And then there is also pileing. If you got six plus people pileing you what prayer should you use? If you can actually tell what style each is using it will be a great help in team games.

The update is not limited to damage soaked by shields. Jagex had a poll on the healsplats from Dung, so that is why I mentioned those as well.

Wyverns and Bloodvelds? Trial and error.

Tank (torags, DFS, d boots, fury, skill cape, Enhanced Excalibur spec, etc) + p mage is really all you need. Tanking stops most melee/ranged damage while p mage stops what 40-60% of mage? If you're a mage, farcast meleers + p range. If you're a ranger (with dragonhide that has high mage def), p melee. That's all 3 styles blocked out, no need to know what the pile is doing.

Are you just trying to say that you're against an update that helps newer players out?

Simply because you hate updates that help new players out?

Keep updates exclusively for new players in the Beginner Area. That's its whole purpose. (Before someone mentions it, I said the Beginner Area is useless in P2P, not F2P).

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I'm fine with this. I'll welcome it just as I welcomed the constitution update.

I think the hitsplats look fine, I don't think this will cause clutter, and I think the secret update is healing splats and/or avatar update.

4e0Vn.png

1)The update is not limited to damage soaked by shields. Jagex had a poll on the healsplats from Dung, so that is why I mentioned those as well.

2)Wyverns and Bloodvelds? Trial and error.

3)Tank (torags, DFS, d boots, fury, skill cape, Enhanced Excalibur spec, etc) + p mage is really all you need. Tanking stops most melee/ranged damage while p mage stops what 40-60% of mage? If you're a mage, farcast meleers + p range. If you're a ranger (with dragonhide that has high mage def), p melee. That's all 3 styles blocked out, no need to know what the pile is doing.

1)true, but then i've been doing dung for so long now that i start panic eating when i don't see the healing splats so its not to bad of a thing for me.

2) even with trial and error there is still a controversy as to what they actually use. I've been seeing a lot of people latly at bloods with bandos armour and shields and they still argue with me about whether they have a magical melee attack. They do but they just kill them to fast to really notice it. Even more so with wyverns. Youd be surprised at the number of people who call me a noob for using range prayer against them while they are using mage prayer. There breath attack is magical yes but mage pray doesn't block it. Having these questions answered without having to get into a lengthy debate every task would be awsome for me.

3) what about games like stealing creation? High levels comonly use familars to hide themselves so you can't see what style they are using. And even with torags it is sometimes better to pray melee or range depending on how many of them are pileing you compared to mages. Same for other armour types.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

1)The update is not limited to damage soaked by shields. Jagex had a poll on the healsplats from Dung, so that is why I mentioned those as well.

2)Wyverns and Bloodvelds? Trial and error.

3)Tank (torags, DFS, d boots, fury, skill cape, Enhanced Excalibur spec, etc) + p mage is really all you need. Tanking stops most melee/ranged damage while p mage stops what 40-60% of mage? If you're a mage, farcast meleers + p range. If you're a ranger (with dragonhide that has high mage def), p melee. That's all 3 styles blocked out, no need to know what the pile is doing.

1)true, but then i've been doing dung for so long now that i start panic eating when i don't see the healing splats so its not to bad of a thing for me.

2) even with trial and error there is still a controversy as to what they actually use. I've been seeing a lot of people latly at bloods with bandos armour and shields and they still argue with me about whether they have a magical melee attack. They do but they just kill them to fast to really notice it. Even more so with wyverns. Youd be surprised at the number of people who call me a noob for using range prayer against them while they are using mage prayer. There breath attack is magical yes but mage pray doesn't block it. Having these questions answered without having to get into a lengthy debate every task would be awsome for me.

3) what about for games like stealing creation? High levels comonly use familars to hide themselves so you can't see what style they are using. And even with torags it is sometimes better to pray melee or range depending on how many of them are pileing you over ranges. Same for other armour types.

1) I always found the healsplats intrusive at Dung bosses actually. I know how much a lobster/monkfish/shark heals, I don't need to see 12/16/20 (*10) every time I eat. I do, however, need to know what monsters and bosses hit. It's annoying enough at Dungeoneering imo. I would MUCH rather see what I'm being hit for than what I'm eating. I'll tell you what, as long as HITsplats take precedence over HEALsplats (in terms of which is visible, regardless of the order in which they occur), I honestly don't care if they're implemented or not (although I could still do without the clutter).

2) Misinformed players shouldn't be your priority. Keep in mind that you're more intelligent and ignore them if they harass you over it.

3) That's about the only time it would be useful (unless that's the whole purpose of using a familiar there, I'm not sure, I don't SC often). Implement it into one minigame (SC), guide mode at Dung, and the Beginner Area in F2P. I'd be fine with that. Also, I tank Claws/AGS specs all the time, usually resulting in 0s or other low numbers. Most people just have 70-75 Defense, so that wouldn't be of any use to them.

Hamtaro.png

For the "OMG sharks heall 200" crowd: Sharks are not the only option, your opponent could have an inventory full of pie, or perhaps be munching away at both his wallet and rocktails, both of which are a major difference in pvp.

Personally I'd like healsplats, because I'm a healler. I like taking the extra attention and care while in a group to get people emergency heals should they be lagging. It's what makes me feel good. And an indicator of whether they've healled themselves already would be nice.

I'd love the attack style marker as I'd like to get a clue when I'm cycling through prayers on a new boss and still getting hit.

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Dumbest update since constitution guaranteed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

Jagex motto, "One must always temper success by changing everything to appeal to those that don't even play your game over those that do."

Now all we need is flashing strobe lights, tons of explosions, and more numbers flashing on the screen than at the New York Stock Exchange and the wowification can be complete.

No one cares. Don't be so pompous, with that insipid quote in your sig about 99 agility, I can tell already your temperament when it comes to changes. As a note to all other users, which I'm sure they've already noticed, you're not accepting to any change Tremblake, and I'm not making that superficial quip at you based on this one post. But based on every post you make that makes me go ugh irl. You're a cantankerous personality, which doesn't add to this forum; I may spam and troll, but at least it's all in good humor. Stop raining on everyone else's parade, just because Jagex rained on yours.

I love this update :D Just not the shape of the hits. A square? Lets keep the splats please :)

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

For the "OMG sharks heall 200" crowd: Sharks are not the only option, your opponent could have an inventory full of pie, or perhaps be munching away at both his wallet and rocktails, both of which are a major difference in pvp.

Personally I'd like healsplats, because I'm a healler. I like taking the extra attention and care while in a group to get people emergency heals should they be lagging. It's what makes me feel good. And an indicator of whether they've healled themselves already would be nice.

I'd love the attack style marker as I'd like to get a clue when I'm cycling through prayers on a new boss and still getting hit.

Healsplats would be hell in PvP. My argument about Sharks healing 200 every single time was for slaying or bosses.

Imagine as you're being claw spec'd you eat. Let's say it hit 647-12-0-35. As you're being spec'd you eat a shark, and instead of seeing the 647 against you, you see the purple 200 and think they fail the spec. Guess who gets KO'd because of healsplat spam? I'll have to pass on having that in PvP (or bosses for that matter). If you're going to say "you can see the healthbar," I say the same to you.

For the second part of your post, again, trial and error.

Hamtaro.png

Healsplats would be hell in PvP. My argument about Sharks healing 200 every single time was for slaying or bosses.

Imagine as you're being claw spec'd you eat. Let's say it hit 647-12-0-35. As you're being spec'd you eat a shark, and instead of seeing the 647 against you, you see the purple 200 and think they fail the spec. Guess who gets KO'd because of healsplat spam? I'll have to pass on having that in PvP (or bosses for that matter). If you're going to say "you can see the healthbar," I say the same to you.

Seriously though, you CAN see the health bar, and your life points in the corner of your screen by your map. If you can't keep track of when to eat based off of this, and need to see what you're getting hit for everytime, you should stay off PvP worlds. Now I'm not saying it doesn't help to see what you're getting hit for, but did Jagex ever say that heal splats would cover damage splats? No. For all we know the heal splats could appear over your health bar. Just relax and wait until it's released before you get mad.

Personally, I think this looks like a good update. And to all the haters, did you bother to look at the pics very closely at all? Notice in the corner is says "Work in progress". That means that none of this is set in stone yet. It could be ENTIRELY different than the pics when it is released into the game. How about instead of ranting and raving over a future update that is still being worked on, you just grit your teeth and wait until they put it into the game and you can see how you like it then. You never know what it'll be like, so you all just need to chill out and stop getting mad about something that is still being worked on.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

When i read the title i thought it'd be about something else, a much more pressing issue...but then again, where was i to think jagex would care about that.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Seriously though, you CAN see the health bar, and your life points in the corner of your screen by your map. If you can't keep track of when to eat based off of this, and need to see what you're getting hit for everytime, you should stay off PvP worlds. Now I'm not saying it doesn't help to see what you're getting hit for, but did Jagex ever say that heal splats would cover damage splats? No. For all we know the heal splats could appear over your health bar. Just relax and wait until it's released before you get mad.

Personally, I think this looks like a good update. And to all the haters, did you bother to look at the pics very closely at all? Notice in the corner is says "Work in progress". That means that none of this is set in stone yet. It could be ENTIRELY different than the pics when it is released into the game. How about instead of ranting and raving over a future update that is still being worked on, you just grit your teeth and wait until they put it into the game and you can see how you like it then. You never know what it'll be like, so you all just need to chill out and stop getting mad about something that is still being worked on.

But you can see your healthbar go up when you eat so that really is a poor argument to use. I would not be satisfied without a toggle or a compromise of some sort. Keep it out of all PvP situations and boss monsters (or anything 1.5x your combat level), for instance. Also, the point of having "work in progress" written on the pictures is to obtain feedback, which is what I'm giving. My so-called "rants" are feedback of what I thought of the Dev Blog as well as a related poll from a month or so ago.

About the healsplats showing over hits (that they should not), that is one of the compromises I already suggested in a previous post of mine. It happens at Dung all the time which is why I bring it up...

Hamtaro.png

Why not just make healsplats appear on your character, while hitsplats appear hovering above like they usually do?

So you can see the damage you took, and what you've healed at the same time?

No.png

CLICK THE IMAGE TO GO TRY SHARK ATTACK DANGIT.

Dude, you actually use the health bar and life points in the corner? I keep track of my HP through the damage I receive. Health bar is to inaccurate and the LP circle is way to far away from the action on the main screen.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

@Meal:

Thats not it I'm afraid. Remind me when I'm back on Monday and I'll fill you in on healsplats... IMO I think the unique feature much cooler.

This was posted on his discussion thread for the DevBlog. I think we can rule out healsplats now.

Sylpheed.png