TheAncient

An Elitist's View on Crashing

Ah yes -- how silly of me. It's ALL about YOU, isn't it?

It's about what YOU want, right? YOU must come FIRST before EVERYONE ELSE, because goodness knows that YOU are more important than the world at large, right?

Is this what civilization is reduced to? The point where self-indulgence takes precedence over decent human behaviour, and then gloats over it?

If so, then we're in one sad situation ... :unsure:

If you're so selfless, why do you have a problem with giving up a spot to a crasher? Practice what you preach and whatnot?

I always offer to share the spot. ALWAYS. :shame:

then you're just a tool who society takes advantage of :thumbsup:

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

But in a perfect world it wouldn't. Should we help towards a better society than say it sucks and be with it? If you do the second, surely you are the tool. However, this is getting rather off topic (if you want to talk about society as a whole, use the Off-topic forum)

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

It's about what YOU want, right? YOU must come FIRST before EVERYONE ELSE, because goodness knows that YOU are more important than the world at large, right?

Is this what civilization is reduced to? The point where self-indulgence takes precedence over decent human behaviour, and then gloats over it?

If you're so selfless, why do you have a problem with giving up a spot to a crasher? Practice what you preach and whatnot?

then you're just a tool who society takes advantage of :thumbsup:

LOL -- no, I am mother of three children who likewise play Runescape. I lead by example.

nyuseg.png

But in a perfect world it wouldn't. Should we help towards a better society than say it sucks and be with it? If you do the second, surely you are the tool. However, this is getting rather off topic (if you want to talk about society as a whole, use the Off-topic forum)

ideally yes. but the only realistic solutions to this issue, which we have already discussed, involve changing game mechanics, and jagex is highly unlikely to do so or care.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

unstable equilibrium. in other words, it wouldn't work.

all it takes is one person crashing and goodbye stability - you will revert to the society driven by rational egoism (homo economicus).

Good for you. You're setting an example for your kids by extending a token of generosity when you get in a conflict. Nothing wrong with that; in fact, it's an admirable sentiment. But please don't set your personal standards higher than anyone else expects of you and then admonish others for not adhering to the same code.

ideally yes. but the only realistic solutions to this issue, which we have already discussed, involve changing game mechanics, and jagex is highly unlikely to do so or care.

Your mother never taught you "sharing"? :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Good for you. You're setting an example for your kids by extending a token of generosity when you get in a conflict. Nothing wrong with that; in fact, it's an admirable sentiment. But please don't set your personal standards higher than anyone else expects of you and then admonish others for not adhering to the same code.

Just to add to that, should be also then ignore those who set their standards lower than the average, rather than letting them run amok?

At what level is our average and balance?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

she did. then my dad taught me to think as well.

OT: to expect everyone to share is just unrealistic in this situation. why don't we all share houses, for example?

sigcopyaf.png

Just to add to that, should be also then ignore those who set their standards lower than the average, rather than letting them run amok?

At what level is our average and balance?

Clearly defined here.

OT: to expect everyone to share is just unrealistic in this situation. why don't we all share houses, for example?

I see -- and your father taught you what, exactly? How to claw away at other children in order that you can attain the top of the crap heap?

Food, shelter, clothing -- these are the essentials of life. They can all be shared, and often are, given certain circumstances within the social environment.

Really -- are you comparing a compilation of pixels with the essentials of life? Do these pixels REALLY mean that much to you?

If so -- I think you REALLY need to re-consider your values. No. Really.

nyuseg.png

i believe you are the one comparing runescape monster spawns to real life.

No - I am comparing social behaviour at said spots with social behaviour in the outside world.

nyuseg.png

I see -- and your father taught you what, exactly? How to claw away at other children in order that you can attain the top of the crap heap?

Food, shelter, clothing -- these are the essentials of life. They can all be shared, and often are, given certain circumstances within the social environment.

Really -- are you comparing a compilation of pixels with the essentials of life? Do these pixels REALLY mean that much to you?

We're not here to say that sharing is bad. There's no need to respond as if your moral values are under attack.

No - I am comparing social behaviour at said spots with social behaviour in the outside world.

which is ridiculous - imagine if i told you to stop shooting people in call of duty because it's antisocial.

hint: it's not antisocial to shoot people IN CALL OF DUTY. in real life it is because the social norm is to not shoot people. in call of duty the social norm is to shoot people. in runescape the social norm is to kill monsters.

We're not here to say that sharing is bad. There's no need to respond as if your moral values are under attack.

Oh trust me -- I am not worried about my "moral values".

I am, however, worried in the interesting trends I see within our so-called "civilization" -- i.e. that thin veneer of decency that the vast majority of humanity pretends to put on, and then gleefully peels away whenever they think no one is watching. :unsure:

You know -- like when they're playing games on the internet ... <_<

nyuseg.png

which is ridiculous - imagine if i told you to stop shooting people in call of duty because it's antisocial.

hint: it's not antisocial to shoot people IN CALL OF DUTY. in real life it is because the social norm is to not shoot people. in call of duty the social norm is to shoot people. in runescape the social norm is to kill monsters.

LOL -- you're missing the point. Either that or you're deliberately mis-directing the point, which amounts to the same thing.

Start again.

nyuseg.png

If people would just read the thread, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. I don't even want to get involved in this one. It's yet another fundamental misunderstanding of WHY people crash. It has absolutely nothing to do with morals and everything to do with there being two or three players fighting over Graar on EVERY non-LS world. Blame Jagex for throwing a single steak to a thousand starving players.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I am, however, worried in the interesting trends I see within our so-called "civilization" -- i.e. that thin veneer of decency that the vast majority of humanity pretends to put on, and then gleefully peels away whenever they think no one is watching. :unsure:

Cool philosophy bro. If you're gonna be ranting about the inner beast within us all, how about you take it to Off-Topic, though. :shades:

Indeed it rather sounds like you think you're quite something that you have penetrated this veneer to see the true nature of mankind. Did you think that that all yourself? Or are you just the next person to complain about how society/mankind are degrading? Because I can tell you, if you do a small historical survey, you'll find that the Romans already had this sort of thinking; there has always been that kind of sentiment. And I think we haven't really degraded as much as you'd expect if such doomthinking were actually to be a decent prediction of morality in the future.

LOL -- you're missing the point. Either that or you're deliberately mis-directing the point, which amounts to the same thing.

Start again.

He is not missing the point. You compare behaviour (social behaviour, even, how wonderful) in RS to behaviour in (non-RS) life. The behaviour is different. From this you somehow conclude the behaviour in RS is wrong? What you forget is that what you are simulated to do in RS is not the same as doing that IRL. Killing a person in RS is not the same as killing a person IRL. That goes for all actions performed. Even namecalling in RS is not the same as namecalling IRL (for one, you don't use your vocal chords). So you may think that crashing in RS is as bad as crashing IRL, but that is your opinion. In no way can you conclude that because someone thinks crashing IRL is bad, they must logically believe it is bad in RS as well.

Deliberately mis-directing the point also does not amount to accidentally missing the point, but w/e.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Although manners in this game are horrid.

When it comes to bosses,

I am a believer in the "Survival of the fittest" theory.

Meaning, When you get the maxed stats you are able to kill them more efficiently.

Do you see me complaining that I always get crashed when I go to bosses?

The answer is: No. I simply look for a uncrowded world. They have the better stats, They get the spot.

Not that I boss hunt anyways. I have bad luck when it comes to drops.

Was watching a movie when my girlfriend said, "Lol, these two guys are trying to crash me at TDs." So I hopped on the other PC, grabbed a full inventory of Saradomin Brews and a few Prayer Potions and went and grabbed every TD in the world and brought them over.

Now the funny thing is they immediately said, "Nice lifes" (Good spelling / grammar to begin with). They sat there for a half hour to an hour saying, "Makes more sense for one to hop then two."

So my opinion is this:

In worlds were crashing is a must, that's fine. If I'm at Bandos and people stronger then me with chaotics come in, I understand and I leave. But at TDs where there is always an open world, lootshare or not, crashing is just being an arrogant [bleep].

:). They learned their lesson when they almost died multiple times. ^^. They didn't even hop... They sat there so long their unicorns left and they had to restock. Haha! Not that I cared, I was watching a movie while AFKing. =).

crashing should only be done if you are the strongest. To a lower level/undergeared player its a waste of time to crash someone stronger then you.

That's pure and utter BS and you know it. Crashing seldom has anything to do with whether someone is higher level or better equipped. It entirely comes down to whether someone has a faster computer with a better connection.

Either way - it's plain rude.

Tired of these opinions. Prove it, make an arguement, but don't just say "OMG U SO ROOD"

Prove it.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Indeed it rather sounds like you think you're quite something that you have penetrated this veneer to see the true nature of mankind. Did you think that that all yourself? Or are you just the next person to complain about how society/mankind are degrading? Because I can tell you, if you do a small historical survey, you'll find that the Romans already had this sort of thinking; there has always been that kind of sentiment. And I think we haven't really degraded as much as you'd expect if such doomthinking were actually to be a decent prediction of morality in the future.

Yes, I am very well acquainted with the complaints and subsequent philosophies of the ancients. Plato, himself, in The Republic spoke of the woes befalling his own society and sought to find a manner in which he could create a "just society".

It is interesting to likewise note that, in Leviathan, Hobbes indicated that, given human nature to squabble over the limited resources presented to itself, the quality of human life without a social order was "cruel, brutish and short", and that the only way to maintain a decent quality of life for everyone was to form a "commonwealth", in which all of the members of society shared the benefits.

Of course, while I will admit that it appears that I may taken this discussion "off topic", there is still one underlying factor here.

All of your excuses about being "stronger" and therefore taking priority over other weaker players are, of course, entirely perfect examples of anti-social behaviour and -- for the most part -- all of your very poor efforts at trying to explain why you feel entitled to behave in this manner only suffice to demonstrate:

1. The degree to which your anti-social behaviour has degraded; and

2. The extent to which you will exert your better efforts to not have to take responsibility for your anti-social activities.

In other words, the only effective argument that you have provided to endorse your bad behaviour is "neener neener".

You know, during a similar discussion on another forum, I once argued with someone that the average Western country currently lives, roughly, 72 hours away from total chaos. All it takes is 72 hours before people will degrade from law-abiding social beings, back to cave-man-like "take whatever I want" creatures of no social conscience whatsoever.

That is – if people living in, say, the United States, for example, were relieved of those services that maintain the "social order" within their society – and which keep one another away from each other's throats – they would reduce themselves to utter chaos within three (3) days.

That prediction was made roughly 18 months prior to the Katrina disaster. Within 72 hours of Katrina hitting the Gulf Coast, I was proven correct.

The next time a similar disaster hits somewhere in the Western world – and the people are declined the luxuries of life that enforce them to follow the social order – there will again be another explosion of chaos within 72 hours.

Start again.

He is not missing the point. You compare behaviour (social behaviour, even, how wonderful) in RS to behaviour in (non-RS) life. The behaviour is different. From this you somehow conclude the behaviour in RS is wrong? What you forget is that what you are simulated to do in RS is not the same as doing that IRL. Killing a person in RS is not the same as killing a person IRL. That goes for all actions performed. Even namecalling in RS is not the same as namecalling IRL (for one, you don't use your vocal chords). So you may think that crashing in RS is as bad as crashing IRL, but that is your opinion. In no way can you conclude that because someone thinks crashing IRL is bad, they must logically believe it is bad in RS as well.

Deliberately mis-directing the point also does not amount to accidentally missing the point, but w/e.

Once again, all you're doing here is providing another excuse for poor social behaviour and saying that there is nothing that can, or should, be done about it.

Making excuses for bad behaviour – or explaining it in such a way as to make it seem more commonplace – does not an improvement make.

Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, it's time for people to actually take the contrary position to such behaviour with the intention of correcting or, at least, modifying said behaviour, with the eventual hope that such people could learn how to behave in any social environment?

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Oddly, this person's pretentious, condescending patronization is far more rude, impolite, and annoying than dealing with a polite crasher... I mean really - getting crashed is actually not that bad if the person doesn't flame you for it. I don't mind hopping if I have to.

Citing plato etc. is kind of laffable. it doesn't make you look smart.

sigcopyaf.png

Oddly, this person's pretentious, condescending patronization is far more rude, impolite, and annoying than dealing with a polite crasher... I mean really - getting crashed is actually not that bad if the person doesn't flame you for it. I don't mind hopping if I have to.

... slagging me for calling you on your anti-social behaviour isn't correcting your mistakes either ... :shame:

nyuseg.png