Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 22nd May 2011

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Read these rules before posting in this thread

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Jaffy1
[ Display Name History ]

Jaffy1

Retired Crew Leader

• Members
  • 3,556 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Ms Julie

This is where the incentive to bot comes from: the motivation that players get from Jagex.

Although skillcapes are indeed incentive for players to get 99s, I don't believe they encourage botting as much as other issues. The massive increase in bots after the trade limits were removed would imply that people mainly bot for other reasons. RWT and creating cash are probably high on that list, but that doesn't mean 99s are botted because RWTers all want skillcapes.

It's good to remember that RWT does not equal botting by definition.

However, I do agree that the completist cape would encourage people to bot for it. The amount of castle wars games required is mind-boggling.

What's also interesting, is that we can assume Jagex adds these capes to keep players playing the game (by providing goals), yet if they encourage botting as a side effect, are they worth it?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Tip.It Website Crew Leader
Quotes

kamykazee
[ Display Name History ]

kamykazee

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Interesting articles. My congratulations to the writers, both of them :)

I will only comment on the second article, and state that i do not believe skill capes are a major influence in the botting activity. That is mostly because of the increase in popularity of the game. The place where the articles strikes home, however, is that players have indeed 'alienated' themselves a bit because of these capes. The temptation is great, especially with the completionist cape and the new range of capes going from level 10 to 99. It is quite fun to have those capes, they look posh and what not, but the effort required to get them is not worth it, in my opinion, unless ofcourse you enjoy the journey it ensues.

Posted Image

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
That being said, a large part of botting implies that a bot would be better suited for the task than a human....if they made it so a human's abilities were played up and it weren't so reliant on the "grind", it wouldn't be as useful to bot.

8f14270694.jpg

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D
Both articles this week were pretty good; the second one caught my eye more.

I'll only speak in broad terms about the matter - Jagex seems to encourage botting indirectly by offering rewards (skillcapes) for tedious grinding. In reality it's reasonable to get all of the capes without grinding, but in practice, that which is tedious is often automated.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Nifflin
[ Display Name History ]

Nifflin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • RSN:Nifflin
  • RSN2:Runnersdie
The game isn't dying because of skillcapes.

Correlation =/= causation.

PM me in game anytime

oldyoung
[ Display Name History ]

oldyoung

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 14 posts

This is where the incentive to bot comes from: the motivation that players get from Jagex.

Although skillcapes are indeed incentive for players to get 99s, I don't believe they encourage botting as much as other issues. The massive increase in bots after the trade limits were removed would imply that people mainly bot for other reasons. RWT and creating cash are probably high on that list, but that doesn't mean 99s are botted because RWTers all want skillcapes.

It's good to remember that RWT does not equal botting by definition.

However, I do agree that the completist cape would encourage people to bot for it. The amount of castle wars games required is mind-boggling.

What's also interesting, is that we can assume Jagex adds these capes to keep players playing the game (by providing goals), yet if they encourage botting as a side effect, are they worth it?

true but what do you spend you gp on? i always used to buy d bones and herbs... :???:

basically the incentive for rwt is people who buy gp wich they use to grind 99's wich they want to "show off" with skill capes so i tottally agree with the article -.-

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
I totally agree with The Skillcape Killed Runescape; bots were prevalent before RWT, I'm sorry "free trade", was reintroduced because people were trying to grind their way to a 99 so they could get a skillcape and show off how hard they "worked". Is that Jagex's fault? Of course not; show me a RPG that doesn't involve some form of training to get your character to a high level. RuneScape just happens to do it for 25 skills instead of a handful.

I will object to one point, however:

Skillcapes, then, are the only motivation for people to get 99s.

How then would you explain the number of F2P lifers with not one, but several 99's? I myself am working on getting one (eventually, it's coming. No, really. :lol: ) and am doing it for nothing more than the challenge it ensues.

As for Implications of a Long, I think removing the xp cap would only usher in a new era of competing for the highest rank in a skill and simply bring more bots into the game as more and more players would be trying to get ranked higher than all their friends.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Crossed_Body
[ Display Name History ]

Crossed_Body

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • RSN:Crossed Body
First article was cool; Didn't read the second article because I heavily disagreed to the title and already knew where that would lead.
Posted Image

Michael
[ Display Name History ]

Michael

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • RSN:Trollgazer
Should be noted that in the first article it says 120 is 103m, when in actuality its 104.2m.

Andregiant
[ Display Name History ]

Andregiant

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • RSN:AndreGiant
Both articles were really good.

I perfectly understand the first one, as I am a computer programmer myself.
The language I use (Basic, 1980''s) lol, has a short 32,767, a single, 7 digits, and a long 15 digits.
Back then, hard disks held minimum storage, so you had to work your way around saving space.

So I sure understand the constraint they had at first.

As for the 2nd article, I've been playing since 2003, and yes! the game sure has changed.
It used to be, for me, fishing a bit, mining a bit. then stitting around with friends, chatting.

No longer. It's 'give me an hour, getting xx level soon'. The friendship part is still there, but different

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but it has changed a lot.

Evolution you think? lol.
Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Should be noted that in the first article it says 120 is 103m, when in actuality its 104.2m.

I don't know why I thought that. Thanks.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The_Fray
[ Display Name History ]

The_Fray

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • RSN:Rook
129-130-741-62750608

I saw the second article on RSOF, I did not find the author's evidence sufficient to prove his claims. The author goes into more depth about it on RSOF, so if you truly enjoyed the article then you can check out the original.

SythenRs
[ Display Name History ]

SythenRs

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • RSN:SnowJoke
If Jagex came out with a fool proof method of detecting and banning every single player that had ever used a bot. Then I feel that both increasing max XP and introducing more rewards similar to the skill cape, would be fantastic additions to the game. Not to mention if they managed this the hi-scores would look a lot more reasonable. :)

Snowjoke.png

uath13
[ Display Name History ]

uath13

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • RSN:Lord Uathen
  • Clan:The Pendragonate
I have to agree with the skillcape issue. I have a friend who's spending hours on end standing around in the G.E. buying himself a fletching skillcape. Yea, that sounds like fun. <_< I may have a few skillcapes but they were all acheved unintentionally & without grinding for hours on end. I could have my firemaking cape tonight since I'm only 90k xp away from it but I'm not going to senselessly grind away at it to get it.

I managed to pull my buddy away for a little bit with the promise that I'd provide our disease protection as we thieved coffins in Jig Gig. Within 1/2 an hour the urge to go back to grinding for that cape overwhelmed him.

Worse yet is the fact that he's buying all those logs which just supports the bot industry. :shame:
Posted Image

exterrrr
[ Display Name History ]

exterrrr

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • RSN:Juxter
Why does every times have to mention botting and rwt? I'm tired of it alredy.
You really have nothing else to write about?
Posted Image
Quest cape achieved on 7/11/2010.

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

It's a big issue plaguing RS. It's hardly their fault that the bot/RWT problem is there, they're just writing about it.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Dire_Wolf
[ Display Name History ]

Dire_Wolf

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,721 posts
I really liked your article Nomad Rogue. Well done :thumbup:

I quit playing Runescape because of the path called "Grinding". And a classmate of mine said "Why do you play Runescape? IT*S A GRIND GAME!". I did not understand where he was coming from back then, because Runescape had a mild form of grinding. But with Completionist cape and Max, i now understand him better.

Master_Smither
[ Display Name History ]

Master_Smither

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,267 posts
  • RSN:Runescapew44

Although it's beating a dead horse per say, it is as important as 26king used to be. There were countless articles in regards to the inflation and problems it was causing, and they were all relative and immediate. Moreover, it's a topic which will draw discussion among the community and that is one the goals when we write.

There is plenty to write about within RuneScape, but we choose to pick the current issues at hand and address them. Sometimes a new opinion by an author or bringing an old opinion to light is enough to spark intelligent discussion of the topic, and that is what we love :P.

On a different note, very nice articles this week; both were good reads. :)

Good DYK this week as well.
Click for My Blog

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
Going to address various things in the second article, which looks like a rehash of Capescape V2, honestly.

As I message my friends to hang out, I get the typical “Not now man, I’m trying to train!” or “Dude I’m level 96! Gotta get 99 soon!” This begs the question, what caused this change in gameplay? Skillcapes.

there was no content driving me to grind for 99 Fletching aside from bragging to my friends by wearing a cape.

Perhaps this is why your friends are like that, hmm? :P
Not everyone grinds to 99 for bragging rights, too. On a personal level, I train my skills for personal satisfaction, and rising on the highscores is merely icing on the cake.

We all know that skills in RuneScape are mindless.

Dungeoneering.

Jagex unknowingly gave bots and real world traders every incentive to do their illicit activities.

This isn't a fault of Jagex, but rather the players that want the capes so they can go

bragging to [their] friends

despite putting in no personal effort whatsoever. Makes you wonder where their self respect is, doesn't it?
Not saying you do if that isn't clear, but that's my perception of the botter psyche.

Many players are mere shells of what they once were as for hours on end they repeat the same task merely for a cape. This is what is truly doing damage to the community.

What did people actually do before skillcapes came out? Did they actually do nothing but play together with their friends all the time?
Compare old school melee training, such as in the Legends' Guild with shadow warriors, with today's Slayer, in various locations. Both give interaction with other players and I generally find myself still talking to other people during tasks. Same as back then, they'd train for hours on end so that they could get to 126 combat, how is that different from owning a few melee capes?

We are now playing a dying game. Internet Research company Alexa has shown a 32% decrease in pageviews of Runescape.com over the last 3 months.

Thanks for my weekly dose of doomsaying, as usual.

There is nothing more we can do, except: play the game for fun,

Already doing that.

hang out with your friends more,

Already doing that in Dungeoneering.

be inviting to new players,

Already doing that with new clan members in DG.

do not demean players for not having a certain skillcape,

Are you serious?

and STOP WORRYING ABOUT 99s.

WHAT, ME WORRY?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users