Minecraft General

demby123

I absolutely love Minecraft! Recently though, I bought the game, and I'm just not sure how to approach it. I mean, I watched all of X's videos, which got me into the game, but how do I create something that is original and interesting? :huh:

Basically, I started playing Classic, and yeah, it was pretty awesome what I was trying to build, but I'm not sure how to work with Alpha. My goal was to find a nice island and build a huge defensive wall around it with minecarts, but not sure about the architectural approach :unsure:

Well first of all, you can't dive in like in Classic. You have to actually work to make stuff, not just build it at free will.

You're going to need wood to make planks, so that you can make a shelter to survive the first night, and make tools. Then go to some stone, mine it and make stone tools.

I suggest reading up on Minecraft Wiki, particularly this: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Beginner%27s_guide

Thanks, but I already understand all that stuff :P Probably should have mentioned I read up a lot of stuff and watched videos on beginning and how to play.

More of what I meant was that I have a general idea of what I want to build in mind, it's just the details that make building said things confusing. For example: I want to make a castle; length, width, height, features, and the whole rest of it makes it confusing.

Although, you're probably right. I should probably make a warehouse and collect a stockpile of materials first.

I tend to just give myself items and mess around on a world until I make something I like then I implement it into one of the worlds I actually play on.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Thanks, but I already understand all that stuff :P Probably should have mentioned I read up a lot of stuff and watched videos on beginning and how to play.

More of what I meant was that I have a general idea of what I want to build in mind, it's just the details that make building said things confusing. For example: I want to make a castle; length, width, height, features, and the whole rest of it makes it confusing.

Although, you're probably right. I should probably make a warehouse and collect a stockpile of materials first.

My castle is more of a never ending WIP. You don't need specifications or anything. Just imagine something, and build it. That's the fun part, trial and error ;) Although if you wanted to, you can build 1:1 models of actual buildings.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Some new screenshots of my settlement. :P

Haven't really started building anything big yet. I'm getting supplies first.

My house. Replaced the dirt with stone and added some other small stuff.

2011-01-06_024102.png

Stairs that lead even further down.

2011-01-06_024646.png

The cave that has become about twice as deep.

2011-01-06_024720.png

Overview of my world.

map1-obliqueangle-day.png

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

I don't have that much in the way of suggestions for spicing Minecraft up again, but here goes.

If you only play vanilla Minecraft with no mods, try poking around the Modding subsection of the Minecraft forum for some mods you might be interested in, dl and install them, and try playing with them. I found my interest renewed somewhat when I start fooling around with some mods (particularly grappling hook, controllerbloc - which hasn't been updated for single player beta, sadly -, and other ones for me). Texture packs may also do something if you wanted to try those.

Other than that, just try setting a goal for something you want to build and work towards it. If the process of gathering the materials bores you, just use Invedit or something to give yourself the blocks, and build away.

You could, assuming you don't already play on hard difficulty, switch it up to hard. I found it a bit more entertaining for a while when just about everything could kill me instantly if I got caught off guard for a second. Or come up with your own challenge. I've tried the 'pick a random direction, and just wander for a week on peaceful, and then start building in the first decent spot I find after that, then switch back up to hard' thing before. It's slightly more thrilling to know if you die, you're just about guaranteed to lose everything, but it's not as extreme as PC Gamer's Minecraft Experiment in which the guy deletes the world if he dies. Plus I think it'd be interesting to see how often you find your way back to the ruins of your old bases - back when I first started and I still died a lot back then, I found my old bases constantly because I had no sense of direction and I never found my old base after death, so I just built a new one >.<

All I can suggest, really.

Link_Olaran.png

My base is right by my spawn point ;)

Or at least my old one is, but they are still connected by a short mine cart ride through the sky.

I'm currrently building a mega sky scraper, which goes from sea level to the clouds. It's going to take a while :thumbdown:

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

After nine months, Minecraft has gotten kind of boring... Any suggestions?

Im assuming you have been playing multiplayer?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Started work on my sewer system, or as it seems it will be, pipe. I was hoping I'd be lucky and it'd spill out onto the beach, but I was two blocks below, going to try and fix that somehow.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I'm trying to find a tropical-island/cove type map with the Biome Mod since Hoodoo got a little boring. This mod's a [bleep] to get what you want.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Started work on my sewer system, or as it seems it will be, pipe. I was hoping I'd be lucky and it'd spill out onto the beach, but I was two blocks below, going to try and fix that somehow.

Sounds good, enlighten us with pics?

Just finished a mob trapper under my castle using waterfalls more or less. Anybody have any other suggestions?

ojdv.jpg

I also have a tunnel I need to work around. Hmmm. Not sure if I'm going to make the pipe run the entire distance of my street or not.

And yeah, it's not that pipe-y, considering the lack of circle-y-ness.

#rpgformod

Is it...dare say it? Squary?

I would add a block at the corners to make it look a bit more circular, if you haven't done so already.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

It's very early in the building process, so I may build out and make them larger, what do you think? The middle lower path thing shall have water in it.

[hide=Dem pics.]Beginnings01.png

Beginnings02.png[/hide]

I'll have to dig down if so, I'm right under my street I built :3

#rpgformod