2006 runescape vs. 2011 runescape?

TheGreatGeno

To be honest, I like the current Runescape now since free trade and the old-style Wilderness are back. The graphics are so much better than 2006, and there's a lot more content for me to mess with.

Sure, the feeling is different. I was younger back then, and I miss the nostalgia of dragon chainbodies and Barrows being the elite gear, World 2 Falador being the center of trade for the world (which it can honestly become that way again, and it should) and the Kalphite Queen being an extremely profitable boss monster.

At least the graphics don't make me want to vomit, though. ^^

People don't realize how far the game has come. No grand exchange. No lending system. No assist system. The walking backwards bug. No good bosses. No summoning and so on. The people on this game are ridiculously nostalgic. I'd rather go forward than backwards.

Holy [cabbage]! I didn't notice you on here. Long time, no see. ^^

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

People don't realize how far the game has come. No grand exchange. No lending system. No assist system. The walking backwards bug. No good bosses. No summoning and so on. The people on this game are ridiculously nostalgic. I'd rather go forward than backwards.

Agreed, so much more to do now, like someone said if you love the old RS, just play classic.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Gameplay: 2011 (Plenty of fantastic updates)

Community: 2006 (even Tipit is noticeably worse, maybe it's just society)

Jagex: 2006 (Phoning it in lately with all of the Wildy stuff and getting weaker on the scum of the game)

Personal enjoyment: 2006 (everything is better when you play for fun and adventure, not grinding in a bank for 100 hours)

I wish everything was like 2006 man. I would log on, see a friends list full of friends I knew from real life, brag to each other about each level we gained and stuff like that. Now I log on to an empty friends list and make sure my private chat is off, incase anybody that still plays see me online. In my opinion the game is much better in 2011 than 2006, but in my mind I will always wish it was like the old days.

Gameplay: 2011 (Plenty of fantastic updates)

Community: 2006 (even Tipit is noticeably worse, maybe it's just society)

Jagex: 2006 (Phoning it in lately with all of the Wildy stuff and getting weaker on the scum of the game)

Personal enjoyment: 2006 (everything is better when you play for fun and adventure, not grinding in a bank for 100 hours)

I think you got the best point on this thread, nowadays 2011 its all about grinding, although I wouldn't say its the year specifically, but how far everyone has come since they first started. I'd say majority of players have started in 2004-2005, so most players by now should have a few 99s, plenty of cash, and + 110CB, I mean its kinda ridiculous when you think of HP as being a super hard cape to get yet over 100K people have gotten it just due to how long the game has been out.

2006 -- your a noob looking up to some big goals

2011 -- your a seasoned player, and now are playing at a higher level to be the "better" character than those around you

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Who says it's all about grinding? As a f2per who started in 2008, I say this game is still played for casual reasons.

Obviously I prefer Runescape now because I didn't even know what it was a few years ago.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

2011 > 2006

However, I find it fun to look at really old pictures and think "Hey, I remember when it was like that!"

If you think it's all about grinding now...that's your fault for not doing things you find fun. If you aren't able to find things in this game you find fun, stop playing.

The grind has always been there. If anything it's been lessened because skills can be trained so much faster now.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

2006 - nostalgia < 2011

Seriously. From what I remember of "back in the days," every time you clicked, your person would walk-dance around in the general area you had been in before finally walking to where you wanted him to. Trade was a pain in the neck, what with all the people taking up space trying to scam everyone. And the autotypers, oh my gosh the autotypers. And to top it all off, my connection to any and all of the servers I could play on was laggy as all hell.

I'd much rather have 2011 Runescape, even with Jagex's current overhype of the wilderness, than go back to 2006. That's not saying there's no room for improvement, though....more bosses (sans dungeontime) would be nice. And more decent loot that can be used by the people who don't have hundreds of millions of GP to spend on it. A system that allows "intermediate" items for training and general use would be nice, instead of having 1 general "best" weapon with a few exceptions.

a70c7.png

I've been playing since pretty much Beta. And I just thought I would give my opinion.

I do think that the overall gameplay is better, and much more simple(in a good way). Meaning it isn't necessarily easier it is just much more user friendly. I would never go back to classic without the "Worn invent + inventory" that RS2 has.

I also would never be able to go back to cooking each lobster/shark 1 at a time. In a sense I've grown lazier, but it just makes the game WORK. I think Classic pking wise was much more fun, simply because you could focus on the objective on hand and not have to worry about being hit for 40000HP.

And other than classic, I also agree that times are agreeably better with free trade. The only reason I came back was for FT and PK/Stake, and I think PKing essentially is ruined just because the original fundamentals of PKing are no longer there. It's infatuated with different hybrid combos, and stuff like that; that the years prior to FT did not have.

PKing:

2001-2005>2011>2005-2011

Staking:

2005-2007(?)>2011>2002-2005

Gameplay(Quests, mechanics, graphics, etc.):

2011>every other year, although I have to say that they made the Heroes/Legends quests to be an end-all type quest...but now its just...there.

Simplicity:

Now>RS2>NonFT>RSC

Enjoyment:

RSC>RS2>Now>NonFT

moose67.png

nowadays 2011 its all about grinding

This.

How does that work...when skills take less time to train now?

Just because you're now choosing to grind, doesn't mean it didn't exist in 2006, it was worse back then.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

If I started playing as a new player now, I'm sure I would find RS more fun than I did when I started playing in 2003. Now there's more skills, additions to existing skills, more quests, tons more minigames, more bosses, more music (although quality still isn't great), tons more combat options etc

I think RuneScape's gameplay is better now than back then. However, it feels like the player base changed a lot. After going through the non-FT part, most players started changing into pro-efficiency freaks (which is perfectly fine mind you). The game gets a lot less fun for some people (including me) if you're always worrying about efficiency though. I think I am/have been heading in that direction as well, making me believe the game is getting less enjoyable. 2006 seems better to me just because I wasn't as worried about the high level and such back then.

On an unusual (and off-topic) note, I actually enjoyed the part where there was no FT. I actually voted to bring FT back. But now, money has little or no meaning, with Staking, top-tier item Merchanting, and [arguably] Gambling games making (or losing) several billions in less than a week. Non-FT meant the fastest money was gotten from MH or GE Merchanting for the most part. I enjoyed RS when I didn't have to gamble to be reasonably rich and able to afford top tier gear, and having gambling making the best money in the game is a terrible idea because in the end, most players tend to go down for one to go up.

My favorite thing about 2006 was the simplicity though. Of course you could go back to RSC, but if you started in RS2, you'd agree RSC was more complex and tedious with things like 3 rounds of combat, failing at practically all skilling tasks, etc. Nowadays, I don't think you can find a calculator to calculate your max hit. That's how complex things are. :wall:

In a nutshell/tl;dr: Non-FT > RS2 > Current > RSC

Game could be better, but the fact that I've played it since I was in middle school makes it boring now. What other video games have you played for 7 years without getting bored? Yeah.

Halo 1 on Legendary. Always a challenge and always a good time in co-op when I get together with my high school buddies.

OT: been playing since 2003 and absolutely hated playing back then compared to now. Scamming was a pain to always be on the watch for, spamming W2 fally was a complete frustration whenever I wanted to buy/sell anything. Graphics were worse. My favorite skills (dg and hunter) came out since then. I could go on.

Personally I loved the no pking in the wildy stint we had from 07 to 10. If I could have had the option to vote for free trade and no wildy (leave the pkers in their own worlds to slaughter each other for each others loot) I would have voted for that. Couldn't care less about staking either.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

How does that work...when skills take less time to train now?

Just because you're now choosing to grind, doesn't mean it didn't exist in 2006, it was worse back then.

Sorry, when I said grinding I meant how I personally feel I've changed through this game. Back when I started in 03?04? I was a true noob. I went around training my skills as I went. Cutting a line through the forest eventually finding a new city to explore. Killing any monster that got in my way regardless of level. That sort of thing. Now, it seems as though that is lost not only to me but the vast majority of the players.

I'm sure grind has always existed, but back then far far fewer players were looking for endgame stats (curse you skill capes!) so they only trained what they wanted, when they wanted it instead of "what's an easy 99? Fletching? Okay, I'll sit in this bank for 100 hours for the cape".

The only good thing about 2006 was that this thread didn't get made every other week.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/282893-current-rs-vs-07-rs/

If you want to discuss it, use the most recent thread of the kind. There is no need for multiple versions of it. If you want to creae a thread, remember to use the search function first to check if it has already been made. Locking this.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^