Nex Strategy Discussion

TheAncient

I personally think an all out offensive set should still be the best, seeing that defence bonuses don't matter that much (manuel dodging and positioning does), and a higher max shouldn't hurt that much.

Ya, assuming range damage is calculated from 0 to max hit, the weapon you will want will be dependent on your gear.

For example, at 99 range + void + Rigour, Diamond bolts max at 496. If you have this setup, using a hand cannon for extra damage would be a mood point since you already have almost reached the 500 cap. Damage from HC is only 640-ish? so you wont really hit more high hits with a cannon than you would with diamond bolts. Or would you?

If you had lesser gear though, such as not using void or Rigour, you might want to go with a hand cannon instead due to the fact your max with bolts will be more around 397. In that case the cannon will help you reach the cap damage since your bolts damage is much lower.

Since both are the same speed, I would say it really depends on the players gear setup rather than one weapon being significantly "better" than the other for everyone.

Void + Rigour = Diamond Bolts?

Everything else lower = HC?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't gotten around at testing it, but is it eagle eye>leech range or only rigour>leech range? Looks like I'll be getting rigour anyways soe time soon but it would be nice to know for now.

Honestly, I think we'd all be better off just forming a team out of the players on this forum. We all seem to know what we're doing, and while some of us may have differing choices, gear wise, I think the simple fact that we all kind know wassup would put us at a better advantage than from finding an RSOF team. We could fill any extra spots needed with our own friends whom we know are good too.

If you're interested, throw me a Private Message on here or just say so in the thread. I can't turn my private on in game, unfortunately I still get spammed by people, for various things.

Unless someone has a better idea for accessibility.

I like this idea, im having a very hard time finding any sort of competence on rsof =(. So count me in if you want me.

pepijn777.png

I'd say Eagle eye > Leech range too since it wont lower her stats, she also doesn't even use range I believe.

Also, I noticed in the videos that one of the magers (Fumus I think) throws a leech defence on Nex when the fight begins. Meaning her defence is boosted/(or lowered wat?) until that mage is defeted.

Some one might already have pointed it out, but I'm just making sure.

I think the max damage is true, 500 with ruby bolts.....hit 508 with it on mithril dragons....why 500 flat?

it's kind of corp, just another limit to make it harder

Umm, wouldn't it be ridiculously stupid if you'd hit 6000's on Nex and 4000's on corp? I think a limit of 500 per hit makes perfect sense, and it's a nice round number to cap it. For average damage, if your max damage is 640, your average hit on Nex will be 305(down from 320), while your average damage with 500 max hit will be 250, thus the limit isn't all that bad for ranged. For melee, however, maul and cls are very much shafted by it.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

when did I say it was a bad idea?

Don't put words in my mouth please.

I challenge you to find me saying that it's a bad idea without editing it...

Don't put.... oh, right.

My point was that it's not really meant to make things harder per se, but rather limit an attack that would otherwise be totally lethal to any high-lp-high-def monster. Halving your damage with non-spear weapons and capping the damage at 500 is to make it harder.

The reason is because jagex is lazy.

They copied and pasted several properties from dungeoneering instead of making new, original code.

Nex has thunderous' grapple attack.

and Kalger's 500 damage cap.

Naaxi.png

They copied and pasted several properties from dungeoneering instead of making new, original code.

Well, i wouldn't be too disappointing to see jagex release several dungeoneering bosses for real rs killing- atleast you are getting new bosses(and hopefully new items, which will likely also be copy-pasted), something we haven't had too many of since... gwd?

I challenge you to find me saying that it's a bad idea without editing it...

Don't put.... oh, right.

YOU didn't say it was a bad idea, you implied that I said it.

I think you missread what I said. I asked "When did "I" say it was a bad idea?". I never said that you thought it was a bad idea.

My point was that it's not really meant to make things harder per se, but rather limit an attack that would otherwise be totally lethal to any high-lp-high-def monster. Halving your damage with non-spear weapons and capping the damage at 500 is to make it harder.

That was my point as well...what are you trying to prove to me here?

Ok....? Reason for what?

I am deeply confused here....

All I did was explain why there was a 500 dammage cap to someone....to make the boss harder...

Now I get these odd responses that don't make sense to anything I've said :unsure:

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

That was my point as well...what are you trying to prove to me here?

You said that the damage cap on ruby bolts(as the guy was clearly talking about ruby bolts) was to make Nex harder, however, it's not entirely accurate in that Ruby bolts have always been looked at differently for high LP bosses because of their lethal power.

Also, if you didn't say it was a bad idea, why are you arguing about it? I clearly didn't say you did say so, so, what's the problem? Maybe you misunderstood what i wrote, because i definitely didn't put any words in your mouth.

Umm, wouldn't it be ridiculously stupid if you'd hit 6000's on Nex and 4000's on corp? I think a limit of 500 per hit makes perfect sense, and it's a nice round number to cap it.

It was implied that the idea of capping it didn't make sense to me.

The 500 limit is applied to all hits, the person I answered was using ruby bolts to confirm it. Then asked "why 500?"

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

Has anyone considered the possibility that Nex's five different forms may have different weaknesses? Last night I was with a fairly decent RSOF team, and we decided to try the Veracs/Range hybrid build. It worked terribly overall, our team of ~12 barely lasted 2 kills, while purely ranging we could easily last 3 (after that, some of us had supplies for 4th and 5th kills but about half the team would start failing making it very hard to keep going).

On kill 1, following the plan, we used melee while Nex was Soul Splitting. About 2/3 of us were using Veracs or Chaotic Maul, the other 1/3 neglected to follow directions and didn't bring melee weapons so they kept ranging. At least 2/3 of the splats were ranged, and melee was horribly inaccurate. On the second kill, I decided on my own to deviate from our plan and instead used melee against the Shadow phase. To my surprise, I hit at least 80% of the time.

It may have just been luck, but it seemed awfully suspicious to me. It may be that each phase has its own weakness. I know magic has been tested numerous times, but has it been tested on every form or just one of them?

Also, for some reason it seems Blood forfeit is capped to 300 against Nex's final phase. However, damage from other sources is still capped at 500.

Umm, wouldn't it be ridiculously stupid if you'd hit 6000's on Nex and 4000's on corp? I think a limit of 500 per hit makes perfect sense, and it's a nice round number to cap it.

The 500 limit is applied to all hits, the person I answered was using ruby bolts to confirm it. Then asked "why 500?"

It's a question. I see nowhere where i say that you think it's a bad idea, rather i'm asking you weather it would be.

As for all the hits, as you mentioned corp, corp is capped at 1000, not 500 for ruby bolts, and he was clearly talking about ruby bolts. As far as i can see, capping ruby bolts on high LP bosses is always a separate priority, no matter if anything else is capped aswell. The caps are separate for corp, why wouldn't we see them the same way for Nex? Ask yourself this, if normal damage wasn't capped for Nex, would ruby bolts still be capped?

It's a question. I see nowhere where i say that you think it's a bad idea, rather i'm asking you weather it would be.

As for all the hits, as you mentioned corp, corp is capped at 1000, not 500 for ruby bolts, and he was clearly talking about ruby bolts. As far as i can see, capping ruby bolts on high LP bosses is always a separate priority, no matter if anything else is capped aswell. The caps are separate for corp, why wouldn't we see them the same way for Nex? Ask yourself this, if normal damage wasn't capped for Nex, would ruby bolts still be capped?

Blood forfeit is otherwise capped. Once Nex starts using Soul Split and Deflect Melee, Blood forfeit never hits over 300, but normal shots from Ruby bolts can hit over 300.

By asking me the question (especially the way you did) it makes it appear as though you are challenging me, thinking that I didn't agree with the cap. If you didn't think I wasn't in agreement, you wouldn't have asked the question. It's how I interpreted it.

You ask a hypothetical question, and quickly follow it up with what you think is the right answer. When you type like that to people, it makes it look like you're challenging them.

Here is the original question I answered

I think the max damage is true, 500 with ruby bolts.....hit 508 with it on mithril dragons....why 500 flat?

If you read it....he is talking about ALL hits, and is just using the ruby bolt spec as a form of confirmation.

We obviously are not understanding each other here, and are just inferring things differently. I do not think I'm wrong...nor do I think you are either, just...misunderstandings....

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

Blood forfeit is otherwise capped. Once Nex starts using Soul Split and Deflect Melee, Blood forfeit never hits over 300, but normal shots from Ruby bolts can hit over 300.

Have you considered that it may be because...you know...20% of any number is not over 500? does make sense to me...

And well, SirIzenhime, you might be right, it's just way too often we talk past eachother...

Have you considered that it may be because...you know...20% of any number is not over 500? does make sense to me...

And well, SirIzenhime, you might be right, it's just way too often we talk past eachother...

Then why would it hit 300 exactly three times in a row? Amidst several other 300s hit by other people on my team?

Based on a trip I took with Soma, amongst other Tipiters, I think we all found the following to be true.... Here's a rough guide. Not comprehensive.

Nex starts in the middle of the room, and will occasionally use her little gravity attack to bring you to the center and disable your protection prayers. Safe up and get those protection prayers back up ASAP. STAY OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM. She has an attack where she says "There is...", then she f***s anyone who is in the middle of the room with a high hit. Best to range her from a distance around the little cross, on the outside. If someone has the virus on them, don't stand in any adjacent squares, or you will start to *cough*, and will lose stats / prayer rapidly. Range this form.

Initial starting portion (Smoke)

Pray Mage / Range Nex

When Nex calls for Fumus, most typically when meleeing, the virus will catch everyone and everyone will start rapid *cough*ing aka losing stats / prayer. We're pretty sure it's best to "tank" that out and just pile Fumus until he dies. So:

When Fumus becomes attackable

Pray Mage / Melee Fumus

With Fumus down, Nex begins to range you. Nex is weak to Melee, Crush specifically during the Shadow Portion, but with shadows appearing under players and dealing in the 500's of damage, a well as being dealt constant rapid damage when the room goes dark and when you are by Nex, it's still advised to range. Therefore:

Second portion (Shadow)

Pray Range / Range Nex

We found that even with Nex ranging, Umbra will deal more consistant damage, so once Nex calls for Umbra, you're better off protecting from Magic again. So:

When Umbra becomes attackable

Pray Mage / Melee Umbra

After Umbra dies, Nex cycles between a Siphoning move, which will heal whatever you would have hit her for. So don't attack her when she does this. (Purple splats). She also can summon Blood Reavers which will heal her. We weren't sure whether it was better to kill them off, or to just get them attacking a player, so I can't advise either. Finally, she can mark certain players entirely red, and while that doesn't do much damage, it drains everyone's prayer by around 20. She is very vulnerable to Crush attacks in this stage. It's recommended to use any Melee Special attacks in this form, simply to get her out of it as fast as possible, since the longer she's in this form, the more opportunities she has to heal.

Third portion (Blood)

Pray Mage / Melee Nex (Crush / Spec only) [GET THIS FORM DOWN ASAP]

Nothing changes when she calls for Cruor.

When Cruor becomes attackable

Pray Mage / Melee Cruor

With Cruor down, Nex will begin freezing everyone with Ice Barrages (which won't deal damage if you pray, but will still freeze you). She can also trap herself / possibly someone with her in an ice cage, so melee is not a viable attack style for this form. If she surrounds you in a square of icicles, in which you can't move, safe to over 990, because that following attack can hit up to it, though usually hits in the 700s. Team mates can attack the ice cage you're stuck in and break the icicles so you don't get hit, but this must be done very quickly. Don't hit icicles diagonal from whoever is stuck, it won't help them escape. Nex seems more vulnerable to range in this form than in any other, she should call for Glacies quickly.

Fourth portion (Ice)

Pray Mage / Range Nex

When Nex finally calls for Glacies, nothing changes. Continue watching your health and safing to over 990 if you get stuck in a tiny ice cage.

When Glacies becomes attackable

Pray Mage / Melee Glacies

Now that all 4 minions have been killed, Nex enters her final stage, where she switches between Soulsplit, Protect Melee, and no overhead. THE ABSOLUTE BEST METHOD TO KILL HER FINAL FORM IS TO FORM A DEATHDOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM. This means have everyone go to the center so she follows you there, and everyone stands on the same square and attacks her. She is extremely weak to ALL forms of melee in this final portion, so when she has soulsplit / no overhead on, Melee her. ONLY range her when she protects melee. Verac's / meleeing her during protect form isn't advised, as her deflects can hit 300s. She will ocasionally do an AoE magic attack in this form, but not too often. She usually melees and picks a target and stays on them a while. Protect melee doesn't seem to reduce her melee damage, but it DOES make her switch to someone else faster. In this final portion, I advise you pray Soulsplit instead of protecting from anything, unless she is meleeing you. If you're on normal prayers protect from Magic, and then Melee when she melees you. She will go down very fast.

Final portion (SS / Prot Melee)

Curses: Pray SS / Melee if she's on you

Prayers: Pray Magic / Melee if she's on you

Melee unless she puts on Protect Melee, then range.

so ya.

Couple things to expand on.

First of all, the attack that makes your character say "*Cough*" is a little cloud of smoke. If you look closely you can see the animation on your character, and there's a message when the effect wears off.

Second of all, positioning is VERY important.

During the Smoke and Shadow phases, you want to stay spread out. The smoke cloud is really taxing on your prayer, so you don't want to pass it on. It's best if it fades off not long after you slay Fumus.

During the Shadow phase, her more powerful spell can be dodged. Ideally, you would minimize the splats by making a big death dot. However, her screen darkening attack actually causes damage over time to anyone near her, so she tries to charge into melee range. This is very taxing on supplies so staying in one pile backfires rather badly. Instead, the best option is to spread out - leave plenty of space between you and your allies, so everyone has somewhere to move to avoid the shadows. This is also helpful when someone still retains the smoke cloud, as this will wear it off.

During the Blood phase, Nex's offense goes way down. Honestly, I'm convinced the Bloodreavers don't do anything besides minor damage. She doesn't do a lot of damage in this phase, you can even safely soul split flash to heal off. The difficult part is between her Siphon and blood spells, this phase can take a very long time. Also, when she marks someone for a sacrifice, if that person doesn't escape, everyone loses prayer. Together, this can really cut your supplies. I feel the best approach is to simply take her down as quickly as possible. She has a crush weakness in this stage, so just take the prayer loss from blood sacrifice, don't hit her Siphon, and end this phase as soon as you can.

The Ice phase is the one which I feel people generally least understand. She has two special attacks. The first, signified by her crying "Contain this!", simply sets up ice walls around her. If you're standing on the spot where icicles erupt, you'll have your prayer turned off and take a hit. The second, signified by "Die now, in a prison of ice!" only targets a single person. Even if you happen to be standing on the same spot as her victim, you will not be affected. If you are not the target, like Logdotzip said, attack one of the icicles adjacent to the target (do not attack the corners). If you are the target, get your LP up because the attack is usually too fast for most players to react, but watch for an escape. If your team mates are fast enough, run through the gap. One of the best positions to fight this form in is near the corner where Cruor is slain. Form a deathdot if possible. Simply back up if she casts her first attack, and if the second is cast, either free your team mate or heal and try to escape. Throughout this form, she will cast ice barrage, but your prayer will protect you entirely. Standing in a deathdot means you can often take her down in under 15 seconds if your team has around 10 people.

Like some people have already mentioned, when you get to the final phase, simply form a death dot near where Glacies is killed. Some people advocate the corner itself for ease, but I personally think it's better to be on the outside, so you can escape Wrath. She will alternate, Soul Split, Deflect Melee, No overhead prayer. Memorize the pattern and follow it - hitting her Deflect Melee will always hit you back for 300. I personally found that any melee attack is great for this part. Chaotic Rapier, Longsword, and Maul all work fantastically here, for some reason, even though both the Rapier and Longsword seem to fall short against Blood. Just remember to time your attacks and switch to range appropriately.

It may sound unorthodox but the setup I'm currently favoring would be dual-Void with Rapier, Maul, and Crossbow, using either SWH or BGS for special attacks. Range during the Smoke and Shadow phases, using a Divine to mitigate damage since Nex does the most consistent damage during these two phases, and use the Rapier to kill off the two mages. Then use the Maul to power through her Blood phase quickly, and Rapier again to kill off the mage. Used range for the Ice phase, then rapier for the mage. Then use a combination of range/melee on the final phase - I'm not certain whether Maul or Rapier is better here. SWH and BGS specials should be used either at the beginning of the Blood phase or the beginning of the final phase, as these are the two you're most likely to hit, and also the two that heal (thus making it more critical you maximize your DPS. This is just hypothetical - I haven't done enough Dungeoneering so I don't have all three of the chaotics yet. However, it's worth noting that while crush is very effective against blood, range is still effective as well. For those people who only have one chaotic, you can either just keep ranging through the Blood phase and use the Rapier/Longsword for the final, or use Maul during the Blood phase and bring a whip for the mages.