TheAncient

An Elitist's View on Crashing

Yes, but when they're growing up, the people who were there earlier aren't telling them that they can't vote, drink, drive a car, have sex, or run for office because they were there first and should GTFO and then actively slow or prevent these people from aging.

uhh that's excatly what they say

"once you're age XX, then you can vote/drink/drive etc."

here's what we say

"once you are higher combat, then you will be able to hold your world"

the only people saying that "noobs should just quit it's my boss" are meanie heads

edit: that's not profanity, quit your grudge lol and stop editing my posts.

Edited by bladewing

Well, see, when you do get to that level, and then come back, the guy's gonna be all like "go away, I was here first"

And I edited somewhere inbetween argument times to clarify that yes, that statement DOES go both ways, so just stop being silly for once and grow up for real

8f14270694.jpg

Yes, but when they're growing up, the people who were there earlier aren't telling them that they can't vote, drink, drive a car, have sex, or run for office because they were there first and should GTFO and then actively slow or prevent these people from aging.

The elitist view isn't that those lower levelled people should GTFO and not do anything they want. It's about the perspective of how you see the ownership of a training spot, either first comes first serve or survival of the fittest. Being higher levelled doesn't mean you deserve or own the spot any more than anyone else- you still have to fight for it.

You seem to be very much against anything where being the first should always have an edge, so why should a level 110 be left alone when soloing bandos- because he was already there? Or should he have to fight to retain his spot, just like others have done.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

as you can see, the 138 has a dominant strategy to stay in the room and kill graardors. a rational level 110 will leave, because he knows the 138 is going to stay - in which case his best strategy is to leave and go make 1m/h instead of making no money (actually losing because of supplies, but whatever).

i don't know what you're trying to prove. we all know that 138s stay and 110s hop - isn't that what this thread is about?

Obviously, you have deliberately missed the point once again -- you're efforts at trying to justify your anti-social behaviour is amusing me, so I will keep pressing until you simply concede my point:

Game theory is about many things -- but mainly it's about using how one plays a game to predict how one will behave in the real world.

Obviously, your efforts here to exert your own ego speaks to something within your own personality, most likely a deficiency, that you need to overcome through game play. As such, you make an effort to enforce your own personal interests above those of others, by using your pixelated strengths to your advantage.

In short, you're compensating for something ... :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

...justify your anti-social behaviour ...

...within your own personality, most likely a deficiency...

...In short, you're compensating for something ...

Quoted for irony

Again, instead of resorting to personal attacks, present a logical argument. That way we can reasonably and fairly assess your statement.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

i don't know what you're trying to prove. we all know that 138s stay and 110s hop - isn't that what this thread is about?

No, its 42 pages of somebody having a guilt trip and then needing other elistists to make him feel better.

Throw in some dog-eat-dog jargon or a good chapter from one of machiavelli's numerous dribbles and thats what this is.

I mean really who are you going to convince with that chart other than yourself that crashing is good for the game and your great player for doing it?

Just make sure to throw some insults when you crash so they get out sooner and never come back. :idea:

=D> :thumbup: :thumbsup: =D>

Gee -- I wish I had said that ...

nyuseg.png

Once again see my statement above.

that...?

In any case, as far as i can understand, you are arguing that just because some players have played longer and achieved better levels/equipment, they shouldn't be telling other people to leave their training/MH-ing spots. However, nothing of this kind is actually being discussed. What, however, is being detested, is what qualifies for possession of that very same spot- being there first or winning the spot(by beating out the competition). We don't think anyone really owns any training spot, thus if you want something, you have to fight for it. Yes, it might be rude on some levels, but because those people aren't doing it to be rude, we don't see it as a bad thing, and overall, it's good for the economy.

There is [sic] only two skills you can crash...mining, and hunter ...

... and yet there are numerous other spots one can crash and people often do -- just to be spiteful and ignorant.

Pest Control is a perfect example of this -- there are a number of people who, while botting, place themselves in the landing craft in a non-designated Pest Control world, so that they don't get random events, and they can set up their auto-bots and alch-away undisturbed.

Heaven forbid that they should encounter a group of people who, you know, actually want to use the boat for it's designated purpose, like -- weird I know -- actually playing the mini-game. *gasp* :ohnoes:

But no -- when they encounter such groups, they merely sabotage the game until those players leave ...

This kind of thing just keeps going around and around and around ...

nyuseg.png

And what I'm saying is that instead of fighting all the time or staying all the time and saying you have a right to fighting or staying, just rotate between activities so that everybody has a chance at it.

8f14270694.jpg

... and yet there are numerous other spots one can crash and people often do -- just to be spiteful and ignorant.

Pest Control is a perfect example of this -- there are a number of people who, while botting, place themselves in the landing craft in a non-designated Pest Control world, so that they don't get random events, and they can set up their auto-bots and alch-away undisturbed.

Heaven forbid that they should encounter a group of people who, you know, actually want to use the boat for it's designated purpose, like -- weird I know -- actually playing the mini-game. *gasp* :ohnoes:

But no -- when they encounter such groups, they merely sabotage the game until those players leave ...

That had nothing to do with the statement you quoted (and what's with the [sic] part?), I was talking about skilling skills, NOT combat skills and minigames. He was comparing crashing a boss, to crashing a tree, which doesn't work in this game. I stopped reading after your first line, because your post has no relevance to mine.

And what I'm saying is that instead of fighting all the time or staying all the time and saying you have a right to fighting or staying, just rotate between activities so that everybody has a chance at it.

Are you assuming crashers do NOTHING but bosses? No, I don't camp bandos, or DKs 24/7, everyone else has plenty of opportunity to go to that boss when I'm not there. But when I DO decide to go to that boss, why should I give up my time for someone else at bandos, when at most times...simply switching worlds is not an option.

I rotate my activities fine. If someone else happens to be doing the activity I want to at the time, and I decide to use the world they're in...guess they were just there at the wrong time.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Like I said, I think this is unnecessarily self-sacrificing. I mean, there's nothing wrong with doing it, but it's just not behavior that economics would call rational

And whether or not we label it as "entitlement" or not bears little relevance to the actual validity of the action. Putting labels on things doesn't really change the moral validity of them

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

This thread is degrading. Stop quoting people out of context and resorting to personal attacks, and present a logical argument that actually holds some water.

Mining is actually a better example than monster hunting.

Who owns the spot, a level three who happened to log in first, that has 60 mining, or a level 138, with 90 mining? Nobody owns the spot. You got to fight for it, because resources are limited, and wants/needs are unlimited. Unless JaGex releases more Instanced areas, crashing will always exist.

The Economic Problem is why Crashing still exists. Crashing for fun, however, is another story.

EDIT - Ethics don't exist on RuneScape. Don't even try and start with the pixel argument.

Like I said, I think this is unnecessarily self-sacrificing. I mean, there's nothing wrong with doing it, but it's just not behavior that economics would label as rational

And whether or not we label it as "entitlement" or not bears little relevance to the actual validity of the action. Putting labels on things doesn't really change the moral validity of them

No -- but by avoiding or otherwise ignoring such labels, you deem yourself not responsible for the actions that you take, or the consequences that result from such actions.

But hey -- you've already indicated that you're going to continue not taking responsibility for anything you do anyways, so why worry, right?

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Obviously, you have deliberately missed the point once again -- you're efforts at trying to justify your anti-social behaviour is amusing me, so I will keep pressing until you simply concede my point:

Game theory is about many things -- but mainly it's about using how one plays a game to predict how one will behave in the real world.

Obviously, your efforts here to exert your own ego speaks to something within your own personality, most likely a deficiency, that you need to overcome through game play. As such, you make an effort to enforce your own personal interests above those of others, by using your pixelated strengths to your advantage.

what, exactly, is the point? can you explicitly state what you want game theory applied to? i thought this was discussing crashing. i posted a perfect game of crashing.

and what's with the [sic] part?

grammar nazis around the world would have you know that it should have been "there are only two skills".

Oh, it's a grammar thing....what does [sic] stand for though?

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

sic is latin for thus, and you put it in brackets inside the quotation when the original source of the quote had incorrect grammar/spelling. it's to show the reader that the the author did not make the mistake, but rather the quoted source.

as in "it was spelled thus"

Your sole reason of being there is to make money. If you are to be nice and not crash, you will make less money for that other person to be able to make more money. Less is more? Don't think so, atleast in this situation.

By the way, everybody does have a chance. Crashing someone doesn't mean they are unable to do the things they want, it just means they will have to find an empty spot/someone else to crash. You are just looking at this from a kindergarten 'sharing is caring' point of view. We are not all immortal. As I said, the elitist view isn't about ruining someone elses gaming experience, rather enhancing yours. We don't crash so that other people wouldn't get a chance of doing what they want, rather because we want to be able to do what we want(and it's rude, yes, but not as bad as spending 40 minutes looking for an empty spot).

That had nothing to do with the statement you quoted (and what's with the [sic] part?),

It has EVERYTHING to do with your statement -- see below.

[sic] means you made a grammatical error: "There *IS* only two skills ..." should read, "There ARE only ..."

I was talking about skilling skills, NOT combat skills and minigames. He was comparing crashing a boss, to crashing a tree, which doesn't work in this game. I stopped reading after your first line, because your post has no relevance to mine.

.. and therefore you missed a perfectly made point.

It's a CYCLE. Someone crashes someone who crashes someone who crashes someone. Eventually, you end up with someone who decides to raise his combat to "elite" status by alching in a boat at Pest Control and, for the sake of being spiteful because he's been crashed all the way down the line, he decides to conduct a "crash" of his own.

How we play the game demonstrates to others how they should play the game. Being rude and pushing other people around only passes it down the line to the next person.

nyuseg.png

It's a CYCLE. Someone crashes someone who crashes someone who crashes someone. Eventually, you end up with someone who decides to raise his combat to "elite" status by alching in a boat at Pest Control and, for the sake of being spiteful because he's been crashed all the way down the line, he decides to conduct a "crash" of his own.

slippery.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1224996790467

While I am partially responsible for someone else's reaction to me, I am not responsible for the actions they choose to partake in because of those reactions. For example, if I annoy someone, and as a result they shoot someone else out of rageit, should I be punished for the shooting? By law, no.

Also, crashing things like PC I agree is bad - but the relevance to monster hunting is really quite small. To connect the two is, as I pointed out, a slippery slope.

sigcopyaf.png

That had nothing to do with the statement you quoted (and what's with the [sic] part?),

It has EVERYTHING to do with your statement -- see below.

[sic] means you made a grammatical error: "There *IS* only two skills ..." should read, "There ARE only ..."

I was talking about skilling skills, NOT combat skills and minigames. He was comparing crashing a boss, to crashing a tree, which doesn't work in this game. I stopped reading after your first line, because your post has no relevance to mine.

.. and therefore you missed a perfectly made point.

How we play the game demonstrates to others how they should play the game. Being rude and pushing other people around only passes it down the line to the next person.

You missed my point...my SOLE point was...you cannot compare crashing bosses to crashing a yew tree...because crashing a yew tree does not work in this game. There wasn't any abstract meaning to it...it was a simple...literal point. You cannot crash trees, therefore you cannot compare it to crashing bosses. I wasn't talking about Morals or the grand cycle of things...simply the relationship between crashing trees....and crashing bandos.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

what, exactly, is the point? can you explicitly state what you want game theory applied to? i thought this was discussing crashing. i posted a perfect game of crashing.

*sigh*

Ever heard of the "Nash equilibrium" in game theory? It applies to economics which, in-game, right now, is a subject that I know is near and dear to your own mercenary heart.

If you take into consideration the manner in which a group of people each individually make the same decision, it becomes impossible for anyone else to make any OTHER decision and survive within that economic environment.

The more cut-throat and dog-eat-dog you make the economy, it is going to become even more so.

-.-

nyuseg.png

Like I said, if you do want to crash or hold a spot for an extended period of time, if nobody can stop you you've got the spot and "won", but if the money and the self benefit is worth more to you than other people, then I can't really see how you have any right to it

And this isn't even about blind morals, it's just plain human decency

Or whatever left of it there is to be had

Granted, since you see this as a competition everybody else would be seen as competitors

But some people are just trying to get by and are there to enjoy the game for what it is

And then you just kind of elbow past them and declare yourself king

Maybe they were right, if they don't want to compete then they shouldn't play that game anymore

Maybe that's why people stopped playing this game in the first place

(aside from the others that left after the removal of PvP because there was nothing to compete for anymore)

I just find this winner/loser dynamic kind of self destructive

And the goal is to make the game unplayable for everybody

8f14270694.jpg

Like I said, if you do want to crash or hold a spot for an extended period of time, if nobody can stop you you've got the spot and "won", but if the money and the self benefit is worth more to you than other people, then I can't really see how you have any right to it

And this isn't even about blind morals, it's just plain human decency

Or whatever left of it there is to be had

Granted, since you see this as a competition everybody else would be seen as competitors

But some people are just trying to get by and are there to enjoy the game for what it is

And then you just kind of elbow past them and declare yourself king

Maybe they were right, if they don't want to compete then they shouldn't play that game anymore

Maybe that's why people stopped playing this game in the first place

(aside from the others that left after the removal of PvP because there was nothing to compete for anymore)

I just find this winner/loser dynamic kind of self destructive

And the goal is to make the game unplayable for everybody

Hear hear!

But you left out "It's JAGEX's fault!"

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png