TheAncient

An Elitist's View on Crashing

I've learned in my years of Lincoln-Douglas style debating that morality is a common value that people hold, and that morality is a value that most hold on to strongly. Morality, however; cannot be defined as x or y. It's a fluid concept, as what's wrong in one situation may be acceptable in another.

Killing is immoral.

We all know that stabbing one's cousin is frowned upon, however that does not make the conjecture that killing is immoral true.

If someone went on a killing spree, is it wrong to kill them to prevent any future victims? Was it wrong that we attempted to kill Hitler? Was it wrong that we killed Suddam Hussein? Is it wrong to try to find Osama Bin Laden with the sole purpose of executing him?

Sharing is moral.

If a starving child asks you for a bite of pizza, is it wrong to deny them? Hell yes it is. However, if a player in a game asks you to share a green dragon spawn, is it wrong to deny them? Hell no it's not.

The key difference in the above paragraph is that we are talking about a game.

A game is a structured activity' date=' usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more concerned with the expression of ideas.[/quote']

As you can see, a game is not real life. A game is neither a matter of life nor death, and therefore one cannot transfer any moral standards from a matter of life or death to a game.

Therefore, we can conclude that sharing is not necessarily the right thing to do in a game, and we can infer that killing is not the wrong thing to do either.

One could make a case that no one owns any property in a game and therefore all items and resources in said game are, in fact, public domain. However, this is not the case. One of the few principles from real life that transfer to an alternate reality is the principle that any object belongs to the being that is best able to control it. If a country wants an area of land, as has had happened countless times in history, in order to own it, they must express enough power to seize and maintain said area. If they have neither the strength nor the resources, then they would be overpowered by the opposition. The same holds true in Runescape. Whoever has the resources. namely maxed melees, overloads, chaotics, turmoil, etc., deserves to "crash" General Graardor. If said player wishes to share, then that's acceptable; however, it is comparable to Germany allowing Poland to "share" East Prussia.

One more question I would like to pose: Is it immoral to cater to your own wants before catering to someone else?

Quote Oxford Dictionaries:

noun

2. chiefly archaic a lack or deficiency of something:Victorian houses which are in want of repair it won't be through want of trying
  3. the state of being poor and in need of essentials; poverty:freedom from want
  4. a desire for something:the expression of our wants and desires

A player killing a boss wants money (or any other object that can be obtained from bosshunting, however none are needs).

If you kill a boss, it's because you want money.

In the most common case, you two would be pitted in a non-LS world, the only one with just 2 people. The two main options are to either A. Crash the other player or B. Be "nice" and leave the player to his or her self.

Seeing that I've already, for the most part, argued on behalf of option A, I'll focus on option B for now.

B indicates a complete sacrifice of one's own want, the want to earn money, for the want of another who is likely to be equally as (un)fortunate as you. And, in all honesty, to take this option would be insanity. There is no case, set anywhere or set in any time, to set a precedent for the action. No one would simply give all of their assets to another simply because they were asked.

You are not Jesus for not crashing.

You are not Jesus.

You are no benefactor of mankind for your generous actions.

You are only an eyesore to yourself and others.

You are not some morally-high Messiah for your actions in life.

You scream for a reprieve from the evils of the world, however you may just be the evil. You could be the own thorn twisting in your side.

Being nice is not always moral. Sometimes being nice can only harm yourself, and harming yourself is more immoral than preventing someone from killing a god damned pixel in a god damned game.

The above comments were directed at no one in particular.

Perhaps some of you should become better acquainted with the notion of "Game Theory". :unsure:

Just sayin' ...

That's really kinda meaningless.

Just sayin'...

Perhaps some of you should become better acquainted with the notion of "Game Theory". :unsure:

Just sayin' ...

i'll humor you

here's a payoff matrix for the following situation: player 138 and player 110 are in the bandos room in a non-lootshare world. player 138 always gets the kill if both of them are in the room together. player 138 alone kills graardor twice as fast as player 110 alone. together, player 138 kills 33% more graardors per hour. if either player leaves, it means that they go to an alternative money making method - gathering mort fungus (which is 1m/h).

payoffmatrixbandos.png

as you can see, the 138 has a dominant strategy to stay in the room and kill graardors. a rational level 110 will leave, because he knows the 138 is going to stay - in which case his best strategy is to leave and go make 1m/h instead of making no money (actually losing because of supplies, but whatever).

i don't know what you're trying to prove. we all know that 138s stay and 110s hop - isn't that what this thread is about?

What's the difference between a lower leveled player and me?

An ego, and a false sense of entitlement.

I don't know why would assume that someone hasn't worked as hard as you for their equipment or levels just because they are different or lower than yours.

That solo mage that you have no qualms about crashing has probably been working his butt off to get to the point that they're at, and by boss hunting they are clearly trying to gain better stats, equipment, or the cash to help with both. You've ranted about people who aren't working to acheive stats like yours, but by crashing them you are denying them the chance to do the very thing you say they should be doing. How can any "low-level" person be expected to train their character up if other, more arrogant players don't allow them the space to?

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

no boss is good for training on, unless you consider frost dragons a boss

go train your stats the real way (hint: not 20k xp/h at bandos) if you want to have high stats. i use 30m gear at dks not counting divine - it's not like you need to kill bosses to make 30m lol.

no boss is good for training on, unless you consider frost dragons a boss

The concept is the same, more or less.

I would assume that people boss hunt for cash, and that lower-level player can very well turn around and use that cash to buy better equipment to help him train on more suitable monsters.

Edit:

go train your stats the real way (hint: not 20k xp/h at bandos) if you want to have high stats. i use 30m gear at dks not counting divine - it's not like you need to kill bosses to make 30m lol.

I just don't see how you can apply your method of gameplay to everyone else. There are countless people out there who don't know how to make money from skilling, and therefore rely on combat methods.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

I don't know why would assume that someone hasn't worked as hard as you for their equipment or levels just because they are different or lower than yours.

That solo mage that you have no qualms about crashing has probably been working his butt off to get to the point that they're at, and by boss hunting they are clearly trying to gain better stats, equipment, or the cash to help with both. You've ranted about people who aren't working to acheive stats like yours, but by crashing them you are denying them the chance to do the very thing you say they should be doing. How can any "low-level" person be expected to train their character up if other, more arrogant players don't allow them the space to?

This point was addressed a lot earlier in the thread. There are a lot of better alternative money makers - some which even train stats - for lower levels.

Furthermore, much of the equipment and gear you need is pretty easily obtainable without large sums of cash. "Good" gear such as Bandos, Spirit Shields, and Armadyl are actually unnecessary in many situations.

A good way to train and get money is slayer - it gives you combat xp, summoning xp, and cash that you can eventually put into prayer.

Herblore can be trained for a profit using weapon poison ++, with reasonable profit and low attention needed. Alternatively you could get good at reselling cleaned herbs for high xp an hour and profit.

I just don't see how you can apply your method of gameplay to everyone else. There are countless people out there who don't know how to make money from skilling, and therefore rely on combat methods.

This is really just a reflection of lack of research rather than inability.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

This point was addressed a lot earlier in the thread. There are a lot of better alternative money makers - some which even train stats - for lower levels.

I agree with you that there are better alternative ways to making money. However, that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't or can't make money a slower, perhaps more inefficient way, does it?

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

i don't know what you're trying to prove. we all know that 138s stay and 110s hop - isn't that what this thread is about?

No, its 42 pages of somebody having a guilt trip and then needing other elistists to make him feel better.

Throw in some dog-eat-dog jargon or a good chapter from one of machiavelli's numerous dribbles and thats what this is.

I mean really who are you going to convince with that chart other than yourself that crashing is good for the game and your great player for doing it?

Just make sure to throw some insults when you crash so they get out sooner and never come back. :idea:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Because you DIDN'T. Your low stats PROVE you didn't train as much as me. If you want it, GET MY STATS. Then you can compete. Until then, you are crash bait. I don't recognize your right to "First come first serve" at a boss, and as such, I can, and will crash, if needed.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

No, its 42 pages of somebody having a guilt trip and then needing other elistists to make him feel better.

Just make sure to throw some insults when you crash so they get out sooner and never come back. :idea:

:rolleyes: Oh, gov.

I agree with you that there are better alternative ways to making money. However, that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't or can't make money a slower, perhaps more inefficient way, does it?

Why not? There's no reason I should sacrifice my own preferences just so that some random stranger - regardless of level - can have the convenience of choosing between bad and worse options.

Obviously this would differ for people I know in real life.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Why not? There's no reason I should sacrifice my own preferences just so that some random person - regardless of level - can have the convenience of choosing between bad and worse options.

Obviously this would differ for people I know in real life.

Agreed. RS friends are exceptions. But I wouldn't give up thing IRL for people I have never meet before.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Because you DIDN'T. Your low stats PROVE you didn't train as much as me. If you want it, GET MY STATS. Then you can compete. Until then, you are crash bait. I don't recognize your right to "First come first serve" at a boss, and as such, I can, and will crash, if needed.

Well, I guess I'm just being technical.

There's a difference between someone working as hard as you and someone working as long a period of time as you.

Player 1 worked on his high stats for a year; Player 2 has worked on his lower stats for two months. It is entirely possible that they have both worked as hard as the other, Player 1 has just simply been at it for a longer period of time.

- - -

My views I guess are a bit limited on this subject.

I have always considered myself to be a skiller, so I've never encountered someone crashing me when I get the urge to do combat. It's just the elitist opinion that irks me, I guess. It's foreign to me, and it seems like the incorrect mindset to have.

If The Ancient stumbled upon some trees I was in the process of cutting, I would never dream of telling him to world hop and find another, simply based off the fact that I have nearly 15,000,000 more Woodcutting experience than he does.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but that's just how it's translating in my head. I just think everyone should have an equal shot.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

If The Ancient stumbled upon some trees I was in the process of cutting, I would never dream of telling him to world hop and find another, simply based off the fact that I have nearly 15,000,000 more Woodcutting experience than he does.

I would agree in that scenario. Trees are easy to find so there's little to no economic incentive to crashing someone - only a psychological one of bullying. Also, a level 99 WC and a level 90 WCer basically have access to the same capital, so there's very little that makes one more qualified than another.

This is why monster hunting is an exception. Gear and levels actually make it more efficient for one person to use a spot rather than another. Also, monster hunting locations are typically much more crowded.

I'm not saying you should be mean in all situations. I am, however, saying that there's no need to be self-sacrificing.

sigcopyaf.png

Well, I guess I'm just being technical.

There's a difference between someone working as hard as you and someone working as long a period of time as you.

Player 1 worked on his high stats for a year; Player 2 has worked on his lower stats for two months. It is entirely possible that they have both worked as hard as the other, Player 1 has just simply been at it for a longer period of time.

- - -

My views I guess are a bit limited on this subject.

I have always considered myself to be a skiller, so I've never encountered someone crashing me when I get the urge to do combat. It's just the elitist opinion that irks me, I guess. It's foreign to me, and it seems like the incorrect mindset to have.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but that's just how it's translating in my head. I just think everyone should have an equal shot.

There is only two skills you can crash...mining, and hunter. You can rule out mining once someone hits 77 mining, leaving only 1 skill possible to crash.

You cannot compare crashing skillers to crashing bosses, it is far from the same thing.

Everyone does have an equal shot. The level 110 got in the boss room didn't he? By saying the level 130+ shouldn't crash him because he wasn't there first is telling that 130 he doesn't have an equal shot just because he was doing something else 30 minutes ago. Every person has an equal shot at every boss/resource in this game. Every person MUST level their skills higher if they want to stand a better chance of maintaining that resource. Just because someone leveled up before you, doesn't make them an elitist [bleep].

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Guest jrhairychest

Throw in some dog-eat-dog jargon or a good chapter from one of machiavelli's numerous dribbles and thats what this is.

I mean really who are you going to convince with that chart other than yourself that crashing is good for the game and your great player for doing it?

Say it like it is Golv :thumbup:. Question - What's there to be 'elite' about, playing RS?

Perhaps its because you've got manners, you don't live inside your own personal bubble of 'me me me', you are actually aware of what goes on around you and you've done puberty so you've nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else.

Say it like it is Golv :thumbup:. Question - What's there to be 'elite' about, playing RS?

Perhaps its because you've got manners, you don't live inside your own personal bubble of 'me me me', you are actually aware of what goes on around you and you've done puberty so you've nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I just wanna make more money. So if crashing someone means I'll make more money, Yay for me.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

There is only two skills you can crash...mining, and hunter. You can rule out mining once someone hits 77 mining, leaving only 1 skill possible to crash.

You cannot compare crashing skillers to crashing bosses, it is far from the same thing.

Everyone does have an equal shot. The level 110 got in the boss room didn't he? By saying the level 130+ shouldn't crash him because he wasn't there first is telling that 130 he doesn't have an equal shot just because he was doing something else 30 minutes ago. Every person has an equal shot at every boss/resource in this game. Every person MUST level their skills higher if they want to stand a better chance of maintaining that resource. Just because someone leveled up before you, doesn't make them an elitist [bleep].

That's sort of a flawed argument, seeing as the 110 can't crash the 130 as easily. Next you'd probably see the "they should have been there earlier" argument and the "he should have leveled up" part. Yep. Not hypocritical in the least!

How far back does equality work?

By your logic, everybody who started playing the game at a later date than the ones before them all willingly gave up their equal rights to everything just because they started playing the game later.

And yet everybody has about the same average output overall. The higher leveled people have only been playing longer, but not harder. To say that they deserve everything entirely based on circumstance would be kind of ridiculous when it is very easy for them to change the terms of engagement for everybody below them. When they were leveling up and playing back then, they didn't have to deal with the same amount of of jerks who think they were entitled to everything, so really, if anything it was EASIER for them to gain money and levels without people constantly determining if they were worthy of playing.

Next you'll be telling us that all the people who were born later should deal with it and GTFO because they wasted their equal chance when they spent all that time growing up instead of playing RS.

But of course, this is the "official" stance of Jagex, so I guess you're right anyway

8f14270694.jpg

Exactly. He's actually being more rude by far then I am when I crash, or most people who've crashed me.

Stonewall337.png

Next you'll be telling us that all the people who were born later should deal with it and GTFO because they wasted their equal chance when they spent all that time growing up instead of playing RS.

hate to break it to you, but in many countries (likely including your own), there are age requirements to vote (if applicable), drink, smoke, have sex, drive a car, run for office, etc.

Yes, but when they're growing up, the people who were there earlier aren't telling them that they can't vote, drink, drive a car, have sex, or run for office because they were there first and should GTFO and then actively slow or prevent these people from aging.

8f14270694.jpg

I mean... are you going to argue it's unfair that phats were 30K back in the day?

sigcopyaf.png

Not really. They're stupid pieces of paper that people think are valuable just because there's no way to make any more of them and they think having it makes them better than other people. That's perfectly fine for them.

On the other hand, this is a piece of game content that has no other requirements than being able to get there in the first place, and being able to survive it in order to gain its actual benefits. The competition is imposed by others at will.

What I have an issue with is people thinking that they're worth more than other people JUST BECAUSE they were there first, and thinking that means that they are RIGHT in being able to stop others from participating instead of just acknowledging the fact that it's unfair and stop trying to justify their actions.

I mean hell just because you're not exactly doing the actual right thing here and realizing that crashing goes against your philosophy that being there first gives you the rights doesn't mean that you should stop crashing!

Just don't say that you've actually earned anything when circumstance gave it to you.

EDIT: This goes for both people who don't like being crashed, and people who crash because they consider themselves to be the better person. Neither of you earned anything, and neither of you are justified in your actions.

The better person is the one who can learn to share reasonably and responsibly and not be a total [bleep] about it.

8f14270694.jpg

Not really. They're stupid pieces of paper that people think are valuable just because there's no way to make any more of them and they think having it makes them better than other people. That's perfectly fine for them.

You can't just disregard the luxury goods market, but that's off topic.

What I have an issue with is people thinking that they're worth more than other people JUST BECAUSE they were there first, and thinking that means that they are RIGHT in being able to stop others from participating instead of just acknowledging the fact that it's unfair and stop trying to justify their actions.

Just don't say that you've actually earned anything when circumstance gave it to you.

I'm really confused :mellow:. That argument could go both ways haha...

to your EDIT: what about people that don't share and aren't rude about it? what's wrong with not sharing? regardless of if we think it's "entitlement" or not, the thoughts matter less than the actions themselves

sigcopyaf.png