TheAncient

An Elitist's View on Crashing

So if we can't have instances, then at least we could increase the amount of the same type of bosses on each server, but just make them slightly different in appearance to each other so that we don't end dealing with really strange character cloning problems.

You meen like a Graardor and a Graardorina? In the same room like barrows, or different rooms?

pere_grin.png

I mean that realistically, there would have been more than one front in the God Wars and it would not be entirely unreasonable to accidentally "discover" another similar location nearby.

As for story continuity we have shoved larger things under the rug before

I'm just wondering how we have so many paying players yet can't support their demand for boss punching

8f14270694.jpg

It comes back to my original suggestion: make new bosses. I mean, everyone likes new stuff, right? It would alleviate the situation, give us new toys to play with, and give us new ways to have fun playing Runescape. It just seems like a win/win situation to me.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I'm just afraid of introducing more actual new toys into the environment in that quantity

Because then everybody would move onto that and fight for that instead

And then gwd would be empty as a casket in Morytania

(also, realistically they wouldn't be able to playtest and design that many new toys/entirely different bosses at rate that would meet demand)

8f14270694.jpg

I'm just afraid of introducing more actual new toys into the environment in that quantity

Exactly. That's the whole point of introducing new bosses -- to clear out the old ones.

(also, realistically they wouldn't be able to playtest and design that many new toys/entirely different bosses at rate that would meet demand)

Best case scenario: They've been working on new bosses for a while now. If not, they should start soon. I'd rather them be working on it than not working on it.

dgs5.jpg

Dks aren't phased out since the release of gwd. Gwd didn't go away after corp. Corp didn't go away after tds.

But then we still have the same problem, since nobody will actually be at the older areas now that the newer areas are generating significantly more demand, and by that, more money.

8f14270694.jpg

But then we still have the same problem, since nobody will actually be at the older areas now that the newer areas are generating significantly more demand, and by that, more money.

Read what Squareroot just said: introducing new stuff wouldn't necessarily decrease demand for the old stuff. It just spreads the players around.

dgs5.jpg

I meant that the new toys might accidentally (or intentionally) render the old toys obsolete.

8f14270694.jpg

Exactly. That's the whole point of introducing new bosses -- to clear out the old ones.

That's not solving anything either. Why would you push the agenda of new content as a solution to the problem when it clearly isn't? If your logic was completely true, then DKs would be deserted. But really, they're more popular than ever over time because of new mechanics that have made their drops extremely valuable. So what's to stop them from coming out with, say, a zarosian boss but a half a year later beefing up the armadyl armor set from Kreearra?

The truth of it all is there is no easy solution. The problem hinges on the fact that boss hunting is used to make money. If you can't fix that, there's no fixing the problem. And with how dependent the economy is on fast-moneymaking via killing high level/boss monsters, is there really any proper alternative for a game like RuneScape?

IF there was, they probably would've implemented it already. So really, aren't we just arguing in circles here?

hzvjpwS.gif

I meant that the new toys might accidentally (or intentionally) render the old toys obsolete.

Armors like Bandos and Armadyl can never be obsolete. Barrows has been around for YEARS and it's still going strong (barrows isn't a bad way for high levels to make money, incidentally). If less people are camping Graar and Kree, prices will balance out.

dgs5.jpg

Armors like Bandos and Armadyl can never be obsolete. Barrows has been around for YEARS and it's still going strong (barrows isn't a bad way for high levels to make money, incidentally). If less people are camping Graar and Kree, prices will balance out.

Correction: they will never be obsolete so long as GWD becomes the only method of obtaining that armor, just like barrows. However, if you look back to the drops from early boss monsters such as the KBD and the KQ, I think we can safely say that they are obsolete for the average player.

hzvjpwS.gif

Correction: they will never be obsolete so long as GWD becomes the only method of obtaining that armor, just like barrows. However, if you look back to the drops from early boss monsters such as the KBD and the KQ, I think we can safely say that they are obsolete for the average player.

And why would it ever change?

dgs5.jpg

As far as bosses go - thats just a douche move. most (DK, GWD, divine shield guy) all of those require a substantial amount of money to gear up to fight and at that point, it becomes dishonorable to waste someone's time and money. Fighting for resources/spawns is fair game as those do not require brew/restores or an actual costly setup.

Aren't they then wasting your time and money by being in a spot you could easily occupy with inferior gear/stats/summons? What if you've looked for ages and couldn't find a world? If there are a fixed amount of bosses, and all of them are packed (which is often the case at Bandos), you have no choice. You said it yourself--it's a huge investment of time and money. If you choose to handicap yourself...great, fine. Would it be better if we didn't crash? Absolutely. Is it unfortunate? Yes. Do we have any other option? No. And who do we have to thank for that? Jagex.

So at the end of the day, if you get crashed, who should you really be mad at...?

I agree, I guess I just can't bring myself morally to be that big of a douchebag to crash on a boss.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

If you really want to be ridiculous, we could just stick a time portal back to the original God Wars and have that area available in two separate time periods, but the amount of paradoxes that would generate might make that plan unfeasible.

8f14270694.jpg

And why would it ever change?

For the same reason they decided to have npcs start dropping dragon armor. Who knows what they will do in the future. I don't, do you? Do we have any reason to say for certain that they wouldn't attempt to make this armor easier to obtain? Any reason to say that they wouldn't come up with another armor set, with similar requirements, that doesn't require millions or hours of mind-numbing, luck-hoping boss hunting in order to obtain? We don't, therefore you can't present your argument as fact. We know that armor offered by bosses can become obsolete over time and just because GWD armor might not be within the next year does not mean that it won't be 5 years from now.

This is not a short term problem we're looking to solve here, but a long term one hell of an entangled issue. And again, if there was a satisfactory compromise/fix/whatever, it would've been done already.

hzvjpwS.gif

Sorry I haven't been able to reply properly; I was eating.

You're right that new bosses could potentially make old bosses obsolete, but you have to consider a few things:

- Dragon claws are unlikely to be topped by any melee spec weapon any time soon, even with new bosses. On top of that, they have a very high effigy rate. Safe.

- DKs drop the second best rings in the game. These rings are needed to make the best rings in the game. Furthermore, we probably won't be seeing a new boss drop something better for WCing than a dragon axe. Safe.

- I HIGHLY doubt that we'll get a boss within the next few years that drops shields that top the divine. Safe.

That leaves GWD bosses. Zil and Kril have been "obsolete" for a while now (though I would argue that Zil is still somewhat relevant, even though her drops are pretty much useless these days). Kree and Graar drop the best ranged and melee armors you can get. Furthermore, Graar drops Bandos hilts, which are still in demand for corp teams. I would imagine that new bosses would drop gear that makes Arma and Bandos armors second class, but second class is still very much in demand by mid-level players, poor players, and safety-conscious players.

I just don't see new bosses drastically affecting the relevance of old bosses all that much. I stand by my claim that new bosses would drastically cut down on crashing in the long run. Though I argued that many old bosses would remain relevant, I don't think that progress is bad. If ALL the afore mentioned bosses were rendered obsolete in favor of ~10 new ones, I would consider that a good thing for Runescape as a whole.

EDIT: To elaborate on my last paragraph:

If old bosses were rendered obsolete; if their items plummeted in price because of new, better items, armors like full Bandos and Armadyl (65 and 70 defense armors, respectively) would become more widely available to players. I would actually prefer to see players with ~70 defense and ranged using armor like Armadyl. Of course, this doesn't work for all items (I'm looking at you, spirit shields), but I personally think that 138s should be using level 90+ armors; in other words, armors befitting of their levels. /two cents.

dgs5.jpg

Flawed, yet quick fix solution I've randomly thought up; Boss Resource Dungeons. Just requires a new boss.

Flawed, yet quick fix solution I've randomly thought up; Boss Resource Dungeons. Just requires a new boss.

In other words, instanced bosses - which, sorry to say, has been mentioned earlier multiple times

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

So if we can't have instances, then at least we could increase the amount of the same type of bosses on each server, but just make them slightly different in appearance to each other so that we don't end dealing with really strange character cloning problems.

Here's a notion:

How about a quota system? You get a hard limit of {x} kills a week of NPCs in question and then you have to get off the ride and go do something else. Should be a lot simpler to implement than instancing.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

One other point to bring up I think is that bosses are too easy now. You can stay at most bosses for at least two hours. If Jagex introduces a boss in which you can't stay as long, maybe there won't be as much competition.

A way to implement this is to have a boss which requires you to mage. If you have to rely on magic, you can't use brews; if you can't use brews, you don't last long.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

In other words, instanced bosses - which, sorry to say, has been mentioned earlier multiple times

Doesn't have to be instanced to be a Resource Dungeon. Frost Dragons are shared...

Doesn't have to be instanced to be a Resource Dungeon. Frost Dragons are shared...

My bad. In any case, this is, like you said, a short-lived fix; in the long-run, most people will get or try to get the necessary DG level to fight the boss.

sigcopyaf.png