Nex Strategy Discussion

TheAncient

well, why would he put a ;) at the end of his post if it was meant to be taken literally?

Winkies are a Jagex staple. All Jagex exployees go through a training that includes teaching them to use winkies constantly for all situations. They're the perfect combination of smug condescension and not taking things seriously.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't be bothered to find the original thread about the update itself, but I felt this to be somewhat relevant

Only thing that hit on him was Korasi, lol

Lol pretty unfair, the guy with divine was also using the equivalent of a bronze dagger compared to that rapier.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

How well would a steel titan hit on Nex?

It's not so much how well, but how often... The way Nex moves a lot Steel Titan wouldn't be viable for nearly all her phases. By the time the steel titan has a chance to attack Nex she's across the map. A BoB / Uni would be so much more beneficial over a BoB / Titan.

It's not so much how well, but how often... The way Nex moves a lot Steel Titan wouldn't be viable for nearly all her phases. By the time the steel titan has a chance to attack Nex she's across the map. A BoB / Uni would be so much more beneficial over a BoB / Titan.

A steel titan spec has longer range then any style of combat a player can use.

If you're able to hit nex, your titan will be able to as well, at least with it's spec.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

If you're able to hit nex, your titan will be able to as well, at least with it's spec.

But the biggest challenge with familiar combat is getting the damn thing attacking in the first place, and every time Nex teleports everyone loses aggro. You'd have to run back into range, call the titan, click familiar attack on Nex, and then click the spec. By the time you finish all that, she'll have almost certainly have teleported again.

Also, steel titan specs are very inaccurate, only really good on low defense monsters like TDs. I can't see it hitting over 0 very often at all on Nex. The extra healing from uni is waaaay better.

But the biggest challenge with familiar combat is getting the damn thing attacking in the first place, and every time Nex teleports everyone loses aggro. You'd have to run back into range, call the titan, click familiar attack on Nex, and then click the spec. By the time you finish all that, she'll have almost certainly have teleported again.

Also, steel titan specs are very inaccurate, only really good on low defense monsters like TDs. I can't see it hitting over 0 very often at all on Nex. The extra healing from uni is waaaay better.

I'm not going to argue if the titan is better or not, because honestly, I agree with you, a unicorn would provide much great benefit.

As for getting the titan to attack...

You should already have the spec ready, this can be done at anytime if you are in a line of sight with your titan.

Set your Summoning icon to attack. click it, then click on nex.

Assuming you've got the spec set, the titan will hit nex if it's within sight. Loosing agro doesn't mean your titan can't attack, because you were in combat "recently", which is the only criteria for a familiar to fight. So the only issue is if the titan will hit, and if the extra damage would benefit you more then a unicorn (which I doutb)

My original point wasn't to say the titan was better, just to explain how Nex moving around would not change it's function.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

i personaly use steel at nex, its not hard

1. massive attack range, can hit about anywhere

2. a good team dds/stays packed so she wont run all over like some idiot running for his life masser she chases

3. she has multi attacks, so if multi attack hits you all u need to do is hit "call" on your titan, then it will turn and attack her

accuracy is 10-20% prob

id say an average titan + scroll hit on nex is 50-100, it certainly adds up if several people use it

it doesnt help you yourself as much, but it contributes more to the team, so if your the only titan and ur team has unis u may not last as long, but if the whole team has titans and it starts to add up and make the kill a % faster, then it will save you as much dmg as a unicorn, and speed up killtime slightly which means everything

also im more used to titan, ive tried uni and i forget about it and end up using 4 scrolls in a whole kill

also..... i keep my hp above max anyways with brews, i rarely hang out at 600 lp where i can actualy use unicorn, im usualy at full hp where uni is useless to heal you

furthermore.... steel realy rips apart the mages...as in most cases with steel titan, it shines more on the minions than the boss itsself

dont count titan out, if it was more widely used its a sucess (obv bring full yak, then titan after it runs out)

a_final_name.png

What happens if you keep on attacking Nex, ignoring her mages? She gets invulnerable or something?

Some stages are easier than others, so I figured you might as well stick in them till she's dead. Any input on that thought?

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

What happens if you keep on attacking Nex, ignoring her mages? She gets invulnerable or something?

Some stages are easier than others, so I figured you might as well stick in them till she's dead. Any input on that thought?

You can't damage her past a certain point until the corresponding mage is defeated.

Anyone have access to high level forums on RSOF? A friend tells me a Jmod has confirmed sighted longbows with God arrows as a weakness, but I can't attest to this because I can't access those forums anymore.

I doubt that she has a specific weakness to them, but I can definitely see a sighted mlb hitting well on her just because it's so accurate. The problem, though, is that you lose out on wearing a divine, which means you get hit a lot harder.

Anyone have access to high level forums on RSOF? A friend tells me a Jmod has confirmed sighted longbows with God arrows as a weakness, but I can't attest to this because I can't access those forums anymore.

Not a jmod but another player said that.

There is a thread about nex's weakness where a bunch of players plead for some tips.

But there wasn't a serious reply by any jagex staff.

They don't really give special treatment to people on that forum.

Although, there is more interaction with jagex staff on that forum.

There was a nice post from Paul where he defended the whole wildy vote thing, but I can't find it now.

You can look into zanik's crossbow if your trying new things, somebody claimed it works like a charm.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

sanfew serum heals cough? true or false

False.

People only bring them so that they can fit the equivalent of a super restore and antipoison in one inventory slot. There is nothing to "cure" the cough faster. There is however the tactic that every DDs under Nex before she becomes attackable, then one person stands off to the east side. Nex places the cough on the person farthest away, so if the infected person then stays away from the rest of the team you can avoid it altogether.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltGHgHWNGo

Not very full yet, but it might have a long-term appeal. Nex requires too high of an investment to go there without high LSP otherwise. I've had a couple million LSP over the past week and have never even sniped bones or charms in LS Nex teams.

2496 Completionist

uhm won't this ultimatelly fail? - I mean as in ffa it's you vs everybody, for example coughing I won't move away from the crowd if I get diseased?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

uhm won't this ultimatelly fail? - I mean as in ffa it's you vs everybody, for example coughing I won't move away from the crowd if I get diseased?

The general strategy for coughing is just to spec the first form out, and you will want to get rid of your cough, so it's prudent for everyone to stand back a ways after smoke gets specced out to let the small amount of disease she has time to inflict dissipate.

I don't really see any other problems with it.

If it's FFA, people won't listen to rules set by others. There's nothing you can do if they don't do what you say, so they won't. Large FFAs don't work if teams actively have to work together, rather than just trying to achieve their own aims. An example of this is at corp, no one would stun the core at FFAs, simply because they don't want to waste potential damage, the same thing will happen with many of Nex's effects.

The problem is that Nex was designed as a boss for a team that works together, not a group of people all trying to compete on how much damage they're doing, so unwilling to sacrifice potential damage to help make the boss easier for themselves and others.

10xy5fk.png

So is there a good 6-10 man nex guide out yet?

I seem to get from the thread that void+acp+ccbow+ruby bolts and void+maul/claws is the best setup for nex for people without divine. Is this true?

If it's FFA, people won't listen to rules set by others. There's nothing you can do if they don't do what you say, so they won't. Large FFAs don't work if teams actively have to work together, rather than just trying to achieve their own aims. An example of this is at corp, no one would stun the core at FFAs, simply because they don't want to waste potential damage, the same thing will happen with many of Nex's effects.

The problem is that Nex was designed as a boss for a team that works together, not a group of people all trying to compete on how much damage they're doing, so unwilling to sacrifice potential damage to help make the boss easier for themselves and others.

...You do know that corp FFA is quite popular, right? The core doesn't get stunned, but it's not hard to run away from it.

You haven't provided any examples of things Nex does that will make FFA untenable. Everyone wants to damage the boss because that's how you get kills, everyone wants to kill the mages for faster kills (= more chances at drops) and you can't damage Nex until the mage dies anyway, everyone wants to spread out after smoke because the disease going away benefits everyone... The only thing I can really think of is not breaking people out of the ice prison attack, but people usually don't manage that in LS teams either.

It's not like there are any good ways to screw your team over to gain an advantage at Nex.

...You do know that corp FFA is quite popular, right? The core doesn't get stunned, but it's not hard to run away from it.

You haven't provided any examples of things Nex does that will make FFA untenable. Everyone wants to damage the boss because that's how you get kills, everyone wants to kill the mages for faster kills (= more chances at drops) and you can't damage Nex until the mage dies anyway, everyone wants to spread out after smoke because the disease going away benefits everyone... The only thing I can really think of is not breaking people out of the ice prison attack, but people usually don't manage that in LS teams either.

It's not like there are any good ways to screw your team over to gain an advantage at Nex.

No matter what, on a pure kills/person/hour ratio, FFA will always be worse than LS with the same team size simply because it is a competitive effort and not a collaborative effort. The only reason people do FFA is because they have something to give them an advantage over others, such as chaotic/ovl/turmoil, but since everyone has all of that at nex anyway I really see no point.

FFA corp is worse than LS because people bring void/bandos instead of the optimal karils armour and because people don't SWH/BGS.

Nex would be the same way. People will pack their inventories with spec restores trying to spam claw specs instead of packing the optimal inventory to stay longer.

So your argument is just that FFA in general is untenable?

Nice, so I can just say flat out that you're wrong, because other bosses have active FFA communities. It's nice not having to deal with the annoying, flawed lootshare system, and also to have a team that is motivated to perform well instead of being asleep at the wheel, brewed down, because it doesn't matter how much damage they do. Corp FFA is a constant battle that stays interesting, 6 man corp LS is a boring grind. There's no reason why people wouldn't be drawn to the same thing at a new boss.

I'm not saying that no one will ffa. I'm saying that with an efficient and knowledgable team ls is always better than ffa. Sometimes going all out on dps potential is not the best way to kill a boss.

I'm not saying that no one will ffa. I'm saying that with an efficient and knowledgable team ls is always better than ffa. Sometimes going all out on dps potential is not the best way to kill a boss.

You won't hear me denying that, but my point in the post you originally quoted was that it's feasible for it to maintain a FFA community, not that FFA is omg the only way to kill Nex.