Nex Strategy Discussion

TheAncient

Speaking of the 7-man (and the following 6-man), a few other things came up.

1) We tried all using normal prayers, following Stokenut's advice. No one in the room had Ancient Curses activated. Nex used Soul Split anyways. Nex was healing via Soul Split anyways. We figured it was bogus, so we switched to curses for a 6-man afterwards (Grimy was tired). Like always, Nex used Soul Split. She seemed to heal slightly more when we were using Curses, but it was not a huge amount. Using normal prayers will not stop Nex from healing via Soul Split. It may slow down how fast Nex heals. The other possibility is that we simply hit less on our second run (very possible since we had one less person), or she used more of her multiple target attacks which obviously would heal her more.

2) As Grimy mentioned, we had both Hand Cannons and Crossbows going at the same time. Blood forfeit spamming consistently yielded about 50% more ranged experience for the trip. Unless Void is less accurate than a mix of Black D'hide and Verac's (crossbow users weren't in Void, I don't think), I think it's pretty clearly in favor of the Crossbow. Also, most of us were just using plain Rune Crossbows.

3) During the first kill, I noticed that Nex missed me entirely with her melee attack two or three times during one of her rampages in the last phase. I paid more attention during the second kill, and her magic attack missed me once, but again her melee attack missed me a couple times (she targeted me once during the Shadow phase and once during the last phase, each time attacking me two or three times). There's two things to take away from this. Firstly, her attacks can miss, so defense likely is beneficial. However, the effect is likely minor considering how seldom she misses. Secondly, although I'm well aware 2 trips do not constitute a proper statistical sample, it is very possible that her magic attack vastly outclasses her melee attack. That means magic defense may actually be less important than melee defense. In fact, a good portion of her magic attacks simply might not miss, similar to how Commander Zilyana's lightning pretty much won't miss you no matter how much magic defense you have. If this is true, then Black D'hide Armor is actually superior to Karil's. Both have the same range attack, while D'hide has better melee defense and Karil's has better magic and ranged. Armadyl or Pernix is likely better for the increased range attack (but the melee penalties will affect you if you are using claws).

4) For a small team, special restore potions are vital. They allow you to unleash 2 Dragon Claw specials each on Smoke (with 6 people, this is about 2/3 of the hitpoints you have to take off, done in only a few seconds), recharge during Shadow, unleash another 2 Dragon Claw specials each on Blood (be careful you don't hit her siphon), recharge during Ice, and unleash a final 2 on the final phase. This lets you speed through Smoke (the most damaging overall), Blood (the longest and most prayer-taxing), and Final (can be most damaging to a single player if they're unfortunate enough for Nex to focus on them, and can take quite a while otherwise).

As a 7-man team we screwed up in several places, and at least three of our seven members had more than enough supplies for a third kill. If two people didn't have to teleport mid-kill due to Nex focusing on them a lot, we would've easily been able to redistribute supplies and kill a third. I imagine with the current strategies, perfectly or near-perfectly executed, a team of six should be able to get three kills.

- If you count on each kill being about 12 minutes including spawn time, and the kill count taking about 15 minutes, that yields 51 minutes for 3 kills for 6 people, or ~0.59 kills per person per hour (a term Grimy came up with).

- Assuming you only consistently manage 2 kills, you're getting approximately ~0.51 kills per person per hour.

- A typical "mass" like the ones shown getting kills in 3 minutes (4 minutes including spawn time) usually has around 35 people. They typically last around 15 kills (, which is ~0.34 kills per person per hour.

- One of the 15-man teams (they typically manage 5 minute kills) expects around 6 kills a trip right now, which would be ~0.47 kills per person per hour.

These are only approximations of course. It's worth noting that the 3 minute kills seen on video are typically cherry-picked from the trips, not to mention masses take longer to coordinate, and a few people messing up can seriously slow down your kills. I guess the point I'm trying to get across here is that even now, while we're experimenting with our setups, a coordinated 6-man team can already score kills more efficiently than a mass.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking it's still better to do larger teams that can stay for 5+ kills. banking/regrouping takes a lot of time.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

9 man trips w/ claws maul ccb rigour can get 7ish kills a trip consistantly and in under 5 mins ea, and is probably the best way atm

all 9 claw at start, instant kill the first phase, lasts 5 seconds

pro range and range the second, lasts 40 seconds

just maul blood out before it gets to siphon twice, lasts 60 seconds

stay together but spread for ice (like you would in cwa), lasts 30 seconds

range/melee the last phase while dd'd on where the ice mini died, lasts 60 seconds

+ ~ 20 seconds on each mini

A little off the topic, but still Nex related, are Ancient Ceremonial Robes obtainable? I don't mind busting out some cash, but I don't wanna waste time trying to get if it's bought out.

Theyre pretty common drops. In a few weeks they'll be basically worthless.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

This was posted on RSOF byMod hunter

[spoiler=Mod Hunter said]Hey all,

I thought you may be interested in some numbers from Nex, unfortunately as certain worlds had to be taken down for maintenance this isn't completely accurate.

Within the first day of the prison being entered, Nex claimed 1,761 victims. Since this time, a total of 3,399 have fallen. Nex herself has been defeated 4,751 times, however she always returns...

Many have obtained a key and have chosen to step inside the prison, over 100,000 being brave enough to enter the area containing ancient minions.

Those who survive this ordeal and face the mighty Nex have chosen to attack her almost 2,000,000 times! 257,000 of these whilst Nex has had soul split active, 248,000 whilst deflecting melee attacks.

Nex appears to be at her strongest in World 76, in which 164 players have died, closely followed by world 98 with 163 deaths and world 158 with 159 deaths.

Nex prevents me telling the worlds in which she is overwhelmed, however she has been defeated 616 times in a single world, followed by 423 and 369 defeats. In many, however, Nex stands strong suffering no defeats.

Quick find code: 15-16-165-62155005

Page 25

He gave a tip about hes weakness:

dEtSH.png

it has been confirmed that if everyone use normal prays and not curses he wont use soulsplit.

I thought you may be interested in some numbers from Nex, unfortunately as certain worlds had to be taken down for maintenance this isn't completely accurate.

Within the first day of the prison being entered, Nex claimed 1,761 victims. Since this time, a total of 3,399 have fallen. Nex herself has been defeated 4,751 times, however she always returns...

Many have obtained a key and have chosen to step inside the prison, over 100,000 being brave enough to enter the area containing ancient minions.

Those who survive this ordeal and face the mighty Nex have chosen to attack her almost 2,000,000 times! 257,000 of these whilst Nex has had soul split active, 248,000 whilst deflecting melee attacks.

Nex appears to be at her strongest in World 76, in which 164 players have died, closely followed by world 98 with 163 deaths and world 158 with 159 deaths.

Nex prevents me telling the worlds in which she is overwhelmed, however she has been defeated 616 times in a single world, followed by 423 and 369 defeats. In many, however, Nex stands strong suffering no defeats.

Page 25

dEtSH.png

it has been confirmed that if everyone use normal prays and not curses he wont use soulsplit.

That's a confirmation that it doesn't matter, isn't it?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

9 man trips w/ claws maul ccb rigour can get 7ish kills a trip consistantly and in under 5 mins ea, and is probably the best way atm

all 9 claw at start, instant kill the first phase, lasts 5 seconds

pro range and range the second, lasts 40 seconds

just maul blood out before it gets to siphon twice, lasts 60 seconds

stay together but spread for ice (like you would in cwa), lasts 30 seconds

range/melee the last phase while dd'd on where the ice mini died, lasts 60 seconds

+ ~ 20 seconds on each mini

Well, that's not surprising really. If 5 coordinated people are better than 15 uncoordinated people despite having relatively even equipment, then naturally 10 coordinated people will do pretty darn well too. There's probably a point at which adding more people is no longer efficient, but we probably won't find that point until the rest of our questions are answered.

Although, you mentioned Chaotic Maul. I've seen both Veracs and C Maul used side by side, and I honestly don't see that big of a difference. I haven't had a chance to use CM myself yet, but from what I can tell, Maul hits more 500s, while Veracs has better accuracy in general thanks to its special. Have you had people compare experience gain when using the two side-by-side? We sort of forgot to track that for our kills. =p

This is quite interesting. It's the first time I remember them posting number figures like that. Now, if anybody kept track how many items were dropped (I guess a rough estimatie should be possible if you visit Nex/w2/high lvl clans/... often), we can start guessing drop rates.

Page 25

dEtSH.png

That's what I thought. Not sure where he got his conclusion from.

Page 25

dEtSH.png

I.e - The PRAYER book, shouldn't effect her using soulsplit - not curses.

Does this imply her abilities for that phase are Mirrored or leeched (A fairly common boss trait in various other games)

So by not using curses (Curses are Zaros right?) she can't leech and utilise her most powerful abilities?

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

Page 25

dEtSH.png

OR prayer book as in, zammy/guthix/sara offhand?

things stood out to me from this post

1. the world shes died 600+ times in is likely w70 (the ffa world)

2. the fact shes undefeated in some worlds is amazing

3. shes killed more people than have killed her lolol

i realy wish we had more facts like this, realy interesting

a_final_name.png

[hide]

Page 25

dEtSH.png

[/hide]

Does this imply her abilities for that phase are Mirrored or leeched (A fairly common boss trait in various other games)

So by not using curses (Curses are Zaros right?) she can't leech and utilise her most powerful abilities?

Notice how prayer books is plural. That indicates that neither book should have any effect. The thought that curses might be a hindrance was logical, but you have to admit the opposite is just as believable.

wl7w9j.png

It's not weird that she hasn't been defeated in all worlds.

Some of the worlds are not ls worlds, and I don't think people go ffa in random worlds.

She will probably never be killed on every world. There's this whole "Free-to-play" thing going on that stops that.

Even if he's not counting those, there's PvP worlds (although someone may use them sometime).

aren't prayer books those things that you put 4 pages in...or that one that heals poison?

Yeah, but the list of prayers is also knows as your prayer book. Kinda like lunar's, Ancient, and regular magic are in 3 different "spell books" (spell book swap from lunars tells us this)

pere_grin.png

well, why would he put a ;) at the end of his post if it was meant to be taken literally?

Idk. From my first impression, he is saying that none of the things you can pray, be they curses or regular prayers, should have an effect on the soulsplit stage.

Basically Curses are from Zaros. Curses include Soulsplit. Nex is from Zaros. Therefore, Nex has Curses, which include Soulsplit, and there is nothing we players can do about it.

Or he could be messing with our minds. :ohnoes:

In other news, did anyone that if you use the European way of writing dates (dd/mm/yyyy), the date Nex was released was 10/01/2011. And she is level 1001.

1001 -> 10/01 -> day and month of release. Coincidence?

pere_grin.png

well, why would he put a ;) at the end of his post if it was meant to be taken literally?

Idk. From my first impression, he is saying that none of the things you can pray, be they curses or regular prayers, should have an effect on the soulsplit stage.

Basically Curses are from Zaros. Curses include Soulsplit. Nex is from Zaros. Therefore, Nex has Curses, which include Soulsplit, and there is nothing we players can do about it.

Or he could be messing with our minds. :ohnoes:

In other news, did anyone that if you use the European way of writing dates (dd/mm/yyyy), the date Nex was released was 10/01/2011. And she is level 1001.

1001 -> 10/01 -> day and month of release. Coincidence?

that was realised the 1st day nex was released.