Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.it Times - 12th December 2010

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :) We're also running short in Did You Knows, so if you know of any then please PM them to me! :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

The Runar
[ Display Name History ]

The Runar

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,343 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:The Runar
  • RSN '07:Old Runar
Interesting articles. The second one especially - it doesn't just apply to Runescape, but to real life as well. Certainly something to think about :)

Nifflin
[ Display Name History ]

Nifflin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • RSN:Nifflin
  • RSN2:Runnersdie
Often the reason people criticize the articles on here are not due to mistakes in language, but perceived mistakes in thinking. Mistakes in language are understandable, but published mistakes in thinking can be offensive.

"The Efficiency Wars" posted in October is pretty much the perfect example of this. People didn't rage at this article for the language usage but for the ideas.

Mistakes being presented rudely isn't right, but most of the flaming comes from ideas not language. As a writer you should understand that language mistakes being pointed out is a very positive thing as it is the best way for you to improve your writing, even if they are rude.

PM me in game anytime

Roz
[ Display Name History ]

Roz

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

More often than not, people forget that, as human beings, we need some margin of error.

Inb4effciencytrolls.

Diomedus
[ Display Name History ]

Diomedus

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • RSN:Diomedus
First article,

I am going to disagree with the author. Why is having puzzles, a few fights, and a big boss battle a "boring template?" What else is there? There are only so many things you can do in runescape when it comes to mechanics. Fight, talk, use skills, solve puzzles, ...others? The way those are presented are the way quests have variety. Jagex has done a great job making these quests. So what if there's puzzles fights and a boss?

Second article, I like it, I see it all the time, bystanaders complaining. For example, my school is doing a talent show sometime in the near future. I heard a few kids talking about how one of the bands that is going to play "sucks" or something. To me, you need to put up or shut up. I didn't see any of those mockers signing up to do their own "awesome" performance.

Third article, I like it, but I'm lost, too many charecters and names, I don't know what's going on. I suppose I could just read the whole story through at once though. Keep up the good work!

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@

More often than not, people forget that, as human beings, we need some margin of error.

Inb4effciencytrolls.

ERROR? UNACCEPTABLE :P

Truthfully, people should realize that from all efficiency calculations, you should subtract about 2-5% (if you are focused, depending on the activity) or even more (if you tend to daze off). This accounts (roughly) for any human error of xp rates. This is assuming that the base xp rate you're looking at doesn't already include human error.

I really liked the quests article. Thankfully though, Jagex provides us enough smoke and mirrors during quests via storylines, different styles of puzzles, and rewards (not to mention scenary) that I usually don't even notice the framework. Although if you really think about it, doesn't everything have some sort of framework? If Jagex has found one that consistently produces fun, enjoyable quests, why not? Yes, they should change it up a bit, and I agree more than they have been, but oftentimes it's nice to have a frame to use.

SirHartlar
[ Display Name History ]

SirHartlar

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
Do No Evil has to be my favourite of the most recent quests Jagex has released. For some reason it felt more like a classic Jagex quest than some of the more puzzle orientated ones Wingless mentioned, and it might just be me being nostalgic but I prefer the former.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

Third article, I like it, but I'm lost, too many charecters and names, I don't know what's going on. I suppose I could just read the whole story through at once though. Keep up the good work!

Admittedly, for some of the characters I did not leave much room for some actual character building... But yeah; if you just dropped into the story its confusing as hell, especially considering we left Anders and Pieter in Keldagrim at the start of the 2nd chapter...

If you want, I could give a brief overview of all the charachters (even though over half of them are taken right out of the game without any alteration), just to make it easier...

I do intend to make up for most of this in the last part of the story; the epilogue :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Hawks
[ Display Name History ]

Hawks

The Goalie

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,963 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Hawk0078
I was a little bit confused by the bacteria references in the second article, :P although I get Forsaken's point now.

Loving the Fremennik fictional!

EU Slayer
[ Display Name History ]

EU Slayer

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • RSN:EU Slayer
  • Clan:Leader of EU.

Loving the Fremennik fictional!

This ^. over 9,000 times This ^

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

MstrMonopoly
[ Display Name History ]

MstrMonopoly

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • RSN:MstrMonopoly
Disagree with the first article. Cool puzzles/fights are what make quests fun, I just wish they were a little harder (the fights that is). If you don't use guides, most quests are still very challenging regardless (EWIII and MEP II both took me nearly an entire Sunday).

I piety the fool.

Wouter828
[ Display Name History ]

Wouter828

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • RSN:Woltimus
  • RSN2:Wouter828
  • Clan:Clanless
On the Déjà Vu article, I agree that quests are becoming repetitive, but is that not a consequence of having an increasing amount of quests? I mean, there are only so many possibilities you can put into a quest without displeasing half of the RuneScape questers community. Make it as easy as 'Collect X' and you'll be flamed because it's too easy. Put in more hard puzzles players dislike the quest because of the hard puzzles. Put in fights leading to hard boss monsters, you get flamed for being too combat based or too simple in structure. And now this article is there, voicing the questing community's displeasure at quests who mix all of these aspects into quests with different dimensions of difficulty. That does not leave them with many options left now does it?

I think the way they build up their quests is the only way possible, really. Easy/Easier quests ecompass just one of three difficulty dimensions, harder quests encompass two or three dimensions with varying difficulty, and the master quests are built up out of all three dimensions as well as containing at least the highest level of one of three dimensions of difficulty. I do not see another way to build up quest difficulty.

Diomedus
[ Display Name History ]

Diomedus

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • RSN:Diomedus

On the Déjà Vu article, I agree that quests are becoming repetitive, but is that not a consequence of having an increasing amount of quests? I mean, there are only so many possibilities you can put into a quest without displeasing half of the RuneScape questers community. Make it as easy as 'Collect X' and you'll be flamed because it's too easy. Put in more hard puzzles players dislike the quest because of the hard puzzles. Put in fights leading to hard boss monsters, you get flamed for being too combat based or too simple in structure. And now this article is there, voicing the questing community's displeasure at quests who mix all of these aspects into quests with different dimensions of difficulty. That does not leave them with many options left now does it?

I think the way they build up their quests is the only way possible, really. Easy/Easier quests ecompass just one of three difficulty dimensions, harder quests encompass two or three dimensions with varying difficulty, and the master quests are built up out of all three dimensions as well as containing at least the highest level of one of three dimensions of difficulty. I do not see another way to build up quest difficulty.

This is what I was trying to say earlier, but he articulated it much better.

While Guthix Sleeps was probably my favorite quest so far
although, honestly, I didn't remember the fights being THAT big of a deal (like Nomad, that jerk...)

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

civie
[ Display Name History ]

civie

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • RSN:Count Civie
  • Clan:Zeitphasm
I partially agree with the first article (those articles are written from 'a certain point of view').

It is indeed boring to have a same template to be repeated over and over again, but the truth is, if we get a quest that differentiates from the regular form of puzzle, fight and boss, for example One Small Favour, we moan that it is too tedious.

What would be fun is the possibility that was implemented in the Void Knight series: the ability to choose your actions, for example, fight an enemy or puzzle your way through, or performing a favour for someone who will then help you with a specific part of the quest.

What bothers me too is that quests labeled Master or Grandmaster are often shorter than a (Grand-)Master should be, and that people rant about it. What they don't think about is that you also have to complete previous quests. A good example is quests linked to the Elves: Catapult Construction was a Master (if I remember correctly) but only because of Regicide. If Regicide was removed from the equation it would have become a Novice most likely.

Reply on Diomedus:

I agree, a quest like While Guthix Sleeps is one of the top 5 quests ever made. A combination of combat, puzzles, fetching and skilling, with various degrees of difficulty.

Level 99's

Goals

Drops:
Miscellanious: 1x Draconic Visage , 5x Focus Sight, 3x Abbysal Whip

Offering Effigy Assistance in Herblore, Crafting. Contact me ingame by pm.

Posted Image

Articultural
[ Display Name History ]

Articultural

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Has Wingless even completed Do No Evil? There aren't a series of small fights followed by a boss fight, there are a series of puzzles and then 3 boss fights all grouped together at the end. I have no idea where Wingless is getting his/her information from, but it's incorrect. <_<

Posted Image

Ghost_Phriek
[ Display Name History ]

Ghost_Phriek

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • RSN:Roses Fire
  • Clan:The Druids of Gielinor
Déjà vu:
I get that when things fall into a relatively constant pattern, it becomes very annoying. But Quests are puzzles and combat. Most Quests will be structured around puzzles and combat, puzzles and combat... One Small Favour and Elemental Workshop 3 were definite breaks from the norm, but could you imagine every Quest, or even most Quests being as long and annoying as One Small Favour? I don't know about you, but four and a half hours and several Ibuprofen is not my perfect idea of a Quest. I love Questing, and I hope to get the Questing Cape before any 99 Cape, so when JaGeX breaks up the pattern, I'm happy to hear about it, but Questing is always going to be puzzles and combat, rarely anything different.

aspeeder
[ Display Name History ]

aspeeder

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
On the first article: I understand that it's a standard framework and it can get quite predictable, but that's because it just basically follows the rules of Dramatic Structure. I mean, put the boss fight at the beginning, the puzzles in the middle, and all the talking at the end and usually the payout seems quite minimal (As our character expressed in One Small Favor, which never seemed to pay off). I really don't mind the structure; I quest for the characters and the story and since they're focusing on those more with recent quests I have nothing to complain about.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods
Regarding the first article, I have to ask: Does it really matter that they have similar structure? There aren't many alternative structures that are engaging, and those that are only work because of novelty. One Small Favour was a clever quest, but you wouldn't want another one that does the same thing.

Do No Evil, even if it was essentially talking, puzzles, the mother of all fetches, puzzles, boss, boss, boss, was a fine quest. It's down to the characters, the myths and legends, the scenery, and all of the other wonderful things that RS quests provide.

~ W ~

Posted Image

Big_Stingman
[ Display Name History ]

Big_Stingman

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,713 posts
  • RSN:Big Stingman
I enjoyed all the readings, although I do disagree with the first one. As in, I really like Runescape's quests, they are a heck of a lot better then most of the other quests I have done in stuff like Guild Wars and the like.

Low C
[ Display Name History ]

Low C

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,242 posts
  • RSN:Lowc15
  • Clan:Primacy
I really don't see why writers don't welcome criticism. I know that in my college level writing class I ask for multiple people to give me feedback and write up my paper. People either say it sucks or it needs to be improved on, no hurt feelings considering they make my writing better and give me a direction to go in.

Why take offence to criticism if there are obviously mistakes? Writing a complete article about the matter really doesn't make sense to me, telling the community to write an article themselves then latter saying they are riddled with just as many mistakes sounds very hypocritical. The retort to this will be that people attacked the writers, maybe a select few, but I also saw a lot of good feedback that was ignored.

Low_C.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users