Martial Arts in RuneScape - possible idea for JaGex?

I was wondering - would Martial Arts in RuneScape work?

Things like Muay Thai, TKD, KickBoxing, Sanda, Ninjutsu, BJJ, Wing Chun, Silat, Krav Maga, etc. can all bring great things to RS, but would it be viable?

Examples of moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bPM7i-uuK4

No, cuz weapon > bare hands..?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I've always wanted melee combat to involve more than weapons, and actual brawling with just improv weapons or hand-to-hand.

Sadly I don't see how they could implement this, short of releasing a new attack skill.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Easter lands>new skill>Martial arts attacks> `Can work

But ----------Jagex don't give a [bleep]:)

You may say "It will never work", "It's to much animations", "It will suck" and so on. But Runescape sucked big time in the beginning, and things improved from there on. Look at Runescape now.

I could imagine a skill that improves unarmed combat but realistically it's never going to be more powerful than the strongest weapon, and people would just [bleep] about it making the weaker weapons literally useless.

I don't see how this could be implemented into the current game.

CNqWHdA.jpg

It doesn't necessarily have to conform to the mechanics of conventional combat - There could be a totally new 'defense' system in this kind of combat. Certain types of attacks are more vulnerable to specific counter attacks, like a dodge + left hook against a spinning backfist in TKD/Muay thai.

I know it'll be difficult to implement within the current game, given the systems we have in place, but the concept could still work pretty good - perhaps a duel arena thing. It would make boxing a lot more fun too, and it could bring some 'skill' into staking.

Cool idea, but I wouldn't welcome a new attack and defense skill nor hand-to-hand combat. Seems like too much to add to the game for something that won't/can't be as powerful as weapons we already have.

VsaJs.jpg

Do note that martial arts aren't only about hand to hand combat - it's also about improving combat with weaponry too.

Still, the thing that I've noticed about martial arts is that it focuses on learning about the strengths and weaknesses of the human body. We need weapons, because no matter how many pressure points I learn about, I still need a freaking sword to kill a dragon. And to be honest I think the attack still is already supposed to do something like this, it's just that the amount of dedicated animations something like this would take up would be enormous especially since it would probably need to vary for enemies with different body types. I suppose this might work in some kind of pvp exclusive combat but at that point it'll probably become to niche to justify the enormous amount of dev time that would need to be sunk in order to make this effective.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Do note that martial arts aren't only about hand to hand combat - it's also about improving combat with weaponry too.

Still, the thing that I've noticed about martial arts is that it focuses on learning about the strengths and weaknesses of the human body. We need weapons, because no matter how many pressure points I learn about, I still need a freaking sword to kill a dragon. And to be honest I think the attack still is already supposed to do something like this, it's just that the amount of dedicated animations something like this would take up would be enormous especially since it would probably need to vary for enemies with different body types. I suppose this might work in some kind of pvp exclusive combat but at that point it'll probably become to niche to justify the enormous amount of dev time that would need to be sunk in order to make this effective.

Fair point - but there's a large variety of monsters that are humanoids anyways, so the same would apply for them really. I guess Slayer is supposed to teach us how to effectively kill a monster too, maybe a tweak in Slayer and Attack will work...

I like the idea, but as others have said, it's hard to see where it'd fit in in a practical manor. The main problem that I see is armor. Bare knuckled fighting might be cool if neither player is wearing anything, but throwing your fist into a guy's rune platebody isn't going to do much. I suppose they could always ignore that fact, as you can still damage with punches and kicks how they are now...but it just seems to me like something they'd want to take into consideration if they added such a considerable amount of content.

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

Like others have said while it might be cool I can't see it fitting in too well.

Martial arts are mostly bare-handed.

Yes some use weapons, but weapon-based fighting is already well setup in rs and unlikely to merge into a new skill/ability.

Then you look at everyone with weapons and armours and what not and they just don't see so feasible; unless they were introduced as some sort of stealth combat class. eg you can sneak up behind a monster and use martial arts to try and ko it before it can even attack you, but even then thts epically limited.

I think a martial arts area that would be feasible would be to add an assassin type hybrid-class that combines magic, ranged and melee elements to be stealthy but deadly with poison etc. It'd have to be a class that is weak (in direct combat) to all 3 normal classes, but executed correctly could overpower them. But even then there is the issue of how far it could be applied beyond specific monsters etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I can't imagine a combat system based around weapons and armour, while at the same time having a martial arts combat system where you don't really use weapons/armour. You'd need some sort of class system to separate the hand-to-hand fighters from the shield/sword users. And RS isn't a class-based game at all.

Really, in a RPG game like RS, martial arts fighting is just another combat style. All it offers is being able to save money by not getting weapons/armour.

What I'm getting it, all that martial arts would be is an alternative to melee combat. Having a character with access to both simply means that the meta-game determines which one is better, and the other one becomes obsolete.

To me, this is the sort of thing that can only work in a class-based game. At which point they are called monks.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

You have martial arts. I have a chaotic crossbow/rapier.

Come at me bro.

Edit: And don't talk about bringing skill into staking. All you would do is ruin something that people love.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Martial arts does incorporate weaponry too.... watch some of the vids on the OP and you'll see

I think the proposal would be viable if it were in a designated arena, much like the Duel Arena Tournaments, or the Fight Pits. Or, as others have stated, stealth combat.

Martial arts = combat skills. The animations for different punches etc. are just that, visual aid to imagine what the combat actually looks like (or just an annoying distraction from the metagame).

If you want more varied unarmed combat I'm not with you, I don't care at all for using fists. It's not an efficient way to dispose of someone.

If you want more varied attacks with weapons in general, I'm not with you either; I don't see the difference between, say, a diagonal cut or a horizontal one being of any use in the current game. It would require such a major revamp that the actual attacks become minor details.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

My concern is that it'd mess with the combat mechanic. I.e. because combat works on a dice roll system, each type of punch/kick/whatever would have a different max att/str/def roll. This would mean that there's going to be one move that's higher dps than the others, and that would mean it wouldn't take any skill at all.

This would only work if Jagex completely changed the way that combat works, and I'm not convinced it'd be for the better.

@Quyneax; My proposal is no trivial matter - I'm proposing a combat mechanic overhaul in mainly unarmoured combat, preferably within some form of minigame like Duel Arena Tournaments. There is no exclusive attack in Martial Arts that's good against everything - every attack will have a weaknesses. As I've said many times already, Martial Arts does incorporate weaponry - like the Ninjutsu move with the swords. I realise that it's difficult to implement in this kind of game, but it's not impossible. Difficult, maybe. Impossible, no.

I do like the idea of a 'hybrid class', which, when executed correctly, can be devastating although it may be weak in general against the other combat styles (melee, mage, ranged).

Unarmed combat is a significant part of staking, it's just working out how to implement the idea to be feasible. I think it'll work - it'll just take some time.

@Quyneax; My proposal is no trivial matter - I'm proposing a combat mechanic overhaul in mainly unarmoured combat, preferably within some form of minigame like Duel Arena Tournaments. There is no exclusive attack in Martial Arts that's good against everything - every attack will have a weaknesses. As I've said many times already, Martial Arts does incorporate weaponry - like the Ninjutsu move with the swords. I realise that it's difficult to implement in this kind of game, but it's not impossible. Difficult, maybe. Impossible, no.

You speak of "Martial Arts" like it's a certain collection of movement or whatever, but it really isn't. Martial arts: "Martial arts are extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development." (Wikipedia). From that we gather that the term 'martial arts' refers to the collection of such systems but is not itself one of them (also I don't see where I ever denied that martial arts involve weapons...?).

Secondly I would argue that implementing any such system in Runescape is useless and doesn't actually improve the game.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted