[DevBlog] Hit Marks: Damage Control

Mil

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited for this. It's one of those little things that's going to improve our daily Runescape experience. Like someone else said, crashing, corp beast, bosses, PKing, etc, are all going to be more . . . informational? I don't know what word to use, but it's a good word. It'll be easier to figure out what future bosses are doing to you, but it'll be a little sad to never have the "GWD Experience" again (teams finding new ways to kill the bosses more effectively, making huge profits for as long as they kept it secret or no one else discovered it, though I suppose that wasn't entirely damage-type related).

All in all, I'm eager to see the update. Being a competitive player in it comes to slayer, MHing, and PVP, I imagine this would only help me.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Dumbest update since constitution guaranteed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

Jagex motto, "One must always temper success by changing everything to appeal to those that don't even play your game over those that do."

Now all we need is flashing strobe lights, tons of explosions, and more numbers flashing on the screen than at the New York Stock Exchange and the wowification can be complete.

Was that a posh way of saying that this update seems to be aimed at those who do not play the game? Well, I would find that statement purely wrong. All of the changes were given reasons which have been highlighted by actual players, and over the years have been noted by most people. I see this much like the rest and agility updates. It will take a while go get used to, but even though it will actually change very little, it will improve the game a lot.

Also, what spell is being used in picture 1?

I'd have to especially agree with the first part, I don't see this update as being aimed at non-players. Although I'd prefer less clutter then what it seems is coming, there are a few main points I look forward to, the brighter color hits for your own damage, and knowing what kind of damage you are taking. The later seems especially useful at DKS, in case you accidentally pull one of the kings, as well as at TDs, and oh so many other places, even PvP.I do hope those bright purple healing splashes don't come in, wouldn't like those for PvP especially, and they are just ugly.

What I'll like is always being able to see how much damage divine soaked up, but for those using elysian, this update will be far more informative.

I also don't really see the "problem" with 0s.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

They could've also used colours instead of cramping it up like this, can you imagine a Vengeance hit+ring of recoil+d claws spec all connecting at the same time?

Colours

Melee: Red

Ranged: Green

Magic : Blue

(and change the colour of poison).

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

Personally I like this idea. The ability to see what damage YOU did without looking at your xp and guessing will be nice. and seeing what the damage you are dealt is reduced by is also a nice change. plus what attack style you are getting hit with. I don't see why people are complaining about it. We don't even know the specifics of what they will really look like. wait for it to actually come out before complaining?

hmmm apperently you will be able to see 6 hitmarks at the same time when it comes out according to mod chris on the thread about this blog.... okk that might get a tad bit crowded.

however the "miss" icon apparently has a very low chance of making it in too. Hence the disclaimer.

Melencholy.png

Questcape first achieved: Sept 20, 2009
99 agility march 11th 2010

99 Magic - some point in 2012

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

Dumbest update since constitution guaranteed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

Jagex motto, "One must always temper success by changing everything to appeal to those that don't even play your game over those that do."

Now all we need is flashing strobe lights, tons of explosions, and more numbers flashing on the screen than at the New York Stock Exchange and the wowification can be complete.

So you like the shades in dunj hitting you and you not knowing what to protect from? I think the icons next to the splats will be quite benificial for a lot of people. I'd love to know what those shades are using because no matter what I protect from, they always hit me.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

To quote MMG, "Insipid".

I hope they give us the option to turn the system off or simplify it to just a damage splat. Kinda like how we can chose to turn off those stupid icon things on everything.... Like ohh i need to know this is a door cause i would have had no idea of what this is... ohh this is a fish no [cabbage] really ohh and i can eat this cooked fish wow thank you i had no clue.... Ohh i can attack this goblin, oh my I would have thought i should try to fletch him into a bow, thank you little icon......

I agree. I hope we can turn it off. I do like the "personal touch" to dealing damage, which will help with knowing how well you are doing at different bosses. Other then that, I find it a pointless waste of time. It takes all of 0.3 seconds to figure out what type of attack you are being dealt. And I very much hope they do not add the healing splats.

For example, if you are soloing bandos with a divine or something. You would have graardor and 3 minions on you for 4 total hitsplats. Then, you have the 4 splats that your divine blocks. And 2 splats from healing w/ sara brews. So that could get up to 10 splats at once. And you have the damn icons next to everything further spamming the screen, so that would be 4+4+2 = 10 splats and then you have at least 8 little icons. How are you going to see your character?

I guess we will be able to find out what kind of attacks nomad actually uses though.

pere_grin.png

Would it kill them to upload .PNG screenshots instead of .JPG? <_<

What's wrong with .jpg?

In this case it was obiviously the superior choice :thumbup:

Besides the fact that .JPG makes the image lower quality?

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

What's wrong with .jpg?

So you don't know how to save images properly? Not everyone uses paint to save their images you silly boy.

If you have problems with .JPG you might want to try irfanview for saving your images instead. It's a nice freeware software with great image saving options!

Not saying that .png is always the worse choice.

http://sam.ihku.fi/uploads/hit_types.jpg

http://sam.ihku.fi/uploads/hit_types.png

Exactly the same quality, compare the sizes ;)

I think you might be overreacting just a tad but I see that your points are valid....

Which is why it's good that they are actually TELLING us what the heck they're doing ahead of time so they can get input.

Hopefully they're doing more than just glancing at the input though.

Also whatever that last feature is, it better not be a really stupid one because the irony factor of not telling us would be off the charts.

Question: how would the display handle mixed type damage, like magic type melee?

8f14270694.jpg

I can't wait for this update, the icons will be extremely useful especially for dungeoneering, and the the ability to see your hits from the crowd has been suggested for years now. This new look does however give the game more of a cartoony feel, but i'll get used to it just like I have with every other update so I won't complain.

I swear to god if they add healing hitsplats...

I agree, I would hate this...What the hell would be the point of this anyway? I mean everyone knows when you eat a shark it heals 200 lp...

Crusading.png

RIP 0's

AMG b00 h00 WAAAAAAAAAAAA we git no moar z3r0s. i st0p playin runesape naow Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry:

srsly who cares if they remove zeros, or if they add healsplats... I think this is going to be a good update, I like all the aspects of it especially the color change depending on who is damaging the monster. +1 jagex :thumbup:

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

As long as this doesn't make combat more laggy, I'm fine with it. A game needs to be updated to keep it from looking like it was made 10 years ago, and the people who don't understand this are just afraid of change. I don't see this update affecting the game that much, but it will be nice.

RIP 0's

AMG b00 h00 WAAAAAAAAAAAA we git no moar z3r0s. i st0p playin runesape naow Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry:

srsly who cares if they remove zeros, or if they add healsplats... I think this is going to be a good update, I like all the aspects of it especially the color change depending on who is damaging the monster. +1 jagex :thumbup:

dear lord i [bleep]ing hate people who start their post off with sarcasm... more [bleep]ing annoying than grammar nazis

Disregard females.

Acquire currency.

What's wrong with .jpg?

So you don't know how to save images properly? Not everyone uses paint to save their images you silly boy.

If you have problems with .JPG you might want to try irfanview for saving your images instead. It's a nice freeware software with great image saving options!

sure they're the same quality: horrible.

look near the ropes on the fence to see the artifacts of saving in jpg format

fishing.gif

Just another constitution-like update to confuse us even more :rolleyes: I'm really not looking forward to this :(

Confuse us? You must be grouping yourself with the majority of <50 iq rsof community... While the rest of us with high learning capabilities accept the change and enjoy its usefullness.

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

What's wrong with .jpg?

sure they're the same quality: horrible.

look near the ropes on the fence to see the artifacts of saving in jpg format

@Quote train above

Actually, .jpg (short for JPEG) is far less quality when made from the origional image because the purpose of .jpg is to compress the image. See quote below.

The internal compression algorithm of the JPEG format, unlike the GIF format, actually throws out information. Depending on what settings you use, the thrown out data may or may not be visible to the eye.

.png does not compress the image as .jpg does and uses the picture up to the maximum 24 bits of color depending on what the image needs. Because of this the .png file is bigger, clearer, and overall better (except for animations).

The reason Jagex does not use .png (despite the fact the .png format can have less distortion) is because .png formats have trouble working on lower versions of IE browsers since they were developed past the point the browsers were created. Jagex is all about using a format even people from the dark ages can see, so they use .jpg. This is also why many big corporations use the .jpg and .gif formats instead of the newer .png

Also as far as translation of file types. A .png -> .jpg will lose quality because the .jpg compresses the 2nd image. .JPG -> .PNG will not lose quality since the png image was already compressed in the first picture.

And for the hit splats, I think they could be a very nice addition to the game. It might be useful in certain areas, for example proving what attacks Corp really uses. There isn't really evidence that all his "long range" attacks are magic and not ranged because he ignores armor and some prayer. It will be interesting to see if that is the case.

Is this some kind of joke?

Of course saving an already .JPG'd (for lack of better word) as a .PNG won't make the .PNG better quality. Just read the post above.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!